Thread: Genesis Versions?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Default Genesis Versions?

I know this is a common question, but I've tried searching the web and the boards and I'm coming up with nothing. Which is the best version of the Genny and why?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

For a collectable standpoint, I would say the original Genesis 1 that shipped with Altered Beast. It interfaces flawlessly with the Sega CD Model 1 (I don't think the Genesis 2 can at all and if it did it would look awkward) and has the front headphone jack for a stereo connection. The original Genesis also lacks security chips, so some of the first unlicensed games (Test Drive, Onslaught, etc.) will play without fail. Now how to tell if a system is an original, THAT I don't know. Anyone who is more of a Genesis collector know for sure?

From a money investment standpoint, there's also the Sega CDX (Genesis and SegaCD all in one unit). Compact, hard to find, and I think pulls a decent amount off of EBay if you want to sell it. The downside is that beacuse everything is scrunched into a small case there is more electronic noise that can be heard over the TV or stereo speakers and the unit tends to overheat real easy. Also the 32 X cannot work on it without hard to find special sleeves (from what I've been told). The other is investment is I think the JVC X'Eye that I think plays Genesis and Sega CD games, but I don't know a whole lot more about it.

Personally I like the Original Genesis. I like the looks and it's got a heap of noslagia for me as it was the first system I bought with my own hard earned cash when it first hit the streets.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Sega Master System Converter only works with the original Genesis.
    Load "*",8,1

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

While I like the second-generation Genesis for its sleek appearance, there really isn't a good reason to choose it over the original system. The Genesis 1 has all of the options mentioned above, and there's also something cool about its volume control switch.

By the way, Majesco's cheap Genesis 3 may seem like the worst of the models, but it's the only one that can play Mega Drive cartridges without an adapter or other modification.
    Kidfenris.com: Never Updated.

Cherry (Level 1) Eternal Champion's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would agree with the above posters--I have had a Genesis 1 since 1990, and when my then-girlfriend now-wife had a Genny 2 (mid-90s), I couldn't believe they got rid of the stereo jack...I always thought that was such an innovative addition.

BUT, if you have a stereo receiver or stereo TV with RCA inputs, it doesn't matter, because the Genesis 2's A/V output includes 2-channel stereo sound. That's an upside of the Gen 2--more practical for hooking up to stereo components. You just have to track down the cable, which is DIFFERENT from the Genny 1--different pinouts. Genny 1 and 2 also both output RGB.

But I watched the progress of the Genesis before it came out so I have nostalgia for that original design...so different, sleek, futuristic for the time, compared to the NES! I always thought it looked like a sci-fi CD player or something (c'mon, it WAS 1989)...

Apparently the Genesis 3 doesn't have any A/V outs, only RF--is that right???? Thing wasn't even made by Sega...I dunno about that one...BUT being able to just thrown in a Mega Drive cart is pretty sweet, if that's really true...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The Genesis 3 does use the Genesis 2 Stereo AV but that is all it can do and is more of a novelty then anything else. Why it gets more then a Genny 1 or 2 on Ebay is beyond me. I've found the system 1 to be more compatable with my 32x to.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You've got to get a Genesis 1. Not just a Genesis 1, but the first batch of systems WITHOUT that ugly disclaimer that appears whenever you turn the system on.
    And of course, a Nomad's always fun to have around, if just for the novelty value...

JR
    The Gameroom Blitz. Here. Go. Now.
    http://grblitz.overclocked.org

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The model-1 Genesis has 2 variants - lockout and non-lockout. If it has the text "High-Definition Graphics and Stereo Sound" at the top, then it may be the non-lockout version. If it doesn't say that, it is more than likely a lockout version. It appears that Sega changed the chipset, and then later changed the case design. I have examples of all three. Only way to be sure is to plug them in.

The lockout model Genesis displays the "This game is made by or licensed...something something" when you start them up.

The 32X can be used with the CDX without any adapters. The CDX can also use the Power Base Convertor. It looks strange, but it works. I've used both for extended periods of time with no ill effects.

Stereo audio is easily obtained from the Model 2 Genesis, but obtaining the cable with stereo outputs is not as easy. It looks similar, but is in no way comptaible with the Saturn A/V cable. I've only seen a stereo Genesis A/V cable once. I have a giant pile of mono A/V cables.

You can plug a Genesis 2 into a SegaCD model 1, but you'd have to prop it up with a book or something. Plus, you'd need adapters to mix the audio together.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No one has mentioned the Laseractive... truly kickass way to play them.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah I recommend a Sega CDX, but there are a few first generation genesis games that the CDX cannot play, I forget which ones, and a Sega Nomad is not a bad idea either
    Games, games and more games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't see why the Genesis 3 is so bad. It does use AV jacks and plays the games just the same as 1 and 2 (for the most part). I have had mine for awhile now, problem free.

I got the Genesis 3 version mainly because it is so low profile. I had so many systems hooked up, I didn't have room for the Genny 1. Now, I just park it on top of my NES console. It is pretty cool that it is the size of a portable CD player.

All in all however, I would get the Genny 1. It has more features and looks very cool.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Do what I did and buy a few of each.

I've lost count...but I have somewhere around three 1s, four 2s, one 3, a JVX X'Eye, two Nomads, three 32x, a model 1 SCD and two model 2 SCDs. The X'Eye runs most everything and sounds a bit better than the Sega units.

Snorter
    Visit http://www.GenesisCollective.com for the most extensive Genesis database on the net.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I love my CDX....it's all I use to play Genny games. And I've yet to find anything that's not compatible with it. And if you REALLY push, the Power Base Adaptor sorta fits....
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Oops my fault Maxlords, I was thinking of something else, yes indeed, The CDX will play all Genesis and Sega CD Games as far as I know
    Games, games and more games

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

No one has mentioned the JVC SEGA CD COMBO also have S-video and work whit the 32x way to play them

I have the u.s.a JVC SEGA CD