Thread: Games I'm trying to find

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Games I'm trying to find

Hey guys, I figured you could help--there are two games I'm trying to track down information about.

The first is a Super Famicom game, whcih I had played via emulation some time ago but I can't remember its name (save that it was long and--obviously--Japanese). The game was, I think, a choose-your-own-adventure kind of ordeal where you read text accompanied by still images, and make choices. I remember the title screen showed a couple of kid (they were all drawn realistically and I think the game attempted photorealistic graphics--as photorealistic as the SFC could get anyway), and then suddenly these demonic sillouhettes appeared over them. Any information whatsoever on this game is appreciated.

The second game I'm trying to track down information (actually, a playable copy of) is a PC game. The title is Last Half of Darkness III. It was an MS-DOS game, possibly released on floppy disks, in around the early 1990s. As far as I know, you could only buy it directly from the publisher. It would probably be an adventure game remniscient of Shadowgate. I've been trying to find this game for years and it is hard as nails to find--its not even on any abandonware sites. However I've read comments by at least one person who appears to have played it, and I've e-mailed the creators who, though they no longer distribute the game, they seemed to believe it was released. If anyone happens to have a copy of this game I'd be willing to buy it for a fair price.

Thanks in advance.

Insert Coin (Level 0) shadow77110's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I found just "Last Half of Darkness" on a "site" but it is in torrent form and I don't know whether its the right one, it was released in 1991 and made by Softlab Laboratories according to the description. It is an abandonware torrent BTW.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a sneaking suspicion that torrent is the first game in the series, but it should be easy to find out.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

BUMP!

I hope I'm allowed to do that to these types of threads, it's just that I think my search for Last Half of Darkness III may be just about over.

I've found out something interesting. A lot of sites claim to have (and a few reviews claim to have played) a 256-color VGA version of LHOD. Now, as far as I know, the first two games in the series were EGA (16 color) and then there were the Windows CD-ROM games, and LHOD3 was supposed to be a 256-color game, so this may very well be the game I'm looking for.

The only problem is, I only ever found ONE site that had the game for download, in an ARJ archive... and that site was down. Every other site I've seen that claimed to have it was either a text file listing the names of zip archives (why the heck are these things even up on the internet?) or some bizarre site where you could order discs of old DOS games, and I'm not really up to taking the chance on such a thing.

So, anyone got any further suggestions?

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A newsgroup file post request maybe? If you've exhausted the leads search engines have given you this might be your best bet to get it.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by James8BitStar View Post
    The only problem is, I only ever found ONE site that had the game for download, in an ARJ archive... and that site was down. Every other site I've seen that claimed to have it was either a text file listing the names of zip archives (why the heck are these things even up on the internet?) or some bizarre site where you could order discs of old DOS games, and I'm not really up to taking the chance on such a thing.
    Sometimes http://www.archive.org stores files as well as websites, though it doesn't happen very often.

And sometimes when you find a text file with a directory listing, all you need to do is change the name of the text file in the URL to the name of the file. (That is, http://www.whatever.com/stuff/files.txt to http://www.whatever.com/stuff/something.zip .)
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

@ Newsgroups

Mostly I only access newsgroups via Google Groups--I know thats not the best way. So, what's a good free reader?

@ Jorpho

I tried archive.org, didn't work. Your second suggestion did though.

So, an update:

I managed to get ahold of this "VGA Version" of Last Half of Darkness. Sadly, its not part III... its just a remake of the original game.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

UPDATE!

I've found one of the games I was looking for: I managed to find a former owner of Last Half of Darkness III who was willing to sell me the game.

I still have absolutely zero clue as to that Super Famicom game though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Found this on a Super Famicom Game that sounds like what you described. Rom on the page also.

http://chrono.lunar-net.com/cc/rd-main.shtml

Video on YouTube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxqtLhJHeeo

Seems this game is related to the Chrono Trigger series. Was available via some type of download service.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry, but Radical Dreamers is NOT the game I was looking for. The game I'm talking about had some long, confusing Japanese name and was horror-themed. I think the first word in the title started with either an H or a G.

Radical Dreamers is a pretty nifty game though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Kamaitachi no Yoru 2
    (Night of Legendary Monsters 2)

Yet another horror title, except this is in the form of a sound novel horror adventure. "Kamaitachi no Yoru 2" is the sequel to the popular SNES/Super Famicom game of the same title. The first game was apparently incredibly creepy involving a mass murderer in a resort hotel where the guests were not able to escape. The gameplay is basically a sound novel, where you read/listen along to the story and make decisions for the main character. What was scary about it besides the story is the fact that the developers, Chun Soft, used featureless silhouettes of people and placed them on photo-realistic backgrounds. The music also played a part in creating an unsettling atmosphere. The sequel continues on the PS2 with a new story. Children are being tricked and sent off to a resort island (perhaps the same one from the first game) and they must find a way out. It's kind of obvious why this game won't get brought over. Though the story may be appealing to horror fans but the lack of action puts a dent into gameplay experience. It's also difficult to translate certain words from the story/text for Western audiences to understand but retain the effect of the game"

Only other one I could find that was close.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

would you mind providing the zip of LHoD? i played the first game and enjoyed it. alas, now i dont have any of them, if you did manage to collect them (256color would be best!) would you mind sharing?