PDA

View Full Version : Official PSP Thread!

Pages : [1] 2

digitalpress
03-24-2005, 09:40 AM
Hey, because lots of people are going to be playing or buying this today on launch day - or thereabouts, please post your opinions on the system, the games, launch day in general, or anything else PSP related HERE.

This will eliminate the dozens of threads we'd likely see otherwise :)

PS I don't want to see any flaming in here. Or else!

Kilik Kurosawa
03-24-2005, 09:48 AM
PS I don't want to see any flaming in here. Or else!

Buy a DS!!! :D jk

Can't wait to see my brothers' I am envious of those of you who can drop that much on a portable. oh well i probably pick one up on the third or fourth run of them. can we see some pics of those out there who got one? what was the atmosphere like? anyone have the disk popping out thing happen?

98PaceCar
03-24-2005, 09:53 AM
For the people that have gotten theirs already, did you get Ridge Racers as part of the pack?

Oobgarm
03-24-2005, 09:56 AM
I did the trade in thing at Gamerush. They were giving $5 extra per title on top of trade in values, so I took advantage of it and cleaned out my collection of stuff I'd never play. Got enough in trade for it and 3 games, plus some leftover.

I'm a bit concerned about the dead pixel issue; I've checked on IGN, PlayStation.com, and gamefaqs(I know, I know), and they each have large threads dedicated to dead pixels. :/

Still, I'm excited to go get mine after I get off work and try out Lumines, Untold Legends, and Need for Speed. :D

link1110
03-24-2005, 10:17 AM
Got mine today. None of the launch titles interest me too much, so I have Tales of Eternia in the mail. Shoul dbe here tomorrow.

NintendoMan
03-24-2005, 10:37 AM
i too am anxious to see how many people picked one up today and how the games play. Also, I can't wait to hear how good the analog stick does work? The only game that looks any good to me, really good, is Twisted metal, espcially since it's online, I wanna see how good it works online!

I unfortunately won't be getting one until the price on everything goes WAY DOWN. That also unfortunately probably won't be for a couple years, but that's alright.

kainemaxwell
03-24-2005, 10:45 AM
I don't plan on getting one but I'm working tonight at FYE so I'm gonna findout how many total sales we get on it during cleanup tonight.

s1lence
03-24-2005, 10:46 AM
This is the first time since the release of the ps1 that I will not go get a system on its lauch day. I just cant see paying 250 for the psp. That and all my game time has been going to GT4 and Halo2. I'm curious as to how good the PSP is, as I'll probably pick one up in a few months.

GrandAmChandler
03-24-2005, 11:21 AM
what does it come with for memory wise? 32MB card?

Are there larger ones for purchase?

I was thinking about getting an Ipod but, if this thing can do MP3s.........

8-)

Cmosfm
03-24-2005, 11:39 AM
Picked up mine this morning, WELL worth 250.00, hell.....it's worth more than that really. But anyways, no time to chat, I'm off to PLAY!

Putney
03-24-2005, 12:02 PM
Just got mine this morning too...definitely worth the cost (even though I did a bunch of tradeins to cut the price down).

Only spent a few minutes with Ridge Racer and Wipeout, but I don't see where all the gripes were about the analog nub on it...sure, it's not as nice as a dual shock, but it's not hard to adapt to. Much easier than trying to play Ridge Racer DS with that damn wrist strap :)

It comes with a 32MB card, but I think you can buy up to a 1 gig card ($100+ as I remember). Depending on how much you listen to, it may or may not be a good iPod replacement. As someone who has more CDs than games, I could never replace my 30 gig iPod though.

Ridge Racer plays like a dream, it's sort of a 'best of' compilation with tracks from Ridge Racer, RR Revolution, Rage Racer, R4, and Rave Racer (my favorite, oh how I've missed those tracks!). Plus, for true old schoolness, you can play New Rally X on load.

Wipeout feels like a hybrid of XL and 3, which is a very good thing. The graphic design isn't as good as those two, but it far surpasses that dog Wipeout Fusion. Anyway, back to playing!

umich
03-24-2005, 12:14 PM
picked up wipeout, twisted metal, metal gear, and ridge racer

this is a very beautiful system, and all its accesories cept for the case are cool looking, very sanitary looking

the screen is awesome

buy one, its worth it, and it will own the ds, as much as i love nintendo

kainemaxwell
03-24-2005, 12:20 PM
So are the PSP launch titles pretty rehases of other PS2 titles?

Tachikoma
03-24-2005, 12:35 PM
The only rehashes I can think of are Darkstalkers and Tony Hawk Underground.

zmweasel
03-24-2005, 12:47 PM
So are the PSP launch titles pretty rehases of other PS2 titles?

Ape Escape: On the Loose looks and plays pretty much like a Dreamcast bleem! version of the original Ape Escape, which is cool with me, as I loved the original.

I'm exchanging my PSP for another one later today, as the one I picked up last night has five dead pixels and what appears to be dust (?!) on the inside of the screen.

-- Z.

Uzi 9mm
03-24-2005, 01:11 PM
I love my PSP, I was the first one at GameStop last night. Pretty soon a crowd started gathering, and me and a couple others just talked about games and such for about an hour.

Unfortunately, I have 3 dead pixels. Fortunately, GameStop just called telling me they have an extra PSP we can swap out later.

As for the games, WOW. Ridge Racer is absolutely stunning, I still don't believe it is a handheld. I haven't played much of Metal Gear Ac!d, but from what I have played so far, it is stunning as well, if not a little boring.

I also picked up a blue slipcover, since the PSP is very shiny. I really recommend buying one of these, the PSP is very prone to scratches and fingerprints.

Plus, for true old schoolness, you can play New Rally X on load.

Heh, I found playing this for at least 10 minutes.

My final though: Well worth the 250.

Beefy Hits
03-24-2005, 01:17 PM
Picked it up at midnight last night, and am very impressed with it.

2 dead pixels, barely noticeable only during black loading screens.

I hate how you have to use the remote control in order to use the headphones! On a side note though, the headphones are good quality, better than token iPod headphones.

I had to read the manual to figure out how to turn the thing off.

I don't see myself using the battery pack much as the instruction book says it lasts 3-5 hours playing games on one charge. The battery pack will eventually wear out and need to be replaced. Good thing you can plug it into the wall and play it that way. I play it mostly at home anyway.

Games:

Lumines: Seemed very difficult at first, but I'm getting better and better at it and love it! I play this game the most. For those of you who don't know, Lumines is done by the creator of Rez. It's a puzzle/music game where the music changes depending on how well you do.

Metal Gear Acid: Nice graphics, but only had time to play 20 minutes worth. It's like a metal gear game, only you play with cards. I have a feeling rumors of non-randomness will make this game less than what it could be.

Wipe Out Pure: Fun game. Kinda easy tho - I unlocked the first three sets of tracks on my first try and got 2nd in the tournament mode. DOesn't quite have the style and panache of XL. Graphics aren't what I expected. Would have been nice if they would have introduced the music track and artist before the race like in XL.

Too bad there really aren't many games coming out soon for the PSP, but at least the launch lineup is strong.

zmweasel
03-24-2005, 01:25 PM
I hate how you have to use the remote control in order to use the headphones! On a side note though, the headphones are good quality, better than token iPod headphones.

I plugged the included earbuds straight into the PSP and adjusted the volume with the buttons on the hardware. No remote required. Hell, I didn't have time to tear open the remote bag before I noticed the dead pixels.

-- Z.

buttasuperb
03-24-2005, 01:35 PM
Got mine at Best Buy this morning at 8am. There were around 30 people ahead of me, and by the time I left there were maybe 10-15 more people behind me. I got Twisted Metal and Darkstalkers since you got a $10 gift card if you bought 2 games. Also got the screen protector thing. Went with the 2 year replacement plan for an extra $40 since it's possible a variety of things can go wrong with a device like this. And I can return it for a new one before the 2 years is up even if not much is wrong with it. And if it's cheaper than $250 at that time (which it will be) they give you the difference (in cash or store credit, i'm not sure which)

Haven't got to play it yet since the boss is here today... @_@

Dangerboy
03-24-2005, 02:12 PM
I need to hold off on mine, since I am currently strapped for cash (as well as need money for a date), but I ddi get the chance to hold one.

My god that thing is SHINY. Looks like a mini-convertable with a new wax finish.

The dead pixel issue seems pretty large, I'll keep tabs to see if I can figure out a ratio on the systems.

I wanna play Ridge Racers! :bawling:

link1110
03-24-2005, 02:19 PM
I couldn't wait yo get a game for it, so I picked up Ape Escape. In other news, I have a copy of Ape Escape PSP for sale. LOL

Eternal Tune
03-24-2005, 02:23 PM
I picked up mine at Gamecrazy this morning at 10. They claimed to have only received 20 systems, all for pre-orders only. I was third in line of about 6 or 7 people (all mini-van moms, except one boy my age). There was only one guy working, and he was very confused as to how to operate the computer. A half hour later, I finally got to purchase my system. I bought Lumines and Need for Speed, along with a carrying case and USB cord. Got home and was relieved when (knock on wood) my system was just fine.

The only problem I've had so far is figuring out how to format the memory card so I could put images on my PSP.

I can't wait for Oobgarm to come get me, so we can go pick his up and then proceed with a night of sweet love making with PSPs. Eepo!

LiquidPolicenaut
03-24-2005, 02:27 PM
Well, I got mine this morning at 8. I was first there, but by opening there were only 5 people in total. Anyways, I too think it is a sexy machine. Mine unfortunately has 2 dead pixels, but they are in the lower left and, as stated before, so unnoticeable, didnt notice it 99% of the time actually. Spiderman 2, as well as everything on the demo disc, looks very sharp and sounded good too. I had bought Ridge Racer and Lumines yesterday and finally got to play it today. Lumines is hard at first, but it does grow on you and im getting addicted to it. Sadly, I still have only unlocked one new skin :( Ridge Racer is exactly what I wanted.. a pure Ridge Racer from the old days, plus some nitro. Music is very nice, although I wish there were more tracks from RR and RRR (Good Remix = Drive U 2 Dancing, Bad Remix = Rare Heroes). It brought a tear to my eye to see the 2 tracks from the originals in there, but now with PSP graphics *sniff sniff* So far, Im pleased with it!

P.S. - I also hooked up the PSP to my stereo and Ridge Racer and Lumines sound even more splendid on a home system :)

s1lence
03-24-2005, 02:28 PM
Well I posted earlier today that i wasnt going to get one, but my wife picked one up today as a surprise for me. So I guess I'll post what I think of it.

NE146
03-24-2005, 02:32 PM
I WILL get one.. But I'm balking on a quick buy due to the price.

I'm sure once a game comes out that I can't resist I will have one in my pocket.. usually this process takes anywhere from a month to one and a half years. :)

norkusa
03-24-2005, 02:32 PM
This sucks. The first PSP I got had several bad pixels on it. I returned it for another one and now the new one is even worse than the first one I had before. Now there is a cluster of 6 or 7 bad pixels in one corner of the screen. Almost looks like a big glob of dust is trapped under the screen but after looking at it closely, it's obviously a problem with the pixels. It's not that noticeable while playing a game, but it sticks out like a sore thumb when I'm watching videos.

I called the store I got it from and they said they are now all out of PSP's. They said I could either get my money back or wait for the next shipment to come in to get an exchange. Not sure what I want to do now. x_x

zmweasel
03-24-2005, 02:36 PM
Has anyone messed around with DVD/video-clip conversion utilities yet? The latest issue of OPM mentioned iPSP (www.kaisakura.com) for Mac users, and I just found www.pspvideo9.com for PC users.

On a barely-related note, my non-gaming sig-other was blown away by the quality of the Spider-Man 2 UMD, and said she'd gladly buy movies in the UMD format.

-- Z.

NoahsMyBro
03-24-2005, 02:36 PM
I just walked around NYC for the last 45 minutes (10 short blocks, and 5 long blocks - I earned my McD's value meal today!) , and saw all sorts of PSP-ness around.

Verizon's got PSP's covering the back of payphone-banks.

The Virgin Megastore has photocopied sheets on every door saying they do have PSPs in stock, but there is a 1-to-a-customer limit, and you MUST buy 2 games with the system in order to buy one.

While out and about, I saw 4 or 5 people walking carrying just-purchased PSP units.

I stopped a Gamestop to look for Gamecube stuff. The store was pretty crowded. A clerk told me they had sold about 300 units total (presales). THere was a long line of folks buying their preslae units, and the store was nearly out of games. As an aside, I tried to buy a copy of NFL2k3 (used) for the gamecube. WHen the sales clerk came out of the backroom with the game, he explained that they had no original cases for the game - he had a few copies in the back to sell ,and he couldn't give me the case I'd picked up from the display as it was his only one. SO he offered me an empty DVD case to use. I declined. I haven't ever tried to sell old games - do Gamestops/EBs/etc... typically buy games without a case?

Also, I'm curious to see what the physical media looks like. Anybody here have pics yet?

link1110
03-24-2005, 02:52 PM
I just tried converting one of my home movies to PSP. It got to like 5% and it was 5MB thus far. That movie was NOT fitting on the 32MB memcard that came with it. I'll mess around with thius more when I get a bigger memory card.

Gamereviewgod
03-24-2005, 02:54 PM
Ok, quick thoughts.

Too easy to get fingerprints and smudges EVERYWHERE. Easy to clean off though.

I find Ridge Racer in all its glory is easier to control with the d-pad. Could be just me. That's nothing against the nub, it's just that RR feels more natural with the pad.

Graphically amazing. Some slightly blurry textures during replays; way too hard to see during gameplay.

The screen is the greatest thing to ever happen to video games. Ok, maybe not, but I have to make a point somehow.

Video quality on Spiderman is better than a DVD, damn close to HDTV quality... really.

No demos on the extra disc? Boo.

I'm worried about dust getting under the hole in the back of the UMD caddy.

I could care less about the downloading qualities and that, but it seems easy.

I'm split on Wipeout. That, or I'm in love with RR. Not sure yet.

No dead pixels because I rock, or I'm just damn lucky.

buttasuperb
03-24-2005, 03:12 PM
Man I really hope I don't get any dead pixels. Just because I don't wanna deal with the hassle of getting another one.

RetroYoungen
03-24-2005, 03:22 PM
Did anyone pick up Archer Maclean's Mercury? It looked pretty interesting and pretty fun, maybe one of the reasons why I would buy this system. Though, hearing about all of the dead pixel problems, maybe I should hold out, maybe just buy the games, just in case they're discontinued...

norkusa
03-24-2005, 04:07 PM
I just returned my 2nd PSP. They said that I couldn't get any more replacements or store credit because all the other retail stores like Best Buy and Circuit City are basically saying "tough luck" to anyone with pixel problems. They did let me exchange it for another "defective" PSP that someone else returned earlier that day that had one sole dead pixel (so far, they've had 5 returns of 17 PSP's sold). It really isn't even that bad and you can barely see it, so I'm happy with it. Actually looks more like a speck of dust than a dead pixel. Those other two I had though were terrible.

Now I can finally relax and enjoy this thing!

buttasuperb
03-24-2005, 04:30 PM
Best Buy and Circuit City are basically saying "tough luck" to anyone with pixel problems.

If I wind up with a bunch of dead pixels and they tell me that, all hell will break loose considering I paid the extra $40 for the replacement plan. I'll take a shit on their floor. O_O

samuraiX
03-24-2005, 04:34 PM
Best Buy and Circuit City are basically saying "tough luck" to anyone with pixel problems.

If I wind up with a bunch of dead pixels and they tell me that, all hell will break loose considering I paid the extra $40 for the replacement plan. I'll take a shit on their floor. O_O

like that would be abnormal for you? you shit everywhere you go...

http://www.zargabox.uklinux.net/downloads/doodie.gif

youruglyclone
03-24-2005, 04:36 PM
picked up two

ridge racer
mgs
ape escape

tempted to do the trade in thing at eb for a generic sports game....

still so far so good

Richter
03-24-2005, 04:47 PM
what's the capacity of them UMDs?

Raedon
03-24-2005, 04:58 PM
Hey Darren, I heard you got one. Impressions?

I'll be down for that test drive thing so I'll look at it then.. No one I know has one yet..

As for dead pixels.. LCD tech. is used stock by the time it gets to the US.. We get Japan's old tech. repackaged.

samuraiX
03-24-2005, 04:59 PM

Pretty sure it's 1.8GB or something close to that.

Raedon
03-24-2005, 05:02 PM

Pretty sure it's 1.8GB or something close to that.

wow! That is amazing portable space! even 1 gig bests the DS like the N64 and PS1

buttasuperb
03-24-2005, 05:16 PM

like that would be abnormal for you? you shit everywhere you go...

http://www.zargabox.uklinux.net/downloads/doodie.gif

LOL :nate:

spider-man
03-24-2005, 05:36 PM
Glad to see other gamers enjoying the psp :) I picked up mine a couple months ago, but am excited to see how it does in the states. Btw, has anyone heard if tokyo highway battle psp is coming to the states?

davec
03-24-2005, 05:42 PM
Congrats to all the lucky devils who landed one,
I'd dearly like to get one, but I'd have to live on instant noodles for a month or so. :-P

vincewy
03-24-2005, 05:52 PM
Man, I don't know why people are putting up with Sony for such high rate of dead pixels, I know it's cool product, but one out of 10 having dead pixels is not acceptable.

Other than major cities like NY, I don't think it's selling out like what some sites have claimed, couple stores in my area haven't even sold a single unit (no joke), worsened by the fact that most places are bundling this thing up like crazy with game prices upward of $40, anyone with common sense would think twice about it.

98PaceCar
03-24-2005, 05:56 PM
Hey Darren, I heard you got one. Impressions?

I'll be down for that test drive thing so I'll look at it then.. No one I know has one yet..

As for dead pixels.. LCD tech. is used stock by the time it gets to the US.. We get Japan's old tech. repackaged.

Haven't gotten mine yet. I went through that local store I took you to for mine. Won't get it today, but at least I know I'm helping them stay in business.

Come down next weekend and you can play it all you want! I've already got Twisted Metal and will be picking up at least Untold Legends and Lumines.

link1110
03-24-2005, 06:17 PM
Other than major cities like NY,

Well, ncsx.com says its readily available around there, and theyre right by NYC (Flushing, Queens) and here on Long Island I was on the Best Buy line at 7:00 AM and there were maybe 25 people on the line with the store having gotten in 210 PSPs, so I don't think it's even selling out here like those sites had hoped.

wheelsx45
03-24-2005, 06:55 PM
Can you play online if you connect to a hotspot thats connecting to the internet, or just connect to a psp thats within 100ft ?

vincewy
03-24-2005, 06:58 PM
Other than major cities like NY,

Well, ncsx.com says its readily available around there, and theyre right by NYC (Flushing, Queens) and here on Long Island I was on the Best Buy line at 7:00 AM and there were maybe 25 people on the line with the store having gotten in 210 PSPs, so I don't think it's even selling out here like those sites had hoped.

My main gripe with Sony is actually quality of hardware, not price, if they launch the system with very low rates of dead pixels and good/no-hassle exchange policies for retailers and customers, I'd be glad to pay $250 for the newest gadget. It looks like the same problem with Japanese launch.

On a side note, to my amusement, some suckers/geeks actually think they can buy up all the PSPs they can find on launch day and resell them on eBay for huge profits

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62054&item=8179841661

The break even point is $300 (price after tax + bloody eBay and Paypal fees), anything lower than that you're losing money, not to mention time and energy, and this guy is even trying to offer lower bidders 2nd chance offers.

link1110
03-24-2005, 07:19 PM
Haha, I like how there's a copy of the yet-unreleased Gran Turismo game (And the Spiderman 2 game, too, which isn't included) in that picture in the auction. Could be a bit misleading. :)

Jasoco
03-24-2005, 08:32 PM
I WILL get one.. But I'm balking on a quick buy due to the price.

I'm sure once a game comes out that I can't resist I will have one in my pocket.. usually this process takes anywhere from a month to one and a half years. :)Ditto what Anyone for sex said.

I've already looked at the release forecast and it's all stuff I won't like. So far there's a total of three games I want for it.

Lumines looks kick ass. I watched a 25, TWENTY-FIVE minute video of it the other night. It was AWESOME. Though there was a long pause between songs. Unexplained. Weird. The PSP should be able to handle changing songs, so it seems weird they actually programmed that in? Loading time? Weird. Almost a turn-off.

Mercury I haven't seen in action, hell, I have only seen some shots, but for some reason I really want it. Don't know why.

Namco Museum. Yeah. Looks awesome. And is my third choice.

Other than that, I can't see anything I'd want to play myself.

The gamer in me wants to wait until good stuff comes out and it comes down in price. But the collector in me wants to get a launch model so I don't miss out on the free Spider-Man 2 DVD.. er UMD.

DeputyMoniker
03-24-2005, 09:08 PM
When I paid for my PSP, I plugged her in while I was still at the counter. I found a bubble in the screen so I swapped it for another one. I found a bubble in that one too so I swapped it for another one. That one was perfect but when I got it home, I found a dead pixel right in the center of the screen. Other than the dead pixel, its freaking awesome! It really makes makes my DS look like something out of a Barbie tea set.

Jasoco
03-24-2005, 09:11 PM
I hope they fix all the problems for the next round. I'm actually starting to not want that first generation with Spider-Man 2. Not if there's a high chance of dead pixels or bubbles.

Uzi 9mm
03-24-2005, 09:18 PM
My GameStop must have had really bad shipping problems, because both PSP's have assorted scratches on the screen, although barely visible.

Anyone else have this problem?

By the way, to answer DeputyMonkier's Question....

2. How large a file is a full length MPEG4 movie? Ive seen people talking about saving "movie clips" on their card but isl it able to handle a full length movie?

Well, it really depends on the clip quality, length, and capacity of the Memory Card. If you increase the quality to High, then the video clip will play well, but it will also have a bigger file size, so it really depends.

Jasoco
03-24-2005, 09:31 PM
I'm hoping someone down the line creates drag and drop emulators for NES and SNES (And even a DOOM engine.) that I (A Mac user) can just drop onto the memory card and run on the PSP. To me, that'd be heaven. It's only a matter of time.

norkusa
03-24-2005, 09:46 PM
I'm hoping someone down the line creates drag and drop emulators for NES and SNES (And even a DOOM engine.) that I (A Mac user) can just drop onto the memory card and run on the PSP. To me, that'd be heaven. It's only a matter of time.

Yeah, I'm a Mac user too and would love to have an emulator like that for my PSP. I hear that there is a drag-and-drop NES one for the Gameboy Movie Player that can be loaded up easily from a Mac but I'd like one for my PSP instead.

At least we have a program for OS X that's an all-in-one tool for video conversion (iPSP).

badinsults
03-24-2005, 10:28 PM
The PSP looks very nice, but for the price I could pay my rent for a month.

Uzi 9mm
03-24-2005, 10:52 PM
Should I return my PSP? The dead pixel is very annoying, but the problem is GameStop probably won't get another shipment in for a while.

goatdan
03-24-2005, 11:07 PM
Should I return my PSP? The dead pixel is very annoying, but the problem is GameStop probably won't get another shipment in for a while.

From what I heard, not too many stores that got big shipments sold out of them today, so I'd expect availability soon. Personally, if there is a dead pixel, I'd return it in a heartbeat. Those drive me nuts!

I played one for a bit today at EB when I picked up SpikeOut for the Xbox. The system is pretty, the weight feels just about right and I love the analog nub. That thing is seriously awesome. While I was impressed overall, I didn't think the screen was quite as beautiful as it has been made out to be.

The analog control however... Honestly, that impresses me a ton. And the way the unit looks is pretty slick. It looks cool.

norkusa
03-24-2005, 11:09 PM

If it bothers you, yeah, return it. I'd rather wait a few weeks for a new shipment to come in than be stuck with a PSP with a bad screen.

kainemaxwell
03-24-2005, 11:10 PM
My FYE sold 4 of the 10 units we had today. No returns. I'm assuming the button layout "problem" and the disc-ejection issue, if that wasn't fixed, will be fixe din the 2nd gen PSPs?

Half Japanese
03-24-2005, 11:50 PM
At my Circuit City we had 61. We ended the day with more than 50 still, so there was definitely some disappointment. The management told us initially that we (employees) wouldn't be able to purchase a PSP for a few months due to the apparent demand for them. By 5 pm (when I came in) an email was sent that any employee that wanted one could buy one. I think the problem stemmed from the unnecessary and unavoidable inclusion of Twisted Metal in the bundle (given a choice of games, I'm sure we would have sold a lot more of them). Either way, from my personal standpoint, it was kind of a disappointing launch, but still better than that which the DS received. I must admit I'm intrigued by the PSP and hope to get one at some point.

Crush Crawfish
03-24-2005, 11:59 PM
Before today, I had almost no interest in the PSP, but all the stuff I read about it recently has me dying to get one! Though I think I'll wait it out until June-ish, when I'll have more time to play it and more money to put into it. It'll also give the game lineup sometime to beef up, and hopefully some RPG's will come out. I'd also love to have an emulator on this thing...If it can play Chrono Trigger perfectly, then I'll gladly plunk down the cash, no questions asked! :D

Ikari Warrior
03-25-2005, 12:25 AM
I picked it up tonight, I wasn't expectin to but I caved quickly. My friend said he definitely wasn't buying one at all, and he got one too. It is just so irresistable. I picked up Ridge Racer, Untold Legends, Wipeout Pure, and Darkstalkers. All three are great, with RR being my favorite. The thing is amazing, and my first few minutes playing it truly felt like one of the biggest moments in gaming history, like a new age of gaming had just begun.
I thought it would be cool, but it's actually revolutionary.

Putney
03-25-2005, 12:40 AM
I think a lot of the slow sales might just be due to the fact that so many places are requring bundle purchases...I know at FYE where I got mine I only needed to buy one game, but a lot of other places aren't as lenient.

I guess it should also be considered that there's supposedly some 1 million systems out there right now...at $250 each on a weekday, pretty much all the hardcore gamers got theirs with a lot left for the more casual buyers to eventually pick up. I know two Targets I went to today had entire display cases full.

Jasoco
03-25-2005, 12:42 AM
Oh no.. People are caving. I'm afraid I might too. :(

Noooooooooo!!!!!!!

Kaaaahhhhhhnnnnnn!!!!!!

Dobie
03-25-2005, 12:42 AM
I want one of these, and they seem to be readily available around here, but I REALLY need to know what the battery life is before I plunk down the $250. Nobody has said anything concrete about that yet. I know the estimates, and what Sony has said, but I want to see what people are actually getting in terms of performance. Lumines is calling me.

Jasoco
03-25-2005, 12:45 AM
Lumines is calling me too.

I hear 1 hour with Wireless. 8 hours with games. I don't know. Times are all over the place. Either way, battery life seems to be disappointing me.

I like my SP and DS. I haven't plugged my DS in in weeks and have been playing on and off and it's still going. I just can't see that happening with the PSP. Someone prove me wrong.

Also, I'm not a fan of their little workaround, i.e. releasing a battery pack to plug in you wear on your arm.

zmweasel
03-25-2005, 12:48 AM
My FYE sold 4 of the 10 units we had today. No returns. I'm assuming the button layout "problem" and the disc-ejection issue, if that wasn't fixed, will be fixe din the 2nd gen PSPs?

The disc-ejection non-issue only occurs when a retarded PSP owner twists the damn thing like a pretzel. Quoting the PSP manual:

"Do not forcibly twist the PSP system or expose the system to strong physical shock during gameplay, as doing so can damage the system or cause the disc cover to open, ejecting the disc."

In other words, don't be a dumb-ass, and the PSP will be fine.

As for the SQUARE-button blown-out-of-proportion issue, my SQUARE button is working fine, and the issue only affected a small percentage of Japanese PSP units.

The only legitimate reason to wait for a second-gen PSP is if you're fretting over the current hardware's battery life, but it's fine for everything short of cross-country road trips and cross-continental flights, and you can (and should) buy an external battery pack if you're putting in that much travel time.

-- Z.

zmweasel
03-25-2005, 12:52 AM
I played one for a bit today at EB when I picked up SpikeOut for the Xbox. The system is pretty, the weight feels just about right and I love the analog nub. That thing is seriously awesome. While I was impressed overall, I didn't think the screen was quite as beautiful as it has been made out to be.

Damn, Dan, you're hard to impress. :) You honestly don't think the PSP's screen is miles above and beyond any previous handheld game system? Or are you comparing the PSP screen to PC monitors?

I'd love to hear what the forum's resident videowhore, Anthony1, thinks of the PSP screen. Have you seen/bought a PSP, A1?

-- Z.

mieu_c
03-25-2005, 01:12 AM
I don't understand how you all are still satisified with dead pixles!! @_@ Thats crazy. If I'm going to spend 250. I want it to be perfect.

I'm waiting ... for awhiel... until they figure out there little problem, and lower the price.

Uzi 9mm
03-25-2005, 01:14 AM
I don't understand how you all are still satisified with dead pixles!! @_@ Thats crazy. If I'm going to spend 250. I want it to be perfect.

I'm waiting ... for awhiel... until they figure out there little problem, and lower the price.

I am not satisfied, but I will accept it.

How far are you guys with Ridge Racer so far? I am almost done with the second tour...

Anthony1
03-25-2005, 01:20 AM
I'd love to hear what the forum's resident videowhore, Anthony1, thinks of the PSP screen. Have you seen/bought a PSP, A1?

-- Z.

Yeah baby, I'm a videowhore and a graphicswhore to the max.

Well, unfortunately, I don't have $355.54 burning a hole in my pocket right now for a portable gaming system. But, having said that, I did get to see one in action today, and I did get to see the screen.

My initial impresssion?

Off the hezie, fo shezie!

In other words, "Man, that is so F'ing beautiful".

Honestly though, I really only got to get a good view of the screen for about 10 freaking seconds. Probably not even that. This dude was playing some NBA game on it. The system itself looks absolutely sweet, the media looks sweet, everything about it looks sweet. It also appears that there is actually quite a few really good games avail. for the thing on launch, unlike some other portables that shall go nameless.

Man, this Sucks. I hate to see Sony get even more money and more market share in this industry. But you must give credit where credit is due I guess. As for the dead pixels and the bubbles and dust and all of this stuff, and the fingerprints and smudges and scratched screens and stuff. Man that is my big hangup with this system. That, and the fact that I've never really been into portable systems. Typically the only time that I really have to play games is when I'm at home, and when I'm at home, I might as well be playing some TG-16 in R.G.B. or something like that. Or maybe XBOX Next on my 113 inch HDTV screen.

No question about it, the PSP is in my future, but that could be a more distant future than I would like it to be.

Anybody care to guess when this thing will be $199.99 with a kick arse pack in? Spring 2006? Man I would hate to wait a whole year.

vincewy
03-25-2005, 01:24 AM

Agreed, there's no excuse for such high rate of dead pixels, if you buy laptops, you want the screens to be flawless, the dead pixel rates for those seem to be a lot lower than Sony's, and those have over 1 million pixels, compared to just a few hundred thousands for PSP.

On top of dead pixels, there're other issues like buddles and/or dusts under the screen, dented screen corners on the edge. I saw the unit and I really want one now, but it's $250, it has to be perfect, just ask Neo-Geo gamers who spend $300 on a game, everything has to be perfect from outside to inside.

buttasuperb
03-25-2005, 01:31 AM
Mine had one burnt pixel.

The burnt pixable is noticable against any darker background if you look for it. During gameplay you don't notice it unless you stop and look for that shit. But it is there, and kinda annoying. I dunno if I'll exchange it quite yet, it's not that bad really and I can get a new one anytime. Plus with my luck the new one will have 2 burnt pixels.

Darkstalkers looks and sounds great, but control sucks. Maybe it'll get better if I can get used to it, doubt it though. Tried playing online, no one was there.

Twisted Metal is pretty damn cool. Combination of TM2 and TMB. Tried playing that online, but couldn't get it to connect to any rooms. Maybe that's because I was dling porn. LOL

On second thought, if Best Buy still has any left, maybe I should exchange it for another one. I wonder if they'll let me plug it in right there to test it? I have a feeling that one burnt pixel is gonna bother the hell outta me.

Oobgarm
03-25-2005, 01:49 AM
Nice story to go along with mine.

As I mentioned back at the start of this thread, I got mine at Gamerush, taking advantage of their 'trade in a game and get an extra $5' deal. I traded in a good number of titles, netting as much as $40 for a couple of titles. I hit up a few stores, getting the balance put on one of their rechargeable gift cards. I had a little over $88 on the card before my last trip up there to trade in. On that trade in, I got an extra $157, and the guy tried to apply it to my gift card. Something was screwy with the phone service, so after two failed attempts at adding the balance, we just left it on my account. In total, I had enough credit to get the PSP, Untold Legends, Lumines, and, completely unrelated, NARC for Xbox.

So I get to the store as quickly as possible after work, get my PSP and two games and have the kid ring me out. I knew I had some credit left over, so I got a game for my finacee too. When the guy scanned the $88 gift card, he told me that I had a balance of over $150 left on it. It wasn't the same person who'd helped me before...and this kid seemed kinda aloof anyway. So with my newly found $150 I also snagged a hard case for the PSP, Ridge Racer and TimeSplitters for Xbox, along with a DS game for my fiancee.

The first PSP I got had a couple bad pixels in it, and I was able to take it back in and get a new one. First glance didn't show any bad pixels, even after testing out three of games I couldn't see anything. Then, once I put in SPiderman 2, I saw them. Five little pixels near the bottom of the screen. Only noticable when the screen is black. I'm just gonna ride it out, I think. No need to return it since I noticed them after playing my games on it, which is what I'm gonna use it for anyway.

I'm very impressed with it, pixel problem or not. All 4 games I have are excellent, and Ridge Racer is stealing my attention. Looks a bit flimsy, but it's surprisingly solid. Worth the scratch if you have it available, IMO.

norkusa
03-25-2005, 02:20 AM
Darkstalkers looks and sounds great, but control sucks. Maybe it'll get better if I can get used to it, doubt it though. Tried playing online, no one was there.

Wah??? You can play Darkstalkers online? I thought Twisted Metal was the only PSP game out that you can play online with.

Has anyone here actually played against other people online with the PSP yet? I'm not talking about across the room wi-fi link up, but actual online network play. Is it easy to set up? Is there any lag? Is there a mic on the PSP for voice chat (i thought i remember hearing that there was one on there somewhere).

buttasuperb
03-25-2005, 02:27 AM
I dunno, there was some network mode and it logged me on to a server, but everything was blank and I couldn't do anything.

Dangerboy
03-25-2005, 02:52 AM
Sales at my store went well, with about an 82% pre-sell pick up ratio, which is unheard of on the first day, especially for something so expensive.

We had the majority of sales before my 2pm shift, and closing the store at 9pm, we had no phone calls or walk-ins concerning dead pixels/other issues.

I had a conversation with a friend who works at another, larger chain store, and mentioned they only had a few calls, so I'm guessing it's just a per-batch shipment issue, rather than a complete fluke.

I'd love to have one, but $250 is way too much for a portable. At least to me.

Besides, you know how many PSX variants that can get me? :)

Jasoco
03-25-2005, 03:00 AM
Anyone know the resolution of the screen on the PSP?

zmweasel
03-25-2005, 03:04 AM

Wah??? You can play Darkstalkers online? I thought Twisted Metal was the only PSP game out that you can play online with.

Has anyone here actually played against other people online with the PSP yet? I'm not talking about across the room wi-fi link up, but actual online network play. Is it easy to set up? Is there any lag? Is there a mic on the PSP for voice chat (i thought i remember hearing that there was one on there somewhere).

I haven't played online yet, but network setup was breathtakingly easy. The PSP automatically found my wireless LAN and set up all the configuration info in about a minute.

There's no mic built into the PSP, but I wouldn't be shocked to see a headset in the future.

On an unrelated note, I downloaded and registered the $20 Windows version of iPSP (www.kaisakura.com), which totally rocks. PSP Video 9 (www.pspvideo9.com) is free, but iPSP can make screen-filling 16:9 PSP videos out of widescreen-DVD rips, which Video 9 can't. It's also a hell of a lot more user-friendly, such as the way it automatically adjusts the video and audio compression settings to make the most of whatever size Memory Stick Duo is in the PSP. It can also handle just about any video format you throw at it. The only thing it can't do is DVD ripping, for which you need the freeware DVD Decrypter (www.dvddecrypter.com).

EDIT: I played a little more with PSP Video 9, and discovered it can also make 16:9 video clips. I also ran into my first VOB incompatiblity issue with iPSP, whereas PSP Video 9 hasn't failed me yet. Video 9 also has an excellent feature that allows you to boost the audio volume of whatever video clip you're PSP-izing.

-- Z.

zmweasel
03-25-2005, 03:05 AM

480 pixels wide x 272 pixels high, 16x9/1.78:1, 16+ million colors.

-- Z.

Jasoco
03-25-2005, 03:13 AM

480 pixels wide x 272 pixels high, 16x9/1.78:1, 16+ million colors.

-- Z.Wow.

So, if someone were to create an NES/SNES emulator, the games would fit perfectly on it?

I have this sinking feeling I'm going to break down tomorrow. I'm going to see a box sitting in the case and I'm going to break down. Poof. $300 gone.

Guess there's only one way to find out.

I just watched a video review of Lumines on GameSpot, and aside from learning that it's pronounced Loo-min-ess and not Loo-mines, it really made me want one more than ever.

Edit: Dammit. Now I just watched the video for Mercury... Looks like I won't be waiting for a price drop. @_@

zmweasel
03-25-2005, 03:25 AM
So, if someone were to create an NES/SNES emulator, the games would fit perfectly on it?

Yep! I can't *wait* for emulators to hit. I imagine that even PS1 (ISO image) and N64 emus are within the PSP's capabilities, but I would gladly settle and/or kill for Genesis/SNES/NES/TG-16 emus. The PSP can run game code from a MS Duo, so it's gotta be just a matter of time.

-- Z.

Jasoco
03-25-2005, 03:27 AM
There has to be some kind of irony in playing Mario 64 on the PSP.

The more emulators they make, the better. I'll settle for just an NES and SNES one! Mmm.. portable Mario RPG on a non-Nintendo system. It boggles the mind!

arrrggghhh
03-25-2005, 05:18 AM
I picked mine up this morning was and searched long and hard for any dead pixels. I didn't find any until about an hour ago playing in the dark. I have one little red one in the center. I purchased it from Game Crazy, with the warranty. I wouldn't want to take it back now because I don't know when I'd get another one. How familiar is anyone with the Game Crazy warranty? I really don't want to get rid of my Spiderman UMD when I decide to take it back. If I bring it back in a couple of months, do I need all of the packaging, or do they just need the system itself?

Iron Draggon
03-25-2005, 09:55 AM
So, who just got a brand new $300 portable system? Not me! :bawling:

rbudrick
03-25-2005, 10:48 AM
http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=56692

In reference to the locked PSP analog stick thread link above (supposedly not digital)

It's not quite digital in the sense that a directional signals are measures in degrees as opposed to just a "yes" or "no". Some old PC games like Wing Commander III measure the analog signal by degrees (if I remember correctly) with something like a positive or negative value between 0 and 255 for the x and y axes. It's that such degrees exist that make it analog.

So yeah, in that sense, analog sticks really aren't analog, as they are measure on a digital level by the machine. It gives the appearance of being analog to us. I suppose it's easier to advetise it as analog rather than, "Sort of analog, but not really because blah blah blah." LOL

And for the record, that thread really did not need to be locked, imo. There's plenty of other PSP threads that weren't locked...dunno why this one got singled out. Maybe Sothy can post about his PSP fund here (kidding, Sothy...obviously a seperate thread is fine by me. :) Sorry to make you an example, heh heh. That thread rocks!).

-Rob

digitalpress
03-25-2005, 10:55 AM
And for the record, that thread really did not need to be locked, imo. There's plenty of other PSP threads that weren't locked...dunno why this one got singled out.

The only PSP thread that was redirected here was about the Canadian Gretzky package (and Sothy's which is really OT). There will be LOTS of individual threads about PSP in the future but like the DS before it, I'm trying to keep things tidy. It's a classic gaming forum and I don't like to see it overrun with tons of (mostly) duplicate topics on a brand new system. Fear not, this is a temporary thing until the fascination drops to normal levels :)

buttasuperb
03-25-2005, 11:05 AM
I personally can't wait for a Neo Geo emu, and other arcade games (especially shooters)

ianoid
03-25-2005, 11:15 AM
I got one.

I can't see how anyone wouldn't be peeing themselves about the screen.

Sadly, the QA issues are awful. Dead pixels and sticky buttons. Nasty stuff. The unit is beautiful, although it has some flaws. It's much sexier than the DS. Fingerprints, I have a sticky O button, scratchability,dead pixels. I admit that I am an early adopter, and I'm not going to bitch about stuff that will be fixed in the next iteration and that don't really bother me. Maybe I'm lucky about the pixels. They are pretty small pixels.

I don't quite know why they did this bundle thing. Perhaps it will only be a couple of months until they unbundle it and sell it for $200. The accessories and memory card are definitely a $50 package individually, they way they price stuff. (PS2 memory cards are STILL $25.)

Playing the system, it's f$%@ing awesome. I am SO into it. I have Untold Legends, which is just great hack n' slash not much different from Champions of Norrath and Baldur's Gate.

I got NFS Underground Rivals, which I played very briefly. It looks really really nice, and plays well, but I have yet to determine how compelling the game play will be. I kinda wish I'd waited for Ridge Racers, but that's a short story I won't tell right now.

Tony Hawk UG 2 Remix looks good, but it's a very fast moving game graphically and there is some smudging, which I got used to. The controls are a little different than your PSX controller, and takes a little getting used to.

I hope to play some WAN games next time I see any gaming friends (unlike you kids and college students, I have few or none that I see regularly.)

I don't care. There is no dispute here. I use my DS to play GBA games. FINALLY, I have a next gen handheld console that I actually want to play in liew of console games.

And to one who is upset about prices, but bought a DS. It's $50 more and includes a complete accessory kit. I just don't comprehend the dispute. If you're a Nintendowhore, it's ok. Just stop complaining about the other corporation being so much worse. Big business is big business.

Cmosfm
03-25-2005, 11:30 AM
After spending pretty much the ENTIRE day with mine yesterday, I have to say this is one of the damn nicest things I've ever spent 250.00 on. Honestly....it's well worth 250.00 and MORE. Here's some of my observations....

Pro's

The Spider-Man 2 movie looks better than DVD.

The screen is dead sexy.

Analog control is much better than anticipated.

PSP case is pretty nice, as well as the headphones and wrist strap.

Battery life is good. Yes....good.

Clear L & R buttons. Nice touch!

Con's

You need a cleaning cloth with you constantly...FINGERPRINTS! O_O

I have a few dead pixels and dust under the screen, but it's manageable. Hell, it took me 8 hours of playing to even notice them, and it was on a black screen when I did.

Sound is kind of low on some games.

--------

Well worth the wait, Lumines is my favorite game. And no, it doesn't have any periods of silence in the music, but it does get low now and again....part of the game though.

Also, the "flying UMD's" was just a myth. Some guy set it up on his own, it's not true.

BUY A DAMN PSP TODAY!

NoahsMyBro
03-25-2005, 11:50 AM
BUY A DAMN PSP TODAY!

No problem, I'll get right on that. I'll be looking for your $300 check in the mail.
:P

EnemyZero
03-25-2005, 11:56 AM
Hmmm my psp is on its way in the mail with ape escape...i hope i have no problems with mine >.< quick question, i scrounged up sum money and bought Bleach off of lik-sang - i thougt i heard that not only can u play imports but you can play them in english? is this true? if it is im gonna get tails of eternia with my paycheck

kainemaxwell
03-25-2005, 12:06 PM
This sucks. The first PSP I got had several bad pixels on it. I returned it for another one and now the new one is even worse than the first one I had before. Now there is a cluster of 6 or 7 bad pixels in one corner of the screen. Almost looks like a big glob of dust is trapped under the screen but after looking at it closely, it's obviously a problem with the pixels. It's not that noticeable while playing a game, but it sticks out like a sore thumb when I'm watching videos.

I called the store I got it from and they said they are now all out of PSP's. They said I could either get my money back or wait for the next shipment to come in to get an exchange. Not sure what I want to do now. x_x
Get your money back and wait.

DeputyMoniker
03-25-2005, 12:07 PM

The disc-ejection non-issue only occurs when a retarded PSP owner twists the damn thing like a pretzel. Quoting the PSP manual:

"Do not forcibly twist the PSP system or expose the system to strong physical shock during gameplay, as doing so can damage the system or cause the disc cover to open, ejecting the disc."

In other words, don't be a dumb-ass, and the PSP will be fine.

As for the SQUARE-button blown-out-of-proportion issue, my SQUARE button is working fine, and the issue only affected a small percentage of Japanese PSP units.

The only legitimate reason to wait for a second-gen PSP is if you're fretting over the current hardware's battery life, but it's fine for everything short of cross-country road trips and cross-continental flights, and you can (and should) buy an external battery pack if you're putting in that much travel time.

-- Z.

Sony stated that the square button problem had been fixed and no untis shipped to the US would suffer the problem.
http://www.digitpress.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=54050&highlight=square+button

Does anybody know how large a memory card the PSP can handle? Ive seen the 1GB card but can it hendle more? Movies movies movies!

How is Untold Legends? Would you say its more like FFXI or Diablo?

vincewy
03-25-2005, 12:16 PM

Be glad you didn't waste $300 with some serious defects, I've heard some stores have dead pixel rate as high as 80%, I want this thing too, but until Sony fix the problem (which seems unlikely at this point), I'll not touch any of their systems.

Don't worry about crazy bundles, Best Buy must be stuck with a lot of PSP units and now they're dying to unload them, you can get it online for even less than in store

http://cheapassgamer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=55974

goatdan
03-25-2005, 12:46 PM
Damn, Dan, you're hard to impress. :) You honestly don't think the PSP's screen is miles above and beyond any previous handheld game system? Or are you comparing the PSP screen to PC monitors?

Heh, yeah... sorry :embarrassed:

I think it stems from my Pocket PC, of all things. I have a Dell Axim, and while the display of the PSP is obviously polygonal while my Pocket PC is not, the Pocket PC screen looks just as crisp to me as the PSP.

I think I was hyped up a little too much for it. I was expecting it to be near the quality of my home Sony LCD monitor ($600.00) and when it wasn't quite _that_ great, I was a little disappointed :( It is pretty slick though...

On an aside, I read in the paper today that Sony had one million units on store shelves yesterday and they expected to completely sell out yesterday. From all accounts that I heard, they sold through about 10-25% of their stock, which is still a pretty amazing launch.

Be glad you didn't waste $300 with some serious defects, I've heard some stores have dead pixel rate as high as 80%, I want this thing too, but until Sony fix the problem (which seems unlikely at this point), I'll not touch any of their systems.

I said this for the DS (and all the Sony lovers said I was trying to cover something up...) and I'll say it again for the PSP (and to all the Nintendo lovers who will say I'm trying to covers something up...) -- LCD screen technology is no where near perfect! If you get a screen with a resolution like the PSP has, you have 130560 pixels on it. Each one is it's own little unit. So if you get a unit with an astronomically high 13 dead pixels, then you have a failure rate of something like 0.0001%. That's pretty good.

That having been said, I HATE dead pixels with a passion. If I bought a unit that had any, I would return it -- while I doubt there is anything to back me up statistically on this, if I get a monitor with 10 dead pixels in it, I would assume that it was more likely to have more die. If I get one that is perfect, if 10 eventually die, I'm right at the same point. Even with just one or two, it seems to me like they are more likely to die if your monitor already has dead pixels. It probably has nothing to do with reality, but I would replace them if I were any of you that have even one or two -- even if you don't notice it during gameplay.

I took back my $600 Sony monitor (twice) for dead pixel problems...

norkusa
03-25-2005, 12:46 PM

Yeah, really. If I had to do it all over again, I'd wait for a new batch of PSP's to come out that'll hopefully have this problem fixed. Dead pixels on a handheld is totally unacceptable and I can't believe Sony is saying it's a common occurrence and should be expected. Hell, they even have that stated in the PSP manual! Sounds to me they know the screens are shitty but they are trying to cover their asses by telling people some B.S. excuses.

evilmess
03-25-2005, 01:06 PM
I picked mine up yesterday and it was flawless out of the box.

The battery only had about 30 or 40 minutes on it which was just enough to show the techno dudes at work what the PSP could do. I was surprised that it fully recharged in about 2 hours or less.

Everybody who has seen it has been impressed and my 13 year old son hates me! heheheee
Not really but he's such a gaming geek, he already owns a DS and a QD and now he wants a PSP.

My first and only game is Ridge Racer and it ROCKS!

I think I'll pick up Wipe Out Pure or Untold Legends tonight, I just can't decide which one. :-P

kainemaxwell
03-25-2005, 01:24 PM
Yeah, really. If I had to do it all over again, I'd wait for a new batch of PSP's to come out that'll hopefully have this problem fixed. Dead pixels on a handheld is totally unacceptable and I can't believe Sony is saying it's a common occurrence and should be expected. Hell, they even have that stated in the PSP manual! Sounds to me they know the screens are shitty but they are trying to cover their asses by telling people some B.S. excuses.
Totally. Just wait and save your cash for something that won't break out of the box.

TonK
03-25-2005, 01:42 PM

Wanna bet?

link1110
03-25-2005, 02:38 PM
Tales of Eternia just came in the mail. That game is great, and I think the intro looks somewhat better than on a TV, but it may just be because of the smaller screen.

I don't think it's going to own the DS, or even that the DS is going to own it. DS has more games coming out for it, but sales of PSP in Japan seem strong which indicates to me that the marketplace is going to have to support 2 portable systems, will Nintendo have to change their portable strategy bevcause of this? Probably, but I think both of the systems are going to hold their own.

Querjek
03-25-2005, 03:19 PM
I got my system today... I like most of them games that I got (Ape Escape, Metal Gear, Untold Legends, Lumines), I am iffy about one of them (Wipeout), and I don't like 1 (Twisted Metal) becuase it makes my hand cramp to use the d-pad constantly to drive. I kind of wish now that I had gotten Tony Hawk as it looks like it would be fun.

samuraiX
03-25-2005, 03:20 PM

Wanna bet?

YES! $1.25.... that's all I can afford...

Iron Draggon
03-25-2005, 04:47 PM

True, I would be totally peeved about dead pixels, even if it only cost $50! My Game Gear never had that problem, and neither did my Nomad, which I did pay something like $200 for. My Game Gear did have alot of dust and crap under the screen, but the screen was easily pried off and cleaned, then put back in place without even having to buy a new screen or use additional glue. So I would hope that the screens on the PSP are as easily replaced as those on the Game Gear and the Nomad. You can get replacement screens on ebay anytime for a reasonable price, and instantly have a new screen. So even if your screen gets scratched to heck, it's easily fixed by yourself. The PSP will need to be handled in the same way, or there will be alot of really crappy looking used PSP's on ebay soon. Not to mention alot of returns. I can't believe so many people are so complacent about so many dead pixels!

As for the DS, I may get one of those before I get a PSP. It's actually $100 less than the PSP. I don't know about the rest of the country, but they sell for $150 here in Houston, although that's probably a bare bones package. And since it plays GBA games, there may be no point in me getting a GBA, unless they lower the price of those to only $50, like I'm hoping they will soon. If they do that, I'm all over a GBA and will just wait on the new stuff.

However, everything that I just said will go completely out the window as soon as I hear that the DS or the PSP is getting a really good pinball game! Whichever one gets a decent pinball first will be the one that I get first. That's the only reason why I want a GBA anyway, for the pinballs it has.

So, please don't tell me that there's any DS or PSP pinballs coming out before this Christmas, because I really don't see myself being able to get either one before Christmas. I still have a very long wishlist of games for all the systems that I currently own to whittle down before I can seriously think about adding any new systems to my collection. I will definitely go with a new portable long before I ever go for a new console though. I have plenty of room for new portables, but really no room for any new consoles without storing an old one away, and I don't want to store any old ones away. I'd much rather just collect for a new portable or two, because I'd only buy a few games for portables, but a new console would own me and my wallet!

98PaceCar
03-25-2005, 04:56 PM
I picked up my system about 2 hours ago. I was pretty worried about dead pixels after reading all the threads about them, but I haven't noticed a single one. *knocks on wood*

Haven't had a whole lot of time to play with it, but initial reaction is this is by far the best portable I've seen. It has a lot of wow factor and is very sexy to look at and hold. I played a bit of Wipeout and was very impressed with the entire package.

The UMD movie format might actually work out for me. I travel a lot, so that would give me a way to kill some time if I don't feel like playing a game. Going the memory stick route will probably prove to be more cost effective, but I think the estimated prices on the movies will drop quick.

My only complaint is that I can't seem to find just the disk protectors. I don't want to buy yet another case and cleaning cloth to get them, but that's the only way I've seen them

Bottom line, this thing is incredible! I like all my portables, but I know this will be the one that gets used the most. The DS is cool and has some real potential with a stronger library, but the PSP already oozes sex and power and it's just 1 day after launch!

blissfulnoise
03-25-2005, 05:10 PM
My PSP chimed in with 2 dead pixels, but I'm going to live with it. Could be worse.

But yes, it is quite s e x x y

It was brilliant to include the Spiderman 2 UMD. It's going to sell that platform. After you see how good it looks you'll be a true believer.

Jasoco
03-25-2005, 05:14 PM
Damn. I have low will power.. So last night I made a deal. If my store was out of them, I would be in the clear...

Bad news is we weren't out of them... D'OH!

http://jasocohms.no-ip.com/~jasoco/pictures/mypsp.jpg

Yeah, yeah. I know. :embarrassed:

Lumines was calling.

I'm not going to make any bets about who's gonna win. I don't care who wins. At least we get some cool games out of it. Lumines kicks ass. Mercury will rock. Namco Museum will own me for a short while. There'll be more. I can't wait for all the emulators.

Looking back in retrospect. I can't believe I just spent $300 on a video game system.

Best part is no dead pixels at all. It's perfect.

Drexel923
03-25-2005, 05:20 PM
Damn. I have low will power.. So last night I made a deal. If my store was out of them, I would be in the clear...

Bad news is we weren't out of them... D'OH!

http://jasocohms.no-ip.com/~jasoco/pictures/mypsp.jpg

Yeah, yeah. I know. :embarrassed:

Lumines was calling.

I'm not going to make any bets about who's gonna win. I don't care who wins. At least we get some cool games out of it. Lumines kicks ass. Mercury will rock. Namco Museum will own me for a short while. There'll be more. I can't wait for all the emulators.

Looking back in retrospect. I can't believe I just spent $300 on a video game system.

Best part is no dead pixels at all. It's perfect.

Great...now I'm gonna be the next one to break. I'll probably have it in my hands tomorrow LOL

Jasoco
03-25-2005, 05:24 PM
Joooiinn ussss.. Joooiiiiinnnnn uuussssss.....

I still wish it came with a free copy of The Incredibles instead. I know. I know. Disney, not Sony.. Blah blah blah.. I want my portable Incredibles!

omnedon
03-25-2005, 06:22 PM
I'm out.

*slaps cash on the table a la Kramer*

buttasuperb
03-25-2005, 06:37 PM
Excanged mine for another today, this one seems to have no dead pixels. So far so good.

portnoyd
03-25-2005, 07:07 PM
Great...now I'm gonna be the next one to break. I'll probably have it in my hands tomorrow LOL

No, I was the next one to break. Well, it didn't help that Achika was right next to me and when I asked 'Talk me out of buying this', she just looked at me, laughed, and said 'Gimme'.

The thing is sexy. Dead sexy. I got mine at TRU, and the guy said he had 40 of them in the back. Wow, guess no one shops at TRU anymore unless it's a clearance sale (heh). I got Darkstalkers, Lumines, and Ape Escape, and got this cheesy intec accessories pack which I probably won't open for free.

The screen is a thing of beauty. I gave each game a spin, along with Spiderman 2. Not bad, not bad at all. Looks like I have no dead pixels, but then again, I didn't look much for them. The smartest thing they did was include that smudgy cloth... the finish on the system sucks fingerprints on it. The neverending stream of extra crap pouring out of the box was a nice tough... my extra $50 feels justified.

But the system is smooth. The games play like silk too. But I have to admit, if the PSP gets some more decent software, the DS is kinda screwed. But it was funny to watch Meston jump to the rescue when someone pointed out some of the negative stigma issues with the PSP. Hi Zach! See you at E3. Heh.

I would have liked to have waited on it, just because of money, but it seems worth it for now.

dave

Eric Dude
03-25-2005, 07:19 PM
Seriously, how the hell do you walk into a store and plop down $300 on something that has a good chance of being defective? What's going on, people? Did Sony drug your Pepsi or something?

Cmosfm
03-25-2005, 07:24 PM
Seriously, how the hell do you walk into a store and plop down $300 on something that has a good chance of being defective? What's going on, people? Did Sony drug your Pepsi or something?

wow, a couple dead pixels, boo hoo. I bought a 1500.00 laptop from Dell that has a couple dead pixels. I'm sorry but a few TEENY TINY dots on your screen that you can't even NOTICE without a black screen in near complete darkness is nothing to deter you from buying a system. And it doesn't make it defective, it makes it a normal LCD based product.

:roll: and double :roll:

buttasuperb
03-25-2005, 07:52 PM
Excanged mine for another today, this one seems to have no dead pixels. So far so good.

FUCK

Booted it up at home, noticed 3 or 4 burnt pixels much smaller than the one I had on the previous PSP. How the hell didn't I notice this when I tested it at Best Buy. Must be something with the lighting there. @_@

I understand the risk with LCD technology, but when I'm spending $250 on something with a screen that small, I want it perfect. Looks like I'm going back again tomorrow. I wish gas was cheaper...

Jasoco
03-25-2005, 07:56 PM
wow, a couple dead pixels, boo hoo. I bought a 1500.00 laptop from Dell that has a couple dead pixels. I'm sorry but a few TEENY TINY dots on your screen that you can't even NOTICE without a black screen in near complete darkness is nothing to deter you from buying a system. And it doesn't make it defective, it makes it a normal LCD based product.

:roll: and double :roll:Sing it, Barry. Sing it.

I went in fully knowing there was a chance of dead pixels. But I also knew that if I really wanted to, I could get my money back if I wanted to.

Fortunately for me, I didn't have to. Unfortunately for me, I didn't get to. LOL

petewhitley
03-25-2005, 07:59 PM
Sony responds accordingly to the pixel problem, for those who consider it a problem at least. Here. (http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/03/25/news_6121092.html)

djb1986
03-25-2005, 08:20 PM
No they drugged my Coke.

Jasoco
03-25-2005, 08:21 PM
And my Mt. Dew.

SoulBlazer
03-25-2005, 08:43 PM
Well, I ended up doing something today I was'nt quite sure I was going to do. :)

A friend came over and she wanted to go out shopping for a PSP. Her name is Mandy and I've known her for over 10 years now. Anyway, she was surprised when her husband dropped hints yesterday that he wanted one. But she did'nt know anything about it, just knew she had called a couple stores in her area (northern RI) and nothing. So she called me in the early afternoon to see if she could come down and if I could take her out. I said sure. :)

We know we were'nt going to have any luck at some stores, so we headed for Best Buy, where they indeed had some in stock. I really was interested in one but I knew at the price I could'nt afford to get one and all the stuff that came with it. Once I had one in my hands, though, I was hooked. The unit is so damn sexy! Nice large LCD screen, lightweight, backlit, and really impressive how it handles. The guy was showing us the sampler disc with the unit and talking about his own personal experiences with one since he bought one last night.

At that point my friend pulled me to one side and said she knew about all the crap that was going on for me right now and that since she had extra tax return money Mandy offered me a deal. She told me she would buy me a PSP along with the Best Buy 2 year warrenty -- $40 for that -- if I agreed to repay her in the course of the next year. Plus, since I wanted to do many more things with the PSP, a 512 MB stick for $70 for a VERY early Christmas gift.

So at that point I decided I could sell some more stuff on Amazon and pinch the belt by canceling some pre-orders I had planned and go ahead and get it. I picked up a Accesory Kit -- $30 that came with a carrying case, a cleaning cloth, a strap on, a screen protector, a car adapater, and another pair of headphones. Plus I got a USB cable and transfer disc for the PSP for $10 to transfer movies and music over.

Which just left me with two games I was interested in -- Metal Gear Acid (a card based version of the famous game series) and Untold Legends (a hack and slash game like Diablo) to buy myself.

Plus, the way I saw it, it's a investment. I don't have a music player yet and with a memory card that size I can download hundreds of songs on to it. PLus movies! I can transfer programs and anything else from my PC onto it as well. So the PSP can do three different things, and even more in the future. The only other thing I'll need to get is a battery pack -- none was sold seperatly -- as the one drawback of the PSP is that it only has about a 5-6 hour battery charge.

I've only had a little bit of time to check it out, but I'm really impressied. No dead pixels that I can see on my unit. Spider-Man 2 looks REALLY sharp -- even better then a DVD. The Sampler Disc looks good as well. I have'nt tried my two games or transfering anything over yet. My only complaint is the volume is kind of soft -- even with headphones and turned all the way up. But it's lightweight, quiet, and only needed about 90 minutes to fully charge the battery.

If anyone needs a extra headphone and strap, I'm not using the ones that came with the Sony PSP. ;)

Cmosfm
03-25-2005, 08:54 PM
That's excellent Soulblazer!

I'm glad to see that Mandy came and she gave without taking.

:D

Jasoco
03-25-2005, 09:09 PM
I have a question-a-rino about video-izing my PSP.

I am using iPSP and, aside from a lot of quirks, it seemed to work fine as long as the video I was converting was MPEG-4 already. But I converted a file that was widescreen, and it forced it into a 4:3 format.

Why couldn't it keep it the ratio it was? Any tips on video importing? It's too bad it's not as easy as music and pictures in that you just drag and drop them into a "VIDEO" folder.

Griking
03-25-2005, 09:11 PM

Yep! I can't *wait* for emulators to hit. I imagine that even PS1 (ISO image) and N64 emus are within the PSP's capabilities, but I would gladly settle and/or kill for Genesis/SNES/NES/TG-16 emus. The PSP can run game code from a MS Duo, so it's gotta be just a matter of time.

-- Z.

I wouldn't be in the least surprised if Nintendo made a very strong effort to shut down each and every website that they can find that hosts an emulator that can play Nintendo game on the PSP.

Griking
03-25-2005, 09:20 PM

:roll: and double :roll:

What concerns me is the amount of people in this thread who are reporting dead pixels. Dead pixels do happen from time to time w/ laptops and LCD monitors but not at a nearly 50% ratio. To me thats just unacceptable.

norkusa
03-25-2005, 09:39 PM
I am using iPSP and, aside from a lot of quirks, it seemed to work fine as long as the video I was converting was MPEG-4 already. But I converted a file that was widescreen, and it forced it into a 4:3 format.

Why couldn't it keep it the ratio it was? Any tips on video importing? It's too bad it's not as easy as music and pictures in that you just drag and drop them into a "VIDEO" folder.

Are you using the demo version or the full version of iPSP? I think the demo only allows you to import it at 4:3. With the full version, I think you can do it widescreen, I think.

evilmess
03-25-2005, 10:15 PM
Jasoco, give PSP Video 9 a try instread of iPSP.

http://www.pspvideo9.com/

Good luck, let us know if it works. I don't have a large enough memory stick but I've already run 3 full length Movies I ripped from my DVD's thru PSPV9 for when I get a 512 pro duo card.

(edit: I assume you are on a PC, yes?)

James
03-25-2005, 10:17 PM
This thread is disorganized. Why isn't there a seperate forum for the PSP Launch? A dozen or so good PSP posts have been unfortunately locked because of this and there isn't nearly as many replys to this thread as there would have been overall if there were several seperate PSP posts. Digital Press when the Xbox Next is released later this year I hope you give its release its own forum as there will be much more variety then. And the same for any other systems released in the near future.

SoulBlazer
03-25-2005, 10:54 PM
I'm experimenting with PSP Video 9 right now. I also have Max Media that I bought at Best Buy with the USB cable. PSP Video 9 seems to work fine in converting and moving movie files to my PSP. Now I'm glad I talked my friend into the 512 MB memory card. ;) Max Media, however, is what I'm using to copy my music files over.

I'm trying to convert one right now by boosting the volume to 200 percent. The first time I tried it was so soft I could hardly hear the video clip.

Anyone else have any suggestions to get the best prefomance out of PSP Video 9? I want to try to balance space on the memory card (it looks like it can only hold a few video clips, much less a complete DVD movie!) and preformance of the movie clip.

I'll try ripping a DVD movie over to my PSP later.

On the plus side, it was SO EASY for the PSP to find and connect to my wireless network! I just don't have a game I can play online.

portnoyd
03-25-2005, 11:25 PM
This thread is disorganized. Why isn't there a seperate forum for the PSP Launch? A dozen or so good PSP posts have been unfortunately locked because of this and there isn't nearly as many replys to this thread as there would have been overall if there were several seperate PSP posts. Digital Press when the Xbox Next is released later this year I hope you give its release its own forum as there will be much more variety then. And the same for any other systems released in the near future.

Been there, done that for the DS (And the PSP, for counterpoints for PSP discussion at DS launch).

There would be more posts, yes - duplicate ones. I would put money on at least 4 dead pixel threads. This one thread keeps things sane, and the +1ing to a minimum. You get first impressions of system and games, troubleshooting and problems, and technical advice all in one. 6 pages of replies versus 12 topics (half of which are duped and locked) over 3 pages of forum topics. It's cleaner this way and does not stunt discussion at all.

dave

portnoyd
03-25-2005, 11:26 PM
Oh, and I can't put down Lumines. God, my eyes are falling out of my skull and I'm still addicted.

dave

chrisbid
03-25-2005, 11:41 PM
ive played one, and the PSP is the phantom menace of handhelds. its all sizzle and no steak.

- luminese is the only truly original game worth picking up
- load times are awful
- battery life is terrible
- infamous shoddy sony hardware
- too expensive

the 00's (or whatever decade you want to call this) idea of convergence is a joke. we all know that UMD movies will be about as popular as original minidiscs and beta. the mp3 and movie playback features have some potential, but will cost you an additional 100 bucks for enough storage to do anything worthwhile. In this day of 30+GB ipods, a $350 PSP setup is hardly going to put a dent in Apple's sales.

this is a portable system, features like battery life and durability while not as sexy as screen size and color are essential. if you put your PSP in your pocket, and bump into a wall, you shouldnt have to worry about killing pixels, scratching the screen, or damaging the UMD slot. in 2005, a notebook computer can run for 8+ hours, there is no reason a handheld should have less.

people will disagree, but optical media was a poor choice this time around. the prime advantage of optical media over solid state has always been cost, but UMD's are just a proprietary as a cartridge, so costs will stay rather high even on budget titles. There wont be many games that utilize the extra space for gameplay. instead youll just see a lot of battery wasting FMVs and redbook audio.

i have always set my price limit of consoles at $200, there is no way ill pay more than that for a flawless handheld, the PSP is nowhere near that. The saving grace of the PSP will be the homebrew and emulation scene that is bound to develop. It could become a portable xbox, and the prospect of MAME on the go is very tempting. but that prospect is not yet reality, and its refreshing to see that sony's hype machine didnt drown reason this time around.

Querjek
03-25-2005, 11:53 PM
Oh yeah... I forgot to mention earlier, I have 3 dead pixels, but, unlike the ones in my DS, these are barely noticable, unless you're looking to find them.

Exactly how do I unlock more skins in Lumines? I Have 4 so far, from the single-player mode.

kainemaxwell
03-25-2005, 11:55 PM
Ok, sold 2 more PSPs today to make 6 out of our 10 units in stock at my store.

Phosphor Dot Fossils
03-26-2005, 01:07 AM
For what it's worth, we did have a forum du jour dedicated to both the PSP and the DS for several months. As that's not a permanent thing, the threads were moved in here to the video gaming area and the forum was reassigned. Also, while it was there, the PSP/DS forum was the home to an awful lot of fanboyish system-vs.-system crap, which was not the purpose anyone had in mind for that forum.

It'll do just fine out here, but this seemed like the best way to keep the entire first page of the VG forum from being flooded with PSP-related topics.

vincewy
03-26-2005, 01:59 AM
I went to other towns nearby and check a K-mart store, as of Fri, they've sold ONE! There's no doubt that Sony has the marketing power, hype, zombified fanboys, $$$, but in the end the sales speak for itself, Sony is stil fantasizing on "anything will sell" mentality.

Had all the units they put out yesterday function properly, they would've sold more units down the road over the next few weeks, but instead expect to see avalanche of returns at all retail chains over next few days, I've even asked my buddy (who owns 2 stores in MPLS) not to bother with PSP at this point as soon as I heard about the hardware problems. Wait a few months and see if Sony will piss off all retailers, I'm sure Best Buy, EB, and Gamestop which offers extended warranties will have to take in all those defective units as writeoffs.

In fact you can probably get it for even less on eBay than local stores, some auctions were going for even less than $250 with sellers charging $15 on shipping. OMG, there're like 3000+ units listed on eBay, one guy even bought 7 units and current bid prices aren't even close to retail

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62054&item=8180740153

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62054&item=8178415653

Even more outrageous are the blatant lies by sellers, presold out everywhere, out til Xmas. If you take those sellers out of equations, the sales would've been a lot worse, I expect to see a lot of returns over the next few days from either 1: defective units (mentioned above) 2: eBay resellers getting stuck with so many units. Don't people ever learn!

pacmanhat
03-26-2005, 03:08 AM
My g/f and I caved and got one today...along w/ Wipeout Pure, Untold Legends (which is really underrated) and Lumines (which is just plain amazing). I think my g/f got a glitch when playing Lumines the first time, though...she tried it without really knowing what was going on, and lost almost instantly, but still somehow managed to get over 10,000 points. @_@

Jasoco
03-26-2005, 04:41 AM
(edit: I assume you are on a PC, yes?)Hi, you must be new. Jasoco, Mac user. How ya doin'?

According to the manual, I should be able to just put the MPEG-4's on the card. But it doesn't go into any details or tell of any software or tools. I can convert the things myself. I just need to know where to put them! I like to avoid tools whenever possible.

I am peeved about one thing, though. The damn sample disc didn't have any game demos. Just videos. I'd like to at least try some of the other games to see how I like controlling them. Anyone think they might start putting out PSP Jampack's eventually? I hope so.

spoon
03-26-2005, 05:11 AM
I am gonna break next. I will have one by the end of the day. Played one today. We have come a long, long, long way since gameboy. Wow!

mosesshirai
03-26-2005, 06:47 AM
So after reading six pages of posts here is my PSP story:

I went launch night here in Hawaii and there were at least 75 people in line at the stpre. It was crazy. They were only letting a few people in at atime so I got mine around 1:10am. I went home plugged it in and went to sleep. Next day(Thursday, Launch Day) I watched part of Spiderman and played Metal Gear Acid. Both were very impressive. Later that night I start playing Metal Gear and notice the Dead Pixels. At least 5-10 of them all over my screen. Nuts. So I call the manager at the store(Friday) and he says come in and we will take care of you. So I go in get the next PSP, and what do you know TWO more Dead Pixels. I checked it over in the store and couldn't see them in the harsh lighting, but when I played in a semi-dark room tonight....BOOYAAA there they are. Double Nuts. This just ruins the experience for me. I have never done the whole launch day, wait in line thing before. I have never had the opportunity. This just kills it for me. I don't want to take my PSP back again and look like a fool, but $250 is just too high to have this type of problem. So Tomorrow(Saturday) I will be going back again for number three. I am just so torqued. Some of you may have seen my topic about considering selling my DS for a PSP. Now I am so glad I kept the DS. $200 bucks for a Bejeweled Clone(Zookeeper) and a system is well worth it. At least the DS is burly and scratch resistant(it folds shut). And a Pixel Problem with my DS? Nada. DRRRGGGGHHHH :angry: :angry:
Heres to you Sony, for making me really work to get a nice product out of you. I love driving to the store three times for the same thing. I love that your quality control is so high that you put a disclaimer in your manual. And I especially love that you made the PSP so I can have stress and not fun with my videogame system. Rant over. Vented. Thanks. :eek 2:

kainemaxwell
03-26-2005, 09:22 AM
Found some dead pixel articles at IGN:
http://psp.ign.com/articles/599/599236p1.html?fromint=1
http://psp.ign.com/articles/599/599185p1.html

And some sales reports:
http://psp.ign.com/articles/599/599156p1.html

jonjandran
03-26-2005, 10:37 AM
ive played one, and the PSP is the phantom menace of handhelds. its all sizzle and no steak.

- load times are awful
- too expensive

the 00's (or whatever decade you want to call this) idea of convergence is a joke. we all know that UMD movies will be about as popular as original minidiscs and beta. the mp3 and movie playback features have some potential, but will cost you an additional 100 bucks for enough storage to do anything worthwhile. In this day of 30+GB ipods, a $350 PSP setup is hardly going to put a dent in Apple's sales.

this is a portable system, features like battery life and durability while not as sexy as screen size and color are essential. if you put your PSP in your pocket, and bump into a wall, you shouldnt have to worry about killing pixels, scratching the screen, or damaging the UMD slot. in 2005, a notebook computer can run for 8+ hours, there is no reason a handheld should have less.

people will disagree, but optical media was a poor choice this time around. the prime advantage of optical media over solid state has always been cost, but UMD's are just a proprietary as a cartridge, so costs will stay rather high even on budget titles. There wont be many games that utilize the extra space for gameplay. instead youll just see a lot of battery wasting FMVs and redbook audio.

i have always set my price limit of consoles at $200, there is no way ill pay more than that for a flawless handheld, the PSP is nowhere near that. The saving grace of the PSP will be the homebrew and emulation scene that is bound to develop. It could become a portable xbox, and the prospect of MAME on the go is very tempting. but that prospect is not yet reality, and its refreshing to see that sony's hype machine didnt drown reason this time around.

So you don't even own one and yet you are an expert now. :hmm:

Ok thanks for your "OPINION". Next.......

omnedon
03-26-2005, 10:47 AM
FYI to one and all, early on, I will pay top dollar (up to $100CDN) for busted PSP's, condition depending. If it's been flattened by a car, expect less than the top. If it has a broken analog stick or something, but works otherwise, expect the top dollar offer.

Spread the word. OSG wants parts.

BTW, I am enjoying mine quite a bit, and I'm no SONY Fanboy. I still don't have a DS, but I had to snag a PSP.

I also foresee booming repair business on these, so now is the time to learn all about it.

vincewy
03-26-2005, 10:52 AM
And I especially love that you made the PSP so I can have stress and not fun with my videogame system. Rant over. Vented. Thanks. :eek 2:

I'd just return the system to get my money back, there's no point going through the hassles when you put down $300 with a game, for christ sake, we're consumers who feed the gaming companies. It seems like gaming communities aren't using common sense when it comes to buying games/systems. I enjoy gaming/collection as a hobby, but it's something I can live without, let alone portables which I hardly ever play.

FurinkanianFrood
03-26-2005, 11:02 AM
So you don't even own one and yet you are an expert now.

It doesn't take an expert to balk at the cost, or to see that games are uninteresting to one's own self. Or to cite genuine facts about battery life. The UMD to Beta comparison isn't all that strange. Convergence concepts were a casualty of the '90's I thought. At least the idea that they were viable in a broad sense as being discussed here.

PC's taking over other functions is viable, portable game machines doing the same seems rather not. But I don't set trends.

He doesn't like the thing, I don't like the thing.

Some people here like the thing, but It's too early to tell how many people will like the thing in the general public.

DP forums is not the general public, that's for sure.

It may be liked more or less. I don't understand consumers, no one does. I make educated guesses, but those aren't necessarily reliable.

Who freakin' knows?

chrisbid
03-26-2005, 11:06 AM

the beginning of the thread specifically said no flaming, i took care to keep my comments on the system and not fanboys and owners. this is a gaming discussion board, not a sony commercial. Pointing out obvious flaws in a system and explaining criteria to change my views adds to the discussion. if you dont agree with my "OPINION", fine, but i have the right to say what i said without your pompous remarks

to elaborate, i played a friend's import psp (darkstalkers and wipeout) last week extensively, and i got a brief chance to play lumines after the US launch. i like lumines, but im not going to sink 300 bucks just to play one game

goatdan
03-26-2005, 11:19 AM
The pixel thing isn't a big problem like I've said... the fact that according to those IGN articles, Sony is going to charge you to replace it is. Nintendo's policy was much better at that...

I'd suggest making sure to find a store that will take it back if there are any problems. While the manual says it is normal, a dead pixel means the pixel is constantly misfiring, which is a problem. And I have never, ever heard of dead pixels that rise from the grave after a week of use.

But seriously -- other than the return policy, dead pixels are natural. Otherwise, we should all be paying $1000 for this thing.

chrisbid
03-26-2005, 11:25 AM
i dont know any retailer that will refuse to take back defective hardware. im sure there are stores that will not give refunds, but to not offer a replacement or store credit would probably be illegal in most states.

SoulBlazer
03-26-2005, 11:27 AM
And according to the Gamespot articles, Sony WILL replace any PSP's that have dead pixels free of charge.

The fact of the matter is that dead pixels are going to happen now and then on LCD screens -- it's one reason I kept using a 'older' CRT monitor for my PC.

I played some Untold Legends last night after I got tired of copying over music, movies, and pics to my unit. Fun game. I have'nt even tried Metal Gear Acid yet. I just wish there were more games out I could buy. Lummines sounds fun but I suck at puzzle games, and everything else seems to be a rehash of something else allready released.

The 'analog' button works well but kind of hurts my thumb after a bit. But it's a small complaint for a system that I really enjoy. It's amazing how many of us who had'nt planned to buy one broke down and did, myself included. ;)

geelw
03-26-2005, 11:37 AM
i've had my psp since 3/17 along with 5 first party titles (wipeout, twisted metal, nba, world tour soccer, and nhl) and three more games showed up this week (lumines, thug 2, spider-man 2). so far, i'm pleased with the system and the selection of launch titles available (more stuff is on the way next week). i'd have to say i wish there were two analog sticks and the ability to use regular batteries with the thing- i've only taken it outside twice,and both times i was worrying about the battery running out (it didn't).

as for the movies, i don't think sony wants to have hundreds of umd flicks available. based on the demo disc and a few rumblings i've heard here and there, it seems we'll more than likely be mostly seeing "summer blockbusters" over actual "good" movies, but it would be nice to see a few classics on the format. that widescreen is practically screaming for 2001: a space odyssey and a few other films i can name off the top o' my pointy lil' head.

as for the ds, i don't have a clue as to why it's not doing better than it is. i was doing some research for an article recently and with one exception, every store i went to had plenty of unsold DS systems and games. oh well- each system has its strong point and weak ones, and i don't really consider this some sort of "system war" since both do things a bit differently. i will say that ridge racer on the psp smokes the ds version across the board, though...

g.

Tank
03-26-2005, 12:18 PM
Im not sure if I should post this here but it certainly has something to do with my PSP.

I have Itunes and as you know all of the music stored on there is in M4P, the PSP only accepts MP3 and some other kind. I know I can change how I want to import the music etc, but how can I "unprotect" my music I have bought through the Itunes music store?

NoahsMyBro
03-26-2005, 12:30 PM
Short answer - you can't.
Long answer - investigate Hymn - http://hymn-project.org/

wheelsx45
03-26-2005, 01:38 PM
Has anyone played Twisted Metal online yet with their PSP?

Jasoco
03-26-2005, 01:52 PM
A friend has, he says it kicks ass.

Glad I didn't have any dead pixels.

Anyway, I must have a second game. Which of these two would you recommend?
Twisted Metal
Ape Escape

norkusa
03-26-2005, 02:00 PM
I got a question about ripping movies. I have some movies on my Mac that'd I'd like to put onto my PSP (a .mov & .avi) These movies are 650mb & 1.2GB in size but I can only afford a 256mb memory stick right now. Will these movies shrink in size when I rip them, or do I have to buy memory stick that is at least the same size as the movie I want to rip?

Jasoco
03-26-2005, 02:02 PM
Convert 'em to MPEG4 forst off. That'll shrink 'em a lot.

portnoyd
03-26-2005, 02:29 PM
[quote="pacmanhat" I think my g/f got a glitch when playing Lumines the first time, though...she tried it without really knowing what was going on, and lost almost instantly, but still somehow managed to get over 10,000 points. @_@[/quote]

If you clear the entire board, you'll get 10k points right then and there. I'd imagine that's what happened as it's possible at the start moreso later on.

dave

Querjek
03-26-2005, 03:10 PM
Has anyone played Twisted Metal online yet with their PSP?
I tried it... I can get online and start a match, but, after a few minutes, I get booted. I don't know what's doing this either, but I have already tried standing directly against the router and connecting.

Tank
03-26-2005, 03:11 PM
About the protected Itunes music.

I just figured out how to, burn it to a cd- r and then import them.

Querjek
03-26-2005, 03:18 PM
A friend has, he says it kicks ass.

Glad I didn't have any dead pixels.

Anyway, I must have a second game. Which of these two would you recommend?
Twisted Metal
Ape Escape
Get Ape Escape.

Jive3D
03-26-2005, 04:33 PM
I'm sure that some of you know that I was the biggest DS supporter, now I'm a huge frustrated DS owner, came THIS CLOSE to buying a PSP with Wipeout Pure today, it was at FYE, and it was 299. I came very closer, especially b/c I have a plane ride back to NYC tomorrow...

I need some support here, should I get it? are you guys generally satisfied with your PSPs? & Wipeout? (which is getting rave reviews...) The Cash is burning a hole in my pocket...

Cmosfm
03-26-2005, 04:37 PM
I'm sure that some of you know that I was the biggest DS supporter, now I'm a huge frustrated DS owner, came THIS CLOSE to buying a PSP with Wipeout Pure today, it was at FYE, and it was 299. I came very closer, especially b/c I have a plane ride back to NYC tomorrow...

I need some support here, should I get it? are you guys generally satisfied with your PSPs? & Wipeout? (which is getting rave reviews...) The Cash is burning a hole in my pocket...

I'd say buy two PSP units, just because they rock THAT much. If you have the cash, get it, I cannot be more satisfied with mine. Ask anyone, I was backing up the DS left and right, Love the DS, it's great.......but the PSP blows it out of the water. I still love my DS, but not as much as the PSP.

I haven't spent anytime with wipeout yet, Lumines and THUG 2 have been taking up all my time. :)

Drexel923
03-26-2005, 04:46 PM

This question is seriously ridiculous. Why does the DS even have to be brought in to the conversation. You know it is possible to like both systems...one does not necessarily have to be better than the other. There's nothing wrong with owning and liking two different systems...if you like what you see with the PSP, then buy it...but I don't think the DS should even enter your mind when making a decision.

Jasoco
03-26-2005, 06:28 PM
Actually, I got Twisted Metal. It just looked like total fun from the video review on GameSpot. So did Ape, but this one had a better review.

I'll probably get Ape Escape later on. Maybe when I pick up Mercury.

I love that Sony's games are $40. Wish Nintendo did the same thing. (By which I meant charge less rather than keep the price high as long as possible.)

Haven't opened it yet. Give me good reason not to before the craving hits.

SoulBlazer
03-26-2005, 06:32 PM
Anyone know a site that has the PSP games coming out in the next four weeks?

From everyone I've talked to so far, the best original games for the PSP are Lummines, Metal Gear Acid, and Untold Legends.

Twisted Metal and Wipeout are the best online games, but the Tony Hawk game and and Ridge Racer are quite good also.

Deathstalkers, Spider Man 2, and Dynasty Warriors have been done before. If you enjoyed the games enough to REALLY just buy the same game, go ahead. ;)

The sports games look nice but don't play that well.

Again, that's from what I've been hearing from reliable sources.

I picked up more stuff for my PSP today -- a screen, a flip top case, some UMD holders, and a Power Pack. It can recharge or power a PSP for twice the normal charge of the PSP. Good idea for trips. :)

norkusa
03-26-2005, 06:51 PM
Twisted Metal and Wipeout are the best online games, but the Tony Hawk game and and Ridge Racer are quite good also.

WTF??? Wipeout, Ridge Racer and THUG 2 are also playable online? For weeks I kept hearing that Twisted Metal was going to be the only online PSP game released for a while, now there's more?

By looking at the boxes, how can you tell if a PSP game is playable online? On the back of my Darkstalkers, it says Wi-Fi Compatible (Ad Hoc/Infastructure)...what the hell does this mean? I assumed this meant that it can only be linked up with another PSP that is across the room, not playable online.

It would be nice if online PSP games were labeled clearly like the Xbox ones that have that bright orange strip across the spine. No mistaking if it's Live compatible when you see that.

Biff_McFresh
03-26-2005, 07:13 PM
Loving Wipeout Pure so far. Gonna throw a few mp3s and pics on later to see how all that works. Hopefully within the month get a 1 gig pro duo.

Drexel923
03-26-2005, 07:25 PM
Found a decent deal on the 1 gig Sandisk duo card...it's on backorder so I don't know how long it will take, but it might be worth the wait for the price:

http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10398736&loc=101&sp=1

zmweasel
03-26-2005, 07:47 PM
Here's a brief summary of my PSP experiences on a game-junket trip to Las Vegas, from which I just got back a few hours ago.

Of the two dozen or so journos at the event, at least six of us had PSPs. (None of us had DSes. I asked.) We played a lot of WiFi two-player Lumines, which was drooling bliss.

Two of us had the PlayGear Pocket, which is Logitech's hard-plastic PSP protector, and which is a mandatory purch. It's rock-solid, and it looks almost as cool as the PSP.

I used the PSP almost continuously during three hours of plane flights to Vegas, another hour or so of airport layover, and an hour or so of downtime at the event, without dipping lower than two bars on the battery gauge.

The guy sitting next to me on the flight back to Redding also had a PSP, but no games; he bought it at Best Buy on Thursday, and planned to use it mostly as a movie player. He was totally engrossed in the Spider-Man 2 UMD when I bugged him and asked if he had Lumines.

Two people walked up to me at the airport and asked me some questions about the PSP, which they thought was the coolest thing ever, and which they planned to buy as soon as they had some disposable cash.

-- Z.

Eric Dude
03-26-2005, 08:00 PM

- load times are awful
- too expensive

I think his opinions are well reasoned enough that you can't dismiss them out of hand. Is he making stuff up? Please refute his points.

Uzi 9mm
03-26-2005, 08:07 PM
Alright, how are you supposed to import images to your PSP? I found some old Sony USB connector, that fits on my PSP. Will I need any special software?

zmweasel
03-26-2005, 08:11 PM
Alright, how are you supposed to import images to your PSP? I found some old Sony USB connector, that fits on my PSP. Will I need any special software?

RE: JPEG importing, RTFM. :) MP3 importing is also described in the docs. There's no special software required to copy JPEGs or MP3s onto a MS Duo.

Video clips are trickier. I thought iPSP (www.kaisakura.com) was the way to go at first, but the more I use PSP Video 9 (www.pspvideo9.com), the more I prefer it. PSPV9 is also free.

-- Z.

Cmosfm
03-26-2005, 08:17 PM

- load times are awful
- too expensive

I think his opinions are well reasoned enough that you can't dismiss them out of hand. Is he making stuff up? Please refute his points.

That's his opinion, I felt that at least 6 games were worth picking up. Lumines is original? ha! It's really just tetris in a DAMN nice package. I dare you to try to find anything truely "original" anymore.

- load times are awful

Not from my standpoint, I've got 6 games and none of them have any longer load time than your standard PS2 game.

I clocked in at 6 hours with Lumines last night, I got about 4 on Tony Hawk. If you are honestly gonna sit and play for more than that on a regular basis in one sitting...you need to get out more.

Buy an extended warranty. :roll:

- too expensive

A (pretty much) portable PS2, a portable movie player that looks better than anything on the market, a all in 1 media player with MP3 and video playback and picture viewer. It comes with a movie, very nice headphones, memory stick & pouch. 250.00 is a damn good price for all it can do, I feel it's worth more than that honestly.

Face it, his views are biased. He doesn't own one and all he can do is spew off the same stupid opinions that everyone's been throwing around for the last year.

digitalpress
03-26-2005, 08:28 PM

As stated in the manual, just copy JPG files to your [PSP DRIVE]:PSP/Photo/. MP3 files go in [PSP DRIVE]:PSP/Music/. For both, you can save your stuff in sub-folders but you can't go more than another level deep (ie Music/80's or Photo/Porn) As Zach said, the video isn't as obvious, it's stored as .mp4 files at [PSP DRIVE]:MP_ROOT/100MNV01/.

I love this thing.

SoulBlazer
03-26-2005, 08:33 PM
Shoot, I just GOT a hard platic PSP protector -- the Pelican one. It's a little heavy but it protects the whole front of the PSP nice.

The Hoei scratch screen that EB sells is MUCH better. It has two tabs for easy application of the gurd and bubbles are VERY easy to smooth out to the sides.

Also picked up a power pack. When charged it has enough juice to recharge the PSP TWICE. Plus you can play while its charging. Also by Pelican.

Pelican also has some nice UMD protectors.

The Intec kit that I got with my PSP from Best Buy is very good as well. Only the screen guard did'nt work that great.

Anyone else have any accesories that are worthwile getting?

The only cons I see to the system are:
Analog button is a little unconfertable after a while
Sound is rather low for some things
Smudges and fingerprints all over VERY easily -- hard to clean
Load times for some games are rather long

Something else I've not seen mentioned -- the UMD drive is VERY quiet. You really only hear it when it's in use. It's a snap to replace memory cards. And the weight and layout of the unit is quite good.

That 1 Gig memory card price is quite good -- one of the workers at EB today said he saw another website where it was even cheaper -- for $65! He did'nt know the URL at the moment, though. :angry: Give us a yell if anyone finds it!

Those are the games I have been TOLD support MP in some function -- weather you can play them over the wi-fi network, I don't know.

Finally, it does take a while to convert movies using PSP Video 9 to get them ready to copy over. You have numerous options on tweaking the sound and picture quality, though, to help to minimize space. The videos play REALLY sharp. :D

le geek
03-26-2005, 09:45 PM
Sounds like you guys are having fun! I just bought a Neo Geo game I shouldn't have, so I'll have to wait but I'd sure like to play some Lumines :D

Cheers,
Ben

chrisbid
03-26-2005, 10:56 PM
That's his opinion, I felt that at least 6 games were worth picking up. Lumines is original? ha! It's really just tetris in a DAMN nice package. I dare you to try to find anything truely "original" anymore.

you seem to agree with me then, i can find original games on the three consoles. how about i expand the idea of original to include any game that isnt a franchise on another machine

Not from my standpoint, I've got 6 games and none of them have any longer load time than your standard PS2 game.

i haven't clocked it against a ps2 or even a psone, but you're trying to say that moving backwards from zero load times on a GBA is an innovation?

I clocked in at 6 hours with Lumines last night, I got about 4 on Tony Hawk. If you are honestly gonna sit and play for more than that on a regular basis in one sitting...you need to get out more.

modern gaming is not apt to brief play sessions. and again, why are you resorting to flaming somebody that doesnt agree with you?

sony should build reliable hardware, 5 or 6 percent failure rate was the norm in the computer business (a few years ago when i worked at a computer store), the latest numbers on the DP poll has a defective rate of 33%... much much much much higher than the %.02 percent Sony of Japan claimed had problems

A (pretty much) portable PS2, a portable movie player that looks better than anything on the market, a all in 1 media player with MP3 and video playback and picture viewer. It comes with a movie, very nice headphones, memory stick & pouch. 250.00 is a damn good price for all it can do, I feel it's worth more than that honestly.

well agree to disagree, but the number of PSPs sitting on store shelves would show that a lot of other people think it is too expensive

Face it, his views are biased. He doesn't own one and all he can do is spew off the same stupid opinions that everyone's been throwing around for the last year.

everybody's views are biased, that is what an opinion is. at least im not resorting to call early adaptors stupid.

Jasoco
03-26-2005, 11:10 PM
I opened Twisted Metal, but I couldn't get it to stay online. I never got into an arena. It kept getting kicked off. :( 1-player mode sucks. I need other people! I should have just gotten Ape Escape. :/

Anyone know if this is a Sony problem or a problem with my network?

Querjek
03-26-2005, 11:40 PM
I opened Twisted Metal, but I couldn't get it to stay online. I never got into an arena. It kept getting kicked off. :( 1-player mode sucks. I need other people! I should have just gotten Ape Escape. :/

Anyone know if this is a Sony problem or a problem with my network?
I can get into an online game after a few tries, but, then, after I play the game for a few minutes, my network connection is lost, which is really pissing me off.

That 1 Gig memory card price is quite good -- one of the workers at EB today said he saw another website where it was even cheaper -- for $65! He did'nt know the URL at the moment, though. Give us a yell if anyone finds it!
It's from this website called "ZipZoomFly", but IIRC, it's out of stock and has been for a long time.

Jasoco
03-26-2005, 11:45 PM
I manually set my Network Settings this time instead of auto. It worked. I was kicking ass, of course the other two left early so I was the only one left in there. It didn't seem to count their totals. :/

Just the sheer thought that I am playing a portable buy with people across the country or world or wherever it is, kicks ass. Wow. Shocking. Amazing. Yeah.

zmweasel
03-26-2005, 11:49 PM
you seem to agree with me then, i can find original games on the three consoles. how about i expand the idea of original to include any game that isnt a franchise on another machine

Your definition of "original" works for me. And I don't think anyone denies that Lumines is the best original PSP game, or that most of the PSP launch games are extensions of existing franchises--which is pretty much what you'd expect from launch games. Nintendo has brought or is bringing all of its 20-year-old franchises to the DS, so are you as annoyed with that system's library as you are with the PSP's?

i haven't clocked it against a ps2 or even a psone, but you're trying to say that moving backwards from zero load times on a GBA is an innovation?

It's not an innovation, but it's the nature of optical media, and the UMD format certainly moves videogame portables forward in terms of storage capacity at affordable prices. A 1.8GB cart certainly wouldn't clock in at $40-$50.

modern gaming is not apt to brief play sessions.

Many of the PSP games thus far are actually very well-suited to brief play sessions. Sony has talked numerous times about making sure its PSP titles can be played in short spurts. Also, basically every PSP game thus far allows you to put the system into sleep mode and resume gameplay from where you left off, or save your game at any time, or both. If the battery runs low, you just sleep/save, recharge, and resume.

sony should build reliable hardware, 5 or 6 percent failure rate was the norm in the computer business (a few years ago when i worked at a computer store), the latest numbers on the DP poll has a defective rate of 33%... much much much much higher than the %.02 percent Sony of Japan claimed had problems

Looking at a DP forum poll and thinking it reflects North American PSP defect rates as a whole is a little bit crazy.

well agree to disagree, but the number of PSPs sitting on store shelves would show that a lot of other people think it is too expensive

What numbers are you quoting? Where are you finding PSPs sitting on store shelves? Are you citing anecdotal "evidence" or actual sales statistics, which won't be available for a while yet?

-- Z.

Jasoco
03-27-2005, 12:03 AM
The sleep feature (Like the DS') is awesome. But I have a peeve about its functionality. It's the same flaw the PS2 has. When I want to turn something OFF, I want to click once. Not have to hold the button/switch down. This irks me. Why not reverse it? Flip and release will power off, hold down will restart (PS2) or sleep (PSP). Sony will never learn. I don't need a sleeping giant in my pocket. I want him turned off, not sleeping.

Oh well. No biggie. The PSP rocks. And I never thought I'd say that. Just a few months ago I was shouting Sony's doom in the portable market. "Nintendo will kick Sony's ass! Sony can't do it!" But well, after seeing it.. I have a feeling I will be plesantly wrong.

Lumines still owns me though. And Mercury will have my head in April. Must have more puzzle games! MUST!!!

goatdan
03-27-2005, 12:04 AM

Looking at a DP forum poll and thinking it reflects North American PSP defect rates as a whole is a little bit crazy.

I'd actually say you're both wrong...

The DP forum probably does reflect the average dead pixel ratio on consoles across America... but as collectors and techno-people, this is also the board that will recognize it the most as being a problem and return it.

In the computer industry, a failure rate of 5-6% on LCD monitors would have been an insanely good rate a few years ago. Personally, I'd bet it was really quite a bit higher, and most of the people just didn't see it as a problem.

Sony is well known in the LCD monitor business for two things -- having a high rate of failure and for having some the best looking monitors on the market for the price. They make money because they deliver a top-notch product to stores, and 97.5% of the people that get them don't have a problem or perceive that they have a problem. I have a Sony LCD monitor, and it is awesome. I did return it (as well as another identical one) for dead pixels when I first got it, but again... I'm one of the 5% (or less) of people that would actually care to do such a thing.

So anyway, the PSP probably has a 33% ratio of having dead pixels, but only about 5% of those people will care. It just so happens most of us frequent boards like this one.

zmweasel
03-27-2005, 12:13 AM
In the computer industry, a failure rate of 5-6% on LCD monitors would have been an insanely good rate a few years ago. Personally, I'd bet it was really quite a bit higher, and most of the people just didn't see it as a problem.

What's the current failure rate (and by failure, I assume we're talking about one or more dead pixels) of LCD monitors?

Sony is well known in the LCD monitor business for two things -- having a high rate of failure and for having some the best looking monitors on the market for the price.

Is the first thing (heh) statistically bolstered by studies or polls, or monitor-geek anecdotal "evidence"?

-- Z.

goats
03-27-2005, 12:20 AM
I went to bestbuy today to try out a psp, just to see how my hands would fit and check out the gfaphics, and was really dissapointed that they did not have a display model. The clerk told me that they were not allowed to have a display model for a month but didn't know why. I would imagine alot of the general public might want to check it out before buying it, I can't imagine why Sony or Best Buy wouldnt allow it.

Eric Dude
03-27-2005, 01:07 AM
I went to bestbuy today to try out a psp, just to see how my hands would fit and check out the gfaphics, and was really dissapointed that they did not have a display model. The clerk told me that they were not allowed to have a display model for a month but didn't know why. I would imagine alot of the general public might want to check it out before buying it, I can't imagine why Sony or Best Buy wouldnt allow it.

Yeah, I was hoping to find a display model at Gamestop, too, but no dice. Seems pretty damn weak to me.

Jasoco
03-27-2005, 01:10 AM
What exactly do I need to look for when shopping for memory cards?

Gamereviewgod
03-27-2005, 01:13 AM
Man, can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong in Ridge Racer? I finished first in every single race in the Basic tour. Not a single problem (few close ones though). Now I get to pro-12, Class 4, Red line, and I can't do it. I've been trying all day. I'm on the final race. I'm not doing anything different. I have to finish first. It simply seems like my car isn't fast enough. Should I have more then 3 selectable right now???

Jasoco
03-27-2005, 01:28 AM
Why can't we do what we did when the DS came out and create a forum specifically for these systems? It's getting too confusing in this one thread. No ones questions are being answered.

Kroogah
03-27-2005, 01:57 AM
For what it's worth, we did have a forum du jour dedicated to both the PSP and the DS for several months. As that's not a permanent thing, the threads were moved in here to the video gaming area and the forum was reassigned. Also, while it was there, the PSP/DS forum was the home to an awful lot of fanboyish system-vs.-system crap, which was not the purpose anyone had in mind for that forum.

It'll do just fine out here, but this seemed like the best way to keep the entire first page of the VG forum from being flooded with PSP-related topics.

Jasoco
03-27-2005, 02:02 AM
This is way too confusing! Just make a PSP forum! :/

Or let us post other PSP topics without locking them! :(

I have many questions. And I have asked many questions. As have others. They all get buried under other peoples posts!

norkusa
03-27-2005, 02:13 AM

I have many questions. And I have asked many questions. As have others. They all get buried under other peoples posts!

Yeah, really. This thread is starting to get messy. I think a temporary PSP forum is a good idea. Just for a couple weeks or so. I'll even help mod it if needed. :)

Cmosfm
03-27-2005, 02:21 AM

It's the launch, "original" games aren't going to push sales. Tony Hawk, NFL Street, Ridge Racer....big name games....THAT'S gonna push sales. Give it a little time for the original games come out.

Welcome to the world of CD Roms, where you can fit bigger games, CD quality music and movies, and an overall cheaper and larger capacity media compared to carts. Without UMD media, PSP wouldn't look HALF as good as it does

modern gaming is not apt to brief play sessions. and again, why are you resorting to flaming somebody that doesnt agree with you?

you get 4-6 hours! that is not BRIEF. I wasn't flaming you either, I was making a statement, not directly at you or at anyone.

I've said it once and I'll say it again...a few dead pixels that you cannot even notice unless you have a black screen and are in a dim lighted room is NOT defective. We can have perfect screens.....and we can pay 800.00.

Actually, the number of PSP's sitting on store shelves would show that IT'S HORRIBLE TO LAUNCH A SYSTEM IN MARCH! People are broke, they spent out at Christmas time, most everyone's already gotten back (and spent) their tax checkes as well. We'll see how things churn out in December though, when you can't find em anywhere....and their hitting 500.00 on eBay.

zmweasel
03-27-2005, 02:26 AM
What exactly do I need to look for when shopping for memory cards?

#1: Make sure it's a Memory Stick Duo or Memory Stick Pro Duo. Regular ol' Memory Sticks don't work. Far as I know, only Sony and SanDisk manufacture Duo cards.

#2: Get the biggest MS Duo you can afford. SanDisk announced a 2GB Duo last month, but it's nearly $400 (!). Someone earlier in this thread posted a link to a SanDisk 1GB Duo, which is big enough to hold three hours of the highest-quality video (768kbps video and 128kpbs stereo audio), or an arseload of MP3s and JPEGs. You can squeeze full-length flicks onto a 512MB Duo, but you'll have to mess around with PSP Video 9's settings to find a level of video and audio compression you can tolerate.

-- Z.

zmweasel
03-27-2005, 02:29 AM

At the very least, I'd love to see threads for iPSP and PSP Video 9, so we can compare notes and figger out the best settings for both programs.

-- Z.

pacmanhat
03-27-2005, 02:37 AM
Maybe I'm just missing something, but causing minor (and for the most part, unnoticable) scratches on the PSP screen seems completely unavoidable. I've had mine for a day, keeping it in its holder all the time unless I'm using it, and to my knowledge I've never touched the screen with anything other than the cleaning cloth. And yet, in certain light (and when it's off), I can see a scratch on the screen. A minor one, but it's still bugging me.

Anyways, enough of my rambling...has anyone else had this problem? If so, how do you feel about it?

zmweasel
03-27-2005, 02:46 AM
By looking at the boxes, how can you tell if a PSP game is playable online? On the back of my Darkstalkers, it says Wi-Fi Compatible (Ad Hoc/Infastructure)...what the hell does this mean? I assumed this meant that it can only be linked up with another PSP that is across the room, not playable online.

Ad Hoc is the local Wi-iFi mode, and Infrastructure is the Internet Wi-Fi mode, but some of the launch games seem to be mislabeled. Metal Gear Acid lists both Ad Hoc and Infrastructure on the back of the box, but only has a two-player Ad Hoc mode. Ape Escape, Lumines, and Untold Legends are all properly labeled as Ad Hoc only.

-- Z.

buttasuperb
03-27-2005, 02:58 AM
Returned my 2nd one this morning, the 3rd one had 6 dead pixels, returned that one this afternoon and finally one with at least no noticible burnt pixels.

zmweasel
03-27-2005, 02:59 AM
A quick tip for PSP Video 9 users:

If you're converting a fullscreen video (1.33:1 or 4:3), choose 320x240 resolution (also 4:3).

If you're converting a 1.85:1 or 16:9 (1.78:1) widescreen video, choose 368x208 (1.77:1).

If you're converting a 2.35:1 widescreen video, choose 416x176 (2.36:1).

Not a tip, but a very preliminary observation: video quality seems to affect filesize much, much more than audio quality. I'm cranking out a series of sample clips at various audio/video settings, and I'll share the results here when I'm done, if anyone cares. :)

-- Z.

Jasoco
03-27-2005, 03:02 AM
I been using iPSP, or ffmpeg4 or QT Pro. So far I successfully got the Hitchhikers Guide trailer to copy over and look pretty good even squished to 13MB using the "Force Full-Screen" option which basically resized the video and added black space to the top and bottom to make it work.

Jasoco
03-27-2005, 03:08 AM
Hey! Here's a question I have been meaning to ask.

Why is it the screenshots on Lik-Sang show the menu as being blue rather than green?

Is there a way to change it? The PSP has the coolest, nicest, smoothest looking splash screen to menu transition I've ever seen, I'd love to be able to customize the color though. Green's nice, blue's also, but I'd love to be able to pick a color. Like red or orange.

mosesshirai
03-27-2005, 03:13 AM
I assume alot of people have seen my rant about having to return my PSP three times. Today, just as I said I would, I went to get another one for the third time. I looked at 5 different PSP's and they all had minor defects. Either screen blemishes or dead pixels. I finally settled on keeping my two-dead pixel unit, and raising a big commotion at Sony. :D

So here I sit with a unit I am unhappy with. I mean the store really tried to help me they broke open 5, count em five, PSP's for me to look at. They even took one out of a different box of 20 units(I think it was 20) hoping that it would have less defects. No chance.

Concluding, having seen at least 6 units, including the original one that had dust all up in it (I should have just kept that one and blown it out the dust if that was even possible), I am so over launch days for new systems.

The only thing keeping me civil right now is two beers and tiredness.

Laters :/

goatdan
03-27-2005, 03:22 AM

What's the current failure rate (and by failure, I assume we're talking about one or more dead pixels) of LCD monitors?

From my own experience -- and while this is only my observation, I see TONS of LCD monitors at work and will only say this based on those numbers (probably 250 within the last year) -- I would say that the amount that have dead pixels are currently around 10%.

Also, as I've stated before, I'm overly sensitive to dead pixels, and I always check them. I know for a fact that most normal users don't even notice them, because of the ones that I have found, I've probably only sent back 1/3rd as the users say they don't see it, so they don't care.

So the actual failure rate is about 10%, but the amount of monitors I've sent back is around 3%.

Sony is well known in the LCD monitor business for two things -- having a high rate of failure and for having some the best looking monitors on the market for the price.

Is the first thing (heh) statistically bolstered by studies or polls, or monitor-geek anecdotal "evidence"?

Just my evidence from my own experiences and speaking with others. When I went searching for my monitor, I was told that Sony was the company to look for (when I bought it, it was one of only a handful of LCD monitors with a DVI in, another thing I was really looking for), but be prepared to return them if dead pixels bothered me. In looking at reviews at the time and more recently to help with some higher-end LCD purchases for work, it seems like Sony monitors have a higher rate of people complaining about their pixels. I've also been told this by people "in the industry" for various things.

All that I know is that personally, I believe it. For the price, it seems to me like the PSP screen is an excellent screen. But I think that when you pay that little for something with so much quality, you sacrifice a little bit of quality assurance.

zmweasel
03-27-2005, 03:33 AM

Why is it the screenshots on Lik-Sang show the menu as being blue rather than green?

Is there a way to change it? The PSP has the coolest, nicest, smoothest looking splash screen to menu transition I've ever seen, I'd love to be able to customize the color though. Green's nice, blue's also, but I'd love to be able to pick a color. Like red or orange.

Quoting the PSP manual:

"When the month changes or if you change the month under 'Date & Time Settings,' the background color will change automatically."

-- Z.

chrisbid
03-27-2005, 03:37 AM
Your definition of "original" works for me. And I don't think anyone denies that Lumines is the best original PSP game, or that most of the PSP launch games are extensions of existing franchises--which is pretty much what you'd expect from launch games. Nintendo has brought or is bringing all of its 20-year-old franchises to the DS, so are you as annoyed with that system's library as you are with the PSP's?

yes, i am annoyed, sega stole nintendo's thunder in the early 90's with original games, and sony took over the industry on the back of original titles. im not saying there is no room for sequels, but there has to be a good mix of original material. This is a knock on modern gaming as much as it is a knock on the PSP or the DS.

It's not an innovation, but it's the nature of optical media, and the UMD format certainly moves videogame portables forward in terms of storage capacity at affordable prices. A 1.8GB cart certainly wouldn't clock in at $40-$50.

the biggest upsides to optical media are price and storage. But UMDs are proprietary as any cartridge, meaning that Sony manufactures all the discs and gets a bigger cut of money as opposed to standard CD or DVD roms. first party games are 40 bucks, and third party games are 50. it remains to be seen what the price point will be for greatest hits and budget titles, but my guess would 30. thus the price advantage of optical media this time around is null

the other upside of higher storage sounds great, but how many games truly take advantage of the extra capacity to enhance gameplay? most of the data on modern games arent polygons and AI, it is FMVs, and music. on a console these features are great (especially on a huge TV with surround sound), but the effect on a handheld (even with a great screen) is greatly diminished. plus, loading and playing FMVs or audio directly from the disc sucks down battery life, but thats another bullet point.

Many of the PSP games thus far are actually very well-suited to brief play sessions. Sony has talked numerous times about making sure its PSP titles can be played in short spurts. Also, basically every PSP game thus far allows you to put the system into sleep mode and resume gameplay from where you left off, or save your game at any time, or both. If the battery runs low, you just sleep/save, recharge, and resume.

sleep mode is nice, but its an emergency measure that skirts the real issue. what fun is a game system if the battery dies on me, sure i wont lose my progress, but im SOL until i get home.

the battery itself seems to be fine, reports say that if you are playing mp3 files from a memory stick, you can get 12 hours out of the battery. it goes back to the decision to use optical media. if sony wasnt so dead set on making the PSP a movie player, solid state media couldve been used for games, and the cost of the unit, and its battery life and load times wouldve been much better.

even if you cut the rate in half, you still have a very high number of bad units. in the past, bad consoles were defined by the lack of abuse it could take (NES, Brickboy, original PSX), but with the PS2 and the PSP, machines are broken out of the package at a higher rate

What numbers are you quoting? Where are you finding PSPs sitting on store shelves? Are you citing anecdotal "evidence" or actual sales statistics, which won't be available for a while yet?

there are no hard numbers to quote, and Sony will certainly spin the initial sales report, but i go by a few observations

- PSPs are still readily available
- news reports on launch day said PSPs would be in short supply and sony expected to sell 1 million units "within a few days"
- retailers had low supply measures in place, such as 1 system per customer rules
- both sony and retailers positioned the PSP in a bundle package, banking on high demand and limited supply. both parties wanted to squeeze extra profit from what was expected to be a slam dunk launch.

Jasoco
03-27-2005, 03:38 AM

Quoting the PSP manual:

"When the month changes or if you change the month under 'Date & Time Settings,' the background color will change automatically."

-- Z.Whoa! That's cool! I wonder if it's random or set by month. I gotta go check this out! I didn't read the whole thing LOL, it's so huge. Even just the English section.

zmweasel
03-27-2005, 03:40 AM
I'm cranking out a series of sample clips at various audio/video settings, and I'll share the results here when I'm done, if anyone cares. :)

-- Z.

I just DLed version 1.1 of PSP Video 9, which has a new "Profile Picker" feature that gives estimated filesizes for video/audio settings. That'll save me some work. :)

-- Z.

chrisbid
03-27-2005, 04:04 AM
It's the launch, "original" games aren't going to push sales. Tony Hawk, NFL Street, Ridge Racer....big name games....THAT'S gonna push sales. Give it a little time for the original games come out.

on the contrary, "killer apps" that sell systems are almost always original games

VCS - Space Invaders
NES - Super Mario Bros
Game Boy - Tetris
Genesis - Sonic the Hedgehog
SNES - Street Fighter II

Welcome to the world of CD Roms, where you can fit bigger games, CD quality music and movies, and an overall cheaper and larger capacity media compared to carts. Without UMD media, PSP wouldn't look HALF as good as it does

i made the point before, solid state media can produce the exact same graphics as UMD discs. music can be compressed, and FMV movies are totally pointless on a handheld. UMD were used so Sony can push yet another proprietary format that few people will use.

you get 4-6 hours! that is not BRIEF. I wasn't flaming you either, I was making a statement, not directly at you or at anyone.

4-6 is not 8-10, and with a rechargeable battery, you do not have the option of bringing a couple extra AA batteries for a quick change if you run out of power at an inopportune time. you are stuck until you find an outlet

I've said it once and I'll say it again...a few dead pixels that you cannot even notice unless you have a black screen and are in a dim lighted room is NOT defective. We can have perfect screens.....and we can pay 800.00.

250 is already a high price for a handheld, there should be a higher standard of quality, than there is for an 80 dollar GBASP. but its not even equal.

Actually, the number of PSP's sitting on store shelves would show that IT'S HORRIBLE TO LAUNCH A SYSTEM IN MARCH! People are broke, they spent out at Christmas time, most everyone's already gotten back (and spent) their tax checkes as well. We'll see how things churn out in December though, when you can't find em anywhere....and their hitting 500.00 on eBay.

maybe that will be one of the excuses sony will give us with their initial sales report. but i still think price is the number one keep away factor. time will tell

chrisbid
03-27-2005, 04:05 AM
bah, double post

zmweasel
03-27-2005, 04:13 AM
yes, i am annoyed, sega stole nintendo's thunder in the early 90's with original games, and sony took over the industry on the back of original titles. im not saying there is no room for sequels, but there has to be a good mix of original material. This is a knock on modern gaming as much as it is a knock on the PSP or the DS.

Fair enough. Unfortunately, game-development costs have reached the point where no one can afford to innovate, but that's a whole 'nuther topic.

the biggest upsides to optical media are price and storage. But UMDs are proprietary as any cartridge, meaning that Sony manufactures all the discs and gets a bigger cut of money as opposed to standard CD or DVD roms. first party games are 40 bucks, and third party games are 50. it remains to be seen what the price point will be for greatest hits and budget titles, but my guess would 30. thus the price advantage of optical media this time around is null

Not all third-party games are $50; Lumines, for example, is $40.

the other upside of higher storage sounds great, but how many games truly take advantage of the extra capacity to enhance gameplay? most of the data on modern games arent polygons and AI, it is FMVs, and music. on a console these features are great (especially on a huge TV with surround sound), but the effect on a handheld (even with a great screen) is greatly diminished. plus, loading and playing FMVs or audio directly from the disc sucks down battery life, but thats another bullet point.

This sounds more like another knock on modern gaming as opposed to a PSP-specific complaint. In any case, Lumines is a good example of a game that benefits from the UMD, packed with high-quality tunage that both enhances and is tied into the gameplay.

sleep mode is nice, but its an emergency measure that skirts the real issue. what fun is a game system if the battery dies on me, sure i wont lose my progress, but im SOL until i get home.

This complaint applies to every handheld system ever, except that the PSP (and DS) offer sleep mode to make the outta-juice experience as painless as possible.

the battery itself seems to be fine, reports say that if you are playing mp3 files from a memory stick, you can get 12 hours out of the battery. it goes back to the decision to use optical media. if sony wasnt so dead set on making the PSP a movie player, solid state media couldve been used for games, and the cost of the unit, and its battery life and load times wouldve been much better.

This isn't a complaint about the PSP, but Sony's decision to make the PSP into a multimedia doohickey. And I'm very glad Sony went with the "Walkman of the 21st century" approach; the PSP's movie-playback capability is friggin' fantastic, and I've had almost as much fun goofing around with that aspect as with the games themselves.

DVD playback certainly didn't hurt the PS2 (especially in Japan), and the PSP's non-gaming functions certainly won't hurt it. Even Nintendo has realized this, hence the DS's forthcoming PDA functions.

Also, the PSP *does* support solid-state media in the form of the MS Duo, which geeks are already joyfully exploiting; see the slashdot link earlier in this giga-thread.

there are no hard numbers to quote, and Sony will certainly spin the initial sales report, but i go by a few observations

- PSPs are still readily available
- news reports on launch day said PSPs would be in short supply and sony expected to sell 1 million units "within a few days"
- retailers had low supply measures in place, such as 1 system per customer rules
- both sony and retailers positioned the PSP in a bundle package, banking on high demand and limited supply. both parties wanted to squeeze extra profit from what was expected to be a slam dunk launch.

I don't disagree with any but your first observation, which I have to assume is referring to online PSPs; I don't know that anyone in any region of the country can easily locate a PSP at a local retailer.

Did retailers expect too much of an off-season, holiday-weekend launch? Seems like it. And Sony will surely cite sell-in numbers instead of sell-though numbers. But what would you consider a "flop" of a launch? Half a million PSPs sold through in the first week? A quarter-million?

-- Z.

zmweasel
03-27-2005, 04:25 AM
the contrary, "killer apps" that sell systems are almost always original games

VCS - Space Invaders
NES - Super Mario Bros
Game Boy - Tetris
Genesis - Sonic the Hedgehog
SNES - Street Fighter II

Space Invaders and Street Fighter II were ports of coin-op hits, not original games, and Tetris was already established as a hit on the PC before it appeared as a Game Boy title. Those games don't strengthen your argument.

i made the point before, solid state media can produce the exact same graphics as UMD discs. music can be compressed, and FMV movies are totally pointless on a handheld. UMD were used so Sony can push yet another proprietary format that few people will use.

Have you actually looked at the PSP's screen for any length of time? :) It's pretty much a mini-HDTV. Movies look absolutely incredible on it. Spider-Man 2 is amazing. Even homebrewed PSP Video 9 clips look pretty damn good.

4-6 is not 8-10, and with a rechargeable battery, you do not have the option of bringing a couple extra AA batteries for a quick change if you run out of power at an inopportune time. you are stuck until you find an outlet

I'm okay with Sony leaving out AA battery support in order to keep the PSP's design as sexy and streamlined as possible. And $20 gets you an external AA battery pack or rechargeable battery, which you should buy if you're traveling so much that you're away from a power outlet for 8 to 10 hours at a time.

250 is already a high price for a handheld, there should be a higher standard of quality, than there is for an 80 dollar GBASP. but its not even equal.

As Dan pointed out earlier, all screens of this nature are prone to dead pixels, not just the PSP's.

-- Z.

chrisbid
03-27-2005, 04:52 AM
This sounds more like another knock on modern gaming as opposed to a PSP-specific complaint. In any case, Lumines is a good example of a game that benefits from the UMD, packed with high-quality tunage that both enhances and is tied into the gameplay.

high quailty tunage can be done on solid state, compressing songs to a format similar to mp3 wouldn't require the space of a UMD

This complaint applies to every handheld system ever, except that the PSP (and DS) offer sleep mode to make the outta-juice experience as painless as possible.

not entirely, a built in rechargeable battery cant be switched on the fly like a set of AAs.

This isn't a complaint about the PSP, but Sony's decision to make the PSP into a multimedia doohickey. And I'm very glad Sony went with the "Walkman of the 21st century" approach; the PSP's movie-playback capability is friggin' fantastic, and I've had almost as much fun goofing around with that aspect as with the games themselves.

the problem with convergence generally is that the extra functions are rarely up to snuff with dedicated devices. in the case of PSP's video playback, if sony had simply had a video out function on the unit, then it would've been in a much stronger position in the portable video player arena.

DVD playback certainly didn't hurt the PS2 (especially in Japan), and the PSP's non-gaming functions certainly won't hurt it. Even Nintendo has realized this, hence the DS's forthcoming PDA functions.

DVDs are a standard format, UMDs are bound to be second class

Also, the PSP *does* support solid-state media in the form of the MS Duo, which geeks are already joyfully exploiting; see the slashdot link earlier in this giga-thread.

the hackability of a game machine will always propel sales, once games can be ripped to memory sticks, and we start to see homebrew and emulators running on the PSP, things will get very interesting. though the DS also has its fair share of funtime vulnerabilities

I don't disagree with any but your first observation, which I have to assume is referring to online PSPs; I don't know that anyone in any region of the country can easily locate a PSP at a local retailer.

Did retailers expect too much of an off-season, holiday-weekend launch? Seems like it. And Sony will surely cite sell-in numbers instead of sell-though numbers. But what would you consider a "flop" of a launch? Half a million PSPs sold through in the first week? A quarter-million?

i dont set sony's goals, the PSP isnt going to die in a month, but im bold enough to assume that sony and many retailers did not meet their goals with the launch.

Jasoco
03-27-2005, 04:56 AM
The battery compartment on the PSP opens without the use of tools. So yes, it IS as easy as changing AA batteries. Except easier because it's one battery rather than fumbling with 2 or more AA's and trying to get them in right.

The DS of course requires a screw driver.

chrisbid
03-27-2005, 05:08 AM
The battery compartment on the PSP opens without the use of tools. So yes, it IS as easy as changing AA batteries. Except easier because it's one battery rather than fumbling with 2 or more AA's and trying to get them in right.

The DS of course requires a screw driver.

i dont see too many people buying a second battery for the PSP

Jasoco
03-27-2005, 05:15 AM
I was replying to your

not entirely, a built in rechargeable battery cant be switched on the fly like a set of AAs.

Also, who says people won't buy second batteries? Yeah, yeah. I know, still Someone out there might.

I for one am more interested in that Pelican thingy.

zmweasel
03-27-2005, 05:21 AM
high quailty tunage can be done on solid state, compressing songs to a format similar to mp3 wouldn't require the space of a UMD

Until someone releases a DS game with as much quality and variety of music as Lumines, I have to disagree with you.

But there's very little difference between carrying around a four-pack of AA batteries and carrying around an external battery pack. Pelican's PSP Power Brick is as tiny and as light as a AA four-pack.

the problem with convergence generally is that the extra functions are rarely up to snuff with dedicated devices. in the case of PSP's video playback, if sony had simply had a video out function on th
e unit, then it would've been in a much stronger position in the portable video player arena.

I assume you mean a video in function, but that would've added jacks and cost to the PSP, not to mention wounding its sexy profile. And, hey, perhaps Sony will release a PSP cable that allows for video input.

DVDs are a standard format, UMDs are bound to be second class

It's hard to tell at this point, although there's no question that Sony's previous proprietary formats have flopped. I've spoken with more people who are impressed with the UMD's size and quality than aren't--mostly casual/non-gamers, exactly the folks Sony is targeting.

i dont set sony's goals, the PSP isnt going to die in a month, but im bold enough to assume that sony and many retailers did not meet their goals with the launch.

I know you didn't set their goals, but what I'm asking is if you consider the PSP launch to be a failure if Sony fell even slightly short of a million units sold in, or sold through, or whatever. What's your personal definition?

-- Z.

chrisbid
03-27-2005, 05:44 AM
But there's very little difference between carrying around a four-pack of AA batteries and carrying around an external battery pack. Pelican's PSP Power Brick is as tiny and as light as a AA four-pack.

but a four pack of AA's do not need to be physically attached to a unit. extra cables and wires severely upset the portability of any handheld device

I assume you mean a video in function, but that would've added jacks and cost to the PSP, not to mention wounding its sexy profile. And, hey, perhaps Sony will release a PSP cable that allows for video input.

i did mean video out. portable DVD players, camcorders, laptop computers, and other devices can be easily hooked to a standard television for viewing. in the case of DV camcorders, a three-tiered 1/8" jack allows for video out. that would not require any additional ports

a video in function would also be cool, but a PC seems to be better suited for the dirty work of video compression.

It's hard to tell at this point, although there's no question that Sony's previous proprietary formats have flopped. I've spoken with more people who are impressed with the UMD's size and quality than aren't--mostly casual/non-gamers, exactly the folks Sony is targeting.

if that is going to happen, then UMDs will have to expand beyond the PSP. UMD playback on sony DVD players would be a good start.

I know you didn't set their goals, but what I'm asking is if you consider the PSP launch to be a failure if Sony fell even slightly short of a million units sold in, or sold through, or whatever. What's your personal definition?

again, im not sony, and we will never know what their goals were, but i have to think that they expected the launch to follow the example of the PS2 and the JPN PSP. if I were running the company, i would be satisfied, but i dont have the global domination mentality of a corporate executive.

btw, this has been a very good exchange... if this were say IGN, things wouldve gone to crap by now :)

zmweasel
03-27-2005, 06:10 AM
but a four pack of AA's do not need to be physically attached to a unit.

extra cables and wires severely upset the portability of any handheld device

The Power Brick actually recharges the PSP's own battery, so you can disconnect the PB after the PSP has been replenished.

As for "upsetting the portability," what exactly do you mean? How does stuffing the Power Brick into a jacket or pants pocket make the PSP any less portable? How does a single thin cable ruin the experience of playing the PSP in a car or on an airplane--especially when it's a backup power source, not a primary one?

I expect that the vast majority of portable gamers don't play for six hours at a stretch, and I assume Sony and Nintendo felt the same way when designing the PSP and DS without AA battery slots. This issue is only going to be a concern for a tiny minority, and that minority can purchase (for the PSP, anyway) a small, affordable external battery pack.

i did mean video out. portable DVD players, camcorders, laptop computers, and other devices can be easily hooked to a standard television for viewing. in the case of DV camcorders, a three-tiered 1/8" jack allows for video out. that would not require any additional ports

Why would you want to hook up the PSP to an external video source when its own screen is better than most anything you could hook it up to?

I could see this working as a Super Game Boy-style function, but not for video playback. UMD discs aren't meant to be played back on standard TVs, but on self-contained screen-sporting portable devices such as the PSP. It would be defeating the purpose of the format to play back UMDs on large-screen TVs.

-- Z.

chrisbid
03-27-2005, 06:25 AM
The Power Brick actually recharges the PSP's own battery, so you can disconnect the PB after the PSP has been replenished.

As for "upsetting the portability," what exactly do you mean? How does stuffing the Power Brick into a jacket or pants pocket make the PSP any less portable? How does a single thin cable ruin the experience of playing the PSP in a car or on an airplane--especially when it's a backup power source, not a primary one?

i didnt realize that, i thought that it was only useful if it was attached to the system

Why would you want to hook up the PSP to an external video source when its own screen is better than most anything you could hook it up to?

I could see this working as a Super Game Boy-style function, but not for video playback. UMD discs aren't meant to be played back on standard TVs, but on self-contained screen-sporting portable devices such as the PSP. It would be defeating the purpose of the format to play back UMDs on large-screen TVs.

that is limiting the function of a UMD and it doesnt address video or photos ripped to memory cards. even the ipod photo has video out for slide shows. there are some portable video players on the market, but none have really broken through as the leader, the PSP could've opened a door for sony

digitalpress
03-27-2005, 07:12 AM
I was really hoping we could avoid the "atrocities of the PSP" in this thread, which should be a celebration by the system's owners.

If it MUST continue I'll split the topic and let you guys duke it out.

PS I love this thing.

evilmess
03-27-2005, 12:10 PM

From the PSP Hardware FAQ at Gamefaqs

A. The PSP's menu changes colour every month according to the PSP's time and
date settings. The colours are:
January: Light Grey
February: Light Yellow
March: Light Green
April: Pink
May: Green
June: Light Purple
July: Cyan/Light Blue
August: Blue
September: Purple
October: Yellow
November: Brown
December: Red

At the time of writing, there is no way to manually set the colour, other than
by changing the date to the colour of the month you require.

Please note: There have been some reports that the PSP does not properly change the menu colour if the PSP is asleep over the month change. This is apparently automatically corrected once the PSP has been turned off, or a game played.

zmweasel
03-27-2005, 12:30 PM
I was really hoping we could avoid the "atrocities of the PSP" in this thread, which should be a celebration by the system's owners.

PS I love this thing.

I'll shut up now and return to celebrating. :)

-- Z.

ClubNinja
03-27-2005, 02:07 PM

As a bystander, I've found the particular exchange in question to be MUCH more informative and insightful than the assorted "PSP is great!" celebration posts. Celebration of a great shift in gaming is wonderful, and it should have its own thread, but I think this is a product of only being "allowed" one PSP thread, while it's obvious that there should be a few more - if not a dedicated (temporary) forum of its own.

GarrettCRW
03-27-2005, 02:27 PM
No, I don't have a PSP yet (but I will comment on the launch).

Why, you ask? First of all, look at the systems I've bought in the past year:

AV Famicom-$95
Famicom Disk System (with games)-$100
Genesis (with games)-$25
Power Base Converter-$15
DS-$149.99
PS2 (with ATV Off Road Fury 2 & online adaptor)-$149.99
PSOne (with three near-worthless games)-$69.99
Sega CD-$40

Throw in some games, and I'm kinda poor right now. ;)

Also, we have the hardware issue. Sony's rep in electronics is falling, and the quality of their console systems (or their quality assurance, at least) seems to prove the point. Even if the UMD drive/launcher and the Square button issues have been solved, I ain't buying a $250 portable with less battery life than a Gameboy Color. (The Target pre-sell info actually plays off the poor battery life as a way to sell more battery packs, so our store can increase the all-important software & accesories to consoles sold ratio.)

I'm not impressed with the games (as rehashes/sequels on the DS at least have the benefit of experimenting with the touch pad and mic to intrinsically distance themselves from the prior and/or PSP equivalents), but launch libraries usually and should look kinda boring compared to the library when a system gets retired.

It should be noted that my Target had about 10 in stock yesterday morning. I have no clue how many we got for Thursday, though, so no idea if it can be called a slam dunk (I doubt it was, though). Call me a skeptic or a Nintendo fanboy, but Sony has to prove to me that this is something worth buying. Nintendo, on the other hand, doesn't (it's just a waiting game for the "right time" with their consoles, since there's always something new with the Big N).

l_lamb
03-27-2005, 03:46 PM
I picked one up Friday afternoon; I had tried at a couple of Gametop stores that were sold out. I found 2 left at Micro Center, then got games at the Target nearby which had 4 PSP's in stock.

For the record - no dead pixels so far.

Question: Does anyone know if the faceplate is going to be easily changed? It looks like the analog stick and one small screw on the bottom are all that's keeping it on. I anticipate this thing looking pretty messy after a lot of use. Seems like there would be a whole aftermarket for personalized faceplates like with cell phones.

Why didn't they print anything on the back of the case inserts? Kinda defeats the purpose of using clear cases just to look at white paper.

Here's a list of UMD movie releases that I got from Home Media Retailing Magazine.

Buena Vista Home Entertainment (Disney)
National Treasure (May 3 - same date as the DVD), Pirates Of The Caribbean (no date), Reign Of Fire (no date), Hero (no date), Kill Bill Vol. 1 (no date)

Sony/Columbia/MGM (all April 19)
XXX, Hellboy, Resident Evil: Apocalypse, Once Upon A Time In Mexico, House Of Flying Daggers (same date as the DVD)

Lions Gate (no dates)
Saw, Punisher, Terminator 2: Judgment Day, Open Water, House Of The Dead, Rambo: First Blood, Total Recall, Young Guns, Step Into Liquid, Universal Soldier, Stargate, National Lampoon's Van Wilder

Lions Gate will add extra content when possible.

Looks like action movies aimed at the early-adopter demographic :)

zmweasel
03-27-2005, 04:05 PM
Why didn't they print anything on the back of the case inserts? Kinda defeats the purpose of using clear cases just to look at white paper.

Metal Gear Acid has (sweet) artwork on the back of its insert, so it's certainly doable. Cost/production issue, I'd guess.

-- Z.

pacmanhat
03-27-2005, 04:09 PM
I've been thinking about getting THUG2 Remix, but I've already got THUG2. Anyone who has it...is there much/enough of a difference to justify having both?

RangerG
03-27-2005, 05:25 PM
This thread is so hard to read. One reply about batteries, to one about bad pixels, to one about the DS, and then one about how great the PSP screen is -- headache! I really liked the separated forum before at the DS launch.

vincewy
03-27-2005, 05:51 PM
Actually this thread isn't too bad, better than some threads at CAG that have 80+ pages during TRU or CC clearance.

For the record of foolishness, check out how many PSPs this guy bought

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62054&item=8180996092

OMG, anyone with common sense @_@ would think twice about picking them all up, this guy must be bankrupt now, the only winner out of this ordeal is eBay, doesn't it (eBay) wish everyone to be this foolish?

Drexel923
03-27-2005, 08:12 PM
Ok...I think I'm getting one tomorrow (that is if I can find one) and I want some advice. I already am planning to get one game, but I'm not sure on the second. Which would you guys recommend between Twisted Metal and Untold Legends?

We shall see what happens. ;)

MarioAllStar2600
03-27-2005, 08:19 PM
Ok...I think I'm getting one tomorrow (that is if I can find one) and I want some advice. I already am planning to get one game, but I'm not sure on the second. Which would you guys recommend between Twisted Metal and Untold Legends?

Same Here! I am picking one up tommorow, please recommend what games to pick up for me. Is Ape Escape any good? Looked decent.

gepeto
03-27-2005, 08:43 PM
I Cracked and picked one today. Gamestop sent me an email coupon for an additional 20 percent trade in credit for items traded in for a psp. The machine is a work of art. It might do too much for its own good. I get the feeling you have to be very gentle with it. My real concerns forget the dead pixels is can it take the handheld beating? I found 2 dead pixels but I am going to keep it because I probably would not have notice it if people weren't obsessing and overblowing the issue. On the other side I think some people have valid concerns, if I have one dead now will I have twenty in 5 months? Will the issue ever be resolved I doubt it because with perfect quality comes a perfect price. I believe whoever won the lcd contract was the lowest bid and they probably have a dead pixel percentage agreement with sony. The real test is to see where these units will be 2 to 3 years from now if it stands up and units are still working I will be impressed.

Uzi 9mm
03-27-2005, 08:43 PM

Same Here! I am picking one up tommorow, please recommend what games to pick up for me. Is Ape Escape any good? Looked decent.

I really reccomend Ridge Racer! Excellent graphics, perfect controls, it's in my opinion the best game for the PSP.

Jasoco
03-27-2005, 08:57 PM
I said it before, Lumines OWNS MY SOUL!!!! It will own YOURS!
http://img.penny-arcade.com/2005/20050325l.jpg

Drexel923
03-27-2005, 09:00 PM

Yep, thats the one I'm definitely getting (also I'm getting Mercury next week). Just not sure what else to get. Ridge Racers looks nice, but I'm not a huge racing fan...and to be quite honest, I'm perfectly happy with the DS version.

SoulBlazer
03-27-2005, 09:07 PM
Personaly, I would go with Untold Legends. I brought my PSP over to my aunt's house today and my cousin was hooked on it. ;)

Yeah, it would REALLY help if we could have a few more threads at least. Joe, please?

I also vouch strongly for Pelican's line of products -- the Power Brick is a great device, the front shield protector attaches at the top, does'nt block anything, and does a great job of protecting the unit, the UMD holders are good, and either Pelican or Hori make good screen peely thingies for the front of the PSP screen to help save wear and tear.

Happy to see there are more UMD movies coming out. It will alwyas be a nich market but it's great for people on the go.

And Zach, I'm also having as much fun as you just simply coverting and experimenting with and copying video clips to my PSP through PSP Video 9. ;)

Hey, I'd like to get the 1 Gig memory stick also but I did'nt want to pay $200+ for it, which is why I went with the 512. Someone eariler found a site with one for $120 that did'nt seem that bad a price, but I'll stay with the 512 for now.

Drexel923
03-27-2005, 09:24 PM
Someone eariler found a site with one for $120 that did'nt seem that bad a price, but I'll stay with the 512 for now.

Yeah, that was me...buy.com has them for $120 but they are on backorder. I can't imagine having to wait forever with something like that to come back in stock, so it may be a good deal.

Jive3D
03-27-2005, 09:44 PM
I broke down and bought one last night at Toys R Us in Boca Raton, FL before my flight back to NYC today.

I'm extremely impressed. I only got Wipeout Pure with the system - that game is the system seller for me, and I'm loving it - thank god it does not remind me of Fusion at all.

I have one dead pixel, one tiny 'nick' right in the center of the screen.

Has anyone noticed thier speakers acting funky? I can't tell if it's my ears or not, but the speakers are sounding kinda funky (distorted/popped sounding) from time to time in the Wipeout Pure game mode selection menu...

Regardless, I don't think I'm going to be playing with my DS anymore, at least not until they start putting out some games.

James
03-27-2005, 09:57 PM
I broke down and bought one last night at Toys R Us in Boca Raton, FL before my flight back to NYC today.

I'm extremely impressed. I only got Wipeout Pure with the system - that game is the system seller for me, and I'm loving it - thank god it does not remind me of Fusion at all.

Has anyone noticed thier speakers acting funky? I can't tell if it's my ears or not, but the speakers are sounding kinda funky (distorted/popped sounding) from time to time in the Wipeout Pure game mode selection menu...

Regardless, I don't think I'm going to be playing with my DS anymore, at least not until they start putting out some games.

Is Ys VI coming out in North America or are we being left out again along with all the other Ys remkes? That would have sold the PSP even more if it was released for it on launch. Well hopefully they will. In Japan Ys VI was relesed on the 24 for both the PSP and the PS2 and both version are Identical from what I can tell. Oh and Jive3D you might have something stuck in one of the tiny speaker holes that might be causing the distortion. And I guess you don't mind but I've said it before I will not stand for even one dead pixel. If I'm paying that much for a system I want the thing I'm going to be looking at the most to perform as perfectly as it's suppose to without any defects, I think that's a pretty fair argument. And there are supposed to be 48 DS games released between the end of May and the end of September. About 10 more between now and May.

Jibbajaba
03-27-2005, 10:44 PM

Is Ys VI coming out in North America or are we being left out again along with all the other Ys remkes? That would have sold the PSP even more if it was released for it on launch. Well hopefully they will. In Japan Ys VI was relesed on the 24 for both the PSP and the PS2 and both version are Identical from what I can tell. Oh and Jive3D you might have something stuck in one of the tiny speaker holes that might be causing the distortion. And I guess you don't mind but I've said it before I will not stand for even one dead pixel. If I'm paying that much for a system I want the thing I'm going to be looking at the most to perform as perfectly as it's suppose to without any defects, I think that's a pretty fair argument. And there are supposed to be 48 DS games released between the end of May and the end of September. About 10 more between now and May.

I agree about Y's being a system seller. I REALLY REALLY want a PSP, but I also REALLY REALLY want a reason to buy one. I need for a must-buy game to come out so that I can say "Well, I was going to hold off on buying one, but damnit this game is awsome." I'm not saying that some of the launch titles arent good, and in fact I will probably pick a couple of them up down the road when I get a PSP, but I need a decent RPG or Gran Turismo or something to come out to force me to buy the friggin thing. Because I would only have one game to start with, I want it to be something that I will play the crap out of, and RPGs are what I play the most, so if the system had even an OK RPG, I would be much more inclined to buy it. As it stands now, I would get untold legends because it is at least similar to baldour's Gate / Dungeon Seige / whatever. What I really want however is a true RPG, and Y's would fit the bill nicely.

Chris

Jive3D
03-27-2005, 11:22 PM
Is Sony selling empty UMD cases online? (the game box, not the actual umd plastic 'shell') It would be nice to have a real case for Spiderman & the demo disk rather than the cardboard sleeve...

Nintendo sells empty DS cases at their store...

zmweasel
03-27-2005, 11:37 PM
http://img.penny-arcade.com/2005/20050325l.jpg

The falling blocks in Lumines are only TWO colors, not four, but I do understand the point of the strip. :)

-- Z.

pacmanhat
03-28-2005, 12:48 AM

I had this problem w/ Wipeout this afternoon, only it was during a race. Just once, too. I wonder if it's a problem w/ the software?

evilmess
03-28-2005, 01:01 AM
Find great prices for 128, 256, and 512 Mem sticks here

http://dealram.com/prices/42/512MB.html

sisko
03-28-2005, 01:06 AM
Actually this thread isn't too bad, better than some threads at CAG that have 80+ pages during TRU or CC clearance.

For the record of foolishness, check out how many PSPs this guy bought

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=62054&item=8180996092

OMG, anyone with common sense @_@ would think twice about picking them all up, this guy must be bankrupt now, the only winner out of this ordeal is eBay, doesn't it (eBay) wish everyone to be this foolish?

Or stole.

With sales taxes and ebay fees the guy is going to barely break even at wholesale prices. Iif you include his ridiculous shipping rate, he will be making a marginal profit not worth the effort.

James
03-28-2005, 01:40 AM
Is Sony selling empty UMD cases online? (the game box, not the actual umd plastic 'shell') It would be nice to have a real case for Spiderman & the demo disk rather than the cardboard sleeve...

Nintendo sells empty DS cases at their store...

Probably not, you'd have to go through their parts department or a special third party retailler and I don't think just anyone can buy stuff from there. I once tried to order replacement PS2 cases because I wanted the memory card slot in them but they didn't sell them. Sony generally has lousy customer service when it comes to that sort of thing. To bad it's such a specialized case otherwise you could just use a third party one. Try bugging Sony, I'm sure if you ask the right questions you might find out where they sell them.

Jasoco
03-28-2005, 02:04 AM
The video I watched for Lumines the other night (The 25 minute one that sealed my decision to buy the thing.) must have been an old version of the game, (maybe the Japanese one) because that long 5 second silence is nonexistant in the US version. Music changes almost right away in the current release. THE GAME KICKS ASS! Tetris for the new millennium.

digitalpress
03-28-2005, 07:09 AM
I'm going to unsticky this now that the launch weekend has ended - feel free to continue discussions here or start new threads, but redundant threads will be re-directed as always.

Jasoco
03-28-2005, 07:35 AM
Let me be the first to say "Yay!" and well, now I don't know what thread to post. LOL

digitalpress
03-28-2005, 07:40 AM
Let me be the first to say "Yay!" and well, now I don't know what thread to post. LOL

You've just proven my point.

EVERYONE wants to talk about it when it first comes out. Now (hopefully) the discussions will revolve around specific PSP topics - just like every other system.