Thread: Help ID these monitors please

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Help ID these monitors please

Hi All
    Sure am glad to have found this site, been browsing it all morning, kudos to the many knowledgable posters here.

First...to introduce myself. I'm a vid noob but have tinkered with pins for years and the vids I have (Outrun in a Xevious cab and a Mr. Do cocktail) have not given me much trouble beyond a steering rebuild in Outrun.

Well things have changed. Besides having had to learn EM's and rebuilding
    every board in a Stern "Pinball SS" and still fighting 6 digit displays: looks like I now have to take the plunge into monitors.

I've aquired 2 similar Poker games in countertop cabs. both 13" monitors.

1. Game-A-Tron
    Poker, craps, blackjack, acey duecy. Monitor good-board freezes up during play but game resumes after reboot. Logic Error message sometimes.
    Only marking on HV board is "PM 1718"

2. Merit Ind.
    Similar game , draw poker, slots, horse racing and something else. Board boots up and will play blind. Monitor only shows grey with horz lines.
    Neck heat seems very low , just barely glowing. Gets lots of juice to the anode (evident by the discharge) HV board saya "JETCO". Looks like some kinda Kortek from bobroberts ID page.

So. I put the GAT monitor in the Merit game and the best I can get are garbled horz. images which I assume to be sync probs. But I'm a noob remember and only guessing. Is it possible that I've mixed low and medium res here ?
    The Merit looks like seperate H and V inputs wherethe GAT runs only an H
    input tho the board header has 6 pins. I've tried every possible hookup -
    running both H and V seperately, V off, and V tied to the H pin. The best image I an get is seperate inputs with the yoke plug in the opposite header that ran the GAT.

I am quite confused but ready to take any advice that you guys can throw my way as I am commited to making the Merit game work.

All comments appreciated.
    Ben
    Last edited by blackben; 04-05-2008 at 06:03 PM.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The PCB in the Merit Ind. is a CRT 200 Rev.C. I'm hopeing this will help to determine if this is a standard or med. res. game.

Anybody ?

Ben

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Stonic. The first pic is the Game-A-Tron. Can you tell me anything about the screen shot - is this a bad sync issue....or possibly board output screwed ? i.e.MC6845P
    I have no idea what "failing to sync" should look like ???

Thanks for your reply
    Ben

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Ok, thats some good info Stonic - thank you. Don't have that IC on hand to try this tho. But a buddy is bringing over an Amiga monitor(I sure hope it isn't a 1702) tomorrow. Gonna verify if I have good board output to begin with, and go from there.

From searches - this sounds like a simple hack, any heads up you can give to make this
    work ? I'm assuming its a 1084 or a variant. Can I run the monitor as a "stand alone"
    and just tap into it externaly with the 6 outputs from my PCB or do I have to "butcher" and do the taps inside ?
    Found out today that this game is "Pit Boss" and runs seperate sync but not sure if positiveor ??