Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could the Nes produce a Golden Axe like the SMS produced?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Could the Nes produce a Golden Axe like the SMS produced?

Not trying to start no war or nothing and I know Sega would not release a game to the Nes back then but

do you guys think the Nes could handle Golden Axe like the SMS did. We know its not as good as the Genesis version, but for a 8 bit system it was very impressive.

So was the Nes capable.

I would say yes, but it would be dull looking and probably the characters would be very small compared to the SMS size characters.

What you guys say?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I think it is possible. I am saying only due to the chip Kirby's Adventure used. The chip in Kirby's adventure is more advanced the chip in Super Mario 3. The chip Kirby's Adventure used is the MMC5.

Here is the info about the MMC5 chip: The MMC5 improved the battery backup feature so you wouldent have to push reset when you turn off the NES to prevent data loss. The chip also allows greater color deffinition and partial screen scrolling (not locked like SMB3). It
    is also a customized mathematics module that took much strain off the CPU and took care of many tasks like the internal clock, and other repetitive functions.

The MMC5 also aloowed a vertical split screen scroll which means you can have a side bar of information while the scrolling action of the game continues. The chip has a memory capacity of 8 Megs (1,048,576 bits). Another MMC5 game, and probably the only one, is
    Kirby's Adventure. A few games which this chip had a maximum game page size of 64x16kb.

I got that info from MNielsen nes faq with me finding from http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/nes/file/916386/2946

The sms might have done a little bit better job of the game if they used the same size of sms carts as Brazil did later on with the carts being Megs.

The game would've been more truer to the arcade game by having all the characters with the game being that big.

The nes might've been even better then the sms version is right now if they used the MMC5 chip or create a MMC6 chip.
    Last edited by 7th lutz; 12-29-2007 at 06:39 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2) tomaitheous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by 8bitdude View Post
    Not trying to start no war or nothing and I know Sega would not release a game to the Nes back then but

do you guys think the Nes could handle Golden Axe like the SMS did. We know its not as good as the Genesis version, but for a 8 bit system it was very impressive.

So was the Nes capable.

I would say yes, but it would be dull looking and probably the characters would be very small compared to the SMS size characters.

What you guys say?

It couldn't make an exact copy, no. The SMS two 16 color sub palettes that either 8x8 tiles or sprites could use. The NES had four 3 color palettes for a single sprite and four 3color +1BG color for tiles, for a 16x16 tile area. Even with the MMC5 chip that allow the BG tiles of 8x8 to access one of four 3+1 color palettes, it couldn't retain the detail the SMS system had/has.

So it's not just that the SMS could push 32 colors on screen, but that the SMS could use more colors per sprite and tile than the NES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

This board is starting to remind me of many naval history message boards I've seen where people ask useless questions constantly like what if the US Navy had Corsairs at Pearl Harbor or what would've happened if the HMS Dreadnought had survived the prewar years and encountered the IJN Yamato during WWII...

Hope this isn't a trend.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

You could count on a ton of slowdown and flicker. I know that much.

The hardest things to reproduce on the NES would probably be the magic spells and the beasts you ride on. Just my completely uninformed guess (as a lot of my guesses are).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

What is Golden Axe "Mega" cart size?

Sega Master System cartridge was 4 Mega max in those days so NES is capable to handle it -- but how good now?

How are the NES version of:
    Fantasy Zone
    After Burner
    Alien Syndrome
    Shinobi
    ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not sure about the others, but the NES version of Shinobi is crap. Much worse than the SMS version.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

All them games were better on the SMS, but hey they were supposed to be they were produced by Sega.

But most games on both systems were better on the Master System

and back to Golden Axe, i felt also that the Nes could probably pull it but it wouldn't be as detailed and the gameplay would be slow and there would be much more flicker also.

When I was younger and used to play the Nes at a friends house I always used to feel that the games looked washed out, due to the Nes's low color palete.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I think TMNT II & III had rather large character sprites and good color.

Last edited by theoakwoody; 12-30-2007 at 12:16 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    This board is starting to remind me of many naval history message boards I've seen where people ask useless questions constantly like what if the US Navy had Corsairs at Pearl Harbor or what would've happened if the HMS Dreadnought had survived the prewar years and encountered the IJN Yamato during WWII...

Hope this isn't a trend.

Um, without stuff like this, the classic gaming forum would be a pretty boring place. It's not a new trend. There's been questions like this since the beginning of this board.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_Ames View Post
    Classic. Too bad this message is wasted on yet another one of these threads. We should take this post and put it somewhere special.

By the way, I can definitely see that sort of thing happening on a naval history message board. Or a Civil War message board. Or...well, anything-board.

Hope this isn't a trend.
    It's been like this as long as I'm around. You do get some interesting technical posts out of it, though, like 7th Lutz's post, and besides, there's always people coming into the hobby who just MUST know the answers to such questions.

So, moving on...

My opinion? With expansion chips, anything is possible (except for the graphics). That said, Golden Axe Warrior was playing catch-up to LoZ, and that's what ultimately mattered.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Not sure about the others, but the NES version of Shinobi is crap. Much worse than the SMS version.
    Remember, it wasn't developed inhouse nor were the other games mentioned. No way Sega games would be allowed to "legally" be developed for the NES under the rule of Nintendo. Same thing with the US NES version of Fantasy Zone, the Famicom release was a different and while it didn't look as nice as the SMS version it played just as well. After Burner wasn't bad at all though.

I've reviewed all the Tengen NES arcade ports (and a few of them were Sega games) against their original arcade counterparts over at Retrogaming Times Monthly over the years.

ServBot (Level 11) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Psygnosis8
    PSN
    Psygnosis8
    Steam
    Psygnosis8

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    Remember, it wasn't developed inhouse nor were the other games mentioned. No way Sega games would be allowed to "legally" be developed for the NES under the rule of Nintendo. Same thing with the US NES version of Fantasy Zone, the Famicom release was a different and while it didn't look as nice as the SMS version it played just as well. After Burner wasn't bad at all though.

I've reviewed all the Tengen NES arcade ports (and a few of them were Sega games) against their original arcade counterparts over at Retrogaming Times Monthly over the years.
    You know, it's been a long time since I've compared the 2 versions of After Burner really closely, but I do remember being very disappointed by SMS After Burner basically due to the choppy framerate (which plagues most SMS arcade ports, really) yet being impressed by the Tengen NES version. I think NES After Burner may be BETTER than the SMS version, in fact. I certainly played the NES version a lot more.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by 8bitdude View Post
    I'm not usually a grammar nazi but you've managed to concoct the rare and exotic quad negative sentence. Very impressive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post

I just say that Shinobi for the NES did suck. It's like some crazy company bought rights for it and released a crap Shinobi on the NES.

(Atari owned) Tengen did make some great Arcade ports.. I think that they would be the only ones that could of pulled off something like Golden Axe for NES.
    In the free/libre software
    movement, we develop
    software that respects users'
    freedom, so we can and you can
    escape from software that
    doesn't --Richard Stallman

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Master System version of Shinobi (Sega) looked much better than the NES version (Tengen) is still shots, but the NES version scrolled more smoothly and felt more robust.

Shinobi for the NES was actually pretty decent, but the boss battle graphics were watered down.

Quote Originally Posted by theoakwoody View Post
    I think TMNT II & III had rather large character sprites and good color.
    Yes. Look at NES games like TMNT II: The Arcade Game, Track & Field II, Double Dragon II, and Batman: Return of the Joker. Games like that feature large sprites and great, detailed graphics overall.
    Last edited by Rob2600; 01-01-2008 at 01:14 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    Yes. Look at NES games like TMNT II: The Arcade Game, Track & Field II, Double Dragon II, and Batman: Return of the Joker. Games like that feature large sprites and great, detailed graphics overall.
    According to the Retronauts podcast, TMNT II also used a special chip, mostly for the iron balls that bounced down the stairs in the first level. If you go back and look at them, that animation in itself darn impressive for a NES game, and it's not hard to see why a special chip would be required.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by boatofcar View Post
    According to the Retronauts podcast, TMNT II also used a special chip, mostly for the iron balls that bounced down the stairs in the first level. If you go back and look at them, that animation in itself darn impressive for a NES game, and it's not hard to see why a special chip would be required.
    Of course TMNT II used a special chip. Almost every NES game did.

Check out this page:

The Games That Pushed The Limits Of The NES

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    boatofcar

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    Of course TMNT II used a special chip. Almost every NES game did.

Check out this page:

The Games That Pushed The Limits Of The NES
    Um, the page doesn't even mention TMNT II. In fact, it doesn't even mention that SMB 3 used a special chip.
    Last edited by boatofcar; 12-30-2007 at 11:50 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2) tomaitheous's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

TMNT 2 didn't use a special chip, it used an MMC3 chip. That's a pretty standard later gen mapper. It was used in SMB2 and SMB3 and a lot of other games. These mappers don't add increased sprites or sprite sizes. They increase the amount of video ram/rom available by swapping out portions of VRAM or VROM as it was mostly used. The NES was designed around having the video memory as part of the cartridge. That's why on an NES cart, you have PRG-ROM(program rom) and CHR-ROM(character rom). Mappers aren't new, 8bit CPU systems have been using mappers for years and years before the NES even came out.