Thread: Saga of a Sega system -- please post comments, etc.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Default Saga of a Sega system -- please post comments, etc.

Okay, I've recently had some problems in trying to pick up a new classic video game system for my collection and I REALLY would love to get some comments, feedback, advise, etc.

The whole situation started about two weeks ago. I've always been a game player but mostly have stuck to Nintendo and Sony systems. About a year ago I decided to start picking up some older systems I had missed back in the day and the best games for said systems. First I got a 3DO and then I got a TurboDuo. I decided, now, to pick up a Sega Genesis/32X/CD system as the next part of my collection. (and please note I bought all of these to play GAMES on, not just sit around and look pretty. )

I mointored EBay for several days, trying to find a good deal on a bundle. I wanted to get all three parts from the same person, to hopefully reduce any possible problems and make sure everything worked. I also wanted to get Model 2 for both the Gen and the CD. Finally, I did'nt want any games -- I intended to pick and choose the best ones myself.

After several days, a good deal on a bundle came up in this auction:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...015724911&rd=1

I e-mailed the seller and asked her if the system worked (as that was'nt stated in the description), what came with it, and if she might consider reducing the price a little. (Originaly it was for $70) The responses I got were very quick and polite, telling me that yes, everything DID work, the system only came with the power supply for the CD base, and agreeing to knock $10 off the price if I used a BIN.

Before I commited to buying the system, I read several FAQ's about the CD base and what to expect. Since I had never owned a Sega system, I wanted to make sure I knew what I was getting into.

I admit, though, that I made several mistakes. First, I probaly should'nt have bought the system from the person as I did not notice the AS IS part at first and then wondered how the seller could confirm the system worked if she never said it was tested. Second, I did not know that the connection cable for the 32X to the Genesis was so rare and hard to find in the wild, and assumed it was included with the system. Of course assumptions are dangerous. Third, I probaly should have had on hand all of the needed parts and what not so I could do full testing on the system when it came right away.

Anyway, I bought the system and then started to buy on EBay everything else I would need -- some CD and 32X games, a RF switch, a AV cable, a couple controllers. I also went down to my local GameStop and bought a couple used power supplies as well as the Genesis game Kings Bounty.

A few days later, the system came in the mail. Wonderfull shipping and packing -- no complaints there. I had to wait a couple days after getting the system to get the needed parts to be able to test the system. On the same day the needed parts came -- a controller, a RF switch, and a Sega CD game, Slipheed. I hooked up everything, everything started up just fine, I started to play -- and then WHAM, lockup. Repeated attempts to reconnect the Genesis to the CD base to get the base to work again failed. I then disconnected the Genesis from the CD Base and tried Kings Bounty. Could'nt get THAT to work either.

At this point I had allready realized the 32X was useless without the needed cable, and now I had two out of three parts of the system that was'nt working. Or possibly three. I could'nt confirm the problem was the Genesis OR the CD Base. I e-mailed the seller and explained the situation to her. I wanted to get some of my money refunded to make up for having to buy another Genesis and 32X. Well, the e-mails did'nt get anywhere. It ended up with us leaving Netrual feedback on each other at EBay and her ignoring any more of my mails. I did send a apology about the 32X cable (not realzing it was'nt included) and said that I needed to do further testing on everything. After that I put in bids and won another 32X and Genesis system on EBay.

Fast forward about a week. Most of my other stuff from EBay has come, and today the new Genesis came. The Genesis also included a official Sega RF switch and a game (NFL 98). I promtly started doing testing on everything again, trying all of the possible hookups and both games to see what worked and what did'nt.

I found that the official Sega RF Switch gave better reception game play, for some reason. I also found that my ORIGINAL Sega Genesis (the one that came with the CD base) seemed to have some problems. It played both games stand alone, but it would not play Kings Bounty when hooked up to the CD Base. It also still refused to 'turn on' the CD base when connected. The new Genesis did not have either of these problems -- the CD base started right up when the new Genesis was hooked up to it, and several minutes of just shutting the Genesis on and off resulted in the CD base started up each and every time.

However, I still had problems with Slipheed -- more lockups with the game. At this point I wondered if the CD base was bad as well. Slipheed did'nt have any damage to the CD on it and Slipheed and the CD 2 were made in the same year (1993) so it did'nt seem to be included on the list of CD Games with lockups.

At this point I was quite upset and annoyed that I would have to buy a new CD Base as well. I would have e-mailed the seller to tell her I was filing a complaint with PayPal, but since my other e-mails had been ignored I saw no point in doing so. So I filed the complaint with PayPal. Would'nt you know -- almost right away I got a angry e-mail from the seller. I wrote her back explaing my reason for doing so.

Venting with a friend at this point about the whole mess, he suggsted to me something I honeslty had'nt thought off -- could the problem be the CD itself? I never had any problems with lockups on any of my other CD systems (with the exception of some PSX games on a PS2, but that was due to compatibility, not a bad CD) but my friend told me about some problems he had with his Sega Saturn and suggested I try other games. I did'nt have any other CD games yet to test with the game, but I DO have a Game Doctor. Even though the Slipheed CD looked fine, I went ahead and used the Game Doctor on it, and tried the game in the system again.

Would'nt you know? This time the game seemed to play fine without locking up. I ran it for 30 minutes on demo and then played it for another 30 minutes. No lockups. Checking my mail, I saw some other CD games had come, like Cobra Command, so I tried those games as well and they played just great.

I realized that my complaint was now unfounded. I'm STILL not really sure on what was working and what was not, but it does seem the original Genesis had some problems but the CD base is fine. This was the first complaint I had ever made with PayPal and it was not something I did lightly. So I went ahead and canceled the complaint, and sent one last e-mail to the seller, telling her I had canceled the complaint and also telling her of this note.

Finally, as I was working this note, the seller wrote back (I don't believe that has had received my canceled complaint) accusing me of ripping off other sellers I buy from and insulting me. The last thing I need is someone spreading false rumors about my feedback on EBay. It speaks for itself (my username is soulblazer99). Hopefully we both can consider this matter closed and go our seperate ways.

The main questions I have was -- how can I prove that the CD base really IS working and that I don't need to buy another one? Also, how would you have handled all of this? The testing I've done seem to indicate it's fine with the new Genesis I got, but I'd really like to be sure. I also know that I made mistakes in handling this whole matter, but I also feel misled by the original seller and annoyed I had to buy ANOTHER Genesis and 32X to go with the ones I allready had. And why the lockups with Slipheed when it's not listed on any 'lockup' lists that I could find?

After all this hassle, I ended up spending an extra $60 on top of the $100 I bought just to get the system working (not even counting games) and am stuck with a Genesis and 32X that I'm going to try to sell on EBay (with honest listings on their condition). I just wonder how much of this is my fault and how much is the original seller's fault. Please be honest -- I would'nt be posting all this to strangers if I did'nt want them.

Cherry (Level 1) Eternal Champion's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is a perfect example of how things can go wrong on Ebay--I believe the seller SHOULD have been more honest about the items, meaning that she DID NOT know if it all worked, and SHOULD have contacted you when you emailed her about the problems. To me, your complaint was a last resort, and sending you rude and negative emails is no way to conduct business. Seeing as you even TOOK IT BACK. I mean, we're not talking about a five dollar game or something. To me, the seller has poor conflict management skills!

By the way, if you have an analog RGB monitor, you can get RGB cables for the Genny II from Redmond Cable:
    http://www.connectworld.net/rcc/pages/game.html
    In fact, they do custom cables, so they could probably do your 32X cable, although it'll probably cost you...I would also check www.sega-parts.com

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I am the dreaded seller in this saga. Here is my side of the story:

This buyer wanted to purchase some Sega parts (not system) that I had listed. He asked me what came included in the auction, and I told him the genesis, the CD base, the 32X and the base power supply. This system does work great (my son has the same system, so I was able to use his cables to test it). He had also asked if I would take 10$ off my $69.99 buy it now and I agreed. I shipped his items promptly and thought that was the end of it.

He emailed me a few days after receiving it explaining that he was upset that the other cables were not included, and that it would be very hard for him to find the 32x cable. He said he was not happy, and wished me to take ANOTHER $10.00 off. I politely emailed him and explained that he knew these cables were not included, and that I had already given him a break on the price. He then left ne neutral feedback, stating the "system" was missing critical parts. Why leave that feedback, when he knew BEFORE he purchased it that it did not include these parts?

He thought it over for a few days, and then emailed me to apologize for the neutral, and that he wished he could take it back. He said he should have done more research before purchasing my parts.

I thought the saga over, and then I get an email from paypal stating the buyer has filed a complaint stating the system was not as advertised. I thought to myself, will this never end? The buyer himself sent me this link to show what he was posting. Looking at his post, it looks to me like the system I sold him was fine after he cleaned his games. The other 32x he purchased was $20 and the genesis system was $14.00. MY parts that he has listed "honestly" on ebay is listed "as complete Sega system, with a Genesis Model 2 console and a 32X system. The Genesis works great, and has been tested with several games, and is in great physical condition. The 32X also works great and looks great, but I DO NOT include the 32X-to-Genesis connection cable!".

If my system is as bad as he stated, why is he listing it as in excellent working condition?

Jennifer
    Ebay ID collies22

Cherry (Level 1) Eternal Champion's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Jennifer--
    Hey, it's commendable you came on to give your point of view. Hopefully you two can work it out.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Soul,

I understand your frustration, but if I were the seller in this auction, I'd be enraged. You should only file a complaint with Paypal if the seller straight-up ripped you off (i.e., didn't send the game at all, or sent something totally unlike what you ordered, and refused to make amends for an obvious crime).

In this instance,
    a) There was a picture of the goods in the auction, all those were delivered well, and all were in working order
    b) The seller listed every item that was available, as well as gave you a price break and shipped quickly.

Basically, what you bought was exactly what was listed in the auctions - I don't see any evidence whatsoever of wrongdoing on the part of the seller. Nothing on the level of a neutral feedback, let alone a Paypal complaint.

I understand that you were disappointed that the item wasn't as you anticipated - but the seller cant know your anticipations in advance. They can only know what they have for sale, and what was for sale was described exactly.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Smells like rash feedback on SoulBlazer's part to me.

However, in the future Jennifer, if something is missing, rather than not listing it (as in if it's not listed, it's missing from the list), I would say this unit is missing needed X, Y and Z. I sell hardware on Ebay all the time, and it shows you know what you are doing and what you are selling. I avoid auctions from sellers from people who don't seem to know that they have (I'm not saying that is what you did).

SoulBlazer, in the future, take what is listed in an auction LITERALLY. Example:
    Sega genesis
    2 controllers
    1 game

means exactly that.

Example 2
    Sega genesis
    AC adapter
    RF cable
    2 controllers
    1 game

is exactly that. It's very important, as many sellers prefer to "leave off the list" what isn't there, as opposed to helpfully pointing out that you may need X, Y or Z to actually use the item.

Here is am example of how I sell. I know it's overkill, but it's how I like to operate.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...016018843&rd=1
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...016019475&rd=1
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is exactly why I don't use e-bay.

I'm the kind of person who absolutely HAS to have the product in my hands before I part with any cash. Testing the product before payment is also a preference.

As a result, I have never ever bought anything that hasn't worked - except that copy of Night Rider for NES - it wouldn't load at all, so I took it back and exchanged it for a different game.

I know I'm missing out out a lot of rarities and bargains by not using e-bay, but that's just who I am.

Alex (Level 15)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SoulBlazer07

Well, we've both given our vierwpoints, so I don't see the need to post anything else -- and I wanted harsh comments, so keep them coming. But the listing is a little different then Jennifer claims. I am trying to sell on EBay the extra Genesis/32X that I now have, but I have it listed as:

"I am selling a complete Sega system, with a Genesis Model 2 console and a 32X system. The Genesis seems to have problems playing some games when connected a CD Base, but plays everything fine stand alone. The 32X also works great and looks great, but I DO NOT include the 32X-to-Genesis connection cable! (I tested it with one I bought with another 32X).
    Also included with the system --

1) Generic Sega 6-button Controller with Slow switch (no maker listed on it)

2) Super RF Auto Switch for the Genesis

3) Model 1602 Power Supply for CD Base or Model 1 Genesis

4) JVC Power Supply for Genesis or 32X

5) NFL 98 game for Genesis"

To me, that's a SYSTEM. Complete and playable out of the box. Would'nt you agree?

I was including my total costs including shipping and the needed hookups as well. And I did'nt 'clean' any game -- I used a last ditch repair device (the Game Doctor) on a CD that had NO scratches or any other physical errors. Why it works now is beyond me. I've never seen anything like that, and I'm just crossing my fingers the base does'nt die tommorow.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

You would have been better off buying a laseractive... far cooler and can play both CD and carts.