PDA

View Full Version : Did early PS2 games have different cases?

Fuzzball24
11-04-2007, 04:06 PM
I bought Timesplitters on PS2 used awhile back, and I'm wondering if this is the original case. I saw a copy of Unreal Tournament for PS2 used at Gamestop awhile back, but I didn't buy it because it had a case similar to this and I wasn't sure if it was the original case.

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g282/powerplayernick/DSC00728.jpg

walrusmonger
11-04-2007, 04:08 PM
My copy of Armored Core 2 (early ps2 release) is in a stock box, and I owned timesplitters but dont have it to check, but I'm pretty sure a few original ps2 games came in generic boxes.

chrisbid
11-04-2007, 04:18 PM
the memory card slot in PS2 cases were not in launch titles. im not sure exactly when they started including the slots, but im pretty sure it was less than a year after launch.

Fuzzball24
11-04-2007, 04:40 PM
Alright, thanks.

Promophile
11-04-2007, 04:54 PM
My first PS2 game, Dynasty Warriors 2, has the memory card slot, and I'm pretty sure it was released a few days after launch.

itobandito
11-04-2007, 05:14 PM
yeah my original SSX game from launch has no memory card holder either.

roushimsx
11-04-2007, 05:21 PM
Ring of Red didn't have the memory card slot either.

Interestingly enough, the Japanese version of Ring of Red had the memory card slot (it came out ~2 weeks after the PS2 launch in japan, IIRC) as do the two Japanese launch games I picked up (Street Fighter EX3 and Ridge Racer V).

Anyone know if the UK got shafted with some non-memory card slot cases around launch as well or was it just a US thing?

Xexyz
11-04-2007, 05:23 PM
Gradius III & IV is another no memory card slot release.

Fuzzball24
11-04-2007, 05:33 PM
Does anybody know if Unreal Tournament was a no memory card release?

Dangerboy
11-04-2007, 05:43 PM
Not to burst anyone's variant bubble hunting...

But there's a *third* case now.

a. The original 'DVD Case'
All launch games, several games after that...

b. The PS2 Memory Card Case
Just like the Japanese ones, has the slot above the DVD tray

c. The new "PS2 DVD Case"
No memory card slot, but now there is a PS2 logo above the tray. Introduced about a month ago. I think Juiced 2 has it, as well as 4 others within that time frame. I'm on vacation this week so I can't go in and see which cases have the new feature.

Looks like a small bit of plastic saved per case is a money saving idea...

Jason

PDorr3
11-04-2007, 05:47 PM
Has anyone noticed that some PS2 cases (I am not sure about all of them) are actualy a very dark blue and not black? maybe its just me but if you hold them up to the light you can see some blue, atleast on the older cases.

MrRoboto19XX
11-04-2007, 06:12 PM
Has anyone noticed that some PS2 cases (I am not sure about all of them) are actualy a very dark blue and not black? maybe its just me but if you hold them up to the light you can see some blue, atleast on the older cases.

I too haver noticed this. Odd, isn't it?

PapaStu
11-04-2007, 06:32 PM
For something close to the first year the PS2 cases didn't have memory card slots. They were then all worked out and had moved on to the standard Memory card PS2 cased games. I've not bought but a few PS2 games the last year or so (and hardly any have even been opened) so I've not noticed this new third style.

In America all PS2 cases are of that Dark Blue color. Always have been. Put them next to a black case and they really stand out. Its really no different than the Xbox (or 360) Green/Silver cases, the white Wii cases or the squared corner cases for the GameCube. Sony, like everyone else just likes their cases to stand out and for your mind to say, 'Oh thats a PS2 case'.

Niku-Sama
11-04-2007, 07:21 PM
i have got a factory sealed choroQ thats definitly black and not dark blue.
i also bought it for $1

a couple of my imports do not have memory card slots. GranTurismo Concept from korea has no slot for example

mEgAsHoT
11-04-2007, 08:34 PM
Not to burst anyone's variant bubble hunting...

But there's a *third* case now.

a. The original 'DVD Case'
All launch games, several games after that...

b. The PS2 Memory Card Case
Just like the Japanese ones, has the slot above the DVD tray

No memory card slot, but now there is a PS2 logo above the tray. Introduced about a month ago. I think Juiced 2 has it, as well as 4 others within that time frame. I'm on vacation this week so I can't go in and see which cases have the new feature.

Jason

I can confirm that the PS2 version of Guitar Hero III is in the form of that new "PS2 DVD Case" with no memory card slot and a Playstation logo above the tray. This was the first time I have seen this type of case used for a PS2 game, as the rest of my PS2 games have a memory card slot above the DVD tray.

With Timesplitters, my copy of it came in the DVD case with the memory card slot...that's odd considering I bought it new/sealed from Blockbuster a few years back (like 2002/2003). I have never seen the original launch games in a case with no memory card slot, at least in my area.

roushimsx
11-04-2007, 11:00 PM
i also bought it for $1

I know I'm in the extreme minority (http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps2/choroq), but that's a hell of a good deal. I (http://www.roushimsx.com/wp/?p=2) loved (http://www.roushimsx.com/wp/?p=12) that (http://www.roushimsx.com/wp/?p=15) game (http://archives.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1649445).

yok-dfa
11-05-2007, 06:01 AM

I have a bunch of PAL PS2 games in black cases. Also i have at least 2 PAL games in a white PS2 case (Max Payne and some of the Singstar games) (and let's not forget that all platinum edition games come in ugly grey cases)...

Emuaust
11-05-2007, 08:22 PM
The third variant has been used in pal land for a long time, infact there hasnt been a memory card holder cover for a long time.

We also have ps2 blue cases as well.

yok-dfa
11-06-2007, 03:15 AM
BTW i checked my white Max Payne case yesterday and it does not have a memory card holder.

Kitsune Sniper
11-06-2007, 09:18 AM

It was introduced a loooooooooooooong time before that - my copy of Devil May Cry 1 in the 5th Anniversary Collection has one of those. I haven't opened the other two, yet.

Oobgarm
11-06-2007, 10:20 AM
i also bought it for $1

I'd love to see detailed pictures of this.

Bluteg
11-06-2007, 05:44 PM

Back when I collected early PS2 games I noticed quite a few had a blueish tint to it.

SkiDragon
11-06-2007, 06:42 PM
Man, I feel really bad because I bought some used PS2 games in what I thought were generic DVD cases, and switched the cases to the "standard" PS2 cases, and probably threw out the original cases.

ProgrammingAce
11-06-2007, 11:51 PM

Jason

It has more to do with QA and failure rates. Those little lumps of plastic were kind of a bitch to get out of the press.

In America all PS2 cases are of that Dark Blue color. Always have been.

There may be some black cases out there. When the 4th quarter gets hot and heavy, sony will sometimes offload the cases to a different manufacturer, in which case the coloring may not match. I've seen some ship that may as well have been straight blue.

bcks007
03-08-2008, 09:12 AM
Games i own with the new style ps2 case are, (all bought brand new)
Soul Nomad & the World Eaters 09/25/07
Mountain Bike Adrenaline 10/09/07
The King of Fighters XI 11/13/07
NeoGeo Battle Coliseum 12/17/07
Call of Duty: Legacy 11/14/07 (this is a double case game, both games have it)

Other games that are claimed to have it, (I don't own these, so can't confirm)
Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock 10/28/07
Transformers: The Game 06/26/07
Juiced 2: Hot Import Nights 09/17/07
Devil May Cry - 5th Anniversary Collection (there are 2 versions of this box set, i think only the white box version would have the new cases.) (Unsure when white box version came out)

Some fairly new games that do have the memory card case, (i own these)
Hitman Trilogy 06/30/07
Biker Mice from Mars 06/05/07
GrimGrimoire 06/26/07
Odin Sphere 05/22/07
Swashbucklers: Blue vs. Grey 11/20/07

Swashbucklers seems like the odd man out so far, i wish i had some more "new" release games, but i tend to wait till prices go down for the new games, before i buy them.

Oobgarm
03-08-2008, 10:57 AM
Picked up copies of .hack GU vol.3 and it had the new case. Had to return it since it was scratched, and got one in the Mem Card holder-style case.

bcks007
03-12-2008, 07:09 AM
3 more games that have the new case.

Cocoto Fishing Master (this seems like a un-heard of game to me)
PopCap Hits Volume 1
Yu-Gi-Oh! GX: The Beginning of Destiny

Anybody know anything about Cocoto Fishing Master? I just recently found this game about a week ago on ebay, and had no idea it came out or when.

I also just found Biathlon 2008, a ps2 release in February, i had never seen any news about these 2 games. Very low key if if you ask me.

segagamer
03-13-2008, 12:32 AM
Games i own with the new style ps2 case are, (all bought brand new)
Soul Nomad & the World Eaters 09/25/07
Mountain Bike Adrenaline 10/09/07
The King of Fighters XI 11/13/07
NeoGeo Battle Coliseum 12/17/07
Call of Duty: Legacy 11/14/07 (this is a double case game, both games have it)

Other games that are claimed to have it, (I don't own these, so can't confirm)
Guitar Hero III: Legends of Rock 10/28/07
Transformers: The Game 06/26/07
Juiced 2: Hot Import Nights 09/17/07
Devil May Cry - 5th Anniversary Collection (there are 2 versions of this box set, i think only the white box version would have the new cases.) (Unsure when white box version came out)

Some fairly new games that do not have the memory card case, (i own these)
Hitman Trilogy 06/30/07
Biker Mice from Mars 06/05/07
GrimGrimoire 06/26/07
Odin Sphere 05/22/07
Swashbucklers: Blue vs. Grey 11/20/07

Swashbucklers seems like the odd man out so far, i wish i had some more "new" release games, but i tend to wait till prices go down for the new games, before i buy them.

I hate to say it, but my copies of GrimGrimoire and Odin Sphere do have the memory card holder. It may be that yours were bought recently??? Mine were bought on release day.

bcks007
03-13-2008, 06:53 AM
I hate to say it, but my copies of GrimGrimoire and Odin Sphere do have the memory card holder. It may be that yours were bought recently??? Mine were bought on release day.

Whoops, yeah my grammar can be bad, take the word not, out of my original post. I edited my post from earlier, sorry about that mistake. Surely you understood what i meant to say?

yok-dfa
03-13-2008, 07:17 AM
3 more games that have the new case.
Anybody know anything about Cocoto Fishing Master? I just recently found this game about a week ago on ebay, and had no idea it came out or when.

In that case i guess you also never heard of:

Cocoto Funfair
Cocoto Kart
Cocoto Platform jumper

:D

bcks007
03-14-2008, 04:00 AM
Considering Cocoto Magic Circus(not out yet) for the wii, and Cocoto Kart Racer for the DS and Cocoto Fishing Master for the ps2, are the only ntsc versions for this particular character, then yeah i know nothing about this game. It seems to be alot bigger in Europe for the Cocoto games, and is getting a few USA released games.

bcks007
03-17-2008, 07:02 PM
New ps2 case style
Jumper: Griffin's Story

bcks007
04-21-2008, 07:07 AM
Here are some more new style ps2 cases.

Crash Bandicoot Action Pack (all 3 have it)
El Tigre: The Adventures of Manny Rivera
Metal Slug Anthology (bought used recently, not sure if case is original it came with)

Oobgarm
04-21-2008, 07:12 AM
Most new games come with it now.

DeputyMoniker
04-21-2008, 08:24 AM
I just checked a stack of cases and my Ridge Racer V and Theme Park: Roller Coaster do not have memory card slots. I have some more early releases that I can look at but I'm still in the process of unpacking.

DOL_001
04-21-2008, 06:34 PM
My Metal Gear Solid Essentials come in the new type of case. MGS1's double disc case is also a new type (PS logo in place of memory card holder).

bcks007
05-17-2008, 06:28 AM
More new cases.

Iron Man
Winter Sports 2008: The Ultimate Challenge
Colosseum: Road to Freedom (got a reprint, got it new and sealed, from amazon)

josekortez
05-17-2008, 06:50 PM
I know I'm in the extreme minority (http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ps2/choroq), but that's a hell of a good deal. I (http://www.roushimsx.com/wp/?p=2) loved (http://www.roushimsx.com/wp/?p=12) that (http://www.roushimsx.com/wp/?p=15) game (http://archives.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1649445).

I've got a sealed Choro Q, but I won't open it to see what the case looks like.

Zing
05-22-2008, 08:05 AM
My copy of Okami has the new style case.

Gentlegamer
05-22-2008, 11:57 AM
Fatal Fury Battle Archives has the new style case.

bcks007
06-29-2008, 05:33 AM
Baroque
Sea Monsters: A Prehistoric Adventure

Both recently got....

Niku-Sama
06-29-2008, 06:45 AM
I've got a sealed Choro Q, but I won't open it to see what the case looks like.

the one i picked up for $1 is still sealed but i bought it after i already had a copy, its slightly gnawed on, its in a blue memory card case though

bcks007
07-07-2008, 08:23 AM
The Spiderwick Chronicles

Nature Boy
07-07-2008, 03:40 PM

They're actually *all* dark blue in my experience (60+ titles). If you get a PS2 game not in a dark blue case I'd guess it was used and swapped or something.

The memory card thing I don't know about at all. I'll check SSX, Tekken Tag Tournament, Midnight Club, and Gradius III & IV when I think of it (the first three I bought launch day, the last I bought after the fact)

bcks007
07-11-2008, 02:58 AM
Barbie as The Island Princess
Chaos Wars
George of the Jungle
Madden NFL 08 en Espaņol
World Championship Cards
World Championship Paintball

Oobgarm
07-11-2008, 06:18 AM
At this point, pretty much all newer games are going to be in the 'new' different case. The only thing I think is worth noting is an older game that comes sealed with the new case.

Bumping this listing every few days to mention new games really isn't necessary.

ScourDX
07-12-2008, 12:32 AM
I feel like the newer PS2 games have flimsy case compare to the older one. It feels like Xbox360 & Wii soft case.

SkiDragon
07-21-2008, 02:56 AM
This thread could use some picture comparisons of the different case styles. I just bought the original "Devil May Cry", used, and it came with a case without a memory card. However, it still had the PS2 logo above the disc slot.

Nature Boy
07-21-2008, 09:21 AM
My Tekken has a memory card slot, but I think I swapped that case at some point because it was damaged or something.

The other three games I mentioned (SSX, Midnight Club, and Gradius III & IV) are all without the memory card slot in them. I didn't look for further differences (too lazy) :)

PapaStu
07-21-2008, 10:50 AM
This thread could use some picture comparisons of the different case styles. I just bought the original "Devil May Cry", used, and it came with a case without a memory card. However, it still had the PS2 logo above the disc slot.

I don't have any early style game cases here with me in the apartment, they are all back at my parents house (yeah lack of space!), but i've got the other two styles.

SSX I pulled off of ebay, the Noabunga's and Amplitude pics are of games i've got here with me.

SSX (http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k252/PapaStu/da03_1.jpg)

Amplitude (http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k252/PapaStu/IMG_1092.jpg)

Noabunga's (http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k252/PapaStu/IMG_1093.jpg)

Oobgarm
07-21-2008, 10:54 AM
As Stu's pictures show, the hub/tray style and the inclusion of the PS logo are they way to tell a new case from the older non-mem card case.

SkiDragon
07-21-2008, 10:56 PM
Thanks a lot.

Well, that third case is what my used copy of Devil May Cry came in. Since it was bought used it doesn't really mean anything. I would like to know what case it originally came in.

That first style is one that I could easily have thrown out without knowing any better.

It would be helpful to make a chart out of this thread, or add the info to the rarity guide.

bcks007
07-22-2008, 05:36 AM
Well the problem with that is reprints. Every game that will get a reprint from now on, will most likely have the 3rd case. So unless someone have been keeping track from 2000, it will be impossible i think.
I do believe the first style case wasn't use much, cept for the 1st and 2nd year. I can't imagine games getting a reprint in that style case either.

The 3rd style case does help determine what games got reprints if you managed to get a new copy of it. I have 2 games that came in the new style case, that where released awhile back before that case was used.

Oobgarm
07-22-2008, 06:46 AM
It would be helpful to make a chart out of this thread, or add the info to the rarity guide.

Man, that would be really tough, if not nearly impossible. Best I could do is approximate when the first game in each case showed up, and you could check that against the release dates of each title. Nailing down a particular title is going to be a difficult task.

Noting the case differences in the guide is something I'd like to do, along with mentioning the stopping point for the 'official seal sticker' that went across the top of sealed games. It would be tough to tell what reprinted games had new cases, keeping in mind the fact that many used games could have had their cases switched at the store.

I'd say the first game I know of that had the 2nd 'memory card' style case was Zone of the Enders, which was out in late March of 2001, so I'd use that as a basis for when the case first showed up.

As far as the 3rd (new) one, I'd say early-mid October of 2007 would be a good estimate, with a few strays before that date.

PapaStu
07-22-2008, 02:23 PM
It would be quite a pointless task. About 85% of all the games are only going to have the second style of case. There will be some with the crossover, but that'll be about it. The only reason it would be nice to ballpark it is to see when they shifted case design.

The reason your DMC came in that 3rd style case is because its from the recent three pack reprinting. That case is right for that version of the game SkiDragon.

PapaStu
07-22-2008, 02:24 PM
Man, that would be really tough, if not nearly impossible. Best I could do is approximate when the first game in each case showed up, and you could check that against the release dates of each title. Nailing down a particular title is going to be a difficult task.

Noting the case differences in the guide is something I'd like to do, along with mentioning the stopping point for the 'official seal sticker' that went across the top of sealed games. It would be tough to tell what reprinted games had new cases, keeping in mind the fact that many used games could have had their cases switched at the store.

The seal stopped right at Metal Slug 4/5's release. Anything post that I can almost guarantee came white sticker free.

SkiDragon
07-22-2008, 08:57 PM
The reason your DMC came in that 3rd style case is because its from the recent three pack reprinting. That case is right for that version of the game SkiDragon.

Good call. The insert says "Part of a Set". I didn't notice that before.

SkiDragon
09-11-2008, 12:14 AM
How about Oni? I just bought a used copy in really good shape, but the case has no memory card slot and no marks that would identify it as a PS2 case. Can anybody confirm if that's the right case?

DigitalSpace
09-11-2008, 12:18 AM
IIRC, Oni was a really early PS2 release (if not a launch title), so that's probably the right case.

PapaStu
09-11-2008, 10:41 AM
How about Oni? I just bought a used copy in really good shape, but the case has no memory card slot and no marks that would identify it as a PS2 case. Can anybody confirm if that's the right case?

Hold it up to a standard DVD case. If they look different (and the Oni case) has the dark purple/blue look to it, then it should be the right case. Oni was just post launch so it should look just like that SSX case I posted a little farther up in the thread.

bcks007
09-16-2008, 12:07 AM
I think there is a new ps2 case!!!

I bought Yakuza 2 recently, it wasn't sealed, but was new from gamestop. It was there last copy, and thus the display copy on the floor. So unless they have special cases for ps2 games, this is a 4th version.

Its very similar to the 3rd style case, but a tad different. I will list the differences here.

The 4th style case has a smaller PS logo above where you put the cd on the spindle.
It also has only 3 gaps in the circle part that surrounds the cd.
It also has a small plastic piece sticking up in the dead center of the case where it bends, I guess this is to keep the manual from sliding over to the disc side...
The mini wall divider that is on the 3rd style case, that is at the spot where you bend/close the case, on the inside, is no longer on the 4th style case.
The company that makes ps2 case's, called AMARAY has there logo almost always on the lower left side on the inside, on the disc holding side. Its nowhere to be found on the 4th case. New company perhaps making this cases?, or just not there anymore....?
There is small ledge on the manual side of the 4th style, near dead center between the 2 manual holding clips.
The spindle part has 3 slits on the 3rd style case, on the the 4th style case it has 8 slits.
It has quite a few different types of edges on the inside of case, then the 3rd style.

It also imo, appears to be tougher, as when i put a little pressure with my fingers on the case, you can hear the 3rd style case creak just a bit. The 4th style case does not creak.

Could someone please confirm this 4th style case, just so i know there 100% legit and i didn't get some bogus case.

Has any one seen a double cd case in the 3rd or 4th style yet? Pics if possible please. :)

DigitalSpace
09-17-2008, 05:59 AM
Has any one seen a double cd case in the 3rd or 4th style yet?

I'm not able to provide a photo, but I bought the GH version of God of War II (which, btw, is $9.99 at Circuit City through Saturday) on Monday, and it's in a third style double case. Imagine how a third style case would look with the extra holder for the second disc (and the plastic tabs to snap it in and out of the case), and there you go.

DeSt-Cyr
09-17-2008, 07:09 AM
This is an example of what bcks007 has been describing.
http://photos-c.ak.facebook.com/photos-ak-snc1/v318/25/43/802469347/n802469347_1309802_3113.jpg

bcks007
09-17-2008, 08:04 AM
Thats the 3rd style btw^

Does any one have a Yakuza 2 case by any chance?, or perhaps from a different game, it should look very close to the picture above, but a tad different like my post says.

bcks007
09-18-2008, 06:51 PM
Yakuza 2 owners, help me out please. :)

Kitsune Sniper
09-18-2008, 07:24 PM
but I bought the GH version of God of War II (which, btw, is $9.99 at Circuit City through Saturday)

OH DAMMIT I HATE LIVING OUT IN THE FRIGGIN WASTELANDS >_<

I can't get that game for less than $30 here! &@#$@#&

bcks007
09-24-2008, 05:07 AM
Someone else has to have bought a new copy of Yakuza 2.....

Please?

Chainclaw
12-28-2008, 11:19 PM
I picked up Odin Sphere, SNK Arcade Classics Vol 1, and King of Fighters XI for the PS2 today. None of them have the memory card holder in them.

I don't like seeing these gone from PS2 games, especially with multiplayer games like the two SNK games, I like bringing my saves with me.

I thought this was the neatest thing when I picked up Ring of Red years ago. I have used it a lot, but every once in a while when we want to boot up an older game like The Bouncer, I need to grab a second game that happens to have a memory card holder.

edit: I checked some other games I've picked up recently, NEO-GEO Battle Coliseum, Street Fighter Anniversary Collection, do not have it, Taito Legends 2 has a holder.

dao2
12-29-2008, 12:08 AM
guess they're trying to save money.....

darkslime
12-29-2008, 12:33 AM
This started sometime last year.
Sony is being cheap.

savageone
12-29-2008, 12:47 AM
Like Darkslime said it was some time late last year. I think the first game I noticed it on was Neo Geo Battle Coliseum.

I can't say I really miss them though, never used them. Although about ~5 years back I did score a Fantavision off eBay for $5 and lo and behold there was a nice Sony branded memory card stuck in there, good value! I still have and use that memory card. :) I did the right thing and asked if the seller wanted that back but never got a reply, heh.

roushimsx
12-29-2008, 12:51 AM
I thought this was the neatest thing when I picked up Ring of Red years ago.

My US release of Ring of Red didn't have the memory card holder but my Japanese release did :(

Chainclaw
12-29-2008, 01:39 AM
I was frustrated that 360 games don't have memory card holders. Still haven't figured out the process of bringing PS3 saves over to someone else's place. SD card holders in Wii games would have been nice (although saves not locked to the damn system would have been nicer).

The 1 2 P
12-29-2008, 02:08 AM
guess they're trying to save money.....

Sony is being cheap.

Just wait. Next year PS2 games will no longer have picture disc. All games will be sold on generic Sony RW dvds that look like they were bought from a flea market.

bcks007
12-29-2008, 02:19 AM
There are actually 4 different versions of the ps2 cases. Not counting the double cd cases, of which i know of 2 of those. There is a topic about the new case styles, and I being a collector, was posting every new game i got with the the new style case, and even started to talk about the 4th style case. People got annoyed i was posting so much, and i stopped updating the info i found.
You should revive that topic. ;)

My copy of Colosseum: Road to Freedom was a reprint from amazon, since its a old game, and it did come with the new style case.
So im guessing your Street Fighter Anniversary Collection had the new case style? Was it new? If so, then it must have been a reprint.
It happened mid summer of '07 the new style case. The first time i noticed the 4th style was when i picked up Speed Racer and a non-sealed yakuza

PapaStu
12-29-2008, 02:21 AM
I picked up Odin Sphere, SNK Arcade Classics Vol 1, and King of Fighters XI for the PS2 today. None of them have the memory card holder in them.

I don't like seeing these gone from PS2 games, especially with multiplayer games like the two SNK games, I like bringing my saves with me.

I thought this was the neatest thing when I picked up Ring of Red years ago. I have used it a lot, but every once in a while when we want to boot up an older game like The Bouncer, I need to grab a second game that happens to have a memory card holder.

edit: I checked some other games I've picked up recently, NEO-GEO Battle Coliseum, Street Fighter Anniversary Collection, do not have it, Taito Legends 2 has a holder.

Merging with a thread that has been ongoing for a while now. Chainclaw, check back the last few pages to see what a few guys have been tracking for a while now.

TheGam3r
01-21-2009, 10:25 AM
my top gear dare devil doest have a memory card slot

porlino87
04-21-2011, 10:05 PM
Ok so whats the conclusion? When did all the transitions occur?

I'm new to collecting PS2 games. I used to live in Turkey, where all the games were bootleg copies... (not good for collecting obviously)

When did all the transitions occur?

In specific, what type of case should my Black Label Devil May Cry 3: Special Edition have? This was released in the 5th anniversary box set with DMC 1 and 2

THANKS!!!

porlino87
04-22-2011, 03:43 AM
[QUOTE=bcks007;1432616]I think there is a new ps2 case!!!

Could someone please confirm this 4th style case, just so i know there 100% legit and i didn't get some bogus case.

Has any one seen a double cd case in the 3rd or 4th style yet? Pics if possible please. :)[/QUOTE

Yes I have this exact same one as you described. It came with my new Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne. This is different than the 3rd style.

Would you happen to know if the Devil May Cry 5th Anniversary box set came with the 4th style cases? 3rd style cases? I am trying to complete my collection

bcks007
04-22-2011, 05:00 AM
Thanks for reviving a useful topic. for us ps2 collectors. :)

So which version of this box set, do you have?

Anyway there are 2 versions Devil May Cry: 5th Anniversary Collection.
The first edition is a black artwork style on the case.
http://cgi.ebay.com/PS2-DEVIL-MAY-CRY-5TH-ANNIVERSARY-BOX-SET-GAME-BUNDLE-/140537264939?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item20b8ac7b2b
The 2nd edition is a white artwork style on the case.
http://www.gamefaqs.com/ps2/953952-devil-may-cry-5th-anniversary-collection/images/box-80665
and,
http://cgi.ebay.com/DEVIL-MAY-CRY-5TH-ANNIVERSARY-COLLECTION-PS2-PS3-RARE-/330555953375?pt=Video_Games_Games&hash=item4cf6ab90df

Both have different pictures of Dante on the cover. I only own the 2nd edition(white cover), I'm unsure the date it came out, but it wasn't the same release date as the black cover version. If you want me to check the white cover version that I own for the case style I will, just let me know. The black style cases should be the 2nd style, based on it got released on 10/24/06. The white artwork came out 6 months to a year+ down the road, it could be either(2nd or 3rd), based on the new 3rd style popping up half way through 2007, plus if gets reprinted, or already has been reprinted, it would come in the 4th case(possible). The black artwork one prolly was 1st print release only and never got reprints, expect to switch to the new artwork.
I hope you can follow all this, my grammar isn't the best.@_@

porlino87
04-22-2011, 05:22 AM
bcks007,

I have the black cover, not the white. Could you please check your version of the box set and let me know?

Type 2 for the black box? Some guy on gamespot forums said it should be either type 3 or type 4...
http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic/28574650/black-label-devil-may-cry-3-special-edition-jewel-case-confusion?tag=topics%3Btitle

however....ebay agrees with you (type 2):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&_trksid=p4340.l2557&item=260759214053&nma=true&rt=nc&si=EYCEjMlnVjwM4lssso2%252FFCkuewk%253D

porlino87
04-22-2011, 05:37 AM
Thanks for reviving a useful topic. for us ps2 collectors. :)

So which version of this box set, do you have?

bcks007,

I have the black cover, not the white. Could you please check your version of the box set and let me know?

Type 2 for the black box? Some guy on gamespot forums said it should be either type 3 or type 4...
http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic...topics%3Btitle

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...2FFCkuewk%253D

duffmanth
04-22-2011, 10:32 AM
Yeah knowing Gamestop, they probably took some destroyed disc they found on the floor in the back of the store and put it in any random DVD case they could find.

gamegenie
04-22-2011, 11:22 AM
Yes. First gen PS2 game cases (that contains games still burned to CDROM) did not contain the space for your memory card.

bcks007
04-22-2011, 05:58 PM
bcks007,

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/topic...topics%3Btitle

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...2FFCkuewk%253D

Sure I will try and find it in my mess of games tonight after work. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

bcks007
04-23-2011, 08:18 AM
Sure I will try and find it in my mess of games tonight after work. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

Alright I opened it up just for you. :p I bought the white version sometime in 2010 I believe, so I should have guessed what type it was, it being the 4th type.@_@

porlino87
04-23-2011, 02:18 PM
wow...intereresting. So I have sources that show that what I have, should be 2nd, 3rd OR 4th type cases! what a nightmare! I guess I'll just stick with the 3rd because thats what I have :) Thanks, friend.