Thread: Variant labels for NES games

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Variant labels for NES games

What NES games can you think of that have more than one label?

I can think of

Athletic World with Family Fun Pad-Burst
    Athletic World with Nintendo Power Pad- Burst

Bases Loaded with orange and Blue top

Blades of Steel plain or with red Konomi Classics banner

Metroid with Silver or Yellow label

if you know of any others please let me know.
    YouTube: MasonSushi---- http://www.youtube.com/user/masonsushi
    NintendoAge: MasonSushi
    Licensed NES- Complete....32X Complete
    N64- Complete....Master System (CIB)- 8 left
    TG-16 Hu - Complete

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Few off the top of my head:
    Wayne's Gretzky's Hockey has several major variations
    Gunsmoke has a major variation

Super Mario Bros / Duck Hunt / Track Meet has several minor variations
    Super Mario Bros 3 has a few minor variations concerning the game logo

There are a several minor label variations that have different style "Seal of Quality" logos.

Check out NGD's game list as it goes pretty in depth with NES label variations.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Or, better yet, just give the NintendoAge database a search .
    World's greatest Internet game store: http://blastedmachines.com

Also on Facebook: http://facebook.com/BlastedMachinesTechShop

Wanted: Any and all Dragon Quest, Lufia/Estpolis, Tales of series, and NIS games, strategy guides, and miscellaneous items. Will pay $$$ or trade well for items I don't already have.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

wow thanks. He has a ton. I have been working on a list that has the variants on it as well as all the release dates for the games. I also seperated the Licensed and unlicenced games, so it would be easier to keep track of a complete licenced collection. Now I feel like my work was in vain.
    YouTube: MasonSushi---- http://www.youtube.com/user/masonsushi
    NintendoAge: MasonSushi
    Licensed NES- Complete....32X Complete
    N64- Complete....Master System (CIB)- 8 left
    TG-16 Hu - Complete

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Didn't know of the NintendoAge database search, very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Mason P. View Post
    wow thanks. He has a ton. I have been working on a list that has the variants on it as well as all the release dates for the games. I also seperated the Licensed and unlicenced games, so it would be easier to keep track of a complete licenced collection. Now I feel like my work was in vain.
    Yeah I think the only thing that is wrong with NGD's list is that he has licensed games and unlicensed games all mixed into one bunch. I'd prefer that they be separated, excluding the Tengen games since those are a bit different.. But that can all be edited by hand if need be.

Working on a variant list is hard work, some times you are looking for the most minor detail that is different and I'd imagine very few people even give a care about the really minor variations.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mason P. View Post
    wow thanks. He has a ton. I have been working on a list that has the variants on it as well as all the release dates for the games. I also separated the Licensed and unlicensed games, so it would be easier to keep track of a complete licensed collection. Now I feel like my work was in vain.
    Actually your attempts are not in vain, as they do not list every variant there is. For instance Platoon has both a label with a circular Nintendo seal and an oval Nintendo seal. This is not on their site yet. There are a lot of small variations with the labels themselves, which can be collected, though some are extremely small. They are, though the best source of information on NES games around.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Starwander View Post
    Actually your attempts are not in vain, as they do not list every variant there is. For instance Platoon has both a label with a circular Nintendo seal and an oval Nintendo seal. This is not on their site yet. There are a lot of small variations with the labels themselves, which can be collected, though some are extremely small. They are, though the best source of information on NES games around.
    I'm not sure if you're referring to the NintendoAge database or NGD's list. NGD's list doesn't list every seal of quality variant, probably to keep the list a decent size. He just simply says "You will find that most games released before March 1989 and re-released after March 1989 have both seal versions.". So if you're insane enough to actually want both seal variations of a certain game all you need to know is the release date.

That is not to say NGD's List has every last variant, but it's more than enough to keep a person busy for a long long time if they are in to variants. There are almost certainly some other variants that have not been caught yet. Like I came across a Wizardry cart with a silver "battery backup label" (on the rear) not long ago, made a post about it here. Whether it is a legit variant or something else (read that thread for more info) can't be confirmed unless someone else can find another with a similar silver shine. I personally don't know what to make of it, either way it's only worth a few bucks. :P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by savageone View Post
    I'm not sure if you're referring to the NintendoAge database or NGD's list. NGD's list doesn't list every seal of quality variant, probably to keep the list a decent size. He just simply says "You will find that most games released before March 1989 and re-released after March 1989 have both seal versions.". So if you're insane enough to actually want both seal variations of a certain game all you need to know is the release date.

That is not to say NGD's List has every last variant, but it's more than enough to keep a person busy for a long long time if they are in to variants. There are almost certainly some other variants that have not been caught yet. Like I came across a Wizardry cart with a silver "battery backup label" (on the rear) not long ago, made a post about it here. Whether it is a legit variant or something else (read that thread for more info) can't be confirmed unless someone else can find another with a similar silver shine. I personally don't know what to make of it, either way it's only worth a few bucks. :P
    I didn't even know that variant existed. I will have to keep an eye out for it. As for the insaneness factor for some of the variants I have to agree with you. I used to be a stamp collector actually and in that hobby there are a ton of tiny little variations. Sometimes you actually had to use a magnifying lens to see the differences between two different variations. So although it is pretty insane, it just stuck with me.
    Last edited by Starwander; 10-18-2007 at 07:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Starwander View Post
    If you have a variant that isn't listed on their site, tell them! Join the message boards and post a picture and I'm sure it will be added. The database is constantly being updated.

Known Scammer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yes, join NA and tell them about any new variations found If it isn't listed in the database, it's more than likely because it hasn't been uploaded yet. From the reads of it, NA is getting ready to do a HUGE upgrade and so the database has been on lockdown to add any new info as of yet. The upgrade will include all the new variations and such that have been recorded. There is a pretty long thread about variations HERE

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

wow NA looks cool. Also I got a variant they don't have. I'll tell them later