Thread: You, Me, & Bomberman

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default You, Me, & Bomberman

I am looking to purchase a bomberman game. Is the Saturn version the best to get? I know it can do 10 players, but I doubt I will be using that feature any time soon. I do, however, like the fact that you can play as BONK. He's one of my favorite characters.

What's your favorite bomberman game and why?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've always liked the two Super Bombermans on SNES. In my opinion, they perfected the earlier model, while later versions just went out of their way to try new things and were rarely successful at maintaining the balanced & polished feel of the SNES titles.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

On a classic console, I'd say the Saturn version is may favorite becuase of the 16 player fragfest..

In more recent years, It'd have to be Bomberman Online on the Dreamcast (when it was still online.. I don't play it much anymore, now that Sega has turned off all online functionality - same goes with Ooga Booga) and Bomberman Live! for XBLA.

Bomberman Live has Zombie Mode which is like crack.

Insert Coin (Level 0) NickmasterX's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Super Bomberman 2 for snes is probably the best, and cheapest. It has this level where you can jump, which is really fun when everyone is hopping around and throwing bombs with the glove. Saturn Bomberman can be pricey, but its worth it. Bomberman live is great if you've got a 360. I never liked the style of the dreamcast bomberman. too 3dish.
    I own nearly all of them except bomberman 5 on SNES, and the turbographics ones.
    Last edited by NickmasterX; 08-23-2007 at 02:19 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2) bust3dstr8's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have Bomberman 93' & 94' for PC-Engine and Super Bomberman 1 & 2 for SNES.

I think Bomberman was at its prime in the 16bit age.
    We wind up playing 94' the most because I have the tap for PC-Engine.
    93' and Super Bomberman are very good games also.
    Avoid Super Bomberman 2, players can't walk through each other in multi
    and it kills it.

They ported 94' to Genesis as Mega Bomberman.
    I never played it so I don't know if they changed it up a bit or how good
    it was. Someone chime in?
    Clowns Suck

Clowns Suck

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK so Super Bomber Man 1 or Saturn Bomber Man it looks like. I don't have a dreamcast or a PC Engine at the moment, although I would definitely buy bomberman for it if I did.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'll vote for Saturn Bomberman as well. It's the only Bomberman that features the giant 10-player map that is incredibly fun, even when playing solo.

If you have a DS, either of the Bomberman games are good. They both feature the dual screen maps, plus Bomberman Land has Wi-Fi.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Saturn Bomberman if you consistently can get 8 or 10 player games going.

If your group is moreso 4, probably the original Super Bomberman on SNES. It just had a really classic, polished feel. Saturn BM's stages were a little disappointing, although the 36-map variation code helps a lot. Still, I miss the charm of the old stages whenever I play Saturn BM.

RVGFANATIC: SNES, Saturn, mad ramblings and more
    RELIVE | REMEMBER | REPLAY

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Bomberman94/Mega-Bomberman>Saturn Bomberman

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My favorite game to blow people up in is probably Super Bomberman 2 on the SNES. Love the quirky music and the levels are so much fun to battle in. The first Super Bomberman is also pretty sweet. Oh and Bomberman Generations is also pretty fun, especially Coin Battle mode, which is hands down, one of the best modes of any Bomberman game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Of Super Bomberman 1 & 2, which has the level with the pipes?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by FantasiaWHT View Post
    Of Super Bomberman 1 & 2, which has the level with the pipes?

The original. 95% sure. That's why I recall preferring 1 to 2. IIRC, 2 had some slowdown issues, and was missing the classic pipe stage. I think it had bushes acting as pipes, or roof tops, but it just wasn't the same.

Although 3, 4 and 5 have their pluses, they were just a tad too strange for my tastes. I could never embrace them like I did 1 and 2 or Saturn BM

Brand new URL!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by RegSNES View Post
    Oh and Bomberman Generations is also pretty fun, especially Coin Battle mode, which is hands down, one of the best modes of any Bomberman game.
    Agreed the same with bomberman jetters as well for the gc.

While the,1p mode isn't all that at least the vs mode is 'more fun and entertaining.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, so I decided to go with Touch! Bomberman Land 2 for DS because of the online play. I am going to keep my eyes out for a Saturn Bomberman or a Super Bomberman game.

BTW, what about Super Bomberman 3 or 4 for Super Famicom?

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, I am having a blast playing Bombermanland Touch DS 2 online, but I am getting smoked.

I really want to track down one of the Super Famicom games for live multiplayer. Upon further inspection, there is actually Super Bomberman 1-5 for the SFC. Someonehere recommended 1 because 2 changed too much. However, I read a review that said Super Bomberman 3 changes things back to the basics and adds 5 player support. 4/5 are not supposed to be very different.

Anyway, anyone an expert on the SFC Bomberman games? It looks like 2 might be the worst of the series, but as these games are pretty pricey used in Japan ($30-50 complete), I really want to get the best version!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Family Computer View Post
    Ok, I am having a blast playing Bombermanland Touch DS 2 online, but I am getting smoked.

I really want to track down one of the Super Famicom games for live multiplayer. Upon further inspection, there is actually Super Bomberman 1-5 for the SFC. Someonehere recommended 1 because 2 changed too much. However, I read a review that said Super Bomberman 3 changes things back to the basics and adds 5 player support. 4/5 are not supposed to be very different.

Anyway, anyone an expert on the SFC Bomberman games? It looks like 2 might be the worst of the series, but as these games are pretty pricey used in Japan ($30-50 complete), I really want to get the best version!

I own 3, 4 and 5 complete in box. Here's what I wrote last year

-----

Super Bomberman 3, 4 and 5 enjoyed releases in Japan where the series continued to prosper long after part 2 was released in America. Starting with number 3, the player limit jumped from 4 to 5. They also added dinosaurs and the infamous "mad bomber" option. I don't remember those features being in either 1 or 2

I would rank the SFC-only SBM games in this order:

1. 4
    2. 5
    3. 3

Here are six of my favorite stages from 3-5... last shot is from 5, clearly the version with the sweetest graphics

These games have new characters (say bye bye to multi-color samey Bombermen) and on the whole 3-5 has a tremendous Japanese feel to them. I guess that was one reason why these manic sequels never touched American soil. It certainly wasn't due to a lack of carrying the high Bomberman tradition that's for sure. Bottom line, Bomberman with 4 friends is like pizza -- there's no such thing as a bad slice or game.

----

SB 3 did hit the European market though. Yes, 3-5 added a 5th player option, which was pretty cool. But again, the games have a tremendous japanese feel with the new characters, and I never embraced the skinny or fat alien bombers. It was just too weird for even me. But that's just me. The games themselves are perfectly fine. If you like BM you'll like them regardless.

They're actually not THAT pricey complete in box. Well, at least they weren't last year when I was hunting them down. I think each one ran me $22 or less... so it's a matter of being patient and lucky. I personally liked part 4 out of 3, 4 and 5 the most. However, honestly, I'd take 1 or 2 over 4 any day of the week. (unless I got a 5th buddy I know who wants to play).

Brand new URL!

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks for the detailed reply Steven.

I am not opposed to "Japanesy" games, so it looks like I will try to find #4. In fact I think the whole Bomberman series is very "Japanese"

Insert Coin (Level 0) DragonBomber's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would agree with the order of the SFC Bomberman games mentioned. It all depends on how many players you want to support and what sorts of features you like on the boards. Each game is a bit different. Not unplayable or anything short of fun. They just are different. The music is a bit more tolerable on Super Bomberman 3 and 5. I had issues after 3+ hours on Super Bomberman 1 and 2 music. It just got to me.

The Cube titles really are wonderful in solo play or battle mode, same with Saturn Bomberman. You could very cheaply get Saturn Bomberman if you got the import Japanese copy instead of the more expensive US one. This is especially true since there was the rereleased Jp Saturn Bomberman hit version, making it doubly as easy to find it cheap on eBay. I still need to buy the first release since I have the rerelease version with mostly white cover. The other two import Saturn titles are not as good for battlemode. I love them both, but I have a screw loose. Bomberman Fight! is not well loved for the power bar and graphics, and playing a chess-like game in Bomberman Wars is not battle mode.

Mega Bomberman is great if you want to play it on a real Genesis. Otherwise I'd go with the VC copy if you have a Wii when Bomberman '94 hits the states. The US only has Bomberman '93 on VC now. Bomberman Live looks edible, but I have yet to get a 360 so I'm lame. I look forward to play the DS Bomberman games when I get my DS. VC wise you could also get NES Lode Runner for a game with Bomberman in it. Without his suit and being chased by Bombermen. A Famicom multicart I just got has a hack where your main character is not the same guy that you see at the end of Bomberman sans suit, but some weird ninja bandit.

I think your choice in Bomberman title is based more on the systems you have, the amount of controllers/taps you have, and the games you come across first at a good price. Good luck on prices and happy bombing. I'd recommend them all to you naturally as I'm so entirely biased. The Strategy Guides for the SFC games, the manga, the anime, and more are worth buying. It's all good.

Drache
    Bomberman is a robot engaged in the production of bombs. Any robot that could escape the underground compound and make it to the surface could become human. Will he ever make it up to the surface? Once there, will he really become human?

Apple (Level 5) Barbarianoutkast85's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My favorite Bomberman's are; Bomberman 2 (NES), Bomberman Online (DC), and Super Bomberman for the SNES. But the Saturn version is still very good.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Get Super Bomberman 5 for the Super Famicom cause it's the only bomberman I know where you can throw a bomb into your own bomb from the sidelines for easy comebacks. I'm not sure if Jetters or any newer Bomberman has that feature, but I know Super Bomberman 4 does not.