Thread: Games Which Are Better the Second Time

Administrator

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    32 Posts

Cool Games Which Are Better the Second Time

Sometimes, a game is just better the second time you play through it. Whether it is because you know the big reveal from near the end of the game that puts everything else which happened before into a different context, or you know everything that's going to happen and the anticipation of it all makes it better, or the game was so epic that replaying it is bliss, or there is an awesome New Game+ mode that eclipses the original New Game mode, sometimes first isn't better.

So, what are your "second's better" games, and what makes them better upon a subsequent playthrough?

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

megaman (any)

because after the first time around you figure out more and more boss weaknesses, secrets, better routes ect.
    and I say this as a first time to second (or third) type of thing because we all should know most of these by now but when these were new....

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Sticking to the older era stuff, most of it really. SMB1 to SMB2 (or 3), Castlevania 1 -> CV2 or especially 3. Mega Man 1 over the others, clearly. Some weren't or were debatable like Zelda 1 to 2.

New Game+ does nothing for me, it's just a re-run with your old gear.

Sometimes just replaying the same stuff over and over improves because you get more joy not having to get pissed or struggle with the game as you can let the tension go, relax and poke around a bit in a place before going onto the next (or before the timer hits 0.) Mario games were great for that, you'd find hiding pipes or junk that take you to mini areas for more coinage or 1ups.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I find that Pokémon games tend to be more enjoyable on a second playthrough, but maybe that's just me. Since I don't do the online component, I have no need to hold onto my old team.
    Social Justice Warrior and proud of it!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    buzz_retro64

Quote Originally Posted by Niku-Sama View Post
    megaman (any)

because after the first time around you figure out more and more boss weaknesses, secrets, better routes ect.
    and I say this as a first time to second (or third) type of thing because we all should know most of these by now but when these were new....
    Same thing with Blaster Master. Once you know which rooms to go into and how to kill the bosses, the second play through is much better.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I didn't like Altered Beast at all until I learned the game. Each playthrough actually gets more fun, since you can anticipate more and more of what's going to happen.

Since it offers no extra lives or health refills, that's pretty much the way it has to be played anyway. But once you get the hang of it, suddenly the game makes sense in a way it didn't before.

celerystalker is a poindexter celerystalker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    14 Posts

Soaking in Earthbound on replays and finding new quirks has always been fun for me. I also really enjoy Castlevania: Symphony of the Night replays, getting a couple of Rings of Varda, a Crissaegrim, and laying waste to the game is fun for me while enjoying the aesthetics. I also enjoy replaying Super Mario Bros. and Super Mario World, Super Mario 64, Zelda II, Super Metroid, Toejam & Earl, Gain Ground, and Nier (cool new game +). There are more, but those leap to the forefront.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

It's funny you mention Earthbound. It does have some goofy stuff off the beaten trail if you don't use the free guide. Also doubly interesting is how similar the NES game is, it's like you're replaying the old game but far more refined.

Since I intend to buy the game if I see it at the shop today at a fair price (if it's there) how about Super Mario Land and then the sequel? They both get better with replays. The first you can find hidden little things, the second hidden whole missing stages or approach the levels/worlds in differing order.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Red Faction 2. It's not a great game (especially compared to its predecessor), but because the story doesn't get interesting until half-way through the game, it wasn't until I played it for the second time that I cared about what was happening in the game's first half.

I wouldn't say the game is necessarily better after you beat it, but Silent Hill 2 is certainly different once you've beaten it and can better understand the meaning of the game's imagery.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Red Faction 2. It's not a great game (especially compared to its predecessor), but because the story doesn't get interesting until half-way through the game, it wasn't until I played it for the second time that I cared about what was happening in the game's first half.

I wouldn't say the game is necessarily better after you beat it, but Silent Hill 2 is certainly different once you've beaten it and can better understand the meaning of the game's imagery.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Emperor Megas's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I imagine any memorization game, like Space Channel 5 is better the second time around. It's a lot easier to get into 'the zone' once I've gone through it a time or two and can anticipate the sequences. Also, any games that have quick time event sequences is probably better the second or so time around. I HATE shoehorned in QTEs more than any other modern gaming element. Just can't stand them. I'd rather deal with unskippable cut scenes (and I hate those, too) than lame ass, tacked on QTE segments which are just interactive cut scenes anyway. I can just scuff at them and get over it though IF the events always use the same button sequence though, and the second play through is more enjoyable for it generally.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Castle of Illusion was for me because if I remember correctly, it added content(more levels, and your ability to throw apples removed) when you play through on a harder difficulty. I think you even needed to beat it on hard to get the true ending. One of the first games I remember to do such a thing. And one of the rare games where I would even bother playing through again on a harder setting. Simple platformer, but a timeless game I often revisit.

The remake/reimagining on Android isn't half bad either, aside from sucky touch controls and the inability to use a usb/bluetooth controller.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi Everyone

I would have to go with Final Fantasy III or rpg's in general. There's just so many random items that getting them all the first time around would be pretty tough. Often when I play a game like FF III I don't always use certain characters as much as others, then when I play it over again I use the characters I didn't use much the first time around more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    Castle of Illusion ...

The remake/reimagining on Android isn't half bad either, aside from sucky touch controls and the inability to use a usb/bluetooth controller.
    No doubt, I got that one when it was on a 99 cent special and I love the work they put into it, but damn it infuriated me how much I died on the dropping leaves area early in the few first stages of the game because I can not play platformers using a fake d-pad and buttons so I erased it. Shame too because I could see if the controls weren't garbage that it would be a very very fun game.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Majoras Mask, I hated it the first time. I didn't like the tense feeling as the clock counted down.

The second time I was used to the pace and had learned to reset the clock before a dungeon.

Now I love it.