Thread: Game Magazines.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Game Magazines.

What are some good Game Mags? I know of Game Informer, Xbox, PlayStation and Nintendo. If anyone has any more or their sites plmk.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    joey_80

You can scratch OPM off of that list. (assuming of course that you're interested in subscribing to mags)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    retroman20/retroman21
    PSN
    retroman13

Default mags

Retro Gamer....not sure the site. Great, but pricy mag.

Insert Coin (Level 0) Knoxximus's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Knoxximus

I like Hardcore Gamer mag....made by the same guys who used to do GameFan Magazine (my fav mag EVAR!!1!). It's a nice balance of previews, reviews, revisitations to consoles/games past, a RIP section for good games that never got the attention they deserved....hell, they even show you how to mod stuff!
    Hardcore gamin' since '75

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Here's my top 5

Might not interest you though if you don't really care for NES-GEN-SNES-Saturn gaming, as these mags were from that era (at least, when the publication was actually GOOD)

My Top 5 Magazine Publications

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

IMO, the original Electronic Games magazine was the best video game related magazine, ever printed. Period.

And since I perfer magazines pre-1985, than I do anything printed nowadays, I'll also recommend Joystik, Electronic Fun With Computers and Games, Video Games Magazine, Compute! and Compute's Gazette (an All C-64 magazine)

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was always partial to Gamers Republic, RIP. *tear* I can vouch for Retro Gamer and Harcore Gamer as far as excellent still-in-print mags.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Insert Coin (Level 0) Windy Miller's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    Might not interest you though if you don't really care for NES-GEN-SNES-Saturn gaming, as these mags were from that era (at least, when the publication was actually GOOD)

My Top 5 Magazine Publications
    That was a good read. I've never read an issue of SSM, as I only bought a Saturn a year or two ago & never really explored the console. Looks like it might be worth picking up a few issues of it.

I've also enjoyed the odd issue of Hardcore Gamer Magazine, which just feels & smells right. It's quite a good read too.
    Last edited by Windy Miller; 05-29-2007 at 05:03 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0) starfox316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was always down with OPM, especially with some fat demo disc thrown in here and there.
    GARY strikes hard.
    THE SKELETONS tak 6 damage.
    Your Party has defeated the THE SKELETONS.
    GARY gaind 58 XP.
    GARY level up.
    GARY learnt BONER THROW.
    The monster leaves HERB.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Games Tm is a pretty good mag from the UK it's made more for the adult gamer with a retro section their site is: www.gamestm.co.uk

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Over the year's I'd rate it like this...

Electronic Gaming Monthly (Ed Semrad, Sushi-X days)

DIE HARD GAME FAN

Mega Play {all SEGA Magazine}

Next Generation Magazine

Retro Video Gamer {Uk Publication}

EDGE {current mag from the UK}

Gamer's Republic

Strawberry (Level 2) Drag0nsfyre's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I won't repeat the other great mags already mentioned. One other one that I like as far as modern gaming mags go is Play magazine It also covers anime, manga, imports, PC, etc.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Since your posting this in the classic section, then I'm guessing your a fan of classic games. If that's the case, then the hell with the current magazines out there right now. Collect the old ones. Nothing will give you the same sense of nostalgia, as kicking back in bed, snuggling up to a good issue of Next-Generation or Die Hard GameFan or Video Games & Computer Entertainment or Game Players. Playing old games, will give you that nostalgic feeling, but to really get a feel for what it was like in the gaming scene when one of your favorite games was coming out, it's best to get a mag from that time span and just look thru it.

My favorite period in video gaming is from around 1989 to 1994. So my favorite mags are ones that existed during that time frame. Of course, there were some very good magazines that came a bit later, like Next-Generation (started in 1995), PS Extreme (started in 1995/96 Playstation only), Gamers Republic (started around 1998 or so).

Some of my favorites:

1. Die Hard GameFan - Didn't start until very late 1992. Wish they started in 1989, that would have been sweet. So they only covered my sweet spot of gaming for about 14 issues. But I love all the GameFan issues for the most part.

2. Next-Generation - They didn't start till 1995, right around the time the Saturn and PS1 were first being launched. Still a great mag, more from an industry perspective. It would give you a good feel for the state of the industry, with some really good interviews.

3. EGM - EGM is actually very much overrated, but the key thing they had going for them, is their page count. Also, they were around for the whole time during the glory years 89-94. To be honest though, much of the mag is wasted with generalities, and they don't give alot of opinion, except in the reviews. The previews in the old days, said nothing that you couldn't have read on the back of the box (completely opposite is gamefan). Still EGM was one of the few mags back then that actually covered the import scene a bit, and some of the less popular consoles. Although they didn't give them much run

4. Video Games & Computer Entertainment - Only downside to this mag, is that they covered alot of the computer side of things, and during their run, I could care less about computers, so alot of the mag didn't speak to me. However, I loved their gaming coverage. And they were around during the golden years.

5. Game Players - Game Players actually got better in the later issues. The early issues were pretty basic. They were around since the beginning of the golden era, but they didn't get good until 94 or so.

6. GamePro - GamePro is pretty lame to be totally honest, but they were one of the few mags that were around in 1989 and 1990, so you have to give them their credit for that. They were more designed to appeal to twelve year olds, and I wasn't 12, so that's part of the reason I didn't like them as much. Still some of the older issues bring back some really good memories.

Those are just a few that come to mind. I'd love to check out a bunch of the U.K. mags from that time period, but they are too damned expensive on Ebay.

Again, 1989 to 1994 is the best period in gaming, and I would concentrate on mags from those years. Of course, if you grew up with a N64 and a Dreamcast, then your take will be different, so it really depends on the years that are more sentimental to you.
    Last edited by Anthony1; 05-30-2007 at 05:27 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

I'm going to second Retro Gamer and Games™ Magazine. Both are British imports, so they'll be around $11 or $12 each, but they're both pretty good. Games™ has a small but usually nice retro section towards the back.