Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Fatal Frame series is back

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Well I hate to see a game fail that may not deserve to, but if NOA's reaction is to not make a physical release like the rest of the world while region locking the console, I just say don't buy it. Call them, write them, morse code it out but let them know you'll buy it once it gets a physical release. By denying releases from having a non-rental like status which they've done to some key titles for years now on various systems, it does them nothing but harm, and same goes for Sony who did that junk too lately with a few games. Sometimes things get corrected (Duck Tales Remastered, Wolfenstein Old Blood), and sometimes they don't (Umihara Kawase and Senran Kagura on 3DS.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I can't even take solace in the fact that it got a retail release in Europe and the system would be fairly easy to import

Both region's power supplies output identically so all you have to do is swap that component to get around that difference. And HD standards erase the PAL issue. And even if it initially boots up in 576i or whatever standard definition is over there, setup all happens on the Wii U gamepad as I recall. So getting it going isn't even an issue if it initially can't be displayed on my tv.

It would've been practical someday as prices drop, but alas, it's only a special edition over there and copies seemed to sell out very quickly. Going to be a more expensive import than the console itself likely would be, I'm afraid. $300 or possibly even more just for the console and game is just way too much, especially when I can already play the Fatal Frame 2 remake from the UK on my Wii thanks to the homebrew channel.

Nintendo has me over a barrel since I want this game and this bone that they're throwing is my only chance.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 08-25-2015 at 11:37 PM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    It would've been practical someday as prices drop, but alas, it's only a special edition over there and copies seemed to sell out very quickly. Going to be a more expensive import than the console itself likely would be, I'm afraid. $300 or possibly even more just for the console and game is just way too much, especially when I can already play the Fatal Frame 2 remake from the UK on my Wii thanks to the homebrew channel.
    Or there's piracy. I'm sure eventually someone will post a copy of the European disc to download. If it's only available officially as a download in North America, downloading a copy elsewhere gets you the same thing.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by FieryReign View Post
    They don't have the confidence that anything will sell for their tablet at this point.
    More like noa doesn't care much about fatal frame at all They can be so clueless some times for games by third parties.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I don't think it's clueless, it's more of the direct problem with them since well this century. They would always throw a third party under the bus if it meant they could sell more of their games. They're pandering to the fanboys that third parties rail on about who beg for their great stuff and then don't buy but a few copies then get butthurt when sequels or more titles dry up. Nintendo is just as responsible as the blind losers who buy their hardware that keep third party games off of it as they both feed into the stupid stuff. Back when the GC was around they did try some with that fund, and even here and there on DS like with the Dragon Quest 9 blowout for Enix, but mostly it was all tossing under the bus behavior.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Just to possibly clear something up, this isn't even a 3rd party game. Nintendo has funded its development, owns the game itself, and is the publisher. They're crippling the chances of their own game, not somebody else's.

Nintendo doesn't own the Fatal Frame IP. As such, I also wouldn't say that it's correct to consider this as a 1st party release like many other Nintendo published games are considered as even when they're outsourced to a non-Nintendo developer (Like F-Zero GX for a prime example; Despite the Sega connection, everyone refers to a game such as this one as 1st party). But I'd definitely consider this game as the very picture of what a 2nd party release is considered as.

Tecmo, an independently owned studio, worked under a contract from Nintendo to develop a title in Tecmo's own Fatal Frame franchise for Nintendo. Although Tecmo retains ownership of past Fatal Frame games that they developed independently and the IP itself like the Fatal Frame label (as demonstrated by the presence of Fatal Frame 1-3 in their PS2 form on the PS3's digital storefront), Nintendo owns Fatal Frame 5 itself and it's going to be a Nintendo exclusive.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Just to possibly clear something up, this isn't even a 3rd party game. Nintendo has funded its development, owns the game itself, and is the publisher. They're crippling the chances of their own game, not somebody else's.

Nintendo doesn't own the Fatal Frame IP. As such, I also wouldn't say that it's correct to consider this as a 1st party release like many other Nintendo published games are considered as even when they're outsourced to a non-Nintendo developer (Like F-Zero GX for a prime example; Despite the Sega connection, everyone refers to a game such as this one as 1st party). But I'd definitely consider this game as the very picture of what a 2nd party release is considered as.

Tecmo, an independently owned studio, worked under a contract from Nintendo to develop a title in Tecmo's own Fatal Frame franchise for Nintendo. Although Tecmo retains ownership of past Fatal Frame games that they developed independently and the IP itself like the Fatal Frame label (as demonstrated by the presence of Fatal Frame 1-3 in their PS2 form on the PS3's digital storefront), Nintendo owns Fatal Frame 5 itself and it's going to be a Nintendo exclusive.
    I know nintendo owns stock in fatal frame and it's still a tecmo ip.Still to noa there priority is all ways first party nothing more.Remember operation rainfall they had to give attention to xenoblade chronicles,last story and pandora tower.Id say Tanooki sums it up pretty well.
    Last edited by Tron 2.0; 08-27-2015 at 02:21 AM.