Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new PS3s no EE chip software emu thread

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default new PS3s no EE chip software emu thread

Everyone here knows about this of course but now it is confirmed:

The new 80GB PS3 that we've seen today has a catch: it has ditched the Emotion Engine chips for software emulation, just like we've seen in the PAL-version PS3s. Yes, software emulation is coming stateside, and it looks like a matter of time until the Emotion Engine chips are kicked out of our 60GB models, too.
    from http://kotaku.com/gaming/get-out-and...ion-276401.php

---------------------------------------

Whats your opinion?

Will this mean that fewer PSone and PS2 titles will actually PLAY on the PS3?

Will this turn out to be another 360 "half-assed-BC" type situation?

Do you think this will make the early PS3s that do contain the actual PS2 Emotion Engine chip more sought after by the hardcore/collector type?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I honestly don't think this is that big of a deal. When Sony added the upscaling feature in the previous firmware, that's using the emulator. So, with the emulator, you can get ehancements to your old PS1 and PS2 games. Moreso the PS1 games, but still. It's kinda like Bleemcast. They can do more within emulation. Now, having said that, there are certain games that aren't working with the emulator yet, but I'm sure Sony will continue to work at more broad based compatibility. I really see this whole thing as a non-issue.

If anybody has $550 or $650 to shell out on a gaming system (cost of the system plus tax), then they sure as heck can afford $99 for a PS2. (I'm sure the slimline PS2 will be $99 pretty soon). And that's only if there are certain games that don't work in emulation that you just absolutely have to play. It's less of a big deal than the Xbox 360 scenario, cause the original Xbox 1 takes up a helluva lotta space. I can understand why somebody would only want to use 1 system, when both systems have that large a footprint. But if you have a slimline PS2, those things are so damn tiny, they don't take up much space at all, so you can easily find some room for the real PS2. Again, that's if you are really compelled to absolutely need to play a handful of games that don't work with the emulation yet.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by Nintendo Gamer; 01-25-2016 at 07:58 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by R-21 View Post
    Like I said before, this isn't something big to worry about. The current UK emulation is doing fine. The only people who are making a big deal out of this is because of the 360 incident.
    Thats good since I probably wont be able to get a PS3 until next year.

I still have two PS2s anyway one like new slimline so its all good i guess.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have a pal ps3 and so far the only game Ive tried that wouldnt work was Tekken Tag
    and lemmings has some issues when scaled to widescreen.

Apart from that its all good.
    zomg I have a sig

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

I called it! I can see the future after all.

Anyway, people can rationalize this all they want...it sucks plain and simple. The 360 has proven that emulated backwards compatibility is crap. Sony is going to be equally apathetic as Microsoft is on getting new titles up and running.

For the people on DP that love the look of a million consoles sitting around their TV...great. For the other 99.9% of gamers who think a million consoles (not to mention the wires and cables) look like shit...this sucks. All in all I guess it's not really a big deal, but I'm damn glad I bought a PS3 when I did.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

There's only what, 400 XBox titles out?

And there's over THREE THOUSAND PS1 and PS2 games. I'm making up numbers but that sounds about right. There's no way they'll get perfect emulation on all of those, EVER.

No PS2 hardware = bye bye backwards compatibility.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

do all the casual gamers really need to get their fix of madden 97 on the ps3?

I really doubt it.

frankly people like us will have old hardware to use.

I never quite understood people who made it seem that BC is an important system seller, it's nice to have, but it's not that important.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Can Mortal Kombat Trilogy work on the PS3..I know it frezzes on the PS2

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Anyway, people can rationalize this all they want...it sucks plain and simple. The 360 has proven that emulated backwards compatibility is crap. Sony is going to be equally apathetic as Microsoft is on getting new titles up and running.
    I'm not sure how apathetic they're going to be with regard to getting new titles running, but they seem to have been pretty proactive with regard to getting more PAL games running with each update and with improving other issues in NTSC games. That said, I can't fucking wait for the US/JPN PS3s to switch over to software emulation. PAL PS3 gamers have already noticed improved framerates in games that previously ran poorly on the PS2 (Shadow of the Colossus is the most common benchmark people have been using) and I can't wait until we're able to enjoy those benefits as well.

Also, the lack of software emulation has been what's been holding back the ability to render the graphics at a higher resolution rather than simply upscaling them. Perhaps within the next few revisions of the PS3 firmware, they'll finally start rolling out some of those much-requested upgrades (and if their dev blog is anything to go by, they sure as hell listen to their fans).

You know, it's weird. As adamant as Sony seems to be in making their US/UK PSN stores as worthless as possible, they've been really going out of their way to make their firmwares as useful as possible. There was a translated interview a few weeks ago with one of the developers (I believe about the 1.80 or 1.81 firmwares) and it was seriously cool stuff. I wouldn't discount their commitment to improving backwards compatibility based on Microsoft's disinterest.

As it is, the PS3's software emulation is already far more compatible than the 360's.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by youruglyclone View Post
    do all the casual gamers really need to get their fix of madden 97 on the ps3?
    Nooo not madden 97 but there are a few that might still enjoy putting in games like FF7,8,9 or Castlevania:SON (without paying for an Emulated version again on PSN) or even the classic Resident Evils - OK that might just be me

frankly people like us will have old hardware to use.
    ....and its "ppl like us" that usually are the ones that ENJOY BC and actually WANT to play legacy games on a new console that we spent BUKU $$$ on last gen when compared to the average mainstream madden gamer who doesnt give a shit.

I never quite understood people who made it seem that BC is an important system seller, it's nice to have, but it's not that important.
    read above statement for response.

Also nobody here stated that "BC is an important system seller" since it obviously is NOT for the majority of gamers especially mainstream and yes many "hardcore" gamers still have thier old systems but I for one do not and would very much like to be able to play my over 50 PS2 games on my new damn expensive PS3 when I pick one up and there may be a few other gamers that feel the same way simple as that.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

everyone and their fucking mom's has a PS2. If they can make a more affordable PS3 by removing PS2/X functionality, then bring it the fuck on. Backwards compatibility has become an expected privilege and I'm tired of people bitching and moaning because their 360 wont play Kabuki Warriors or MTV's Celebrity Deathmatch.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sabre2922 View Post
    Everyone here knows about this of course but now it is confirmed:

from http://kotaku.com/gaming/get-out-and...ion-276401.php

---------------------------------------

Whats your opinion?

Will this mean that fewer PSone and PS2 titles will actually PLAY on the PS3?

Will this turn out to be another 360 "half-assed-BC" type situation?

Do you think this will make the early PS3s that do contain the actual PS2 Emotion Engine chip more sought after by the hardcore/collector type?

I'm definitely not a pro when it comes to console hardware but wasn't the Emotion Engine the thing that was supposed to give the the PS3 its uber-fantastic graphics and effects? The way that you're describing it makes it sound as if the Emotion Engine was nothing more than a virtual PS2 on a chip.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by Nintendo Gamer; 01-25-2016 at 07:58 PM.

I can has MOAR DS? Custom rank graphic
    Bay Area, Ca | 2125 miles from Chicagoland
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PapaStu

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    I'm definitely not a pro when it comes to console hardware but wasn't the Emotion Engine the thing that was supposed to give the the PS3 its uber-fantastic graphics and effects? The way that you're describing it makes it sound as if the Emotion Engine was nothing more than a virtual PS2 on a chip.
    The Emotion Engine is the CPU of the PS2. The PS3's have (well for the next month) an Emotion Engine in them and that chip is what does all the processing for the PS and PS2 games that you might be playing in them. After this, all the games will be done via emulation and run by the Cell Processors (the PS3 CPU's) like the PAL units are already doing and how the XBox 360 handles all its backwards compatable games.
    Because it makes no attempt to be great, it is therefore extremely great.
    Some of My Game Collection
    Mah Mac n' Cheese Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Griking View Post
    I'm definitely not a pro when it comes to console hardware but wasn't the Emotion Engine the thing that was supposed to give the the PS3 its uber-fantastic graphics and effects?
    I believe you're thinking of the RSX or some such.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ehh, we already saw some situations where the PS3 was having problems with some PS2/PS1 discs, didn't we? I would think that software might allow them to fix that situation.

I'm also wondering if the software won't give them the ability to run some games better than the original hardware.

I agree that it looks like compatibility is the ultimate loser here, though.

Edit: Also, software will prove cheaper in the long run than continuing to utilize the EE chip. Again, it's becoming hard to justify that extra $100 ($40 if you call MotorStorm a $60 value)...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MarioMania View Post
    Can Mortal Kombat Trilogy work on the PS3..I know it frezzes on the PS2
    I thought for certain that I had tested MK Trilogy and found it didn't have the continue freeze bug when the countdown reached zero. However, I tested it again this morning and it had the same issue as when played on the PS2. In other words, don't let the continue counter run out. Of course, even with that bug, the game is still perfectly playable.

Someone up-thread mentioned Tekken Tag Tournament didn't work. I just tested it this morning, played three matches, and didn't notice a problem. What is the issue with it?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by R-21 View Post
    You must be confused, Emotion Engine was originally created for the PS2. Sorry if that isn't what your looking for because your post is a bit confusing to me.
    I'm sure I am confused. The emotion Engine was the PS2 chip? Geez i'm getting old, it seems like it was just yesterday.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Really, backwards compatibility is only important during the first year or so of the console, where there isn't really a huge lineup of games available excusively for the system. You don't see Nintendo making a big deal of backwards compatibility, for instance, because they want people to think about buying current games. I can assure you it was probably would have been difficult to sell the DS at first if it didn't have GBA support. Now, I bet that the majority of DS owners rarely play GBA games on their DS, just like most Xbox 360 owners likely don't throw in some obscure Xbox game very often. As long as Sony has compatibility with the most popular games, then there isn't going to be much of a problem with doing software emulation. Hardcore PS1 and PS2 owners likely have those systems anyway.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them