3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

And yet we got Spirit Camera. Bleh...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Let's hope the sales performance of that waste of a spin-off didn't confirm in their eyes their apparent earlier opinion of the sales potential of this franchise in North America.

When Nintendo of America could sit on a fully translated Fatal Frame game (The remake of FF2) for a system not yet replaced that had a 45 million unit install base in this region at the time and few new quality software offerings, the Wii U's lack of software isn't going to guarantee this one making it to North America. So hopefully the Hollywood tie-in that's apparently in production will serve as the incentive for NOA to not once again overlook this series.

I wish Tecmo had just continued this franchise on its own. If Nintendo's money is what makes these possible, I guess I'm glad they're there. But if Tecmo has the financial wherewithal to keep going at it alone, I sure wish they hadn't gotten Nintendo involved.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 09-08-2014 at 10:49 PM.

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

What a coincidence this new upcoming Fatal Frame game is getting released literally the next day after a Fatal Frame movie is being released in Japan.

They're just making this game to leach off the hype of this upcoming movie, which is currently only scheduled for release in Japan. There's not much chance of a localization for North America at this point. Or the movie is leaching off the game, or both slightly off each other. Just seems like another blockbuster type release/sequel at this point.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

How bad is Spirit Camera?

Also while I agree that the small base vs large base with the Fatal Frame games from the Wii to WiiU could appear to be an issue, keep in mind, arrogant ass Nintendo is starting to remember a few lessons I think because of the pounding they're taking. Stockholders can wreck the lot of them and at this point there's a desperation mode going on. A game like Fatal Frame WiiU I'd say would be MORE likely to show up now than on the Wii because it's NOT a Nintendo game. It's not bright, cuddly, mario, zelda, it's not an E or minor-T game, it's everything Nintendo isn't. They need that because the third parties are sure as shit making little effort and they need the diversity. On the Wii those arrogant assholes threw a few fully in english games under the bus our region would have loved beyond Fatal Frame 2, like Day of Disaster to name one and they did it arrogantly on the Cube too with Doshin the Giant as well. Tecmo is pretty tight with them at the moment too with the Zelda franchise being handed over for Hyrule Warriors so that's a plus.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    They're just making this game to leach off the hype of this upcoming movie, which is currently only scheduled for release in Japan.
    That's what I assumed, but other folks are talking like it's going to see an international release as well. Or at least I'm hearing Hollywood mentioned in the same breath, which if it isn't incorrect would seem pretty strange for a Japanese only film.

I'm hoping this game receives a domestic release since they have an excellent track record with this franchise that inspires confidence that this sequel will be a fine game, movie tie-in or not (and I worry that there won't be an easy workaround this time to solve NOA's stupidity unlike how well it worked out on the Wii).

But I'm not holding my breath...
    Last edited by Leo_A; 07-26-2014 at 06:26 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Tanooki View Post
    How bad is Spirit Camera?
    Every review I've seen about this game says that it's terrible and describes in detail the problems with it. Basically, imagine a horror game, but instead of it taking place in a creepy unfamiliar environment with a disturbing atmosphere, it instead takes place within your own home which you'd be very comfortable and familiar with. Because it makes use of the 3DS cameras it can't be played in the dark, it can only be played in a well lit room. Sooo scary!!

Apparently you also need the manual with you as you're playing the game, as in you need to take pictures of it to progress in the game. The game is also only 2 hours long.

Two reviews I remember reading back when the game first came out.

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/..._cursed_memoir
    http://www.destructoid.com/review-sp...r-225748.phtml

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Even if it turned out well, the very fact that it's so dramatically different is a turn-off if you're going into it wanting more Fatal Frame. They'd of had to hit a home-run to overcome that, but they obviously didn't come anywhere close to accomplishing that.

I'm glad the title doesn't include the Fatal Frame name since it wouldn't of done this franchise's chances any favors in North America.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Every review I've seen about this game says that it's terrible and describes in detail the problems with it. Basically, imagine a horror game, but instead of it taking place in a creepy unfamiliar environment with a disturbing atmosphere, it instead takes place within your own home which you'd be very comfortable and familiar with. Because it makes use of the 3DS cameras it can't be played in the dark, it can only be played in a well lit room. Sooo scary!!

Apparently you also need the manual with you as you're playing the game, as in you need to take pictures of it to progress in the game. The game is also only 2 hours long.

Two reviews I remember reading back when the game first came out.

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/..._cursed_memoir
    http://www.destructoid.com/review-sp...r-225748.phtml
    I couldn't get through two hours. In addition to the lights on problem, you have to turn around constantly while holding up the DS. So you either have to play the game standing up, or sit in a rolley chair.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Here's an excellent looking trailer that has just been released.

Japanese release is just a bit over two weeks from now. But just silence so far from Nintendo of America.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Now out in Japan and Tecmo's European office has tweeted that they're unaware of any plans for a localization and Western release.

Looks like they've done it to us, again.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

That's why I tend not to pay attention to press releases for third party games coming to a Nintendo console in Japan as we tend to almost always get screwed as the home office here has since Yamauchi retired is head firmly planted so far up its ass if there was another head up top it could french kiss itself. They did it on the Cube, more on the Wii and WiiU looks to be more of the same and likely even more we miss too as it appears to be an escalating pattern.

Nintendo's actions keeps driving me to be a multi-console owner one, and two finally with how badly the Wii was handled sickened enough by their shit to actually sell off their systems which I never did before. They just don't fucking care unless it's first party and polished enough of a rehash people are happy to buy it by the millions to keep them afloat.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

This isn't 3rd party, it's a Nintendo published release.

If it was just Tecmo, I bet they'd release it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

I LOVE Fatal Frame 1, 2 and 3. I still haven't played 4.

I wish they'd all come to PS4 as a compilation. I hate the fact that Fatal Frame III is on PS2 only. I want the best versions of a series to stay on one platform or family of platforms.

Right now it's
    1 - Xbox
    2 - Xbox
    3 - PS2
    4 - Wii
    5 - WiiU

Thats literally jumping from Microsoft to Sony to Nintendo.

Put them all on Sony or else all on Nintendo. Don't put one here one there and one across the street.
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Don't forget that there's a fine remake of Fatal Frame 2 on the Wii.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I know Nintendo publishes it, but it's not their game either as you said it's Tecmo. I'm not entirely sure they'd release it since we only got an old Ninja Gaiden game awhile back and it didn't move well. That usually is the excuse. On the Wii they blew off the series, blew off Disaster, Another Story, and others. It's just a pattern of ignorance with the US branch I've just come to accept and I'd rather be surprised if they ever did the right thing anymore.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Nintendo has an ownership stake in this franchise. They're not just acquiring the worldwide publishing rights, releasing them in Japan, and otherwise sitting on it.

2nd party would probably be the most accurate term for this relationship.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 10-02-2014 at 10:09 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    Thats literally jumping from Microsoft to Sony to Nintendo.
    The series started on the PS2, it only got ported to Xbox later on. So it's really from Sony to Nintendo. Pretty much the opposite of Final Fantasy.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Now out in Japan and Tecmo's European office has tweeted that they're unaware of any plans for a localization and Western release.

Looks like they've done it to us, again.

Assholes. I bought Spirit Camera new *shakes fists* I'm owed a good Fatal Frame release dammit.
    Last edited by Daria; 10-03-2014 at 01:38 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

The series started on the PS2, it only got ported to Xbox later on. So it's really from Sony to Nintendo. Pretty much the opposite of Final Fantasy.
    The Xbox versions of Fatal Frame and Fatal Frame 2 are considered superior to the PS2 originals due to numerous enhancements. That's more so what he was referring to, I assume.

The Wii version of FF2 took it a step even further with numerous other enhancements, new areas to explore, additional endings, etc.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Don't forget that there's a fine remake of Fatal Frame 2 on the Wii.
    Isn't that just a PORT of the Xbox version?
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/