Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Fatal Frame series is back

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Nope, it has a lot of enhancements.

Enough so where it's considered a remake by the fanbase, although the leap really isn't much more than what it was going from the PS2 version to the Xbox edition. If I didn't prefer 1st person, it would definitely be the definitive edition of the game (As I recall, you can only play from the Fatal Frame 4 style 3rd person behind the character viewpoint).

Alex (Level 15) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    The Xbox versions of Fatal Frame and Fatal Frame 2 are considered superior to the PS2 originals due to numerous enhancements. That's more so what he was referring to, I assume.

The Wii version of FF2 took it a step even further with numerous other enhancements, new areas to explore, additional endings, etc.
    I know the Xbox versions are considered to be better as they came out later, but the main series was meant for the PS2. I'm not really big on extra endings either for most games, especially when sequels follow the events of previous games and only one ending is considered to be correct. Some games with added content are much better, others not so much.

I just think back to the director's cut of Broken Sword and all of the additional content was basically unnecessary filler or just crap. Additional puzzles that felt out of place and forced in, a new first chapter that's out of place and adds nothing of real value, etc. I was really disappointed with this one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

Ugh....Fatal Frame II on Wii is only in Japan and PAL regions.

Well, my Wii still runs an old enough firmware for me to have the Homebrew channel and the Gecko launcher, so I could import a PAL copy. Do any of you guys know if it plays nice with NTSC?
    check out my classic gaming review site: http://satoshimatrix.wordpress.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I played through the UK version just fine on my Wii connected to my 480i Trinitron SD CRT.

Quote Originally Posted by Gameguy View Post
    I'm not really big on extra endings either for most games, especially when sequels follow the events of previous games and only one ending is considered to be correct. Some games with added content are much better, others not so much.
    Not so much with the original Fatal Frame, although the graphics are certainly improved a bit and look better. But if you just stick with the PS2 version for Fatal Frame 2, you're missing out. 1st person viewpoint, the big extra for the Xbox version, is excellent and I highly recommend playing through it at least once from that perspective. And the PS2 perspective is also available.

The Xbox versions of the first two are definitely the way to go over the PS2 originals. They're everything that they were, but with even more polish.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 10-05-2014 at 09:30 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

It was a bugger to find for a decent price, but I own the Xbox version of Fatal Frame II.

Leo, a couple questions.

What is different/better about the Wii version compared to the Xbox build?

What controller options does it support?

You said you played it in 480i. I wonder why you would do such a thing to yourself but interlaced hatred aside, can you test your copy to make sure there's nothing weird happening on an HDTV with 480p? I love Fatal Frame, and would consider importing the UK version if and only if it supports PAL 60 which is essentially NTSC anyway. If it's a PAL 50 game then forget it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi_Matrix View Post
    You said you played it in 480i. I wonder why you would do such a thing to yourself but interlaced hatred aside
    My HDTV's scaler, for whatever reason, absolutely butchers anything that isn't HD. Definitely needs replacement by something more modern and capable, but that's why my Wii was connected to the same tv that I play Atari 2600 games on and the like (A nice Sony Trinitron). But at least it has been hooked up via component cables all these years.

It's also one reason why I love my Wii U so much since it allows me to enjoy some great Nintendo classics in widescreen at long last like Super Mario Galaxy, thanks to the Wii U itself handling upscaling for Wii titles.

can you test your copy to make sure there's nothing weird happening on an HDTV with 480p? I love Fatal Frame, and would consider importing the UK version if and only if it supports PAL 60 which is essentially NTSC anyway. If it's a PAL 50 game then forget it.
    I can certainly test it out and see what happens in 480p, although I can confirm already that it's 60 Hz only and is labeled as EDTV/HDTV compatible, thanks to a handy notation on the rear of the case insert.

What controller options does it support?
    As for controller options, it's Wii remote and nunchuck only. No Classic Controller or GameCube controller functionality despite its roots as a PS2/Xbox game and its late Wii release (At a time when gamepad options were commonplace for quality games where such a feature made sense).

What is different/better about the Wii version compared to the Xbox build?
    As for differences, the biggest one next to the obvious change to motion controls (And the Wiimote's speaker is also put to use) is perspective. You now play from a 3rd person, behind the character perspective.

Other enhancements off the top of my head include remade cut scenes, significantly improved character animation, new areas are opened up to explore that previously were inaccessible, the variety of ghost attacks is increased, a new haunted house mode for 2 player multiplayer, at least one new ending (I think there might be more), improved character models, and improved graphics in general thanks to running in the Fatal Frame 4 engine.

Had they tossed in Classic Controller/GCN gamepad options and the ability to select the PS2's fixed camera perspective or the Xbox port's 1st person perspective (My personal favorite for this franchise), there would be little reason to play the original versions.

But if you're a fan of this franchise, I definitely recommend tracking this down.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 04-22-2015 at 02:02 AM.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Yeah, it's sounding more and more like I need to track down the wii fatal frame titles. At least I'm already set up with homebrew channel.

Edit: I also kind of like motion controls for survival horror games. As much as I complained about the combat in Shattered Memories I couldn't imagine playing it with a standard controller.
    Last edited by Daria; 10-06-2014 at 12:07 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Hooked my Wii up temporarily to my HDTV and checked this out. I had no issues with Fatal Frame 2 at 480p. You should be good to go, Satoshi.
    Last edited by Leo_A; 10-06-2014 at 06:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

With Wii downloads now available on Wii U, anyone taking bets on if Nintendo of America will finally do something right and make available the already translated remake of Fatal Frame 2 on the North American eShop?

Makes too much sense...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I think it's definitely possible, also Disaster that toolbox ass Reggie blackballed from the UK and that one IS in english.

They do love to release imports and charge a mini premium over the usual price by a dollar or two. It wouldn't surprise me if Regtard would put his man pants on and allowed them finally after all these years as the expense of selling a download removes jitters over a physical release.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It's not much, but at least this provides a glimmer of hope.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/02/...v-localization

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Satoshi_Matrix

read the article. There's gonna be a fatal frame movie?! That's awesome. If the Japanese do it, it could be really good. I wonder if it'll be essentially the first game turned into a film. That could really work.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Fatal Frame U confirmed for North America later this year.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

I don't have a wiiU but this is one title I'll buy and set aside for later.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Nintendo sure is putting their marketing muscle behind Fatal Frame 5. Not a mention in their E3 Direct, nor in this new Twitter post.

Anyways, here's their new YouTube trailer for it.

Last edited by Leo_A; 06-18-2015 at 01:03 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

eShop exclusive?

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1068851

While I'll begrudgingly support them if this happens (Although I'll seriously consider importing a Wii U from the UK if it gets a retail release over there), I'm going to do an awful lot of whining if paying $60 on the eShop is my only option. There are very few franchises where I'd ever even consider such a thing. Happily, at least I have the storage room for it since I bet I have at least 25 gigs free right now (This will be a ~16 GB download).

Sadly, their idiocy is likely just going to convince them that they were right all along to ignore this franchise.

First, they localize a stupid DS spin-off that stunk, for their first attempt at it instead of one of the Wii games that people actually wanted. And now they're not only going to make sure that both arms are tied behind its back with this release by all but ignoring it, but now they're going to lop them off by making it be an eShop exclusive.

Then, they're going to wonder why the fans that spoke out so much over the years ignored this one...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Lucky Europeans...

http://nintendoeverything.com/fatal-...d-demo-coming/

How much do you want to bet that NOA makes this a $60 digital exclusive, as anecdotal evidence and NOA's reputation suggests is likely.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Digital exclusivity confirmed for North America.

"Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water, co-developed by Koei Tecmo Games, launches exclusively in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U on Oct. 22 for $49.99, just in time for Halloween. Players can download this free-to-start game and play the prologue, chapter 1 and most of chapter 2 for free. The full version of the game can be purchased as DLC directly from the Nintendo eShop or via the in-game menu."

http://wiiudaily.com/2015/08/fatal-f...ampaign=buffer

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    30 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Leo_A View Post
    Digital exclusivity confirmed for North America.

"Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water, co-developed by Koei Tecmo Games, launches exclusively in the Nintendo eShop on Wii U on Oct. 22 for $49.99, just in time for Halloween. Players can download this free-to-start game and play the prologue, chapter 1 and most of chapter 2 for free. The full version of the game can be purchased as DLC directly from the Nintendo eShop or via the in-game menu."

http://wiiudaily.com/2015/08/fatal-f...ampaign=buffer

Ouch that really bites ! Damn and i wanted a physical copy of the game to ! I guess noa doesn't have the confidence,it will sell at retail.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

They don't have the confidence that anything will sell for their tablet at this point.