Get the PS2 version nz.

Will be happier with the controller on ps2 over the duke / s controller

Personal experience here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by JamesKel View Post
    What is the latest game of Maga Man. Can anybody please tell me?? And where I get this?
    Mega Man 9 and 10. They're available on many platforms.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

and by that he means Wii, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. I dunno about 360, but both games are available as a bundle on PSN. Might be worth it to get them for PS3.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Strawberry (Level 2) Manhattan Sports Club's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

OK, here's my story with this.

The first one I got was the GC version, which, while having a full-screen resolution, had swapped controls that bothered me. Then I got the PS2 version, which is better for the controls and ability to use the arranged or regular mode, but will look like crap depending on the TV you have because of the border around it. All of them, especially these two, have some sort of issues with sound effects or volume, and some games I've heard have parts cut out like the mode7 effects in MM7 because the programmers were too behind the times and stupid to know that it had already been done. I don't like the XBOX controller, so I didn't get that version, but it is in many ways better. And for the most part, I am a bigger fan of the MMX series and largely preferred the MMX Collection which technically, is near perfect. Much preferable to the laughable PS1 and Saturn MMX games, which had borders and hideous load times.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

That's because, as I've mentioned repeatedly, Megaman Anniversary Collection was not handled by Capcom, but farmed out to Atomic Planet who systematically sabotaged the excellent Rockman Complete Works and did everything they could think of to make the content inferior.

Progressive scan was removed. The music was SAMPLED AT THE WRONG VOLUME CAUSING DISTORTION, many many features were removed, The GameCube version has backwards controls, the Xbox version is a glitchy mess, and the PS2 version forces the use of an analog capable controller for NO REASON. Also, the emulation of Megaman 7 is awful in all three versions, and it was the inferior PS1 version of Megaman 8 that they chose to use. the CPS1 and CPS2 emulators Atomic Planet wrote are only good things about Megaman AC.

If you have a PS3, PSP or Vita, I would highly recommend you create a Japanese PSN account, import yourself a Japanese PSN Points card and then purchase the actual Rockman Complete Works set that was released for PS1 in Japan only. They are what Megaman Anniversary Collection isn't - quality versions that run in progressive scan, are faithful to the original versions, add useful features that are all optional, and most importantly, run without technical performance issues.

I discuss this in depth in my Megaman Legacy Collection review.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eAelRWDWAdw

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Can't say I agree a lot with your review of the package. Going off on tangents ripping on it for what was done on the Playstation before I find fairly unjustified. The game needs to be reviewed on its merits, not what may or may not have been done in the past by another company yet it happens twice in this (AC and Complete Works.) It's always set me off seeing that and I refused to ever do it when I was reviewing games in the media for a few years. A game must be evaluated on its successes and failures. In the case of this package, it's a choice as far as sprite flicker goes seeing as that is authentic, but totally fair game to dump on it over the audio problems. It would be fair to question why they stopped at 6 given the hardware needed to run the others isn't that bad but should be at best a note, not a pro/con. Obviously the cool extras with the challenges, the music jukebox, the old sketches, database, and the emulation fluff options are all pluses. This is NOT a lazy collection, and that tangent going off on a Japanese release that PSN happened to get isn't right, and the fact you'd have to go through hoops (as you put it) to get them all making yet another PSN account for the Japanese market and import points cards as well. Few if any sane people would bother with that crap which means only 2/3 of titles could be done via the US store. Dumping on Atomic Planet is fair, IN another review, but this has nothing again to do with the new Legacy Collection. Perhaps it should have been called the Nintendo Legacy Collection, but good luck having Sony/MS/PC being cool with that free bit of advertising so you have to go with what you can.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I fundamentally don't agree that Legacy Collection should be reviewed on it's own merits. It's a Megaman collection and thus should be compared to past Megaman Collections. True the Rockman Complete Works set were originally sold individually, but they were eventually bundled together as a collection and so they're fair game for comparison along with Megaman Anniversary Collection and the barebones Virtual Consoles releases.

I would agree you can't compare collections of games where the games are different (it's not really fair to compare for example, Megaman X Collection with Legacy Collection as the content is completely different) but when it comes to the same games? I sure as hell will directly compare how Megaman 2 runs on Rockman Complete Works vs Legacy Collection. That's entirely legitimately comparable.

You know the jukebox, enemy database, sketches and emulation options you mentioned in your post there? All stuff either directly pulled from Rockman Complete Works or a half-assed copy of it. The RP2C02 color values used in Legacy Collection are wrong; they're severely oversaturated and don't compare favorably to either the original hardware or even FCEUX, the golden standard for NES emulation. The color values Legacy Collection uses are those from Nintendulator circa 1998. Leaving sprite flickering and slowdown intact is another issue I have. This is stuff the Rockman Compelte Works made a point to fix and then gave players the option to turn off the fix and run the games with the "authentic" experience. Megaman 9 and 10 both offered this option as well. So yes, having no option at all is indeed pure laziness.

The only thing Legacy Collection does that Rockman Complete Works didn't is the Challenge Mode which I indeed did praise in my review. But even that's not completely originally since the original Rockman Complete Works featured Boss Rushes and Mission Modes, which are essentially exactly the same as the Challenge Mode.

Legacy Collection isn't a bad collection, but it is a lazy one especially when compared with the Rockman Complete Works which have been available for the past sixteen years.

I feel it's almost as lazy as the Super Mario All-Stars re-release on Wii.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

atleast you don't have that weird input lag on the mega man collection like you do with all stars on the wii

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Super Mario All-Stars is still such a fine remastering, that I'm tempted to give it a pass despite just being an emulated rerelease. But it's particularly frustrating in hindsight when you compare it with Kirby's Dream Collection. That's the sort of thing Nintendo should've done for Mario's anniversary along with similar collections for Metroid and Zelda.

One thing that's important to me in this debate is the upcoming retail release of this collection.

The price of the original Japanese discs for Rockman Complete Works means that it's essentially a digital exclusive. And while you do get cross-platform support with these PSN downloads which certainly is nice (And hopefully, PS4 compatibility soon), it ultimately would be the retail originals that I'd want.

But I just don't see ever shelling out for a complete set of PS1 discs...

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    Can't say I agree a lot with your review of the package. Going off on tangents ripping on it for what was done on the Playstation before I find fairly unjustified. The game needs to be reviewed on its merits, not what may or may not have been done in the past by another company yet it happens twice in this (AC and Complete Works.) It's always set me off seeing that and I refused to ever do it when I was reviewing games in the media for a few years. A game must be evaluated on its successes and failures.
    While I basically agree with you, I think the middle ground approach is best.

Review it as you said, but the review also doesn't need to be oblivious of what's gone before it and how this package improves upon that or is a step backwards. This is stuff that should be mentioned since we're not in a bubble here.

But the score itself for Legacy Collection should be limited to the merits of the title being reviewed. That I agree with entirely.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 09-23-2015 at 06:29 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Leo fair enough. My bigger beef was not reviewing it on its own merits but tearing it apart from a Japanese overseas release and then wasting time pissing on the Collection release from a decade ago, it was all not necessary. A footnote could be easily made so there is no bubble it has been done before, and those in the past may have had more games, but that in itself should not be used to torch the modern release. From what I've seen it's an excellent package outside of the audio bugs. It's also important to me to have a physical release, it's why I do not yet own this. I want that 3DS card in my system. I'm not going to import 6 discs from Japan at $50 or more a piece to basically get the same experience if you stick to a pure NES environment with how the game displays and the audio works. The PS1 games have more fluff, a new hud, and more extras for those into it, yet 2 of them you can't even get without importing PSN JP credits on a card and making a Japanese account to get the games. Too many hoops and many would have no clue about that anyway.

Niku that input lag depended entirely on the TV. I owned that game twice. The first time I had it, I was using it on a modern TV and that input lag was endless suicide. I got furious, sold it and only cared to get rid of it fast and sold it at a price I'd just get even on. Years later I snarked a post a newer NA member made, he thought I was offering to buy the package, and he gave me a nice deal on it so I was like whatever. I tried it on the TV I had then with the second one, and it was no lag at all. That's when I learned about how bad input lag can be on TVs and since then when I got the newest set I have now I made sure it was under 30ms so it wouldn't happen again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    The PS1 games have more fluff, a new hud, and more extras for those into it, yet 2 of them you can't even get without importing PSN JP credits on a card and making a Japanese account to get the games. Too many hoops and many would have no clue about that anyway.
    This hassle is the real killer here for me.

Particularly with a sale, I'd be willing to bite despite my preference for retail. Especially since I imagine these discs, despite the bonuses, are pretty small files of around 100-200 mb's each and I'd be able to download them to several different systems. But I wouldn't be satisfied with just having the first four, yet having to buy the final two from the Japanese store pretty much throws my interest and willingness to compromise from my preference for retail whenever possible, out the door entirely. I just don't want them bad enough to be bothered to that degree.

Even then, I'm sure that I'd still want this retail edition of this collection for the PS4 (And maybe the 3DS edition as well). It's a rare day when I skip over a classic compilation.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 09-24-2015 at 02:55 AM.

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

Psx versions of the Rockingham games aren't horribly expensive if you do them individually

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I read they were like $50, or would that be $50 for some, less for others much like the NES carts?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

That's if you get them physically.

They're $5.99 (1-4 only) on the North American PSN and IIRC, 612yen on the Japanese PSN. (that's how you get the remaining two).

Here's a mini FAQ if you're interested in doing this.

Q: If Rockman Complete Works 1, 2 3 and 4 are on the North American PSN store, why isn't 5 and 6?

A: Because modern Capcom seems to do whatever they can to distance themselves from the Megaman fanbase. Since Inafune left, things haven't been smooth to say the least. Releasing two games in which Inafune was heavily involved kind of validates Inafune's work, so of course Capcom can't have that. Capcom could release the games - and really should - but at this point, I doubt they ever will. The PS3 is still alive, but it doesn't have the install base it used to.

Q: How do I create a Japanese PSN account? I can't read Japanese!

A: There are many video tutorials on how to do this. You can make up a fake Japanese address. The only thing that needs to be valid is an email account and whatever you decide as your password. Keep in mind you cannot use the same email address as any other PSN account. Youtube can help here. I created a second gmail address specifically for this purpose.

Q: I already have a North American or European account. Can I have multiple PSN accounts?

A: With PS3, PS4 and PSP, you can have as many different PSN accounts as you'd like. The matter only becomes messy with the PS Vita, as it assigns an account the memory card and validation to the system itself. There are ways to switch this around with two memory cards and going into the settings to unauthenticate your Vita, but it's kind of a pain to do this. Stick with multiple accounts on PS3 and PS4 for ease.

Q: How do I buy things from the Japanese PSN?

A: If you don't live in Japan, the only way you can purchase anything through the PSN store is with prepaid Japanese Points Cards. They come in denominations starting at 1000 yen (think of it like $10). Keep in mind PSN Points Cards contain codes specific to the currency used in each country. PSN Points cards purchased in the United States will only be valid for the US PSN Store and cannot be used for the Japanese PSN Store. Likewise with Japanese PSN Points.

Q: Where can I buy Japanese PSN Points Cards?

A: You need not look for a seller that will sell and then mail you the actual card; that is a needless waste of money on shipping and time waiting for it to arrive. If you don't have any Japanese friends, there are several online gaming stores that sell PSN Points codes. I would recommend you choose a reputable seller. I personally use Play-Asia.

Q: How many points will I need to buy?

A: Assuming you get Rockman 1-4 Complete Works on the North American PSN, then you'll only need to buy Rockman 5 and 6 from the Japanese store. Since they're 612 yen each, you'll need to spend 1,224 yen. Of course, Points cards only are sold in 1000, 2000, 3000, 5000 and 10,000 yen denominations, so you'll need to purchase a 2000 yen points card. This will leave you a blance of a little under 800 yen, so look around the store to see if there's anything else you'd like! The Japanese PSN has three times the number of PS1 games including excellent import friendly games like Square's lost-to-time shooter, Einhänder.

Q: Do I need to be signed into my Japanese PSN account to play games I downloaded from the Japanese PSN store?

A: No! you can sign into your regular North American/European account and on PS3, simply access any game you have on your harddrive.

Q: Altogether, how much does it cost to get the Rockman Complete Works via PSN?

A: $5.99 x 4 + 2000 yen. So that's 23.96 + typically around $20 USD. $43. But keep in mind that also nets you a bit of extra spending money on the Japanese PSN to go check something else out you might want.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

So basically $45~ with exchange rate for digital and the added J-PSN hoops in your mini FAQ, or wait a few more months and get the same 6 games for $30 on a physical card or disc.

I'd rather pay less and actually own it. Then wait 4-6mo for a Capcom sale on Steam and get it for laziness/ease on my laptop to break even.

Strawberry (Level 2) Manhattan Sports Club's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I am aware of the import PSN versions of Mega Man 1-3, and their merits over the AC ports. I have considered getting them. Since the first three entries in the original MM series are the only ones I really care for, I wouldn't mind not having the the others at all.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

I liked the ps2 anniversary collection myself. I'm bummed that the new one doesn't have mm8. I love that game. Maybe I'll get the Saturn version.