Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: COLLECTORS ONLY: Do Reprints, Re-releases, etc. Hurt your collecting goals?

1 Hit Point
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default COLLECTORS ONLY: Do Reprints, Re-releases, etc. Hurt your collecting goals?

This thread is meant mainly for collectors. I am just curious about something. With the recent success of the Nintendo Wii Virtual Console and the fact that now even Turbo Grafx-CD games are coming to it, does this hurt your collecting "wish list" or do you still want to own the originals?

Does the fact that compilation discs are readily available for the Playstation2, etc. affect the games you are directly buying and collecting?

Do reprints and re-releases (i.e. Greatest Hits series) affect how you buy games?

I am curious to hear how you guys answer these questions. Feel free to speak whatever is on your mind provided it is subject related. I am talking mainly to KNOWLEDGEABLE COLLECTORS, not gamers. Sorry, but in the end, most gamers just want to play a game and do not care about its condition, long term value, etc. (or they would be collectors)

I look forward to your replies! Thanks again!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't mind the compilations and it's nice to see peeps or personally get the chance to play some games I may not have otherwise. In regards to their price, availability, distribution releases, what have you.

I myself still have to have the originals. Nothing like physically owning the game and playing it on its designed for hardware. It is nice to have the HD updates and achievements , but, at the same time sometimes the controls are super weak.

Reprints and re-releases may affect how I buy games. I will try to avoid buying greatest hits. Look ugly on a shelf. But on the same token, sometimes they have extra features I want. Also, if I know a re-print will be out, I will try and wait and then pick up the original at a cheaper price.

Value is not as much of a concern to me as having things the way they were meant to be. I like my games original, but, my systems "updated" Go figure.

I do also collect some variants, but, greatest hits are really not something I personally consider. They are usually uglier anyhow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

There's a big difference between compilations/DL games and the originals. Good example- as a gamer, I snapped up Paper Mario and Mario Lost Levels on the VC very quickly, but as a collector, I still want the original cartridges (okay, in Lost Levels' case the GBA cart- which is a rarity in itself) on my shelf. Collections are another thing too- god knows how many copies of Sonic 3 I own as a consequence, but the only one I play seems to be on PS2, the mega collection.

I don't suppose I'm THAT serious a collector though, as unlike most, I make no distinction between original release and GH/platinum when buying a game.

Casual Collector Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Shotmastarich
    PSN
    Radiantsvgun

To me, it really depends on the game that is reprinted.
    www.famicomshop.com -best place for famicom stuff. Run by a DP member.
    Radiant's Ongoing Ebay Auctions

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It depends on the game system. I have a friend that collects the greatest hits/platinum hits games as well as the regular edition. He told me, " It adds a new dimension to collecting and they save you money when you buy them brand new." I agree with him partially, but I think that if someone is a die hard collector they will not be happy with a GH/PH over an original release. That is unless they are into variant collecting.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I don't usually mind if a game is reprinted. It may affect the value, but I don't usually sell games. As for GH games, I'm on CAG most of the time and we get some advance notice alot of the time of when they're going GH. I was able to get a non-GH copy of KHII a week before it went GH and price match it to the GH price.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Quote Originally Posted by neogamer View Post
    …Sorry, but in the end, most gamers just want to play a game and do not care about its condition, long term value, etc. (or they would be collectors)
    Sorry but I am a games player and I do care about the condition of my games. Just because I am play my games, that is make me not take care of my games? shit on me some more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Mightymango

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGenesis View Post
    Sorry but I am a games player and I do care about the condition of my games. Just because I am play my games, that is make me not take care of my games? shit on me some more.
    Here we go again with the collector vs gamer debate.

I'm a gamer and a collector, and releases don't effect my buying choices in anyway other then I don't buy GH titles unless they have something exclusive compared to the normal release. Fable :Lost Chapters would be a good example of that. Also I think a large number of "gamers" especially around these parts really care for their games.
    Part of the #Vbender Crew

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Reprints of Ikaruga on Gamecube broke my heart. I think re-releases and such kill the whole purpose of retro-gaming. At leat it still looks better on the retro-system...

As for collecting, it seriously affects value, but I dont always collect for value so I feel indifferent.
    Tritium (aka Mel)
    ------

"Ai Oboete Imasu Ka?" Flashback2012's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Reprints
    Depends on the reprint. If we're talking about the ones companies like Atlus and Gamequest Direct have put out then no, I have no issue with these reprints. If we're talking about the Majesco releases of the Genesis and Super NES stuff then yes as the packaging and carts for those were clearly inferior to the original releases.

Re-Releases
    I don't have a problem with these because when a game gets added to the Greatest Hits/Platinum Hits/Player's Choice line it invariably means a price drop for the game. With a little effort you can find a nice used copy that doesn't have the GH/PH/PC markings on the game.

Compilations
    More often than not I'm a sucker for these things. I'll snap them up even though I'll have most of the games on them already. Even if they have a game on them I want the original for but don't have yet, it doesn't deter me from wanting the original any less.

Virtual Console/Xbox Live Arcade
    I imagine whenever I do take the Nestea plunge and get a Wii, I'll no doubt be buying up almost every TG16 game on there even though I have almost all of them already. Like compilations, even if they put a game on there that I don't have (like they soon will with Super Air Zonk), I'll still want the original regardless.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

Reprints & re-releases doesn't affect me at all. It gives people a chance to experience classic game rather be forgotten. It gives collector like me chances to own the game rather than paying for overpriced game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One quick addition. Compilations are also cool because they usually have extras, interviews, cheats and what not.

Also, a plus for downloading the games is that for me it is a bit more convenient to play on systems that are downstairs and hooked up. Sometimes hooking up ten million cords is a pain in the ass.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I collect all variants and re-releases, except 5 language releases in PAL.

Another thing to note is that there are often bugfixes in re-releases as well. A lot of Castlevania: Symphony of the Night's glitching bugs were removed in the re-releases.
    Last edited by Arasoi; 09-29-2007 at 01:07 PM.

1 Hit Point
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGenesis View Post
    Do you take everything personally? My gosh already...

Anyway for everyone else, thanks for all your posts. I am not trying to start a collector vs. gamer debate, I am just wondering how these items affect what you collect, etc. That's it. There is no hidden agenda here...okay?

I only buy new, but believe it or not, I don't mind the Greatest Hits games or even the Platinum Hits versions. Knowing how "anal" I am about my collecting habits, I am sure that surprises a lot of people. That is just my opinion and I do see where other people are coming from when they say that they only want the original versions.
    Last edited by neogamer; 09-29-2007 at 01:13 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well. As for me i guess i'm a "pure" collector. I get only first prints and black labels. First original releases. I hate greatest hits and player's choice and "BEST SELLER" stuff. I do not even know why. well... i guess this is made for money, not for "to make the good games available". Companies try to pack more good old games in a new shiny boxes just to make more money on old stuff IMHO. Good games should be played in original way, they are "the start of it all". Imho rereleases and cheap remakes loose original "flavour" for me.
    OWNER: http://www.sealedvideogames.net
    My Rpg Collection
    Always looking for FACTORY SEALED snes and sega and psx RPG's.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never buy any type of Greatest Hits or reprint.

I don't like compilations much either unless they are the best version released for a console. Arcade games that never came out with perfect translations years ago, but are included as part of a compilation are often the exception. I also like all the fighting game comps for PS2 because it lets me use a PS2 arcade stick, and most of the ports are virtually arcade identical.

I usually like to own the game on the original system for which it came out. I am your classic purist when it comes to gaming and collecting. I need mint/complete Japanese Originals for any Japanese game and mint/complete US originals for Western games.
    Last edited by Family Computer; 09-29-2007 at 04:05 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

I try to avoid Greatest Hits, Player's choice, & Platinum Edition game, but some game only release on Greatest Hits like:

- Virtual Fighter 4 EVO (PS2)
    - Silent Hill 2 Director Cut (PS2)
    - Devil May Cry 3 SE (PS2) - although the trilogy pack have SE in black label
    - DBZ Budokai 3 (PS2) - added new Japanese voice & costume

In some cases Greatest Hits, Player's choice, & Platinum Edition are limited release. Games like Super Smash Bros Melee & Mario Kart Double Dash were released as Player's Choice once. I've seen it selling in EB store. After that I don't see it anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I don't reeally care..I'm both, I have like Differnt version's of Mario & Sonic...I would at lease have the Manual to the game..if I fine the game I have(R-Type cart only) CIB for a good price I will get it..Just keep the extra game in the box

Apple (Level 5) Barbarianoutkast85's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I dont own a WII yet, and dont have broadband either. So even if I had a WII I would'nt be able to use the VC. Anywho eventually I'll be able to use the VC, and if anything it makes me want MORE games, becuase If I download a game I havent played and like it, then I'll want to buy it. Plus it's also nice for games I dont own yet, so in short the virtual console doesnt make me want to own an original copy any less.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I'm starting to warm up to the idea of reprints, although having stores like GameStop tear open the cases with a knife to satisfy some halfassed institutional policy isn't so good.

It'd be nice if they put a reprint notice or something on reprints of games that are more than ten years old. Other than that, though, bring 'em on. I wouldn't buy one at retail price, but I like the idea of having the price of a game (that more people should be able to play without needing to pirate) fall into the range where more people can get it.

Besides, I've played a few PC games that were re-released on the Sold Out Software label (notably the Deus Ex / Thief II pack).