Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Top 50 and Bottom 25 Nintendo 64 games list

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Wheres Super Smash Bros

The 3 games I loved on the 64 were Goldeneye, Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros which was better then some games put out now so where the hell is it.

Bell (Level 8) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Atari 5200 View Post
    Goemon's Great Adventure = greatest game ever!!!!!!!!!!
    I wouldn't say the greatest game ever. Maybe the greatest 2.5D 2 player co-op game ever.
    Check my auctions here! I am in the business of finding off-beat things, including video game stuff!

View my collection!

Strawberry (Level 2) Manhattan Sports Club's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

N64 is probably my 2nd favorite console of the 32/64bit era, with Saturn being my No. 1.

There are some very good major titles, some great cult classics and some are just amusing for the kitschy goodness they have to offer like Cruisin' USA.

Among my favorites is Mischief Makers. I've seen people give it mediocre ratings and I just don't understand. It was one of my favorites back in the day and is still a favorite of mine even now, being unique and charming. I also loved Chameleon Twist 1 and 2 which are similarly (though much more harshly) panned, and I enjoy them immensely. Maybe not the best games ever, but Mischief Makers definately deserves to be on there.

Otherwise, I agree with the lists.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Why is Ogre Battle so low, and how did it score lower than mediocre racing games like San Francisco Rush? That game was easily in the top 10, for me personally in the top 5 or 3.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    Inspired by my Top 30 and Bottom 40 Wii games thread:

According to Gamestats.com, Metacritic.com, and Gamerankings.com, here are the overall top 50 Nintendo 64 games:

9. Tony Hawk's Pro Skater - 9.2 (also highly rated: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 and Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 3)
    12. Rayman 2: The Great Escape - 9.1
    13. International Superstar Soccer '98 - 9.1 (also highly rated: International Superstar Soccer 64 and International Superstar Soccer 2000)
    14. All-Star Baseball 2000 - 9.1 (also highly rated: All-Star Baseball '99 and All-Star Baseball 2001)
    15. Madden NFL 2000 - 9.1 (also highly rated: Madden Football 64, Madden NFL '99, and Madden NFL 2001)
    17. NFL Blitz - 9.1 (also highly rated: NFL Blitz 2000)
    23. 1080 Snowboarding - 8.9
    25. WWF No Mercy - 8.8 (also highly rated: WCW/NWO Revenge and WWF Wrestlemania 2000)
    31. NHL '99 - 8.6
    32. FIFA '99 - 8.6 (also highly rated: FIFA Road to World Cup '98)
    40. San Francisco Rush 2049 - 8.5
    42. F-1 World Grand Prix II - 8.5 (Europe only) (also highly rated: F-1 World Grand Prix)
    43. Wipeout 64 - 8.5
    44. Extreme-G - 8.5
    45. Vigilante 8 - 8.4
    47. Ridge Racer 64 - 8.3
    50. Pokemon Puzzle League - 8.2
    51. NBA Courtside 2: Featuring Kobe Bryant - 8.2

What do you think? Is there a good variety of genres? Is there a good balance between hard core, casual, mature, and fun games?
    I don't think any of these would make it into my top 50. A sports game has to be seriously amazing to make it onto any "top" list IMO, and NONE of these are.

Rayman 2 was OK.
    Wipeout was fun, but not special.
    Extreme G was a mediocre Wipeout clone.
    Wrastlin' games. No.
    Rush 2049?! That doesn't compute.
    Vigilante 8. Meh.
    Ridge Racer should be reserved for PS launch titles. The only way that series caries on at all is because it's ALWAYS the 1st racing game out of the gate for Sony's machines. EVERYTHING else that comes after is about 10 times more interesting.
    Really, Pokemans? Maybe if I were 5 when the N64 came out I'd have some nostalgia for it, but I wasn't.

Otherwise the list matched my opinions pretty closely.

Strawberry (Level 2) Manhattan Sports Club's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

By the way, where the hell are the N64 Bombermans? Those games were killer.

Insert Coin (Level 0) TunaPhish's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Best N64 Games

What's funny to me is how the second best N64 game according to all these critics is Goldeneye. While that may have been the case back in 1998 (and I would still have disagreed) when I go back and play it now, it really doesn't hold up well. The FPS genre has come so far since then that Goldeneye seems very bareboned. So, this makes me question: how would we rank the best N64 games now according to current standards? The metacritic rankings only reflect the standards of when those games were released. However, many of them still play extremely well (e.g. Majora's Mask) while others were only revolutionary for their time but wouldn't be considered great if released in this day and age.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Daltone View Post
    It was OK on the PC, but did you not find the N64 version nigh-on unplayable?
    The N64 game plays fine! I'm not sure why reviewers all called it the worst N64 game ever.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

WCW Nitro should have been higher. Or lower, whatever...

That game is a shitpile.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

Pokemon Puzzle League is good but missing one important feature: I'm okay with the music and the sound effects but there needed to be an option to mute just the voices. "I'm gonna win!" STFU Ash! :P

Press Select to Start Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Great lists!!

Mischief Makers in my opinion should've gotten more love, but it's nice to see Worms on the top 50. Rakuga Kids is awesome as well, as are Snowboard Kids 1 and 2.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TunaPhish View Post
    What's funny to me is how the second best N64 game according to all these critics is Goldeneye. While that may have been the case back in 1998 (and I would still have disagreed) when I go back and play it now, it really doesn't hold up well. The FPS genre has come so far since then that Goldeneye seems very bareboned. So, this makes me question: how would we rank the best N64 games now according to current standards? The metacritic rankings only reflect the standards of when those games were released. However, many of them still play extremely well (e.g. Majora's Mask) while others were only revolutionary for their time but wouldn't be considered great if released in this day and age.
    I imagine pretty much all of the sports games would be gone (save for the "soft" sports titles like Tony Hawk).

I feel that Mario 64 is still the best 3D Platformer out there. For me, it's sad that one of the first 3D platformers ever is still the best. Even more recent Mario games just don't compare (IMO).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    The N64 game plays fine! I'm not sure why reviewers all called it the worst N64 game ever.
    Wow, I don't remember writing that!

It has been a good few years since I've played the N64 version. In that time I've had the Andriod port of Carma and the one off GoG. I remember the N64 version feeling slow and the world being very empty. Somehow that took the fun out of it for me. It's not the worst N64 game ever. Superman is a bad, bad game, despite the best intentions of its developers.

Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    I used to play Tetrisphere a lot. It's fun, but my favorite part about it was the music. It sounded really, really good.
    You should have heard the soundtrack that he WANTED to put on there. It was awesome. Unfortunately, the management wouldn't let him use that set of tracks, so he wrote the ones you hear in the game. Now if that had been a disc-based system, both sets of music would have been included.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The Powerpuff Girls: Chemical X-Traction is beyond dire. I played it some today, and it's now the worst N64 game I have ever played, hands down. Irredeemably terrible game. The graphics are okay, but the horrifically bad gameplay is beyond saving. I'm not sure if I've ever played an N64 game that was this bad before... even War Gods was moderately amusing in multiplayer, and that was probably my previous worst choice. Some of those 'bottom 25' games, like Carmageddon 64 (as I said) or Rally Challenge 2000 are actually good games (yes, Rally Challenge 2000 is good! Not great, but good.). Polaris SnoCross, Dual Heroes, and Clayfighter 63 1/3 are okay games as well. Powerpuff Girls: Chemical X-Traction, however, sadly, is most DEFINITELY not. Quite the opposite -- it's unbelievably bad for an N64 game. The controls are awful, the gameplay is awful, the game system si broken, the arenas are poorly thought out... it does everything utterly wrong apart from those acceptably okay graphics.

As for Superman, I still haven't played that yet...

Wow, I don't remember writing that!

It has been a good few years since I've played the N64 version. In that time I've had the Andriod port of Carma and the one off GoG. I remember the N64 version feeling slow and the world being very empty. Somehow that took the fun out of it for me. It's not the worst N64 game ever. Superman is a bad, bad game, despite the best intentions of its developers.
    The N64 version is kind of slow, but still, I think it's plenty fun... the levels are large, there are a bunch of routes, the challenge level is decent, it can be fun if you like having some exploration in your racing (since figuring out the routes is of course always part of the game)... sure, it's not as good as the first game for PC for sure, but it's not THAT bad.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Polaris SnoCross, Dual Heroes, and Clayfighter 63 1/3 are okay games as well. Powerpuff Girls: Chemical X-Traction, however, sadly, is most DEFINITELY not. Quite the opposite -- it's unbelievably bad for an N64 game. The controls are awful, the gameplay is awful, the game system si broken, the arenas are poorly thought out... it does everything utterly wrong apart from those acceptably okay graphics.
    Have you tried the Power Rangers game on the N64? That may actually be worse than Superman..

Secretly I quite like Clayfighter. I even enjoyed MK Mythologies: Sub Zero to some extent

Cherry (Level 1)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

The Powerpuff Girls: Chemical X-Traction is beyond dire. I played it some today, and it's now the worst N64 game I have ever played, hands down. Irredeemably terrible game. The graphics are okay, but the horrifically bad gameplay is beyond saving. I'm not sure if I've ever played an N64 game that was this bad before...
    [...]
    Powerpuff Girls: Chemical X-Traction, however, sadly, is most DEFINITELY not. Quite the opposite -- it's unbelievably bad for an N64 game. The controls are awful, the gameplay is awful, the game system si broken, the arenas are poorly thought out... it does everything utterly wrong apart from those acceptably okay graphics.
    Have you played the PlayStation version? I beat that ~5 years ago and found it to be a silly, shallow piece of shovelware, but by no means horrible -- just mediocre verging on bad. I actually have the N64 version but haven't really played it yet.

I even enjoyed MK Mythologies: Sub Zero to some extent
    Me too, no idea why it's so despised. I thought it was reasonably fun, at least up until the parts I played (I've only "completed" it on Very Easy and Easy, which end partway through the game, so I haven't tried the later levels yet).
    Last edited by goldenband; 10-30-2013 at 08:47 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Have you played the PlayStation version? I beat that ~5 years ago and found it to be a silly, shallow piece of shovelware, but by no means horrible -- just mediocre verging on bad. I actually have the N64 version but haven't really played it yet.
    Really? Looking at release dates it seems that the PS1 version released a month after the N64 one. I see one enhancement in it, looking at the box -- the N64 game has password saving only (yes, there's another N64 game with password only saving, in addition to Charlie Blast's Territory, in the N64 list of idiotic design decisions), while the PS1 version shows a memory card icon on the back, so I presume it saves to the card... maybe they improve d the gameplay slightly too?

On the other hand though, either on PS1 or N64, the game reviewed in the 1.5 to 3 out of 10 range, so yeah, it doesn't sound like it. Those are very, VERY bad scores, obviously. And from what I played of the N64 version, they are deserved.

The game design is just really, really bad. There doesn't seem to be much in terms of move variety (punch, kick, or jump plus punch or kick...), and since block is barely usable (it seems to block one hit, then stop), jumping is the only good way to get out of a "combo". And by "combo" I mean "mashing one of the attack buttons fast", because that's all it is. Of course it seems harder for me to get combos going on the computer than it is for them on me, though on Easy at least they don't always think to jump to break it. Regardless, it's stupid and horribly designed. Also, actually hitting them with the objects in the arenas (to stun them) seems hard, while they have very good aim. It's so, so bad!

Also, looking at some videos of the PS1 version on Youtube, of course that FMV intro doesn't exist on the N64. Instead it's got a text-only intro written in a very hard to read font. Yes, not even still images from the PS1 intro are present, and some of the words are barely legible thanks to the font choice. They could have done much, much better. Also some of the speech is cut out -- those humorous stage descriptions on the map don't exist on the N64 for instance, though the in-fight graphics are certainly better on N64 as you would expect, and during fights characters do have voice clips for attacks and the like. However, the N64 version has only one music track, the Powerpuff Girls theme, which plays in the menu and during every match. Yes, really. There is ONE MUSIC TRACK which plays during EVERY MATCH.

Also, the controls are stupid -- jump is mapped ONLY to the Z button, while L does nothing, so while you can play with the d-pad, and it'd be the better option if the controls were competent, it isn't because you have to use dpad plus Z somehow, since jumping is the only good way to get out of combos (block is near-useless, and otherwise you'll just get hit until you die pretty much, same to them the other way), and is very important for doing damage as well. A and B are punch and kick, which are fine. C-left or C-right seem to block. Stick or dpad to move. The other buttons do nothing, and the controls are not particularly responsive either, I don't think.

Overall, it's a shamefully incompetent game. The music gets old extremely quickly, the controls are poor (should have had jump on L too), the whole "just keep hitting the opponent until they jump out of the way (and jump between hits to stop their repeated attacks)" repeated-hit "combo" system is atrociously stupid, the game has minimal content (six tiny arenas, six fights to win with each of three characters in order to beat the single player, and that's it other than a 2 player / vs. cpu mode)... horrible, horrible game.

Now, maybe I'm wrong about it being even worse than War Gods, but I don't know... that game's a better fighting game than this, so no, I don't think I am. I have not played Beast Wars Transmetals, though; that's also supposed to be a horribly bad fighting game, and it's another PS1 port too I believe.

Me too, no idea why it's so despised. I thought it was reasonably fun, at least up until the parts I played (I've only "completed" it on Very Easy and Easy, which end partway through the game, so I haven't tried the later levels yet).
    I don't have that one... it looks mediocre at best, but I haven't played it myself. I wasn't a big Mortal Kombat fan, so I didn't play it back then, and haven't gotten it since, yet that is.

Have you tried the Power Rangers game on the N64? That may actually be worse than Superman..

Secretly I quite like Clayfighter. I even enjoyed MK Mythologies: Sub Zero to some extent
    I haven't played the Power Rangers game, no. I never liked the Power Rangers, so it had no attraction to me... and while I forget what kind of game it is, now that you mention it I have heard that it's really bad, I believe. I'll probably get it someday because of how much I love the N64, but only if it was VERY cheap...

As for Clayfighter, yeah, of the "bad" N64 fighting games, it's probably the best one. Well, that or Deadly Arts, for sure; that one's not that bad either really, as I said. I think I like the first Clayfighter 63 1/3 better than Sculptor's Cut, though -- the second one removes the 3d movement elements and instead rails the game on a 2d plane, which is disappointing -- I like 3d movement in fighting games, even if it's as limited as Clayfighter's is. I'm glad I managed to find Sculptor's Cut for cheap and did not pay ebay prices for the game.