Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have 2000+ NES cartridges. How do I sell them?

Great Puma (Level 12) Darth Sensei's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default I have 2000+ NES cartridges. How do I sell them?

So, here is my situation. I have been collection games for a decade. I have a ton of systems of all types and games with them.

For awhile, I was actively collecting NES games (mostly loose) to open an ebay store. However, they jacked the fees up, so I never did. Each of these NES games has been opened up and thoroughly cleaned so they are guaranteed to work. I'll attach a picture of my work to show you guys what I mean. I literally have more than 2000 NES games to sell.

I don't think the economy is going to have a huge rebound any time soon so I'm just going to sell these at currently depressed prices.

I also have about 8 NES Consoles with new Pin connectors to sell. Here is what I think I will do.

Make 8 bundles out of those. Sell them each with one or two must haves and then a bunch of other filler. Say Mario 1, Mario 3, and like 15 games like Rad Racer, Top Gun, Jeopardy, etc. I think I could get like $75+ each on the bundles.

Take the other games and make one large unique loose collection to sell on Evilbay. Just with my loose games I bet I can hit 500 unique games. I think this will sell as it will attract attention.

Sell the rest of them individually for popular titles like Contra, Megaman, Mario's, Zelda's, etc and sell the rest in Lots of say 50 games each.

What do you guys think? I really need some good advice here so I don't throw money away.

You'll notice in the attached pic that I cleaned the left half of the cart. The right half of the cart was already cleaned in alcohol. I think the difference is amazing which is why I open all the carts to do it right.

DP Feedback

I am Darth Sensei on Xbox Live as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

make sure you play 'The Dallas Quest' adventure game on A8, c64 or Apple][
    Last edited by tom; 11-16-2007 at 08:20 AM.

Pretzel (Level 4) miaandjohnrule's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    OriginalRope

How the hell did you get that so clean? Your ideas sounds pretty good, it might be good to get the bundles toghether for the christmas season. The large lot would be a good idea and probably would attract alot of attention. And the most sought after games ie the marios and zeldas should sell pretty easily.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by miaandjohnrule View Post
    How the hell did you get that so clean? Your ideas sounds pretty good, it might be good to get the bundles toghether for the christmas season. The large lot would be a good idea and probably would attract alot of attention. And the most sought after games ie the marios and zeldas should sell pretty easily.
    Mwahahaha... It involves opening every cart and using a "secret" cleaner. I'll post about it after I've sold out of my stuff.

Any other ideas?
    DP Feedback

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I suspect his secret cleaner might be similar to my secret cleaner. I call mine the "Pink Pearl"....

Followed by an alcohol bath to remore the pink leftover bits...

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    24 Posts

Where do you live now? I ask because you might look into selling on Craigslist. As long as you don't mind people coming to your house, it can be a huge time saver, and I find especially for stuff like an NES system w/ games I do quite a bit better than I would on eBay. It will depend a lot on where you live, though.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by -^Cro§Bow^- View Post
    I suspect his secret cleaner might be similar to my secret cleaner. I call mine the "Pink Pearl"....

Wrong, but thank you for playing.

This method is far superior to that.
    DP Feedback

Level 10 Manly Pink Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Pirate OTK
    PSN
    theguywithus

Quote Originally Posted by -^Cro§Bow^- View Post

Better known as an everyday Pink Eraser.

Darth Sensei Don't play games with us (hah you see what I did? I ... oh forget it) let us know.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Guys who cared how he cleaned it? He needs to sell this stuff quick and his stuff obviously from the picture looks quality.

So you can do 1 big lot of unique titles to gain attention

Then sell off individually what you have left (Mega Mans, Zeldas, Marios, etc) Then post the junk with semi-decent stuff on ebay or the uncommon non junk here on DP. You could sell individually or do a "Buy 10 for $20 shipped" or something like that. IF quickness is an option, then lots are the way to go, but make sure you get the money that you deserve for your good games like Marios, Zeldas, etc.

-GAC-
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

i bet he cleaned those pcbs with gasoline
    For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

DP Feedback Thread
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ight=mrsparkle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

it's been a few months since I've sold NES systems, so the prices may be a bit different, but I have found that it's very easy to sell systems with mario/duck for $40, or with mario 1,2,3 and tetris (or other game of their choice) for $65. Also, if you wait until december to start selling the systems you'll probably be able to sell thema lot easier, and for more. I have sold about 90 systems this way, and they sell every time.

I've also been able to sell the popular titles (megas, tysons, contra, zeldas) easily as well, so you should definitely sell those seperately. however, I would bundle them together with their sequels, ie zelda 1 and 2, as you will get more this way.

for the rest of the games I would just post on here and other collector forums and let the members weed out the more valuable/rare games. then, once you are left with commons and crap, throw a few lots up on ebay. you'll take a hit with these, but you should be able to make enough on the popular stuff to more than make up for it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by miaandjohnrule View Post
    You think that is clean, check out how clean this cart is. I only cleaned the left hand side for comparisons.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Looks like you cleaned the gold plating right off of the contacts

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Starwander View Post
    You think that is clean, check out how clean this cart is. I only cleaned the left hand side for comparisons.
    Quote Originally Posted by FABombjoy View Post
    Looks like you cleaned the gold plating right off of the contacts
    I agree. If so, and the contacts are replated, it would probably look as good as new (although, IMHO, that would be refurbishing the contacts, not simply cleaning them).
    If I failed to leave feedback for you on a deal, please contact me.
    My Digital Press Feedback

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

My process doesn't involve any aggressive rubbing on the contacts so there is no scraping or wear on them.

So, guys, what other tips can you give me on how to sell this stuff? I didn't create the thread so that people could compare NES cleaning jobs.
    DP Feedback

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I would say list a bunch of them on the forums before you lot them out just so that no game goes without being seen. but make sure to put prices to make it easier for you to get rid of them quickly.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Sensei View Post
    Wrong, but thank you for playing.

This method is far superior to that.
    I posted in the restoration board, that I've found non-corrosive stainless steel/metal polish to be highly effective in cleaning cartridge contacts.

I've been using the professional grade "Sheila Shine", and the results are usually connectors that look factory new.

I'll have to do a comparison picture the next time I run across a really awful looking cartridge that needs cleaning.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think your best bets at selling the games for decent money have already been mentioned here. Sell popular titles individually or as series, sell rare games individually, sell common/semi-popular/not-so-semi-popular games in lots. If you're going to sell on eBay make sure you offer a really good combined shipping rate (under $2) as you'll attract a lot more bidders that way. You've got a lot of games and you don't want to over saturate your own sales, so avoid listing multiples of the same game at once.

I have to admit I'm more interested in your cleaning method though, as I've recently been looking at the best way to clean NES games. Spill the beans! I know you're saying it's something super secret and if I check back here and it's something silly like DW40 and a Q-tip I will be sorely disappointed. If you've come up with some new method that you think works well and is non-damaging then share, there really is no sense in hiding it until you've sold the games. It's not like you're the only guy selling NES games that will work on the first try after all, theres like half a dozen large sellers on eBay right now that advertise this and take the time to clean the games properly. There are a lot of different methods, but they most likely use contact cleaner and a white eraser.

On the other hand.. I've found a trick that allows most any NES game to work on a "toaster" style NES on the first try WITHOUT cleaning it at all. It's amazing and my NES headaches have been alleviated. moohawhaw.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sounds like you already have a good plan for selling them already. I would just consider breaking the giant lot into something more manageable like 20-30 pieces each.

Feel like grabbing a beer sometime soonish?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    dylan021706

Piece by piece! Very time consuming, but rewarding!