Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

Default Replacement NES connectors

Uh, yeah. Me again.

My NES is giving me lots of problems, so I guess I'm going to need a new NES connector, or something. Where can I buy one, or rather - who sells the best ones? There's tons of people on eBay who sell 'em, but I dunno who sells the best ones (I've read reports about some of them not working 100% correctly.)

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Pretzel (Level 4)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've seen some connectors that are gold plated on Ebay,try to get one of these.

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    There's tons of people on eBay who sell 'em, but I dunno who sells the best ones (I've read reports about some of them not working 100% correctly.)
    I'm wondering this myself. I've heard varying reports of reliability, but most people seem to be happy with them. From what I've heard, none of them are as good as the originals.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you are interested, one of the members at NintendoAge has the original Nintendo Brand ZIF connectors for sale... Let me know if you interested, or join NintendoAge.

Thanks.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Kumori-kun

Not to hijack the thread but I need a new pair as well but never accually replaced the connector - is it a hard thing to do?
    Some things never die....Give me all your Sega belongings!!!

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PSerge View Post
    If you are interested, one of the members at NintendoAge has the original Nintendo Brand ZIF connectors for sale... Let me know if you interested, or join NintendoAge.
    Cool...I'll check it out.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamc@sting View Post
    Not to hijack the thread but I need a new pair as well but never accually replaced the connector - is it a hard thing to do?

From what I've heard, it's just a matter of opening up the case with the security bit or using the bic pen method, pulling out the old connector, and replacing it with another connector. I recommend ordering the proper security bit along with the connector.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 98redM6 View Post
    From what I've heard, it's just a matter of opening up the case with the security bit or using the bic pen method, pulling out the old connector, and replacing it with another connector. I recommend ordering the proper security bit along with the connector.
    There aren't any security screws on a toaster NES deck. A standard phillips screwdriver will tear the system down. You have to open up the shell, remove a large RF shield, then remove and replace the ZIF connector. It's all held together by screws.

FPGA arm-based system Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    21 Posts
    PSN
    bb_hood99

Replacement NES pin connectors are not as quality as the original pin connectors the NES systems came with.
    A working NES with original pins will last longer than one with new pins installed, as long as your careful and dont cram the games inside real hard.
    I have had at least 2 new pin connectors break on me within a 3 month period of changing them.

And yeah you dont need a nes screw bit, but a phillips head screwdriver.

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneDavid View Post
    There aren't any security screws on a toaster NES deck. A standard phillips screwdriver will tear the system down. You have to open up the shell, remove a large RF shield, then remove and replace the ZIF connector. It's all held together by screws.
    Sorry, I never tore one down. I just assumed it was like that since the snes I tore apart was like that.

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I opened up my NES some time ago and disabled the lockout chip so I could use the bootleg games I have in it. I've already cleaned the connector once, but I don't think that's enough anymore, so I want to replace it.

I'll hop on to NintendoAge and see if they can help, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Insert Coin (Level 0) debian4life's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have bought probably 20 - 30 different connectors from eBay and I have yet to get a bad one. Just make sure the persons feedback is good and you should have no issues. The replacement is easy, it takes me maybe 10 minutes total and that's with cleaning and vacuuming out the dust from the units also.

Regards,

Brian

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We've serviced more than a thousand NES's.

We've purchased more than 100 3rd party connectors from multiple suppliers. The 'best ones' had a 1 in 4 fail rate in immediate install and stress testing (NTF2, multiple cart reading). These same 'best ones' fail rate increased to more than 50% in warranty tracking over 6 months. (NES's returned for service again).

OEM Nintendo connectors, either sourced (very hard) or refurbished (time consuming) is the way to go.

At least based on what my computer DB says based on my large sample of NES's serviced over the last 6 years. With our current refurb method, we get next to zero warranty returns, within or outside of OSG's warranty period (90 days).

Sadly, I cannot get into the details of 'how' we do what we do. However, a good search of this forum, focusing on refurbishing existing pins, will point you in the most reliable direction.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Great Puma (Level 12) Niku-Sama's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    60 Posts

the best that i found was to take the old connector out, hack it in half at the bottom of the U shape and solder wires from the pins to the board using the board connector side, little grinding of the plastic is needed but this way you eliminate the flexing on the pins because when you stick your game in you wont need to press it down into the system.

most of the time thats the issue, the flexin, but this method is time consuming which is why i have only done it once.
    i have tried "refurbing" the connector and bending them back but its only temporary