Thread: Microsoft Surface - the possible savior of the arcade?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Default Microsoft Surface - the possible savior of the arcade?

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/05/31/th...osoft-surface/

Seriously - I see alot of potential with this thing. Especially in the all but dead (in North America, anyway) arcade biz. This thing looks pretty fucking sweet, either way..

EDIT - I mean really, look at that thing and tell me it doesn't look dead up like an old Bally/Midway style cocktail cabinet, but sexier?
    Last edited by diskoboy; 05-31-2007 at 12:10 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

Of course, all the anti-microsoft flamers are going to find "faults" in this idea, but even they can't deny the fact that this will bring MANY new opprotunities to business, productivity, and gaming. This could also bring the old fashion "board game" back in style(no one has mentioned that yet). Gather some friends and beer, pull up some chairs to the table, and load up the Scrabble program.............sweet!
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Can it be configured to play Ms. Pac-Man and Galaga????

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it migth be really good but I will have to see what happens with it, I don't see it doing anything special but not to say it can't but I thought it was only meant for business

Does it have the potential to play games?

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Quote Originally Posted by Clownzilla View Post
    Of course, all the anti-microsoft flamers are going to find "faults" in this idea, but even they can't deny the fact that this will bring MANY new opprotunities to business, productivity, and gaming. This could also bring the old fashion "board game" back in style(no one has mentioned that yet). Gather some friends and beer, pull up some chairs to the table, and load up the Scrabble program.............sweet!

Not to mention graphic and interior design.

I saw a video of this thing running that had like a koi pond running. And when you touched the screen, it rippled like a stream, and all the fish scattered away.
    Last edited by diskoboy; 05-31-2007 at 01:52 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy View Post
    Not to mention graphic and interior design.

I saw a video of this thing running that had like a koi pond running. And when you touched the screen, it rippled like a stream, and all the fish scattered away.
    Are you referring to the one at E3 2005? If so, that was actually done by Nintendo, and was part of a "recreation" of Zelda's Lost Woods or something like that... Either way, here's a link to a short youtube vid of it in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG5AXmxg6Fg

Pretty cool stuff

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Surface looks very promising. Bringing it to market is a hurdle, cost being primary. The first use I thought of was digital music production/creation. I can imagine a keyboard that could be used as a piano in the living room or even a midi controller. Would love to see some emulated software synths like ReBirth on this thing too. Tactile responce to input without a clunky mouse playing middle-man, I am so in.

As far as it relates to gaming, I'd say it looks as if Microsoft has caught Nintendo's innovation bug. That or the surprising success of the DS/Wii has spurred this thing out of R&D, bringing it closer to reality.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 05-31-2007 at 03:16 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I teared up because that so far the one thing that screams 21st Century!

Microsoft...Mr. Gates, please give us hoverboards, flying cars, personal rockets, robots, and trips to Mars. Thanks.

I hope this thing isn't crippled to hell like the Zune is.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

Quote Originally Posted by Icarus Moonsight View Post
    The first use I thought of was digital music production/creation.
    I can't remember what it was called exactly, but I saw a video about 3 months ago utilizing this exact technology with music creation. It was incredible.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Magus View Post
    Are you referring to the one at E3 2005? If so, that was actually done by Nintendo, and was part of a "recreation" of Zelda's Lost Woods or something like that... Either way, here's a link to a short youtube vid of it in action:

Pretty cool stuff

Actually, it was similar to that, but it didn't have a bridge. It looked more like an aquarium, than a river.

It was on NBC news, last night. Bill Gates "stuck his fingers in", and each one of his fingers threw out individual, realistic looking ripples. And when he moved his hand on the top, the water would splash around.

Well, here's all the ideas I've come up with, so far, this thing could possibly do..

-Games, games, and more games (Imagine being with a crowd of friends playing games like C&C3 or Starcraft 2, or being able to put XBLA style games on this thing..)
    -Interior/Graphic Design (for asthetic use and the actual design process, itself)
    -Bar/Pub personal Jukeboxes (like the ones they had in old 50's diners)
    -compact DJ booths for nightclubs.
    -full featured MIDI sequencer, triggers.
    -Shopping kiosks
    Last edited by diskoboy; 05-31-2007 at 04:34 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Magus View Post

Pretty cool stuff
    There was another one at E3 2005 with a Star Wars theme... Tie fighters would zoom around and you could jump on them to blow them up.

Also a month ago or so, I saw something similar at a mall with an ocean theme... didn't look too closely but it had coins and treasure chests floating around, iirc.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) rbudrick's Avatar
    Buying the rare ones, moments before you get there.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Sweet, but who has room for that? It's like a coffee table. If easily convertable to a standard monitor, could be very promising. It's kind of just a big tablet (table-et?) PC right now, though. Innovative use of it, though, yes.

-Rob
    The moral is, don't **** with Uncle Tim when he's been drinking!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Clownzilla View Post
    Of course, all the anti-microsoft flamers are going to find "faults" in this idea, but even they can't deny the fact that this will bring MANY new opprotunities to business, productivity, and gaming.
    I'm no partisan, but Microsoft has a long and storied history of pushing out product ideas as coming software so the industry analysts will tell people to "just wait for the Microsoft version" and starve the competition of sales. I'll let that one drop for the sanity of everybody here, but seriously, bringing up "anti-microsoft flamers" is tantamount to admitting there's truth to the faults people have found over the years with Microsoft. I wouldn't even bring it up.

More germane to the big story for gamers: Convenience. I've already got this thing called a DS, and while the screen is not as good, it's also portable and convenient.

Did we all forget that arcades died because people could get roughly the same (and sometimes better) experience at home (more convenient)?

It's multi-touch, so what? That's a nice improvement over previous touchscreens, but other people have had products. Microsoft's big chance is to leverage great software to use it - no Oberon Games-developed stuff, even if it's got Vista-level graphics, will sell this system. If Microsoft's really itching to fight another battle for software supremacy, well, I say go get 'em. Wouldn't mind shaking up the arcades a bit, but people are going to come back with hate in their veins if Microsoft tries to Halloween companies like Konami and Capcom.

Call me again when the screen is made of paper and the logic board is nearly as thin
    Last edited by Ed Oscuro; 02-28-2008 at 11:51 PM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

thats not eh savior of arcade games, honestly it doesent show any games and i am wondering how its getting the info off of all those things, the cards i understand theyre RFID chips but are the zune and the digital camera capable of the same thing mabe blue tooth but upgraded to be not so slow

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    thats not eh savior of arcade games, honestly it doesent show any games and i am wondering how its getting the info off of all those things, the cards i understand theyre RFID chips but are the zune and the digital camera capable of the same thing mabe blue tooth but upgraded to be not so slow
    Actually, I bumped this topic... It's quite old.

Read my post a few up....... Carbonated Games saw potential in this thing, and made a game where you catch Firefly's, and put 'em in a jar.

Video included with the link.

It's not the greatest game, but it shows there could be a game market for these, given the right ideas...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

'This Table has performed an illegal operation, and will shut down/collapse/implode...'

Can't wait.