Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fun N' Games in Wayne NJ Closing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Default Fun N' Games in Wayne NJ Closing

I was at the Willowbrook Mall today, when I noticed a large sign in the window of the exterior arcade "Fun N' Games" that said something to the effect of "everything inside is on sale - we are closing".

To the best of my knowledge, Fun N' Games is one of the few operating "arcades" left in Northern New Jersey, and one that I've enjoyed since I was a youngster.

While I haven't participated in any, I've been aware that they held game tournaments on a semi-regular basis, and the condition and upkeep of their machines was always excellent, controllers, buttons, monitors, etc, were always in good working condition. A testament to their in-house repair staff.

Now, I'm not really sure if anybody on the DP Arcade forums knows or knew anybody who ran that establishment, or whether or not there was any bad/good blood ... but I felt that this was worth mentioning either way.

Truly a sign of the times for North Jersey and "arcades" in general.

(The DP store is only about 20 miles... er did I say 20? Make that 7, yes, 7 MILES AWAY [thanks Joe] from Fun N' Games.)

I didn't see prices listed on any of the games, but like the sign said - everything was for sale. So, people who are interested might want to drop them a line.

www.funngamesonline.com
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 11-01-2007 at 02:38 AM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Too bad this is the end of an era. I work 5 minutes from here and eat lunch at the mall probably once a week although I doubt I've been inside the arcade in 15 years. I'm actually surprised that this didn't close years ago. I might have to walk through one last time to check things out and see if I can pick up another cabinet for the house.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Default Thanks for the info..

Holy Shit.....Wow!!..that's truly Sad..Another one gone....I went in there a few months back to check out the pinball machines..

I don't even know of another arcade in the/that general area.(besides Joes-digital press stores line of arcade machines)

Ahh,man..I might have to take my butt up there to bid my farewell..

In-Arcade Game List
    Fun N' Games has a variety of games from the classic to the most recent and popular games on the market. Here is a list of all the new and older games that we have for you:
    COMING SOON

Ghost Squad
    House of Dead 4

NEW GAMES

Fast and the Furious Tokyo Drift
    Maximum Tune Midnight
    Soul Caliber 3 (Updated)
    Tekken 5 (Updated)

RACING

Artic Thunder Ultra
    Daytona 2 DLX
    Fast & Furious
    Indy 500
    Initial D Version 3
    Need for Speed
    Super Bikes

MUSIC

Dance Dance Revolution 8th Mix Extreme
    DDR: SuperNOVA
    Drummania - 10th Mix
    In the Groove 2
    In the Groove 2

CLASSICS

Defender 2
    M.Command/Millipede/Bowling
    Ms.Pacman/Galaga

SHOOTERS

Area 51/Max Force Duo
    B.Head 2002
    Big Buck Hunter Pro
    Crisis Zone
    House of the Dead 3
    Lethal Enforcer 3
    Police Trainer 2
    Silent Scope 3
    Target Terror
    Time Crisis 3
    Time Crisis 4

MISC

Air Hockey
    Grid
    Mega Touch 2006

PINBALL

Lord of the Rings
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Simpsons

FIGHTING
    Capcom vs. SNK 2
    King of Fighters
    Marvel vs Capcom 2
    Soul Calibur 3
    Street Fighter 3rd Strike
    Street Fighter Anniversary

SPORTS

Blitz 2000
    Full Court Fever
    Madden Football 2007
    Madden NFL
    NBA Showtime
    PGA Tour Golf
    Virtua Tennis 2
    World Series 01

.................................................. ....................................
    Joe: if you ever expanded,got into a full Arcade location LMK as I have some machines here that could be of use..
    Last edited by Videogamerdaryll; 10-24-2007 at 12:07 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man does that SUCK! If for only the fact of arcades which disappear. That place has been going downhill for years. Lots of kids and drug addicts hanging arround the place with nothing to do.

Every time I went there, I played a round of Ms Pacman, then left. Too many racing, fighting, and dancing games.

Only other sort of arcade is SportsWorld on Rt17, but that place sucks too.
    I'm just trying to keep from losing my mind!

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    achika
    PSN
    portnoyd

Holy fuck. I have easily dropped $1000 playing MvC2 there alone. This sucks. There goes the last decent arcade unless you want to drive forever to Eight on the Break, and even that place kinda sucks.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by portnoyd View Post
    Holy fuck. I have easily dropped $1000 playing MvC2 there alone. This sucks. There goes the last decent arcade unless you want to drive forever to Eight on the Break, and even that place kinda sucks.
    8 on the break has some sick marvel competition though.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Vigilante View Post
    Man does that SUCK! If for only the fact of arcades which disappear. That place has been going downhill for years. Lots of kids and drug addicts hanging arround the place with nothing to do.

Every time I went there, I played a round of Ms Pacman, then left. Too many racing, fighting, and dancing games.

Only other sort of arcade is SportsWorld on Rt17, but that place sucks too.
    FYI, Sportsworld no longer exists, it was leveled and a furniture store was built in it's place...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Cataractula
    PSN
    CTRCT

November 24th is when the auction is...damnit I fucking hate Black Friday even more now. I'm going to be working at Toys R Us trying to survive being trampled while theres an arcade cabinet auction going on.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Hates_You View Post
    (The DP store is only about 20 miles away from Fun N' Games.)
    Actually I am about 7 miles away from Fun & Games.

I'm gonna miss the place. I haven't been there in awhile but I've spent countless hours there over the years, especially in my Montclair State college days (and when my office was right across the street at Wayne Interchange Plaza).

Ghostbuster
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    57 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Greg2600

According to www.superauctions.com website.....

After more than 33 years, Fun’n’Games has lost their lease and decided to call it a career! Everything will be sold to the highest bidders in individual lots, regardless of price! Looking for new, late-model pieces in excellent condition? Then this is the auction for YOU! Go to our website at SuperAuctions.com to see all the photos–the pride of ownership really shows here! All units are immaculate, late model, route-ready and in 100% working order.
    PRIVATE AUCTION • NO MINIMUMS • NO RESERVES

IMMACULATE UNITS INCLUDE: Konami Dance Dance Revolution 8th Mix and Dance Dance Revolution Supernovas (3) • Raw Thrills Fast & Furious (4) • Global VR Need for Speed (2) • Sega Initial D’s (2) • Betson Super Bikes (2) • Namco Time Crisis 3 & 4’s (4) • Namco Max Tune Midnights (2) • Konami Silent Scope 3 • Sega House of the Dead’s (2) • Bally-Midway Arctic Thunder Ultras (2) • Sega Daytona 2’s (2) • Stern Pinballs including Pirates of the Caribbean, Simpsons Pinball Party, Lord of the Rings – just to name a few! • PLUS Parts, Kits, Display Cases, Signage, Support Equipment, Changers, etc., etc.
    Sounds like Willowbrook kicked them out, which is really unfortunate.
    The Paunch Stevenson Show free Internet podcast - www.paunchstevenson.com - DP FEEDBACK

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    According to www.superauctions.com website.....
    We should participate in the auction and try to get $10,000 arcade games for $50.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I knew one of the guys who worked at Fun N Games and a bunch of regular customers. I used to work with some of them!

By the way, if it hasn't been mentioned already, check this out:

Time Out Amusement Center - old arcade photos

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by digitalpress View Post
    Actually I am about 7 miles away from Fun & Games.

I'm gonna miss the place. I haven't been there in awhile but I've spent countless hours there over the years, especially in my Montclair State college days (and when my office was right across the street at Wayne Interchange Plaza).

Haha, damn me and my crappy mental-distance-estimations!

I should have just map-quested it.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just found this forum, and I still to this day, cannot believe that Fun N' Games is no more! That arcade sure was pretty good for the most part, though I'll admit that it did get worse towards the end of it's time, due to having too many of the same games that I really didn't care for, and that most of the good games they had that I liked were ones that I could already play at home on my console systems. It also didn't help that this arcade would almost always be swarmed with teenagers, who did pretty much nothing, but hang out, and loiter almost the whole time, which would get annoying at times.

I first went to this arcade during the mid 90's, though I didn't start going to it as often as I could, until very late 1999. I felt like I was in heaven when I was here then, as arcades were still pretty good in the late 90's, though were nowhere near as good as they were during the golden ages from the 80's, to early to mid 90's. I would come here at least a few times a year (I couldn't go here too often, as I don't live that close to it), though would be often disappointed with it, while hoping it would still be as good as it was when I first started to visit this place on a semi regular basis. I was one of the gamers who would come here basically for nostalgia reasons, over being interested in really playing the games here (especially since the games became so expensive to play), as I would often exit this arcade almost as fast as I would enter it.

I will admit that I found it pretty hard to take when I last went to the Willowbrook Mall (which was just after F.N.G. closed down), and saw the windows of this arcade "blacked out". I was also pretty upset that this arcade was in my opinion, starting to barely get a little better than before, and was about to (according to their website) get one of my all time favorite games in The House Of The Dead 4, which has yet to get a console release, and got Time Crisis 4, which I also like, and cannot play at home now, since I currently don't have a Playstation 3 system. I do hope that this arcade will relocate as they say they will one day, even though arcades (especially mall ones) are becoming as rare of a sight as payphones are these days. I also wonder what will become of the spot where Fun N' Games was located, and if it's somehow possible that the Willowbrook Mall will get another arcade in the near future? That would be pretty good, since this mall having an arcade would be better than not having one in my opinion, even if it won't be nearly as special as Fun N' Games was.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I used to live in Oakland, NJ and moved out of there around 1986 or so.
    Anyways, does anybody remember the arcade(s) that used to be in that shopping center where Shoprite is?

There was one that the entrance was a Clown's mouth (freaky I know)..and the other was down the mall near where the Movie theater was (was being the operative word as it's gone now). ( btw, that movie theater is where I saw my 1st pg movie..in 1980...Mothers Day..the Troma film at! )The arcade next to the movie was a lot smaller but had fun games and all. I remember seeing the Kiss, Ted Nugent and Playboy pinball machines there...*big pinball fan here*.

I moved a town or 2 away and really never came back to Oakland until a few months ago. All my childhood hangouts are gone.

The roller rink - gone.
    The movie near the roller rink - gone. I think it's a blockbuster now.
    Sears Surplus - gone
    The 2 fore mentioned arcades...gone and gone.
    The 5 & Dime store near the train tracks (where I used to get my baseball cards and wacky packages stickers from) - gone.

Sigh.

I know there used to be a arcade in the Wayne Hills Mall. I'll swing by there tomorrow and see if it's still around.
    I did goto a local Pizza place in Wayne and they had 2 new Pinball machines there!

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Arrow I remember that one!

Quote Originally Posted by annelid View Post
    I used to live in Oakland, NJ and moved out of there around 1986 or so.
    Anyways, does anybody remember the arcade(s) that used to be in that shopping center where Shoprite is?

There was one that the entrance was a Clown's mouth (freaky I know)..and the other was down the mall near where the Movie theater was (was being the operative word as it's gone now). ( btw, that movie theater is where I saw my 1st pg movie..in 1980...Mothers Day..the Troma film at! )The arcade next to the movie was a lot smaller but had fun games and all. I remember seeing the Kiss, Ted Nugent and Playboy pinball machines there...*big pinball fan here*.

I moved a town or 2 away and really never came back to Oakland until a few months ago. All my childhood hangouts are gone.

The roller rink - gone.
    The movie near the roller rink - gone. I think it's a blockbuster now.
    Sears Surplus - gone
    The 2 fore mentioned arcades...gone and gone.
    The 5 & Dime store near the train tracks (where I used to get my baseball cards and wacky packages stickers from) - gone.

Sigh.

I know there used to be a arcade in the Wayne Hills Mall. I'll swing by there tomorrow and see if it's still around.
    I did goto a local Pizza place in Wayne and they had 2 new Pinball machines there!

My grandmother lives in Pompton Lakes and I used to go to that Shoprite when I was a kid in the '80s. I absolutly remember that arcade. I can't recall the name or any of the games it had, but I clearly remember it was at the end of the building facing the hallway. It's probably been gone since the early to mid '90s. I haven't been in that store in forever. My grandmother still shops there. When I was young, I thought it was cool that they had an elevator in the parking garage with some shlub being paid to sit in a chair and push the buttons all day for people

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Arrow the arcade in Wayne Hills mall

..was also owned by the Fun N Games in Willowbrook. I used to get this card every year for my birthday that allowed me 4 free credits a week on any game I wanted. It worked at the Wayne Hills arcade too. I remember there was this black dude who worked there who always was nice and gave me way more credits on a machine than I was allowed. And then he got arrested along with some other people in a drug bust, I remember my mom reading about it in the paper.
    The games they had that I recall was Paperboy, the very rare cartoon-graphics sit down version of Cobra Command, Star Wars, Mario Brothers, and before I stopped going there around 1991-1993, Out-Runners. That's another mall that I havn't been back to in forever!

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

I used to go there often with friends down when I lived in Verona. Not so much when I moved up to Dover, but I always stoppe din there to play games when I was at Willowbrook, even if I didn't plan to. Last times I was there though it seeme dlike the staff was having trouble handling all the kids, along with all the teenagers outside smoking and hanging out trying to dodge the cops.

Makes me kinda wish the arcade in the Rockaway Mall didn't finally close down either.
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Games

Now a days everybody wanted to play games.
    not only the kids even the youth is attracted by this games.
    So that's why no of games are gonna to be introducing day by day.
    And i also really enjoyed playing games.
    ===================================
    kevin500

a place for Drug Treatment.

New Jersey Drug Addiction

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by kevin500 View Post
    Now a days everybody wanted to play games.
    not only the kids even the youth is attracted by this games.
    So that's why no of games are gonna to be introducing day by day.
    And i also really enjoyed playing games.
    ===================================
    kevin500

a place for Drug Treatment.

New Jersey Drug Addiction
    Yes Kevin500, I would strongly suggest some of that drug treatment.