Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: not pushing eject button on SNES what damage could this cause?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default not pushing eject button on SNES what damage could this cause?

so i allow my sister to play my snes and she doesnt push the eject button and promptly just tears the game out of the system without even turning off the system first. i promptly tell her she's done playing my system, and than she picks up two of my games (Super Mario Brother all stars, and DKC2) and throws them against the wall. Both of the games still worked when i plugged them, but i dont know if they still completely work, in but i was wondering what damage just pulling the game out of the system can do, i only saw her do it once, but i dont know how many times she did it, btw my sister is 20.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nebagram
    PSN
    Nebagram

If it still works first time then probably you've got lucky. I've only done that on a few occasions but I've heard horror storiers of people who've killed games and machines that way- I once saw a 32X game completely die after being ripped out carelessly.

Then again, maybe some systems are more susceptible than others. I for one am not going to conduct the necessary experiments to find out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    hawtxdawg360

IMHO, throwing the games at the wall did more damage than not using the eject button. After all, the SNES-2 didn't have it.

Strawberry (Level 2) bust3dstr8's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Fix the source of the problem..... your sis's major malfunction.
    Clowns Suck

Clowns Suck

Great Puma (Level 12) DeputyMoniker's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts
    PSN
    tellUwut

Quote Originally Posted by dendawg View Post
    IMHO, throwing the games at the wall did more damage than not using the eject button. After all, the SNES-2 didn't have it.
    Someone else will better provide details but yeah, I think it can damage the system. It needs to be powered down before you break the circuit. You could cause a short.

BTW: WTF is wrong with your sister? She throws your shit at the wall? And she's 20 years old? The next time she wants to borrow your things you need to tell her to kiss your ass. There's no fuckin' way that should happen a second time. I can't stand having to be around goofy people like that.

Click here to view my collection.
    DP FFXIV Username & Server List.

PSN, Switch, U, Steam, and Twitch: tellUwut

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not pushing the eject button itself won't hurt anything....Pulling it out while the power is still on could damage the system. Throwing games against the wall could break the games.

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

I NEVER use the eject button, but I ALWAYS power the system off before removing the cartridge. Regardless, I have never seen a system "break" because the eject wasn't pressed or the cartridge was yanked out.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

20 huh? Do you still have to tell her that biting is bad too?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    hawtxdawg360

Quote Originally Posted by DeputyMoniker View Post
    Someone else will better provide details but yeah, I think it can damage the system. It needs to be powered down before you break the circuit. You could cause a short.
    True. I tried to point that out, but the forum crashed.

Though it's funny that the fact they may kill their cart never stops Atari fryers.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

On early model Super Nintendo's, isn't the game locked in unless you eject it? That's why they changed the cartridge casing so it wouldn't lock anymore in later games, and I think they changed how the ejection function works well before the SNES 2 so you could safely pull any game out without using the button (Assuming the power is turned off).

At least that's what I've been told. I always use the eject button since its the easiest.

Strawberry (Level 2) Mr.collection's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

In early SNESs there is a plastic stoper that stops you from taking out the cart while its on. Then they just left that part out and changed the carts. I have never had problems taking a cart out while a system is on,not that I do it that much.
    Feedback
    Don't think of me as a youngn' just a collector that learned his basics from a Pico.
    I just like that tingling feeling in my eyeballs when I play VB.
    I am looking for a Mini Neo Geo 2- slot 13".

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by stonic View Post
    Any hardware engineer worth his degree will design a system to handle 'abuse' such as this.
    If you unplug dreamcast controllers while the system is on, it's quite easy to blow out the resistor that delivers power to the port. The first revision of the Xbox1 has a transistor that's 1 volt over spec. Over time that transistor will give out, reducing the survival rate of that model to zero as time progresses. The versions 9 and 10 of the PS2 motherboard overloads the laser for the DVD drive, killing the drive within weeks of purchase (12 volts to a component that required 5). The Xbox 360... well, sucks.

My point is, hardware designers aren't infallible.

While an SNES should be designed to take the abuse, it's not unreasonable to think that a 20 year old penny a pound resistor might give out as you send a back current down the line by shorting out a connection unplugging a cart while the system is running.

In other words, shouldn't cause damage. Might cause damage.
    Last edited by ProgrammingAce; 12-26-2007 at 10:49 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I never really had a problem when the botton isn't pushed but I like to make everybody push it so I can see the cart jump out. I say just rid yourself of this horrible game killer of yours by telling her to go to time out.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Strange, I didn't know you could rip cartridges out of the SNES without using the eject button until now. I always wondered why they changed the cartridges.

I know SNES's are built like tanks though. My cat went running across the room once, got caught up in the controller cord which violently whipped the SNES off of the entertainment center, into another piece of furniture and then crashing to the ground. Donkey Kong Country kept playing as if nothing had happened.

I know for a fact that pulling cartridges out of an Atari 2600 with the power on can screw the system up. My friends used to do this to one that I had, and eventually player 1 would act as if they button was constantly being pushed. I'd put in Air Sea Battle, select a game where you played against the CPU and watch the 2600 play itself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    phreak97

the only way youd cause damage pulling the cart out with the system on as far as i can see is if you pull it out on such an angle that contacts cross over multiple pins, or move onto the wrong pins, but im pretty sure the cart slot is snug enough to prevent this. the n64 is another matter, i KNOW you can cross pins on that, but i've never heard of permanent damage from doing it. look up zelda crooked cartridge in google, its quite amazing what happens when you mix sound lines with data lines (i think thats what causes the effect, goldeneye is also quite amusing, but less useful). anyway, i've rambled enough. im fairly confident you wont ruin anything, but the chance is always there. how many snes consoles or games have you encountered with isses that werent caused by a kid pouring his coke in there, or by a somewhat older kid trying to mod it? (or by some retard using a random power cable just cos it fits? though the us snes probably doesnt get that problem)

end ramble

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bandicat View Post
    I know SNES's are built like tanks though. My cat went running across the room once, got caught up in the controller cord which violently whipped the SNES off of the entertainment center, into another piece of furniture and then crashing to the ground. Donkey Kong Country kept playing as if nothing had happened.
    if my girlfriend's Slim PS2 can take headers from her wiener dog/mini pin about 3 times total while its been on, doesn't skip, or while saving and it takes the header and doesn't destroy the save games while on. I would say your doing pretty well. I've had my NES kicked when i was 8 (while on, still played Ninja Gaiden), my SNES tried to drink Co-ca Cola once at 12 (still plays Chronotrigger to this day), and my N64 loved that Mountain Dew when i was 16 (still plays Zelda 64) but i cleaned them out at least once a month (damn gamebit cost like 15 bucks a set). My Dreamcast while on had its cord bite by a dog and that was the only time a system busted on me.

That cat story FUNNY AS HELL! deserves a Signature!
    In the free/libre software
    movement, we develop
    software that respects users'
    freedom, so we can and you can
    escape from software that
    doesn't --Richard Stallman

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.collection View Post
    In early SNESs there is a plastic stoper that stops you from taking out the cart while its on. Then they just left that part out and changed the carts. I have never had problems taking a cart out while a system is on,not that I do it that much.
    They didn't take it out, the changed the cartridge design so if a cartridge was pulled out while the system was on the shape of the cartridge shell would attempt to push back the eject lock slider, cutting the power to the system. Usually the cartridge connection would be broken before the power was kicked off however.

As for the second model SNES, they removed the eject button completely, so there's your answer concering that - the eject button is not required although it's nice if your system is in a tight space.

As most of us from Technical have and will say, the system should always be off when inserting and removing cartridges unless designed to function as such (the Atari 5200 for instance). Your games stand more risk than the system in most instances but as has been said, you're basically forcing a short. You have to remember with all cartridges, controllers, memory cards, etc. across all systems have electricity running through them when connected. Removing or disconnecting them while system power is on breaks a circuit, technically causing a short. This has been noted with the Dreamcast controllers which are prone to all kinds of crap because of the VMU slots.

Also about SNES durability, yes the SNES is pretty rugged, with the exception of the power adapter jack which breaks off if you look at it wrong.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by udisi View Post
    Throwing games against the wall could break the games.
    No offense, but this quote is "Quote of the Day."
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Awesome, only my second post here and I've already gotten signature props. I think I'm going to like it here. Thanks xaer0knight!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Quote Originally Posted by udisi View Post
    Throwing games against the wall could break the games.
    Well N64 carts can take a beating serious beating and still work fine, my friend learned that the hard way tho. One time his crazy (now ex) step mother flipped out, grabbed 2 of his games, a hammer and whaled at them full force. Well one of them (Starwars) died, but the other one (Goldeneye) played like nothing happened, despite the big dent in it's face.

So if a N64 cart can survive the actions of a psychotic woman and her hammer, I don't think a wall will have much impact on it
    Last edited by exit; 12-27-2007 at 09:41 PM.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre