Thread: Thinking about getting a new JAMMA rig (CPS2)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Cinder6

Default Thinking about getting a new JAMMA rig (CPS2)

I'm thinking about getting a new JAMMA rig, some time in October or so. I know it's a ways away, but I wanted to find out some things first, before I start setting aside money for one.

I'll mainly be using this for CPS2 games. I don't know a whole lot about the hardware (my only experience is with my MVS), so here are a few questions:

What does swapping out a game entail? Is it as easy as an MVS (where it's just cartridge-based), or is it more involved (as in swapping motherboard(s))?

Any old JAMMA harness will do, right? So I could just find a cheap JAMMA-wired cabinet and put in CPS2 boards?

Finally, I've read some about CPS "suicide". Anybody here ever run into it? I understand that it will happen to every board, since it occurs when the battery dies, and that the only way to get it repaired is to send it in to Capcom (although, I guess Razoola has a repair service going, too, which may be cheaper and more permanent, since he gets rid of the "feature" that suicides the board in the first place). Would a good idea be to replace the 3.6V lithium battery every 5 years or so, just to be on the safe side?

If there's anything else I should be aware of, please let me know. And before anyone asks, I do know that I need the CPS2 "A" board first.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Cinder6; 04-15-2008 at 11:13 PM.
    Knowledge is Power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cinder6 View Post
    I'm thinking about getting a new JAMMA rig, some time in October or so. I know it's a ways away, but I wanted to find out some things first, before I start setting aside money for one.

I'll mainly be using this for CPS2 games. I don't know a whole lot about the hardware (my only experience is with my MVS), so here are a few questions:

What does swapping out a game entail? Is it as easy as an MVS (where it's just cartridge-based), or is it more involved (as in swapping motherboard(s))?

More or less, the "B" board sits on top of the "A" board. Sometimes you have to fiddle with it a bit, you'll get some garbage on screen due to connection issues, but it's usually easily fixed. Of course, I guess you could try cleaning the connections (novel idea, eh?...I just never have the time).

Any old JAMMA harness will do, right? So I could just find a cheap JAMMA-wired cabinet and put in CPS2 boards?

Yes and no. CPS-2 is a JAMMA setup, BUT.....you need the extra "kick harness". It's called that because most of the games it's used on were the Street Fighter series, which used the JAMMA tail for the 3 punch buttons, start, and joystick controls. Unfortunately, since JAMMA only has capability for 3 buttons (4 if you want to get picky), you need more wiring for the full button capability. Once you wire in your kick harness to your cabinet, then yes, basically it's plug and play. (Except for Dungeons & Dragons and the like....3 or 4 player games, or the verticals, Mars Matrix, Dimahoo, etc.)

Finally, I've read some about CPS "suicide". Anybody here ever run into it? I understand that it will happen to every board, since it occurs when the battery dies, and that the only way to get it repaired is to send it in to Capcom (although, I guess Razoola has a repair service going, too, which may be cheaper and more permanent, since he gets rid of the "feature" that suicides the board in the first place). Would a good idea be to replace the 3.6V lithium battery every 5 years or so, just to be on the safe side?

Yes, I've had the "pleasure". Twice now, in fact. It is repairable, but unless you REALLY like the game, it may not be worth the cost. If you bought a, say, X-Men vs. S.F. B Board, spent 60 bucks on it, and it commits hara-kiri, then you're looking at (for simplicity) $100 to repair, now you're into it for close to, if not over $200 (driving time, gas, postage, repair, original purchase). For $200, you could probably buy another cabinet....you see where I am going with this.
    As far as replacing the battery goes, I have never personally done one, but it's my understanding that if it's not done properly, you a.Void the Capcom warranty (i.e., I don't think they'll fix it anymore), and b.Lose your game anyways.
    So, is it better to wait till it dies (which it most definitely will), or chance changing the battery, and possibly losing a working game out of your collection, OR, spend money to fix an already working game, or wait till it dies and then fix it, whereas it might be cheaper just to buy another board, or just MAME (or multi-game) it? (I am not a big fan of MAME or multicades, except in these kind of cases, just IMO)

If there's anything else I should be aware of, please let me know. And before anyone asks, I do know that I need the CPS2 "A" board first.

Thanks!
    That's about all I can think of! On a good note, if you're into the SF series and the like, "B" boards are a great thing, b/c you can play 25 or 30 different games on one cabinet with an easy swap, just make sure all your boards have been battery bypassed first! Hope you pick up a cabinet, you're in for lots of fun if you do!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When you pick up a cab, just know that the CPS1 kick harness is different than the CPS2 kick harness, just an FYI. Also, some people are strongly against getting boards phoenixed, buts it the only sure fire way to make sure it doesn't suicide on you down the road. You're definitely gonna like it!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Cinder6

Thanks.

And since I don't sell games, I couldn't care less if somebody gets mad that a game's been phoenixed.
    Knowledge is Power.
    Power corrupts.
    Study hard.
    Be evil.