Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default April Console Sales

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=16199

The numbers:

Nintendo DS: 471K (10.9 million total)
    Nintendo Wii: 360K (2.5 million total)
    Sony PlayStation 2: 194K (38.2 million total)
    Sony PSP: 183K (7.4 million total)
    Microsoft Xbox 360: 174K (5.4 million total)
    Nintendo Game Boy Advance: 84K (35.7 million total)
    Sony PlayStation 3: 82K (1.3 million total)
    Nintendo Gamecube: 13K (11.7 million total)

Looks as though the PS3 isn't selling that much. Nintendo seems to have figured out what to do.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Great Puma (Level 12) -hellvin-'s Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It sucks for Sony...a lot of people just don't want to throw down 600 bucks for a console alone with none of the essentials. I would hands down own one if it wasn't for the price point, I just have no way to throw that much money toward a game system. Sucks for them since it's a double edged sword and they're loosing money just making the console.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Evan_G View Post
    http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=16199

The numbers:

Nintendo DS: 471K (10.9 million total)
    Nintendo Wii: 360K (2.5 million total)
    Sony PlayStation 2: 194K (38.2 million total)
    Sony PSP: 183K (7.4 million total)
    Microsoft Xbox 360: 174K (5.4 million total)
    Nintendo Game Boy Advance: 84K (35.7 million total)
    Sony PlayStation 3: 82K (1.3 million total)
    Nintendo Gamecube: 13K (11.7 million total)

Looks as though the PS3 isn't selling that much. Nintendo seems to have figured out what to do.
    The Wii sales are smaller than I thought. At least given all the talk we keep hearing about Nintendo's success with the system. All it takes is a couple of AAA exclusives to help close the gap between 1.3 million and 2.5. For all of the press the Wii is getting, that isn't a huge advantage like we are being led to believe. The sales are almost double of what Sony is doing with the PS3 but double of 1.3 million is a lot different than double of 5 or 6 million. Are these figures in the United States only?

Hint: The folks who have been posting that Sony is "done" over the past couple of weeks still have time to go back and edit their threads or posts to remove the evidence.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ntanner

I think they're US only, as the PS2 probably has more than 38.2 million sold worldwide, I'd think.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    joey_80

Yeah that has to be US only numbers. I think Japan sells that many DS's per hour. :P

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think nintendo would have higher sales numbers, but they're still having supply problems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It looks like all the consoles are doing pretty well overall, but I can't see how 82k can make Sony happy in terms of recent trending considering that they seem to be meeting demand.

On the other hand, Microsoft can't be too comfortable given that their head start advantage seems to be quickly disappearing. (Serves them right for those patent lawsuits they just slapped down on the open source movement)

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If these were November or December sales i would say it would be time to worry, but when its April sales i dont think they are that bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja View Post
    If these were November or December sales i would say it would be time to worry, but when its April sales i dont think they are that bad.
    What about the 1.3 million total sold figure? How many months has it been available in the US now?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    What about the 1.3 million total sold figure? How many months has it been available in the US now?
    The same could be said about the Wii, regardless of how hard it is to find. 2.5 million isn't as much as I thought it would have sold given the way people are crowing about how "Nintendo is back on top." Yeah, 1.3 million sold may look like crap and it is selling at a slower rate than the Wii but I wouldn't count out Sony quite yet. They'll figure something out and this is coming from someone who is hardly a Sony supporter.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    kejoriv

I cant believe that the Gamecube sold 13,000 units.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SloshyCape0

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    The same could be said about the Wii, regardless of how hard it is to find. 2.5 million isn't as much as I thought it would have sold given the way people are crowing about how "Nintendo is back on top." Yeah, 1.3 million sold may look like crap and it is selling at a slower rate than the Wii but I wouldn't count out Sony quite yet. They'll figure something out and this is coming from someone who is hardly a Sony supporter.

No your not a sony supporter......Mr. "I have 10 ps1's" ---Just joking ......but you do

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PaleSonicakuma

what about the wii
    read sonic doom everyday on my myspace profile

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I have to agree with some of the post above. With all the "Wii sell out as son as they hit the shelf" and the "their are pallets of ps3 with dust in every game store" the numbers are not as good/bad as I thought they would be. But then again I am going by what I am reading off message boards.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Of course we can all spin numbers to suit our needs and wants, so let me do add my slant: In the month of April the Wii out sold the PS3 by almost a 4 to 1 margin. While the PS3 has seen softer and softer sales each month, the Wii continues to gain strength increasing it's market share. These numbers do not include the Japanese numbers which are often much higher for Nintendo products.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    To be honest, i think 1.3 million PS3 sold in the US is pretty good. As Hep038 says, you would think its much lower with all the "PS3 is collection dust in the stores. Stocks are full. We sold 1 PS3 this week." comments. These numbers shows that Wii isnt even outselling PS3 2 to 1. I would think it was much bigger difference (probly would be if Wii supply was higher, but still).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    joey_80

But you also have to keep in mind that the Wiis are selling through pretty much as soon as they hit the shelves. There are STILL people that want to buy one that simply can't. You can pretty much go into ANY store and see 1 or 2 PS3's on the shelf (if not more) at any given time. If Nintendo was actually able to produce more units I'm sure that the number of units sold would go right up with it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by studvicious View Post
    But you also have to keep in mind that the Wiis are selling through pretty much as soon as they hit the shelves. There are STILL people that want to buy one that simply can't. You can pretty much go into ANY store and see 1 or 2 PS3's on the shelf (if not more) at any given time. If Nintendo was actually able to produce more units I'm sure that the number of units sold would go right up with it.
    Well, it doesn't matter how many systems you sell at launch or even in the first 8-10 months. If people want to pick a winner or loser, it boils down to which system has the better games and has sold more systems when it is all said and done.

Quote Originally Posted by The Shawn View Post
    No your not a sony supporter......Mr. "I have 10 ps1's" ---Just joking ......but you do
    Yeah, I do. All but one of those 10 were sitting abandoned and unloved in thrift stores or at yard sales. The remaining unit is the one I owned originally. It helped that they were all $15 or less, most of them cost me between $3-5. Game systems (non-portables) don't come no cheaper than the PS1.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

What's most surprising to me is that the PSP outsold the 360 in April.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Assuming these are North America figures due to low console sales.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyjackcsa View Post
    Of course we can all spin numbers to suit our needs and wants, so let me do add my slant: In the month of April the Wii out sold the PS3 by almost a 4 to 1 margin. While the PS3 has seen softer and softer sales each month, the Wii continues to gain strength increasing it's market share. These numbers do not include the Japanese numbers which are often much higher for Nintendo products.
    Thank you! That's the first thing I saw, ratio of sales. If the PS3 were selling systems at 82K per month they'd barely break 500k units total today. Looking at the Wii, they've been selling what's on the shelf and they've had a constant sale, which isn't a good thing either. They can't supply the demand so once their demand has been fed you'll see sale declines and maybe growth later in its life as more games come out and the supply exists.

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja
    To be honest, i think 1.3 million PS3 sold in the US is pretty good. As Hep038 says, you would think its much lower with all the "PS3 is collection dust in the stores. Stocks are full. We sold 1 PS3 this week." comments. These numbers shows that Wii isnt even outselling PS3 2 to 1. I would think it was much bigger difference (probly would be if Wii supply was higher, but still).
    I believe the reason they're "collecting dust" is because they have flooded the market, no demand to buy them. Their sales might be decent but they've over manufactured, which is silly I think. If it costs $x now to produce and $x-y to produce some delta time later then it's cheaper to crank up production once that demand is fit. They're losing exccess money from these big shipments to no customers.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]