Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Does Atlus reprint their titles?

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Does Atlus reprint their titles?

All their rpg's for the ps2 sky rocket in price.....will they ever reprint some of these?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They reprinted Disgaea several times.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Well considering games like Nocturne and Disgaea have already seen reprints. Yes, they do this regularly.

Banana (Level 7) SamuraiSmurfette's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I actually asked Atlus directly about this.
    according to them their strategy is as follows:
    (not *actual* quote...as I didnt record our conversation)

"We'd rather release a smaller number of copies of a title, rather than having a surplus just sitting on store shelves subject to repeat markdowns. We realize that our games don't have as much of a mass-market, and we cater to that"

I for one give a thumbs up to them. You're not gonna see truckloads of Atlus games for $8.98 in the dump bin at Wal-Mart. They don't want to see themselves there.

But they are aware of the second-hand market of titles and periodically things are 'reviewed', but for the most part, buy em while you can as new releases. As it seems that their strategy is for their titles to maintain (and increase) in value.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

And weren't Disgaea et al reprinted by a third-party? GQD?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by SamuraiSmurfette View Post
    And weren't Disgaea et al reprinted by a third-party? GQD?
    No. It was Atlus themselves. The only Atlus games GQD reprinted were Persona 2 and Rhapsody.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Pac-Man (Level 10) djbeatmongrel's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    djbeatmongrel

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    No. It was Atlus themselves. The only Atlus games GQD reprinted were Persona 2 and Rhapsody.
    you are forgetting cubivore
    4 Wonderswan Consoles, 98 CIB Wonderswan/Color Games
    6 Wonderswan Accessories,1 Wonderswan Prototype

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Atlas has said that after collector's were angry with them over past reprints that they will not be reprinting any more titles at all in the future.

So, basically, do not expect reprints of any Atlus games. If you want it, grab it while you can.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    Well considering games like Nocturne and Disgaea have already seen reprints. Yes, they do this regularly.
    The official line from Atlus (on the old Atlus.com forums) is that Nocturne was never reprinted. Only Disgaea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    JCinc421

Also forgetting Ogre Battle March of the Black Queen for SNES was reprinted for the PSX. Not sure if Tactics Ogre (superfamicom) counts as it was not released in the US until the reprint of the PSX version as well.

And I don't have much knowledge on the Growlanser series but I belive there are reprinted compilations of some of these games. Working Designs is the one that did Growlanser Generations.
    Last edited by incubus421; 02-12-2008 at 12:38 PM.

ServBot (Level 11) TonyTheTiger's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I actually asked Atlus directly about this.
    according to them their strategy is as follows:
    (not *actual* quote...as I didnt record our conversation)

"We'd rather release a smaller number of copies of a title, rather than having a surplus just sitting on store shelves subject to repeat markdowns. We realize that our games don't have as much of a mass-market, and we cater to that"
    Sounds like Atlus is channeling Vic Ireland from Working Designs. That was his exact reasoning.

I for one give a thumbs up to them. You're not gonna see truckloads of Atlus games for $8.98 in the dump bin at Wal-Mart. They don't want to see themselves there.
    It's more about making a sound business decision. Why print thousands upon thousands of copies that aren't going to sell? That can only bite you in the ass after a while. That whole "we don't want to see our stuff selling cheap" is just a PR spin to make it sound nicer.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by incubus421 View Post
    Also forgetting Ogre Battle March of the Black Queen for SNES was reprinted for the PSX. Not sure if Tactics Ogre (superfamicom) counts as it was not released in the US until the reprint of the PSX version as well.
    You've misunderstood. The original post is inquiring about reprints of existing games, not ports of older games on newer systems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by raregamergirl View Post
    Atlas has said that after collector's were angry with them over past reprints that they will not be reprinting any more titles at all in the future.
    That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. So in other words, Atlus is openly willing to limit their profits because a handful of whiny "OMG my copy isn't worth $100 anymore!" collectors get pissy? If Atlus said that I don't buy it for a minute. If they can make some more cash off of a reprint they'll do it. I would. Collecting anything is a gamble. Sometimes you win, other times you lose. Anyone who gets involved in the hobby either knows or should know that value can fluctuate and it's not the publisher's job to make sure the market doesn't change. I think Atlus was just paying lip service to the people who go out and buy every title in hopes of ending up with the next diamond in the rough.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TonyTheTiger View Post
    That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard. So in other words, Atlus is openly willing to limit their profits because a handful of whiny "OMG my copy isn't worth $100 anymore!" collectors get pissy? If Atlus said that I don't buy it for a minute. If they can make some more cash off of a reprint they'll do it. I would. Collecting anything is a gamble. Sometimes you win, other times you lose. Anyone who gets involved in the hobby either knows or should know that value can fluctuate and it's not the publisher's job to make sure the market doesn't change. I think Atlus was just paying lip service to the people who go out and buy every title in hopes of ending up with the next diamond in the rough.
    This is by no means their official policy. One of their customer service people posts regularly on their forums and indicated they would try to limit reprints in response to some hostile e-mails they had received in response to previous reprints. I guarantee if there is an opportunity to sell more copies, they will do it. As a corporation, that's their obligation to their investors. I'm guessing they will just be a little more subtle about it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Bojay1997 View Post
    This is by no means their official policy. One of their customer service people posts regularly on their forums and indicated they would try to limit reprints in response to some hostile e-mails they had received in response to previous reprints. I guarantee if there is an opportunity to sell more copies, they will do it. As a corporation, that's their obligation to their investors. I'm guessing they will just be a little more subtle about it.
    Heh, maybe GQD is a front. But, really, it's amusing. Not so much that Atlus said what it said (obviously you don't want to alienate any potential customers) but that it felt it necessary to say it at all. Sour grapes on the part of anyone sending in angry emails about a reprint.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What I don't understand is why publishers don't put "1st printing" etc. on the games like books and such. Thus, retaining collector value, creating reason to purchase at launch, and being able to reprint as nessesary.

Great Puma (Level 12)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

What I don't understand is why publishers don't put "1st printing" etc. on the games like books and such. Thus, retaining collector value, creating reason to purchase at launch, and being able to reprint as nessesary.
    Because it provides absolutely no benefit to the publisher and may have the potential to limit sales of a reprint and encourage people to pay inflated prices on Ebay where the publishers get no cut of the higher prices. For a publisher like Atlas, the fact that some of their games become in demand after they sell out doesn't benefit them at all, other than maybe to move a few more copies of less in demand titles to speculators who assume anything with Atlus on it will become valuable.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    gutpocket

i would buy multiple printings of one game if they did that!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Plus, it's really only books that do the whole first printing, second printing, etc. When DVDs get reprints they don't note from which printing it comes.

Not to mention, does it really matter? What if every copy of Super Mario Bros./Duck Hunt were individually numbered? "I've got #34,678!" Big deal, right? That's worth a nickel. Then the next guy comes up and says "I've got #1!" Now, yeah, that'll probably sell for more than my copy...but it's totally artificial. It's like literally playing a game. The numbers are there for the sole purpose of giving collectors something to play with. They have absolutely no meaning otherwise. It's why when things actually are numbered it's usually a relatively small printing. You'll see #5/100 or something. It's additional incentive to encourage people to pick up the phone and dial that 1-800 number at 2:30 in the morning.

I thought about this in relation to "Greatest Hits" packaging. Most people who have a problem with it do so because it's ugly. Especially the green in PSX games. I'm included. It's usually uglier than the original packaging. Shallow, I know, but if given a choice I'll go for the standard release. But because the packaging is different it's given people a reason to place artificial value on the original release that wouldn't exist if the idea of "greatest hits" involved nothing more than a price drop. There's really no legitimate reasoning behind it...the game is presumably the same. But now instead of it being say one copy out of 10,000, now it's one copy out of 6,000 originals whereas the remaining 4,000 are greatest hits. Like the pool magically shrunk.

I'm not saying any of this is necessarily bad just that I take a slightly cynical view toward anything that seems to be little more than "collector bait" hocked on late night infomercials.
    Last edited by TonyTheTiger; 02-12-2008 at 04:30 PM.

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    The official line from Atlus (on the old Atlus.com forums) is that Nocturne was never reprinted. Only Disgaea.
    There are 2 versions of Nocturne, so unless both where printed at the same time, then it got a reprint.
    Its talked about a little in this topic,
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=73673