Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wow - IGN is really retarded. (rant regarding their list of 13 scariest games ever)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Default Wow - IGN is really retarded. (rant regarding their list of 13 scariest games ever)

They make a list (in chronological order) of the 13 scariest games ever made.

http://games.ign.com/articles/831/831082p1.html

Resident Evil 4 is not even on the list. 7th Guest, and 2 Fatal Frames are apparantely better than RE4.

Will someone please tell these dumbasses what a "video game" is....

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have to disagree with your statement of angst. You mention that RE4 is a better game, sure I can roll with that that game kicks all kinds of ass. What i cant go along with is the fact that they didnt say anything about how good the games are just how scary they were.

frankly i didnt find RE4 all that scary (but maybe i dont find anything as scary after playing in the dark with no one else around sessions of Silent hill 2... gave me nightmares)

I normally dont go to IGN and wont say anything about the retard factor (cause frankly that guy did seem to be a bit on that end of things) but all the same a site that has a major component related just to video games probalby does at least know what they are.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stimmyjimmel View Post
    I have to disagree with your statement of angst. You mention that RE4 is a better game, sure I can roll with that that game kicks all kinds of ass. What i cant go along with is the fact that they didnt say anything about how good the games are just how scary they were.

frankly i didnt find RE4 all that scary (but maybe i dont find anything as scary after playing in the dark with no one else around sessions of Silent hill 2... gave me nightmares)

I normally dont go to IGN and wont say anything about the retard factor (cause frankly that guy did seem to be a bit on that end of things) but all the same a site that has a major component related just to video games probalby does at least know what they are.
    I agree, RE4, while being a good game and all, wasnt scary at all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Quote Originally Posted by stimmyjimmel View Post

Actually, I think the sequence in the village of RE4 are some of the creepiest, most unsettling moments in a video game - easily topping any of it's predecessors. Once you enter the castle, the games story starts to look a little silly.

I won't even go into why BioShock should also be included on that list, and System Shock 2 was..... I've played through BioShock twice, and am going through it yet again, on hard. The overall ambience mixed with the overall deterioration and stark, foreboding atmosphere of the city itself... There are some genuinely scary moments in that game.

I'm not saying System Shock 2 was a bad game, I'm just saying Bioshock is more or less an homage to System Shock 2 - But BioShock is more polished in every way imaginable. Remember the chill you got when you came up against your first Big Daddy??
    Last edited by diskoboy; 11-04-2007 at 11:15 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    7 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Borman View Post
    I agree, RE4, while being a good game and all, wasnt scary at all.
    The chainsaw guys proved that RE4 IS scary.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Pretty neat list, though I pretty firmly disagree with both Resident Evil and Eternal Darkness. Resident Evil suffered from being more campy than scary while Eternal Darkness just felt like a trashy horror comic book miniseries turned into a half baked game.

Shame Thief didn't make the cut, because even before you make it to the truly scary supernatural stuff, you're putting up with intense, suspenseful sneaking and thieving. Once the supernatural themes start kicking in (and not just with the zombies early on, but with the ghosts and such) then it gets even more intense than System Shock 2. I could finish System Shock 2, but I've yet to be able to bring myself to finish Thief (and it came out a good deal beforehand).

But hey, they included Undying, and that outweighs any other complaints and criticisms I could think of. Undying wasn't just a freaky game, it was also a damn good one that tanked way, way harder than any game deserves to (especially such a good one)

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never did play system shock 2 so i can't say anything about it, but yeah i have to agree that Bioshock does indeed have quite the creepy atmoshphere.

Also i will concede that RE4 did have some "Oh SHIT" moments (The first Regenerator for example) but i still dont feel that it was all that creepy as a whole.

ServBot (Level 11) WiseSalesman's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Out of the list, only Alone in the Dark, Eternal Darkness, Silent Hill, and F.E.A.R actually scared me. Undying? Doom 3? Please.

Also, having just recently completed Bioshock, I have to say I didn't really find it scary. The one part that was a bit unnerving? The audio diaries near the surgeon's room. If you've played it you know what I'm talking about. I haven't played System Shock 2 quite yet (it's in my backlog, so I'll probably get to it sometime in 2010) so I can't really say anything about it one way or the other.

Additionally, I'm going to throw my hat into the ring on RE4 - i'm in the "great game, but not scary game" camp on that one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

I'll have to agree with everyone else, while it was a bad ass game, Resident Evil 4 was hardly scary at all when compared to others in the series. I'm glad to see that Alone in the Dark got mentioned, since it's usually overshadowed by Resident Evil as the original survival horror.

I'm disappointed to see that Half Life didn't make the cut, I remember first playing it not knowing what I got myself into and the game scared the shit out of me.

These kinds of lists are usually halfassed anyway, so it's best to never take them seriously.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre

somewhere between the past and the future
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When I saw the letters I G & N used together and immediately knew the list was invalid.

Possibility is infinity! You must be satisfied!

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces. -The Sizz

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by diskoboy View Post
    Resident Evil 4 is not even on the list. 7th Guest, and 2 Fatal Frames are apparantely better than RE4.

Will someone please tell these dumbasses what a "video game" is....
    I'm going to have to disagree with you here. As others have said we're not rating games on how "good" they are, but how scary they are. In terms or horror Fatal Frame 1-3 are so far above RE4 it's not funny. Psychological horror is so much deeper. You need to feel powerless, and both SH and FF are good at that.

By coincidence I was on Youtube a few minutes ago and watched a few "top X scariest games" clips, one from GameTrailers and one from Gamespy. I'm amazed with how many FPS type games make it onto these lists. The Suffering, for example, has a lot of scary moments, but loses it's scariness halfway through when your mowing down wave after wave of demons with giant chainguns.
    Last edited by Promophile; 11-05-2007 at 03:54 AM.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Good to see Undying on the list, i remember that game being pretty scary I'm alittle suprised that they didnt mention Phantasmagoria tho. I havnt played it myself, but its suppose to be really scary.

Strawberry (Level 2) Wolfrider31's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slate View Post
    Speaking of Chainsaw guys, remember the dudes from Zombies Ate My Neighbours? The first time a friend of mine and I entered "Chainsaw Hedgemaze Mayhem" we were completely unprepared for them. "Hahaha, oh look at that silly fat man with a chain saw on the other side of the hedge. Ooooh scary." *Chainsaw man slices through the hedge and starts chasing us* "Oh shit! Kill him! Kill him!" "I can't! Gah! He won't die! I'm out of ammo!" "Dammit! Last resort: go little blow up clown doll thingies go!"

And every time you heard the chainsaw rev up? *shudders*

Also, where is ClockTower 3 on that list? That was TENSE.
    Order Pier Solar at www.piersolar.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Diskoboy74

Quote Originally Posted by exit View Post
    I'm disappointed to see that Half Life didn't make the cut, I remember first playing it not knowing what I got myself into and the game scared the shit out of me.
    THANK YOU!!! Someone else realized Half Life was also left off the list. Half Life 1 was genuinely scary. Half Life 2 seemed a little more dystopian than scary... But it had it's moments.

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

As much as I love "The 7th Guest"...I wish he could have mentioned "The 11th Hour". The game still rattles my brain when it comes to sloving insane puzzles.

DOOM 3 however...no...but thank god they mentioned CONDEMNED on 360. Brilliant game by far.

Silent Hill 2? It's not as scary as Silent Hill 1 or 4 imho. Mainly because SH2 had such a depth storyline that I focused on more so than the scary aspects.
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Slate View Post
    To me, that felt like a cheap halloween thrill, it wasnt scary.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Imo, System Shock 2 is still the scariest game for me today. In fact, I was so scared, that I couldn't play it to the end. Bioshock on the other hand didn't scare me at all. Other scary games for me which I remember right now were Doom 3 (yes, maybe I'm lame, but I was startled a couple of times in that game), Eternal Darkness (the bathtub) and Silent Hill 2. I think atmospheric sounds play a major role in making a game scary.
    Wii: 8285 8147 1575 6278

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    39 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jajaja View Post
    I'm alittle suprised that they didnt mention Phantasmagoria tho. I havnt played it myself, but its suppose to be really scary.
    It's not really that scary. Most of the game (if memory serves) is investigation/exploring. Toward the end you get to see how some things happened and have to go through a part that's intense but not really scary. The effects are pretty grisly, like when your character gets offed by having her head crushed/pulled apart.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Being afraid your character will die in a boss fight doesn't constitute "scary". "Scary" is unsettling, it's looking behind you when you play a game or watch a movie, it's not "oh shit oh shit, I ran out of ammo and I can't escape." I'm actually very happy RE4 didn't make the list. I was getting kind of sick of hearing how good it was anyway (I agree that it's good, it's anything but horrific though). When SH first came out, I was 12, and that game freaked the hell out of me. 8 years later, or a month ago to be exact, I played through it, and while it wasn't quite the same (a 12 year old's fear is different from that of a 20 year old's I guess), it was still unsettling.

As with any list, there will always be "should'ves and shouldn't haves." Maybe the whole problem with the list is that we don't all agree on what's "scary". To be honest, Doom 3 wasn't "scary" by my definition (i.e. unsettling, look behind you scary), but it did have me on the edge of my seat throughout most of it.
    Just because I want to smell your poop, and taste your poop, doesn't mean I should have to pay for the privilege. I download whatever I want! For FREE!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    Shame Thief didn't make the cut, because even before you make it to the truly scary supernatural stuff, you're putting up with intense, suspenseful sneaking and thieving.
    Hell yes. Kicking myself now for forgetting Thief.

Resident Evil's REmake was a huge improvement over the original, and manages to be scary (I guess) on a level with RE4 at the least.

Condemned I can agree with. DOOM III...eh. Well, yeah, I guess.

Robotriot: Even in 1999, SS2 was pure comedy for me 99% of the time. The rest of the time was probably the tedium of needing to find the ingredients for toxins. Bioshock I've just played the demo of, but it seems a good deal more intense.
    Last edited by Ed Oscuro; 11-05-2007 at 04:00 PM.