Thread: Can Older Games Still in Packaging really be worth that much more?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    777 King St West, Hamilton ON L8S 1K2 (905) 522 8013
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Can Older Games Still in Packaging really be worth that much more?

I came about this on Ebay and I was wondering, how much more do you think it can go?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Legend-of-Mana-F...QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jupitersj
    PSN
    jupitersj

I don't know too much about canadian releases but it looks like a crappy home shrink rewrap job.

I know some games come in heatwrap (rallisport challenge 2 US comes to mind on launch) but that looks terrible.

Strawberry (Level 2) murdoc rose's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

that is so a reseal.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by DefaultGen; 03-12-2023 at 07:31 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

He didn't say where it was factory sealed. Maybe he took it to the factory where he works to cover it in plastic wrap.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Actually, for those of you whom are uneducated about import games, I'll shed some light on why you think that looks like a "home re-wrap" even though it is in fact factory sealed.......

CANADA, which is where this listing is from, is a bilingual country (meaning it has 2 recognized launguages). This means that for the Canadian releases of games, there has to be a second manual printed in French included. For PSone titles, there was never enough room in the jewel cases for the extra booklet, so when they factory seal the games for Canadian release, it appears double shrink-wrapped because they often just take an already shrink-wrapped American copy, place the French manual on top, and then shrinkwarp over both.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by The_Kung_Fool View Post
    Actually, for those of you whom are uneducated about import games, I'll shed some light on why you think that looks like a "home re-wrap" even though it is in fact factory sealed.......
    Burn you guys! And from a virgin poster too! Also thanks for the definition of bilingual. I always knew what trilingual meant- but that one gave me problems.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

, yeah, perhaps I went a tad overboard with the definitions and harshness, but it irks me when people just randomly start badmouthing something negatively like that, especially when they're speaking out of ignorance.

Sorry if I came across too arrogant, its just that I'm Canadian and purchase games like that one all the time. It definately looks exactly as it should for a Canadian release, and if it is a "home re-wrap", its honestly the best damned one I've ever seen.

SIDE NOTE: as its a Canadian release, it might perhaps be even more "rare" in that condition, as I'd have to assume our Canadian copies with the French manuals aren't as numerous as American releases. I'd personally be curious to know if serious collectors would discerne a difference between Canadian and American releases, since I'm canadian and most of my games have the french biligual stuff on them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

SIDE NOTE: as its a Canadian release, it might perhaps be even more "rare" in that condition, as I'd have to assume our Canadian copies with the French manuals aren't as numerous as American releases. I'd personally be curious to know if serious collectors would discerne a difference between Canadian and American releases, since I'm canadian and most of my games have the french biligual stuff on them.
    True more Canada releases are rarers but generally less desirable (or atleast less valuable) in most cases.

Some collectors who want them ALL eventually try to track these down but generally speaking they don't get what US games get.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

CANADA, which is where this listing is from, is a bilingual country (meaning it has 2 recognized launguages). This means that for the Canadian releases of games, there has to be a second manual printed in French included. For PSone titles, there was never enough room in the jewel cases for the extra booklet, so when they factory seal the games for Canadian release, it appears double shrink-wrapped because they often just take an already shrink-wrapped American copy, place the French manual on top, and then shrinkwarp over both.
    Nicely said Kung Fool, as I was just about to enlighten them myself. I got a sealed copy of Far Cry Instincts Evolution from Canada that appeared to be the same way--a really bad reseal. But upon closer inspection you could see the "real" factory seal underneath the shrink wrap. And of course the shrink wrap was obviously put there to enclose the extra manual that covered the French language.

Whats also interesting to note is that this trend apparently started with the PS1/N64/Sega Saturn generation. I have come across a Super Nintendo factory sealed copy of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to The Past with both US and French language on the box, but it had no extra manual shrink wrapped to the front. It was also being sold from Canada.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is one case though where I think the canadian copy should be worth as much or more than the US. Even if the US collector doesn't like this "foreign" copy he can turn it into a domestic by removing the first level of shrinkwrap. Hell if these sold for less you could just buy em up, remove the first layer, and make a profit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Quote Originally Posted by Bronty-2 View Post
    This is one case though where I think the canadian copy should be worth as much or more than the US. Even if the US collector doesn't like this "foreign" copy he can turn it into a domestic by removing the first level of shrinkwrap. Hell if these sold for less you could just buy em up, remove the first layer, and make a profit.
    Sure if there are 2 layers of shrikwrap and not one and Bronty I bet you could do just that!

Key (Level 9)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yep, there are definitely two layers of shrinkwrap, and the first is easy to remove. I see these in the stores even now with PS2 titles. I'll let some other enterprising individual try to make a profit this way, I've got other stuff to worry about

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Bronty-2 View Post
    Yep, there are definitely two layers of shrinkwrap, and the first is easy to remove. I see these in the stores even now with PS2 titles. I'll let some other enterprising individual try to make a profit this way, I've got other stuff to worry about
    My PS2 copy of Silent Hill 4 was bought this way from Best Buy(of all places) with the extra French manual shrink wrapped on top of the factory seal.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    WastingOrpheus

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    My PS2 copy of Silent Hill 4 was bought this way from Best Buy(of all places) with the extra French manual shrink wrapped on top of the factory seal.
    That won't get you a tank of gas you better start pulling out the FFVIIs!

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Quote Originally Posted by The 1 2 P View Post
    Whats also interesting to note is that this trend apparently started with the PS1/N64/Sega Saturn generation. I have come across a Super Nintendo factory sealed copy of The Legend of Zelda: A Link to The Past with both US and French language on the box, but it had no extra manual shrink wrapped to the front. It was also being sold from Canada.
    Nope! I believe this started around the NES era, at least in Mexico. I remember hearing some NES games included manuals in Spanish.

Where's that other Mexican guy when you need him...
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Buyatari View Post
    That won't get you a tank of gas you better start pulling out the FFVIIs!
    Maybe, but it will get me a quarter tank of gas. Besides, my copy of FF7 is unfortunately no longer sealed
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    Nope! I believe this started around the NES era, at least in Mexico. I remember hearing some NES games included manuals in Spanish.

Where's that other Mexican guy when you need him...
    Were trhe manuals shrink wrapped to the front of the NES boxes or included inside of them? If inside, then this didn't start with the NES games.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P