Thread: Getting the NEO PCE Super Flash Cart, now need console to go with it!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Getting the NEO PCE Super Flash Cart, now need console to go with it!

Getting the NEO PCE Super Flash Cart, now need console to go with it!

My wife and I have been wanting to get into the PC-Engine/Turbografx-16 scene.

We are planning to order a NEO PCE Super Flash Cart in a couple days. The prices of the games are so high, at least for us, that we feel like it would be taking too much of a risk not to back them up.

Now we just need to pick a system to go with it! Since the NEO PCE Super Flash Cart will play all regions, we will be pretty set as far as being able to play any region HuCard/ TurboChip games that we buy.

So what we are concerned about is being able to play PC-Engine/Turbografx-16 CD’s and back-ups of CD’s.

I’ve read a lot of people recommending the Duo-R for beginners, but we are really concerned about the sound issues that we keep reading about for all of the Duo models.
    I’ve also read that they don’t like to play backups very much.

I’ve also looked into systems with the CD attachments and I am confused as to which one would be best for playing both US and Japanese CD games, as well as backups of those games.

It’s not that big of a deal if we have to buy a Arcade Card and/or Super System card separately, so we can play more of the games available.

On Ebay, I’ve seen a TurboGrafix-16 with CD and System card for around $250 + $30.00 shipping,
    Or a PC-Engine White Core System w CD Turbo-Graphix-16 (Would I need a step-down converter to play it in the US? For around 250.00+$25.00 shipping
    Or the Dou-R route, for $119 in Japan, with $61.00 EMS shipping

I have no idea if these are good prices or not or how well the CD attachments will play all region games and backups of our games…

Any advice?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had an RGB modded Japanese Duo-R. Absolutely great looking machine and I never had any sound problems.

If all you want to do is play Romz or 'back-ups' you may as well go the emulation route. Those old CD drives don't like CD-Rs, so use the original disks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

whats the difference between the duo and duo-r other than the cool white color scheme?
    For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

DP Feedback Thread
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ight=mrsparkle

classicus carnivorous
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Digital Press
    PSN
    digitalpress

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicMonkey View Post
    If all you want to do is play Romz or 'back-ups' you may as well go the emulation route. Those old CD drives don't like CD-Rs, so use the original disks.
    Hmm.. My JPN PCE Duo-R plays backups just fine. And I just tested it this past weekend with a few rarities like Dracula X because I didn't want some of my originals being handled at NAVA.

More curiouser... to the original poster, can you show us a link to a PCE Flash Cart? I must have missed this along the way.

Never let dreams die! CMA Death Adder's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Default ...

I'd recommend the PCE-PRO 32M from Tototek over the Neo products. Tototek offers higher-quality products with excellent customer support.
    Cruise by Diskman Presents : filled with geektastic classic gaming goodness!

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

While I'm sure that at it's core, the Tototek card is fully functional ... I must say, it's fugly as all hell. (Unless you like raw green circuit boards sticking out of your consoles)

Joe, the NEO PCE Super Flash Cards are the superior aesthetic choice for sure.

They can be obtained here :

http://www.ic2005.com/shop/home.php?...c8a82f9b65eae0
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    St Aspartame

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    While I'm sure that at it's core, the Tototek card is fully functional ... I must say, it's fugly as all hell. (Unless you like raw green circuit boards sticking out of your consoles)

They can be obtained here :

http://www.ic2005.com/shop/home.php?...c8a82f9b65eae0
    Question though, do they work with a Mac?
    Welcome to Macintosh.

Never let dreams die! CMA Death Adder's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    13 Posts

Default ...

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post

To me, this is as funny as the age-old "if it has great graphics, the gameplay must match" argument. When it comes down to this kind of product, aesthetics should be irrelevant and the focus put on overall quality.

Aside from Tototek's products being superior for the average gamer, they are also used by quite a few people who actually develop new software for these machines. For developers to use and stand behind a product, it has to be a great one. On the other hand, I know zero developers who use the inferior NEO products.

If you're letting yourself be won over purely by aesthetics, you're often bound to be disappointed in the end. Just my two cents.
    Cruise by Diskman Presents : filled with geektastic classic gaming goodness!