Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

5. Suikoden
    4. Vandal Hearts
    3. Final Fantasy VII
    2. Final Fantasy Tactics
    1. Front Mission 3

I disqualified Final Fantasy VI and Ogre Battle since they were merely SNES ports. The Lunars got left out for a similar reason. Even though they were "Special Editions" they merely covered the same ground the SegaCD had done just as effectively.

Suikoden had to fight Persona for the #5 spot. In the end, I determined that Suikoden had the broader appeal making it a more enjoyable game.

I find it odd that I'm the first one to mention Front Mission 3. It does have the flaw of linearity. The story also sucks goat balls (a problem which Final Fantasy Tactics also has in abundance). The gameplay is godly, though. It makes up for all the flaws and elevates it to the best of the best.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    Final Fantasy I and II haven't aged well at all (II in particular was a tedious mess)
    Personally, I find FF1 to be engaging. It's not terribly interesting in terms of story, true. It's just a solid old school romp. It's an entertaining test of endurance.

Please note, I'm referring to the remix on the PS1 with the improved graphics and slightly easier difficulty (although not all difficulty yanked out of it like the GBA version). The original NES version is too bland looking and a bit too vicious to be enjoyable.

On the other hand, FF2 is a pile of dogsnot. It could have been a decent game with a normal XP mechanic. Unfortunately, the game uses it's broken "learn what you do" XP system which prompts silly activities like stripping the characters naked and then having them slapfight each other in front of monsters in order to build up decent HPs. Perhaps one day Square will do a remix of the game with a proper game engine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Some of my favorites (Japan only)

5) Shin Megami Tensei: To fans of the series, there isn't much else to say. It takes the Wizardry-style "dungeon crawling" engine and adds a modern storyline and the ability to reason with your enemies rather than kill them. If you give them the right items they can even fight on your side. I just got this game a few weeks ago and already it's in my top 5.

4) Monster Collection: Based on a Japanese trading card game of the same name, Monster Collection uses the first card series as the mode of battle for an RPG. You can trade cards with NPCs and other players, battle through dungeons turning monsters into cards, and entering tournaments. The actual battle system requires that you design a coherent deck that has good synergy among all the cards in it: the opponents are very unforgiving.

3) First Queen IV: The First Queen games are RPG's with a touch of real-time strategy. Instead of controlling one character, you control several armies of around 18 characters. You move the armies across the world map, and when you get into a battle you can control each soldier individually in real-time. The graphics are great, with nice large sprites when zoomed in. There are many improvements from the last First Queen console game on SFC: there's a money system, custom class change routes, multi-tiered battles, and a world map that's about twice as large. In short, FQ4 is one of the most addictive RPG's I've played in a while.

2) Black/Matrix Cross: I'm not sure if simulation RPG's count here, but this is one of the best. The graphics are great, all the cutscenes are fully voiced, and there are many new gameplay mechanics that make it stand out from other simulation RPG's. Most prominently, instead of magic points your characters can get blood points from killing enemies. These points can be distributed among the active party before each battle, so the magic users can get more and the main attackers can get less. The points can also be used to add abilities to weapons. There's also a gauge during battles that shows who has the advantage -- the player or the enemy. The side with the advantage gets increased damage and defense, so each move has to be carefully timed so that it lines up with the gauge. This may sound simple, but it adds a whole new strategy to the battles. You can ressurect dead enemies as zombies and make them suicide bomb enemy positions, but if the gauge is in their favor, the attack will barely hurt them. If the gauge is in your favor, though, the zombie bomb will kill pretty much everyone in its radius.

1) Kuroi Hitomi no Noir Cielgris Fantasm: One of the lesser-known Gust titles that was overshadowed by the Atelier games, Cielgris Fantasm is a refreshing twist on the "monster catching" games of the late '90s. The real-time battles with six character parties are great. The hand-drawn graphics (including watercolor paintings) are gorgeous and show the futility of photorealism in games. There are TONS of hidden events and items, an arena to conquer, secret monsters to catch, and plenty of endings. It's one of those games that you can play over and over and never play it the same way twice.

If I had a Jynx think of the things we can do together. She also kisses alot.
    Not to mention her breast plates is obviously hiding something nice
    The of Jynx as a XXX doll pokemon. -Rugal Sizzler

┏┫∵┣┛My Collection┏┫∵┣┛

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Its always tough for me to decide if I like ff7 or ff9 better, however I think I really have decided that I like ff9 better just due to its highly medievil and fantasy setting

1) Final fantasy 9
    2) Final Fantasy 7
    3) Final fantasy 8
    4) Xenogears
    5) Legend of Dragoon

Visit my YouTube page: Pete's Game Room

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel View Post
    Personally, I find FF1 to be engaging. It's not terribly interesting in terms of story, true. It's just a solid old school romp. It's an entertaining test of endurance.

(snip)

On the other hand, FF2 is a pile of dogsnot.
    Yea, I used to dig FF1 as recently as ~1994-ish, but I guess the span of time between when I played it last and now has just been too great. It's hard to put my finger on specifically what I dislike about it that puts me off, but I guess it's the primitive combat system in comparison to everything else I've played since then. I have a similar problem going back to the Dragon Warrior games (though the interface in those is leaps and bounds worse than FF's... and I used to adore old school CRPGs)

I thought that FF I+II on GBA was the version of II that magically didn't suck. Should I still avoid it or give it a peek-a-boo?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I thought that FF I+II on GBA was the version of II that magically didn't suck. Should I still avoid it or give it a peek-a-boo?
    You know, now that it's brought up, I realize I don't have a clear memory of playing FF2 on the GBA. I wonder if I attempted it? After all, the Final Fantasy Origins FF2 on the PS1 had left a really bad taste behind.

I do remember that FF1 for the GBA had all the difficulty ripped out of it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For me....

5-Beyond the Beyond.
    4-Chrono Cross.
    3-Parasite Eve.
    2-Dragon Warrior VII.
    1-Final Fantasy IX.
    Gimmie a game, I'll either love it, or pimp-smack it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yea, I used to dig FF1 as recently as ~1994-ish, but I guess the span of time between when I played it last and now has just been too great. It's hard to put my finger on specifically what I dislike about it that puts me off, but I guess it's the primitive combat system in comparison to everything else I've played since then. I have a similar problem going back to the Dragon Warrior games (though the interface in those is leaps and bounds worse than FF's... and I used to adore old school CRPGs)

I guess that you and I differ on this. I love the old FF games, and I played the hell out of FFI and II on the Wonderswan Color. I think that FFII is especially good -- I love the atomsphere, characters, music, and the unique battle system that spawned the SaGa games. I like the old Dragon Quest games too, but I agree that the menu system is awkward to use. I keep on trying to talk to the stairs, forgetting that I have to use the climb option.

┏┫∵┣┛My Collection┏┫∵┣┛

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Shin Megami Tensie
    Use the regular RPG board game style of gaming but in a Futuristic or Post apocolypic era. The game is popular among Japanese for years and could be conisidered the eqaul to Phantasy Star for the SNES.

The game itself has many diffrent variations, prodogies, and remakes. The original was on the NES and over the years the game play has not changed for the most.

While using the original FPview prospective for a realisitc view like Phantasy Star use. Shin Mega Ten use a representive map to show where you are going most of the time.

The Saturn has Soul Hackers and the PSX has Dark Messiah. Both series is just another variation of the original games.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Eternal Tune
    PSN
    EternalTune

Quote Originally Posted by RugalSizzler View Post
    Phantasy Star for the SNES.
    ??????????

Wha?
    RIP Kamino. 1984-2010. Yes, yes I do like nes...

<+skaar> Maybe you should ask yourself "What is it about me that makes men not want to let me penetrate them?"

Great Puma (Level 12) Chainsaw_Charlie's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1.Suikoden 1
    2.Alundra
    3.Legend of Dragoon
    4.Parasite eve 2
    5.Dragon Warrior 7

Honorable Mention
    Koudelka
    Saiyuki Journey West
    Final Fantasy 9
    Wild arms 2
    My rotating want list http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=101550

Your television doesn't care how angry you are with it. Turn it off and find something better to do with your time.-Beserker

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by RugalSizzler View Post
    ...and the PSX has Dark Messiah.
    And the Persona spin-offs.

Tune: I think he ment that Shin Megami Tensei is the SNES equivilent of Phantasy Star.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

5 Parasite Eve 1
    4 Xenogears
    3 Chrono Cross
    2 Final Fantasy 9 (yes I like this better than 7)
    1 uh..... ran out..... I'm not a big RPG fan

Insert Coin (Level 0) starfox316's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I got powned... = (

top 5 favorite rpg character's!!!:
    1. Sephiroth- he's a goth hottie. He's just really dark, just like me. His parent's probably hated him and I have that same problem, we just connected on so many levels. i wish he was real...
    2. Cloud- DUUUUHHHH!!!!!!!! He's ONLY just the main character to one of the best video games for any system ever!!!!
    3. Tifa- She has really big boobies and I used to touch myself to her battle graphic.
    4. Barrett- he was soooooooooooooooo funny! I also liked his guns for arms!!!!
    5. Yuffie- I usually dress like her on otacon day!

some stupid fucks nit-pick the shit out of everything for lack of anything positive or relaxing to say. sorry I didn't add to the seemless efficiency of this extremely structured and extremely serious web site. I had better think twice next time I post, I apologize.
    GARY strikes hard.
    THE SKELETONS tak 6 damage.
    Your Party has defeated the THE SKELETONS.
    GARY gaind 58 XP.
    GARY level up.
    GARY learnt BONER THROW.
    The monster leaves HERB.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Here's a somewhat related question:

Are there any even remotely "open ended" type RPGs for the original PlayStation? Games that are closer to Morrowind and Oblivion than Final Fantasy?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Gentlegamer View Post

Are there any even remotely "open ended" type RPGs for the original PlayStation? Games that are closer to Morrowind and Oblivion than Final Fantasy?
    Some of the Japanese games I mentioned are fairly non-linear, like Cielgris Fantasm and First Queen IV. There's an ultimate goal in them (get to Balthia, save your friend, etc) but how you do it is up to you.

SaGa Frontier is very open ended too, and gets a lot of undue hate because it isn't Final Fantasy VII. There are seven characters whose stories overlap, and you can play them in whatever order you want. Many of the individual quests are completely non-linear -- you can go wherever you want and do whatever you want.

┏┫∵┣┛My Collection┏┫∵┣┛

Cherry (Level 1) Chaz From Phantasy Star 2's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    XBox? Yeah right.
    PSN
    PS3? As if.

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    Tales of Destiny II - Good game. :P
    Did you know that was actually called Tales of Eternal III in Japan?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

1. Suikoden
    2. Saga Frontier (my most played PSX RPG by far)
    3. Suikoden II (its better than the first, the original wins because of nostalgia and story, mainly. I love Gremio. I named my castle Gremio Castle, which actually made Gremio happy in the game)
    4. Lunar Silver Star Story Complete
    5. Legend of Legaia

Honorable mention to FF Tactics and FF VII and VIII. Also, I think I would have put Grandia on my top five but I've yet to get around to playing it, yet.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Closest thing were probably the King's Field games as well as Shadow Tower, which I believe was also made by the same team. They're the closest thing you'd find to Morrowind on the PS1. They also all have the distinction of being terrible.

5. Dragon Warrior VII - My favorite game in the entire series. Good long RPG with a ridiculous amount of optional side quests and hidden town & Dungeons to explore.
    4. Brigandine - Excellent strategy/RPG-ish game. Make sure to turn battle animation off though or the game will plod along at a wounded snail's pace
    3. Final Fantasy Tactics - Tactical RPG at it's finest. Skip the GBA one though.
    2. Suikoden II - Very good but plot tends to drag in some places
    1. Suikoden - Short but well paced, still the best in the series
    Last edited by Mark III; 05-30-2007 at 04:43 PM.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Chaz From Phantasy Star 2 View Post
    Did you know that was actually called Tales of Eternal III in Japan?
    Umm... yeah look next time you feel like spamming a thread with one of your little known "facts" you may just want to brush up on the validity of said fact.

http://google.com <--- bookmark this