Strawberry (Level 2) Pezcore343's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pezcore343

Question Reccomendations for Noob Collector

Hey everyone. I've only recently decided to start collecting video games, although I've always been one to keep my old games and to make sure they stay in good condition. However, being that I'm 19, my "old" games only go back to the genesis. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to some good NES, SNES, or similar old titles to pick up from the Digital Press store and learn me some class gaming. Currently I have Act Raiser and Clay Fighter for the SNES (although sans the console), and SMB1 for the NES (without any cables for the NES. Sooo...other than the obvious fact that I need the systems, what game should I look to pick up?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

-Pezcore

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Welcome Pez, personally I would say start with your type of game that you like to play, fighting, RPG, strategy, racing, ETC. I really don't collect for SNES or NES but with the gaming gurus on here just wait and they will point you in the right direction. Have fun and take care.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Fuzzball123

Personally, just collect for the games you like or if you really want to, collect everything for a system (I collect for N64). What systems do you have? And nice name, do you also collect PEZ?
    i liek gamez

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pezcore343

No, not quite. My favorite band is Less Than Jake, and they are huge Pez fans. One of their albums is named Pezcore.
    More on topic, I guess I should have named the systems I have, which include: Genesis, N64, Game Gear, Game Boy, GBA, DS, Gamecube, Xbox, Xbox 360, Playstation, PSone, PS2, and Dreamcast.
    Last edited by Pezcore343; 08-30-2007 at 12:54 AM.

Level 10 Manly Pink Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

I'm not sure about anyone else. But I just went with what i was fancing at the time. It's caused me some bad game purchases as well as awsome ones. Just do your own research or hope like hell the one you pick up is a winner.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pezcore343

I was thinking about picking up the original Metroid and Star Fox games, both of which I've heard are very good. I've also been hoping someone could reccomend something a bit more obtuse which I may not have thought of.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    swlovinist

Welcome to the forum. You already have some great systems. I hope that you find your answers here. I love helping new collectors, PM me with any questions. Here are some recommendations I have for you.

1. Collect what you can find cheap, even if you dont use it. You can always trade or sell it for what you are looking for

2. Start collecting what you like and have played.

3. Collect local first. Save ebay for the stuff you cannot find locally

4. Remember that pawn stores, fleas, and thrifts have great games sometimes, you just have to look

5. Craigslist is your friend, post a want ad and it will come to you!

6. vgstores.com is your friend.

As for your recommendations, I would go with games that are fun to play first. Collectable games will come with time. Right now just filling up your solid game play list is a must that will ensure that you will be in the hobby for a bit.

I hope this helps, John
    Would you like to know more about collecting video games? Check out my extensive Youtube channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/swlovinist

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pezcore343

Thanks for the tips John. I appreciate it. Maybe I wasn't clear though. I was asking for games that would be enjoyable. As for collector's value, I'll worry about that later. I was wondering about fun games I could pick up now that I would enjoy playing. Sorry about that.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would focus on NES, Genesis, and PSX. These are the most "noob-friendly" classic systems to start collecting for IMO -- games are generally cheaper and more common for these systems compared to just about any other. Also some of the best games for these systems are dirt cheap.

You might also put a lot into last-gen systems (PS2/Cube/Xbox/GBA), which will probably have some of the best deals, and be somewhat available in mainstream retail stores. If you don't already, I would recommend perusing cheapassgamer.com to find some stuff.

I recommend these things because it's very easy to burn through a lot of money very quickly when you're starting out (although it remains pretty easy even long after...). Even if you think you have a good cash supply, you'd be surprised at how fast it can go.

None of this applies if you're like, a millionaire. If that's the case, screw you.

Now, as to your specific question as to what games to look for. I think that's too broad for one thread. I recommend you do a search on these forums for recommendation threads (usually system-specific); you should find a lot of good stuff on those. There's also a bunch of Top X threads in the classic discussions forum.
    Last edited by j_factor; 08-30-2007 at 02:13 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Shmup Hooligan Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Check out the "Classic Discussions" sub. There are Top and Bottom lists for most consoles there. There is even some more specific threads like best of genre lists, best games to import for system X throughout the DP forums. You could drop in on vBender IRC and chat up the residents there about their favorite games. Options abound man, just got to grab a spade and dig.

EDIT: seems that I pretty much echoed the previous post... oh well. That's what happens when you read the OP and hit reply.
    Last edited by Icarus Moonsight; 08-30-2007 at 02:23 AM.

This signature is dedicated to all those
    cyberpunks who fight against injustice
    and corruption every day of their lives

Insert Coin (Level 0) Little Samson's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think that this is a really good page for people who want to get started collecting for the NES: http://www.nesplayer.com/collectors/index.htm

Near the top of the page, they recommend some "must-haves" which will be a lot of fun for almost anyone:
    • Super Mario Bros. 1-3 (Platforming)
    • Castlevania 1, 3 (Platforming)
    • Bionic Commando (Action)
    • Mega Man 2 (Action)
    • Contra (Action-Shooting)
    • Startropics (Action-RPG)
    • Legend of Zelda (Adventure)
    • Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (Sports)
    After that, they recommend some games which are more uncommon, but still a lot of fun to play:
    • Little Samson (Platforming)
    • Dragon Warrior 3, 4 (RPG)
    • Gargoyle's Quest 2 (Action-RPG)
    • Princess Tomato (RPG)
    • Bubble Bobble 2 (Arcade)
    • Micro Machines (Sports, and a great start to unlicensed cart purchases)
    • Fire 'N Ice (Puzzle)
    • Rockin' Kats (Platforming)
    The rest of the page has a lot of good info too. Have fun!
    Last edited by Little Samson; 08-30-2007 at 02:39 AM.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

To round out the excellent list above (the common one) I'd add Tetris, Gradius, and Metroid. I always liked R.C. Pro Am as well.

I think you'll find that you don't often get to pick and choose the order you grab things in, so I'll echo what others have said: Buy anything cheap. Hard to know what cheap is sometimes, but for NES I'll pick up just about any lot that is less than $2 a game (larger ones will often be under a buck each), so long as they aren't all SMB/DH or Top Gun.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    PentiumMMX

I started collection back in 2002 (Started with my N64), and have focused on only building a collection of games I like.

Anyway, here's some Super NES games I recommend:
    - Donkey Kong Country series (Platform)
    - StarFox (Rail-based shooter)
    - Super Mario World (Platform)
    - Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (Platform)
    - Super Mario Kart (Kart-based Racing)
    - Super Metroid (Side-scrolling Action\Adventure)
    - Tetris Attack (Puzzle)
    - The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past (Overhead Action\Adventure)

There are a lot of good RPGs for the Super NES, but they are almost always in high demand.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Focus on the VIC-20, it's the new hotness.

-GAC-
    #vbender

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

don't pay $3000+ for Stadium Events despite what anyone else here tells you

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Family Computer View Post
    don't pay $3000+ for Stadium Events despite what anyone else here tells you

What the hell? If he wants it then let him get it, although I doubt this since it would appear Pezcore343 is more interested in gaming and collecting those that are enjoyable.

Here's a little bit of advice:
    Take the games you love and search around online for sequals and knock-offs. Once you have a selection of games I suggest searching for reviews and emulation so you can get a first hand view of what it's like and a perspective on how others felt it worked out on the console controls. Now you'll have a list of games you really want to keep an eye out for and will be must-buys, for a good while though you should pick up cheap random games locally to have a better feel of your tastes.

It'll take several months before you have a true understanding of your local game market situation and a few years to have a good diverse selection in your library. Last resort, bulk buy on eBay but be sure to not over-bid on them.
    [Website] [Gallary] [Games List] [DP Feedback]

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was just kidding about the Stadium Events, guess you had to be there ;p

Anyway, I would highly recommend this site for really good but slightly "underground" or "cult" favorites. What I love about it is that it compares a large variety of related games and is quite detailed if you want to find out about a specific niche genre or series.

http://hg101.classicgaming.gamespy.com/

I am lusting for a Super Famicom Sumo game after reading that site!

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Pezcore343 View Post
    Hey everyone. I've only recently decided to start collecting video games, although I've always been one to keep my old games and to make sure they stay in good condition. However, being that I'm 19, my "old" games only go back to the genesis. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to some good NES, SNES, or similar old titles to pick up from the Digital Press store and learn me some class gaming. Currently I have Act Raiser and Clay Fighter for the SNES (although sans the console), and SMB1 for the NES (without any cables for the NES. Sooo...other than the obvious fact that I need the systems, what game should I look to pick up?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

-Pezcore
    It may seem like a silly answer but ask some of your friends, relatives or co-workers if they have any old video games they want to get rid of. That seems to work for some people here.

That and you might consider budgeting a certain amount each week or month to spend on games initially, so you don't overspend

Apple (Level 5) Barbarianoutkast85's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just pick up titles you like, but since your asking for a list of good games. I'll make a short list of games I love for the Genesis, since its my specialty. (I am only 40-something titles away from owning all 708 U.S. released Genesis games.)

Boogerman, Bubsy, Bubsy 2, Toejam and Earl: Panic on Funkatron, Zombies ate my Neighors, Rocket Knight Adventures, Sonic the Hedgehog 1/2/3/Knuckles, Splatterhouse 2/3, Aladdin, Quackshot, The Lion King, Batman Returns, Gunstar Heroes, Contra Hardcorps, Castlevania Bloodlines, Steel Empire, Socket, The Lost Vikings, Comix Zone, The Jungle Book, Dinosaurs for Hire, General Chaos, Shove it, Joe and Mac, Columns, Sonic 3D Blast, Vectorman 1/2, Ms Pacman, Adventures of Batman and Robin.

Some of my favorite titles for the NES are:
    A Boy and his Blob, Shadowgate, Deja Vu, Uninvited, Super Mario Brothers 1/2/3, Tetris, Dr. Mario, Duck Hunt, Yo Noid, Lunar Pool, Princess Tomato in the Salad Kingdom, Monsters in my Pocket, The Legend of Zelda, Rad Racer, Metroid, Golf, Dig Dug 2, Yoshi's Cookie, Contra, Super C. Alright thats all the advice I got.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pezcore343

Thanks for the advice and links everybody, i appreciate it. I think the first game I absolutely must get is McDonald's Treasure Land Adventure, which I loved as a kid and just found out is a bit of a collector's piece. =)
    I'll keep in mind the "buy cheap" tip and hope I get some of those hidden gems. I'l also have to ask around for other people's trash. That may prove to be lucrative...

Thanks again! Today I picked up my first ever copy of Star Fox 64 from the DP store and enjoyed it quite a bit, so here's to DP.