Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok I give in, getting a storage unit. Few doom room pics.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Ok I give in, getting a storage unit. Few doom room pics.

Well I really can't move in my main room anymore. That and my rent of $1700/mo. (going up to $1800 more than likely in two months if I were to stay) needs to come down. So off to storage and a much cheaper/smaller place I go.

What are good containers to get for extended storage? I will be getting a climate controlled unit (10x10 $155/mo.) and hopefully I can find a few pallets beforehand.

It was a lot more manageable before the extra stuff I was storing at my moms house got the boot and I had to bring it home. These pictures don't show the number of full closets here or the garage either. I don't think I've ever posted my doom of room pictures so here they are before everything goes into boxes. Enjoy!

That last one is actually all car magazines.

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

$1700/mo rent? holy crap

I pay $350/mo and thats split between 2 people...of course the downside is i acually have no room for a dedicated room of doom and territorial conflicts break out quite regularly here.

is that includeing all utilities?

as for good containers, i've never had a problem with those big generic plastic containers you pick up at walmart.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nope actually that includes zero utilities. Electric, trash, water, gas, etc are all paid by me for an extra $100 a month or so. Also it's a rather smallish two bedroom townhome. But welcome to Southern California! Man if rent was only $350 I could probaby afford a nice house in the area.

Im hoping to move into a place thats no more than $1200/mo. next time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i don't know how the fuck you guys find shit with your places like that..

Rooms of Doom like yours are exactally how i don't want mine to look. But the amount of things you've collected is impressive none the less.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sometimes I can be a challenge to find something I'll give you that. Used to be a bit better. Once those shelves got full the boxes just started piling up and up. Now its more doom than room! Thus the need for storage.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by zemmix View Post
    Sometimes I can be a challenge to find something I'll give you that. Used to be a bit better. Once those shelves got full the boxes just started piling up and up. Now its more doom than room! Thus the need for storage.
    You may want to ask yourself, if you're going to consider putting stuff into storage where you'll likely forget about it, if the stuff isn't worth selling.

At least that's what I'd be asking myself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It is definately a fair question and something I have been thinking about. Plus a possible move to Japan in the future would force me to sell it all anyway (wifes dad has pancreatic cancer so theres a chance we will need to move there when his health starts to go south).

In the meantime though since I have to move in two months I will need the storage at least for now and then start selling it off piece by piece on ebay if I go that route. Commodore, Odyssey, Intellivisions and the systems I don't care about much anymore would probably be first to go.

Edit: This is post 666 for me and the first time I have ever publicly thought about selling off the collection. Truly a post of doom!
    Last edited by zemmix; 07-09-2007 at 02:41 AM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

A R.O.B. blow heater? Now that is neat.
    Want to sell me your Sorcerers Apprentice?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ZEMMIX I feel your pain that's why i moved out of the OC Too expensive even if you live in the gettos like I lived, well not really (downtown fullerton) Now i live in Goshen, Indiana BIG CHANGE anyways I found some realiable cheap containers at walmart for 4 bucks a piece. for the big move

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have literally based my whole companies inventory storage off of sterlite bins (if you need bins for your storage container). I love them and rarely have problems with them. If you buy them on sale you can get a great deal (target has sales on them a lot).

Also, I noticed that when people get rental storage for their hobbies after awhile they end up getting annoyed (or over it) or something and just sell everything. Just a small trend I've noticed, not to say you'd do that, but if you were to sell some of your stuff you might save some $.

And too bad you're not located near Chicago, I always have wooden pallets I'm giving away.

Isn't rent crazy in Southern California? I was looking at living in Hermosa Beach and I honestly don't know people do it. Although my 1 bedroom apt in Chicago is $1200, but it's all brand new and nice and in a good area. In So Cal it'd be smaller and older.

Nate
    Last edited by nate1749; 07-09-2007 at 11:37 AM.

Strawberry (Level 2) misfits859's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Wow, what a wreck! If space is a big issue for ya, then I see some things I could take off your hands...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yah, I agree with the above. If it's buried in the attic/basement/garage/storage... there isn't any need to keep it. My collection is out for me to enjoy!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

Quote Originally Posted by Alison DeMeyer View Post
    A R.O.B. blow heater? Now that is neat.
    , I noticed that too! Zemmix...................You are a true gamer!
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Nice looking room. Some storage will definatly help make it more managable and easier to move around. I used to have that R.O.B fan as well, but when I was alot younger. Man I wish I never threw it away, that thing was cool.

So you wanna sell that World Of Nintendo poster to me? I will pay decent.
    Somebody make me a "CGE 2k7 Attendee banner" so I don't have to use this lame text

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually the fan is not related to ROB at all though they do share the same square looking heads. The fan is called 'Robo the Fan' and was made by Robescon. I picked it up at a thrift shop for $3-5 a number of years ago. Its a great fan though! It rotates and the eyes will light up if you want them to also. They pop up on ebay every now and then.

The World of Nintndo poster has to be pretty rare as I've never seen or heard of anyone else having one. Its one of the few things that I actually got as a kid and survived in good condition until game collecting became a hobby of mine. It was a mail in the UPC's deal for Kellogg's Cinnamon Mini Buns.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What Trueno model set is that in the first pic? AE86 or AE92? Noticed the Toyota BGB's too... a fellow gamer and Toyota fan!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[QUOTE=XxHennersXx;1210024]i don't know how the fuck you guys find shit with your places like that..
    QUOTE]

It could be the reason that often myself and many others end up buying dupes of certain titles. Down the road you "uncover" something and say "whoa, I own this already. Cool. I wish I knew before, but cool none the less." ; )
    With a humble heart, on bended knee...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

[QUOTE=Mianrtcv;1214079]
    Quote Originally Posted by XxHennersXx View Post
    i don't know how the fuck you guys find shit with your places like that..
    QUOTE]

It could be the reason that often myself and many others end up buying dupes of certain titles. Down the road you "uncover" something and say "whoa, I own this already. Cool. I wish I knew before, but cool none the less." ; )
    if it was more organized you wouldn't run into this problem.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by aaron7 View Post
    What Trueno model set is that in the first pic? AE86 or AE92? Noticed the Toyota BGB's too... a fellow gamer and Toyota fan!
    And MR2 fan to boot! Actually you know me as Deuces Wild on the MR2 forum. To make the connection even better you have some of the parts that came off of my car since I ended up buying the opm 88 SC chassis from Don in San Francisco. She's almost driveable...

Oh and it's an 86 model on the left there with a R31 racing skyline above it. There's an aw11 model in the back of the picture as well.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like all the car stuff. Are those the little Tomica models?

Anyway, I pay $2,000 per month for an 850 sqft 1-bedroom in DC, so I can definitely sympathize with the rent issue.

Luckily, I'm moving into a nice 3,000sf townhouse later this year, although I'll pay about half a million bucks for the pleasure, lol.

Anyway, I'm not sure how one would justify keeping stuff like that in storage when you can't look at it or use it, attached as you might be to it.

Is there anyone TRUSTWORTHY in the DP community with lots of storage space at a spacious residence who could help this guy out? Maybe safeguard some of his stuff for awhile?

I would, but I've got too much already, and my wife would kill me, lol. Otherwise, I'd probably pay YOU like $50/month just to "rent" a bunch of it and play it, lol.