Thread: Generation NEX

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Generation NEX

has anyone purchased one of these? i was considering buying one for three reasons:

1) I want an NES in my bedroom as well in the living room
    2) i want to be able to start buying and playing famicom carts (i can hear my disposable income being sucked away already)
    3) i saw that wireless arcade (NES Advantage style) stick for it at a store yesterday...i was quite enamored with it.

i know that there are some compatibility issues, but that's not too big a deal to me, since i have a real NES anyhow, so I could play the games on there if a few don't work on the NEX.

i am concerned about the quality of the wireless control...does anyone know how well it works?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've heard that it works relatively well. There are only minor compatibility issues (just the standard Castlevania III and etc.), and the 72 pin is supposed to be one of the best. However, I have heard one instance of one tearing cartridge labels. Really more of a rumor I think, so if you have the extra money, go for it.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I own a set of wireless SNES and NES controllers. The SNES controllers are jacked up. The up button is mapped to select. I've tried numerous times to contact the company and always got email errors.

The NES controllers are much better, but one of them has issues with the D-pad. It's a little unresponsive. Like if I'm holding up one flows continuously, while the other starts and stops. Annoying for some games, fine for others.

I essentially got my NES controllers for free, so I'm not so annoyed with them. But I am rather pissed about the SNES set considering the price.

I love the system though. It's nice having games work the instant you turn them on without coaxing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

thanks for the info.

when/if i buy, i will be doing so from a "real", brick-and-mortar store...that way i can return it if it's not working properly

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I had one a while back but had to let it go for a few reasons..The machine itself is a great clone compared to others..The wireless controllers do work.The slim design is AWESOME..I'm a very demanding person when it comes to the TV display image..My NEX had those annoying stripey lines like the ones at the NES model 2,but worst and they were very noticeable.I tooked the console apart and noticed that it was missing a few capacitors as well as other parts from the motherboard.Tried to add those missing parts,with little success..There must be a few revisions of the NEX..I hope you get an older version.So,if you are not as demanding as me,you are good to go!

Pretzel (Level 4) Dragon Warrior Jasen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I just picked one up on ebay with the intent to rip the wifi part out for the controllers and retro fit it into an NES.

I have been using it to play castlevania as a test, and it works pretty good. It grabs the games like a beast, sounds decent, and picture is decent (i only have an LCD TV and a Plasma to hook it up to, so the picture at 47" and 50" looks eh, at best).

The wireless controller works, but i hate the d-pad... they used the gay circle thing, should have kept a traditional D like on the wired controller.

If you can find one on ebay, get it for less and you will be happy.
    Jasen's Customs, Like it on Facebook!

Tutorials on SuperGuns
    http://www.thesupergun.com

Rocking Out a Digital Press since 2007
    My Feedback here.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have one and it's more compact that the original NES if you don't have much space for one, which I don't right now. I don't own any of the incompatible carts so I haven't really noticed the issue.

My main complaint with the NEX is that the carts are so darned hard to remove from the system once they're inserted. I believe they made the cartridge slot slim because the original had some many problems with oxidation and dust getting into the slot, but man, it's a tight fit...
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Great Puma (Level 12) bangtango's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts

There are numerous threads on this machine. I own one and enjoy it. I am a more casual NES player, who fires up his games occasionally. A more hardcore NES player will obviously tell you to use a toaster system or top loader. I only play it one or two hours every couple of weeks and never really got into Castlevania III, so the Generation NEX is good enough for me.

Funny you rarely hear about it anymore or really see it around for sale. At least on my end. The FC Twin does a crap job with the NES experience, mostly due to the button scheme on the controllers, but that is the clone getting most of the coverage now. That and the Gen X (Genesis) thing. The FC Twin isn't any better at NES compatibility than any other clone either.

But the Generation NEX is a nice clone machine in my book.
    Last edited by bangtango; 02-03-2008 at 02:47 PM.

Crono (Level 14)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Any game that requires precision controls is not going to be fun with those wireless controllers. The D-pads are all jacked up on all of them. They should have stuck with the Wired NEX Controller D-pad.

Don't believe me? Try playing Contra, or Super C and shoot diagonally, almost impossible.
    #vbender

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Don't bother with it, try out the Retro Duo. It has much better compatibility and can play Super Nintendo games too. I believe its compatible with the Famicom and Super Famicom out of the box. It also plays games that the FC Twin, Generation NEX, and other clones can't, such as Castlevania III.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 02-03-2008 at 04:35 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

i'll look up the retro duo and get some info...

question on the generation NEX...it now comes with a wireless controller, correct? i know previous it came with wired controllers. if i were to buy a unit that came with the wired controllers, will it still have wireless support? a big part of why i am focusing on this particular clone is because i want that big honkin' arcade-style joystick, and i believe it only comes in wireless. it makes the NES advantage look like kid stuff

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bangtango View Post
    Funny you rarely hear about it anymore or really see it around for sale. At least on my end.
    Some Gamecrazy stores still carry the NEX, although ironically they have begun to clearance out their used NES carts, which makes no sense.
    Currently catching up on PSN, WiiWare, Wii U E-Shop and Xbox Live Arcade exclusives I missed.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by strassy View Post

question on the generation NEX...it now comes with a wireless controller, correct? i know previous it came with wired controllers. if i were to buy a unit that came with the wired controllers, will it still have wireless support? a big part of why i am focusing on this particular clone is because i want that big honkin' arcade-style joystick, and i believe it only comes in wireless. it makes the NES advantage look like kid stuff
    Their joysticks are fantastic. I bought them at the Midwest Gaming classic and for an additional $5 I got a wireless adapter so that I could use them with my toaster nes.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

One thing to keep in mind about the Generation Nex is that, unlike some other Famiclones, it uses the standard NES input ports, allowing you to use original NES controllers and the verious accessories. One of the gripes I have with many Famiclones I have seen is the lack of these ports, and thus, the inability to play Zapper or Power Pad games.

I have a GenNex myself, and although I do have a few gripes (no CVIII [like with most famiclones], funky D-pad on wireless), it stand up as en excellent famiclone for my money.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by strassy View Post

And yes, you can use wireless with the models that comes with wired controllers. That's the model I have and it has the wireless ability built in.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by josekortez View Post
    My main complaint with the NEX is that the carts are so darned hard to remove from the system once they're inserted. I believe they made the cartridge slot slim because the original had some many problems with oxidation and dust getting into the slot, but man, it's a tight fit...
    Co-signed. I emailed them and they said to loosen the screws on the bottom half a revolution. I'm pretty sure I eventually turned them and it still didn't alleviate the problem. Though its hard to tell if they're turned and if I didn't, then they seem impossible to manipulate manually.

Pretzel (Level 4) Dragon Warrior Jasen's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have been inside the system, and turning the screws physically does nothing (apart from taking the case apart). The connector is physically that strong. It forces a good connection though.
    Jasen's Customs, Like it on Facebook!

Tutorials on SuperGuns
    http://www.thesupergun.com

Rocking Out a Digital Press since 2007
    My Feedback here.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SeverThe7th View Post
    Co-signed. I emailed them and they said to loosen the screws on the bottom half a revolution. I'm pretty sure I eventually turned them and it still didn't alleviate the problem. Though its hard to tell if they're turned and if I didn't, then they seem impossible to manipulate manually.
    Yeah, I doubt I'll go mucking around with the case to fix the tight cart slot. I'm just glad I don't have the grip and strength of a 5 year old. I'd never be able to change carts!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

so i'm looking into this retro duo, and i seem to be getting a lot of mixed information. from various websites, i am getting the following:

some say it plays NES and SNES
    some say it plays NES, SNES, and Super Famicom
    some say it plays NES, SNES, Famicom, AND Super Famicom.

does anyone know which of these is the truth?