Thread: journey back home aka quest to find some vintage stuff

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default journey back home aka quest to find some vintage stuff

after reciveing a few phone calls last week from my mom wanting me to go through some old stuff of mine stored upstairs i decided to finally take up the challenge on my day off work and head on over to my old place. after clearing out most of my gameing stuff from home months ago i was hopeing to pick up a few things that i had left and lately have had a hankering to regain (my master system, my jaguar plus a few games along with a few various other systems.) after getting there i realized i may have a task ahead of me when my mom informed me that maybe i should just stay downstairs and watch some tv or something as she "didn't know how i was ever going to get into the back room" where my stuff was. now i found this funny since shes the one that wanted me to come over and go over it in the first place.

not one to back down from the challenge to route through some old stuff and hopefully find some forgotten lost treasures of my past i hurried up stairs and got to work. well.....after moveing the ton of junk that was blocking the door to the little storage room we have upstairs i entered and i realized something. standing between me and the boxes with my name on them i could barely make out on the far side of the room was a mountain of my parents accumulated knick knacks includeing a giant stained glass lampshade that if i broke...well...it wouldn't be good.

motivated by the promise of reuniting with my systems plus possibly other gameing goodies i have forgotten i trudged on. scaleing mountains of boxes of junk, fighting off various giant insect defenders. carefully bypassing the lampshade and basiclly buring myself in. finally after well over an hours work to get to my stuff i start prying out boxes and going through them and......nothing...junk. where did my gameing stuff go? who knows but all i found for my effort was volume 30 of nintendo power, 2 old gamepros from the early 90's. my 1991-92 elementry school yearbook and the 1994 video game buyers guide (i used to drool over all the system specs and reviews in that one). nice memories yes but what i was looking for no....especially not when i was in the mood for some alien vs predator on my Jag.

finally, defeated i dug my way out. replaced everything as best i could and retreated. the one major saveing grace of the entire expedition. as i was leaveing my mom said "oh yhea, i came across that game thing me and your dad bought you that you liked so much, you know, the one that used to have a TV on it". and yhep, there it was my Turbo Express. sure the sound was completely shot but it still played games fine.
    To be honest, i don't want to go back digging through all that crap and i'm tempted to just buy a new jaguar and master system. its finding all those games again that bothers me...oh well.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dude, are you sure that wasn't my moms house? It's the same thing over there. My mom keeps everything. I have made several attempts to find my boxes of Transformers from when I was a kid. They are there somewhere.......

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Same here, I can name off 10-20 gameboy and 20-30 nes and snes games that are somewhere in my mom's house. Also some of my record collection is MIA (some good rare punk lps in there...where ever they are), I think I've looked everywhere and my mom swears up and down she didn't throw them out but I have my doubts. No big deal though, I've replaced a lot of the games and have mp3's of most of the missing records but it'd be a nice reunion.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Soviet Conscript View Post
    scaleing mountains of boxes of junk, fighting off various giant insect defenders. carefully bypassing the lampshade and basiclly buring myself in.
    Hah, I love your description of it there.

Sounds a lot like the nutty things that I've done over the summer these past few years. I still have more boxes to go through, but I actually find it pretty enjoyable (besides the giant insect defenders, heh). My dad has this little made up impersonation of me: "Oooh... stuff!" My boyfriend likes to use it to tease me too. It's not to suggest that I'm a materialistic person or anything, but rather this excitement in rummaging through old crap in hopes that I'll find something interesting. I guess it's how I am at thrift stores too.

Pear (Level 6) Soviet Conscript's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

yhea...i did enjoy getting back there and i was happy to find some old mags but i was pretty dissapointed at not finding the systems and games. it also took up alot of time i could of used doing something else. it was my only complete day off that week (no class or work) if i could just of through and searched the stuff it wouldn't be so bad but theres the obligitory hanging around and catching up with family involved.

its a wierd room to, it used to be a porch but we converted it into a storage room so its real narrow. when i said i buried myself i was being pretty accurate. at one point i turned around and wondered how i got that far and how i was going to get out. all while avoiding the spiders the centipede i came across and god knows what else in there.

when i was out though i figured at least it would hopefully make an intresting story for the DP forum.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Soviet Conscript View Post
    its a wierd room to, it used to be a porch but we converted it into a storage room so its real narrow. when i said i buried myself i was being pretty accurate. at one point i turned around and wondered how i got that far and how i was going to get out. all while avoiding the spiders the centipede i came across and god knows what else in there.
    At least you don't have to dodge cat piss and shit because my mom had this old cat who would go anywhere in the basement before she died and thats where everything is stored. For the longest time I refused to even take off my shoes in the house unless I was sleeping or showering.