Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Cherry (Level 1) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    vertigoprocess

Use canned air instead, problem solved...
    Hardware Collection

Nintendo: NES, SNES (Model 1 and 2), N64, GCN, Wii, Gameboy Classic, Gameboy Pocket (Model 1 and 2), Gameboy Color, GBA, SP (Model 1), DS, DS Lite, DSI
    Sega: SMS (Model 1), Genesis (Model 1, 1.5, 2, 3), 32X, Saturn (Model 2), Dreamcast, Nomad, Game Gear
    Atari: 2600 (Heavy Sixer, Sixer, Four Switch, Sunnyvalle, Vader, JR Short rainbow, JR, Sears Four, Sears Sixer), 5200 (4 Port), 7800 PRO
    MIS.: Magnavox CD-I, 3DO FZ-1, 3DO Goldstar, TG 16, Intellivision, Action Max, XBox, 360, PSX, PS3, PSP, Wonderswan B/W, Game Com, NEO GEO Pocket Color

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Quote Originally Posted by VertigoProcess View Post
    Use canned air instead, problem solved...
    That doesn't really solve any problem.

The answer is to clean the contacts properly. If your contacts on the game are clean and not corroded to shit and you're still having issues it's the connector in the NES. Try cleaning it first, next there are ways to try and repair the connector. If all else fails, get a new one.
    Atari: 2600, Jaguar
    Microsoft: XBox, XBox 360
    Nintendo: NES, GB, GBC, SNES, N64, GameCube, GBA SP, Wii, New 3DS, Wii U
    Sega: SMS, Genesis, Game Gear, Nomad, Sega CD, 32X, Saturn, Dreamcast
    Sony: PS1, PS2, PS3
    Wanted: 7800, Neo Geo CD

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
    That doesn't really solve any problem.

The answer is to clean the contacts properly. If your contacts on the game are clean and not corroded to shit and you're still having issues it's the connector in the NES. Try cleaning it first, next there are ways to try and repair the connector. If all else fails, get a new one.
    Even with properly cleaned contacts, sometimes minor dust can prevent a reading, in which case canned air is a perfect solution.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Quote Originally Posted by o.pwuaioc View Post
    Even with properly cleaned contacts, sometimes minor dust can prevent a reading, in which case canned air is a perfect solution.
    Since cleaning my games and replacing my connector, not once has it failed to start right up the first time. However, I can see your point but that would take a lot more than "minor" dust to cause an issue. But if you honestly believe that then by all mean, canned air is a great solution as long as you don't hold it down or turn it upside down.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    vertigoprocess

Quote Originally Posted by o.pwuaioc View Post
    Wow, you you beat me to saying the exact same thing by like a second. Thank you for saving me the trouble. Haha
    Hardware Collection

Nintendo: NES, SNES (Model 1 and 2), N64, GCN, Wii, Gameboy Classic, Gameboy Pocket (Model 1 and 2), Gameboy Color, GBA, SP (Model 1), DS, DS Lite, DSI
    Sega: SMS (Model 1), Genesis (Model 1, 1.5, 2, 3), 32X, Saturn (Model 2), Dreamcast, Nomad, Game Gear
    Atari: 2600 (Heavy Sixer, Sixer, Four Switch, Sunnyvalle, Vader, JR Short rainbow, JR, Sears Four, Sears Sixer), 5200 (4 Port), 7800 PRO
    MIS.: Magnavox CD-I, 3DO FZ-1, 3DO Goldstar, TG 16, Intellivision, Action Max, XBox, 360, PSX, PS3, PSP, Wonderswan B/W, Game Com, NEO GEO Pocket Color

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    vertigoprocess

Since cleaning my games and replacing my connector, not once has it failed to start right up the first time. However, I can see your point but that would take a lot more than "minor" dust to cause an issue. But if you honestly believe that then by all mean, canned air is a great solution as long as you don't hold it down or turn it upside down.
    If it isn't a dust issue then why do you think blowing on the cart works at all? Not to mention I remember doing this when my nes and games were still new to make them work. There's no way that corrosion or a bad connector in my then brand new nes was the cause of it not working the first time. Seriously man wtf?
    Hardware Collection

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If it isn't a dust issue then why do you think blowing on the cart works at all? Not to mention I remember doing this when my nes and games were still new to make them work. There's no way that corrosion or a bad connector in my then brand new nes was the cause of it not working the first time. Seriously man wtf?
    That's probably has a lot to do with the crummy design of the front load NES :/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Quote Originally Posted by wiggyx View Post
    Why on Earth would people go out of their way to blow on cartridge contacts if it didn't produce a result?

Care to explain?
    I hate to say it but people, in general, are stupid. People do crap all the time that doesn't work, but they continue to do it.

You expell far more N2 and O2 than you do CO2, just so you know.
    Yeah, so what? I picked one. I wasn't trying to conduct a science class.

It's far more likely that the exhaled air, which has a relative humidity level of 100%, would evenly coat the contacts than a random spattering of saliva. Blow on a price of glass and let me know how much saliva is still there after the water evaporates. That small amount of moisture need only be present for a seconds. How long do you think it takes to insert the cart after blowing on it? That moisture will have a hard time escaping from two contacts pressed against each other, and as someone else already said, it only takes a very, VERY small amount to promote conductivity.
    I guess this all depends on your method of blowing on the cartridge. However, go breath on some glass and see how long the moisture lasts. Not long enough for it to be there when you get your cartridge in the NES.

Water + O2 = corrosion. Sure, saliva will hasten the process (as evidenced by my story), but is NOT a requirement for corrosion by any means.
    I never said it was.

No shit.
    What the hell is this about? None of my post was directed at you, of all this comment. Someone else mentioned "patina" earlier in the thread. I hate that word, personally. I just think people should call it what it is.

I just find it very doubtful. I've work on computers for a living. I've pulled processors, expansion card, memory modules, etc with visible dust in the connectors/sockets and they were working fine. I'm not saying it's not possible. All I'm saying is that it would take more than minor dust to prevent the connection unless you had other issues.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I hate to say it but people, in general, are stupid. People do crap all the time that doesn't work, but they continue to do it.
    Like voting

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    PolygonGTC
    PSN
    PolygonGTC
    Steam
    BlastMode7

Quote Originally Posted by Atarileaf View Post
    Like voting
    Hehe, well, for POTUS anyhow.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    vertigoprocess

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    Thanks for sharing, your story is a much appreciated contribution to this ancient thread.

However, in my original time working on this thread as well as all the years prior and the years that followed, I found that there will always been a set of gamers/collectors that will always deny the harmful effects of blowing into cartridges and live convinced that there's nothing wrong with it/that it's a completely reasonable practice to partake in.

I am completely and totally done trying to convince any last person who believes that no damage can be had from blowing into cartridges. I've had it up to here (points at a space about a foot above my head) with people who think that the procedure is harmless and that no amount of evidence says otherwise, so please don't expect any further examination of the process from me.

I'll leave the "mythbusting" to Jamie and Adam in the future.
    Well I wouldn't give up, I actually didn't even think about it being harmful intel this thread was reincarnated. I just started using canned air instead because its easier and I always have it around. But after reading this I will never blow on a cart ever again, the science makes perfect sense.

So there's still hope for stopping this practice for people that just didn't ever think about it, like me.

...And I am greatful for the knowledge.
    Hardware Collection

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Well I wouldn't give up, I actually didn't even think about it being harmful intel this thread was reincarnated. I just started using canned air instead because its easier and I always have it around. But after reading this I will never blow on a cart ever again, the science makes perfect sense.

So there's still hope for stopping this practice for people that just didn't ever think about it, like me.

...And I am greatful for the knowledge.
    Oh, I'm not saying that the science doesn't make sense on some level, but since I'm really just a layman and had no means by which to conduct anything more than a grade-school level observational experiment with the materials I had available I couldn't really support the near-endless calls for "we want more proof!" or "in order for this to be a real scientific study you need to have this many control groups and you MUST test the materials under these specific conditions!" and the waves of scientific jargon/minutia spewed at me about the way things happen at a molecular level were simply too much for me to even know how to fit into what I was doing.

All I originally set out to prove is that blowing directly from your mouth onto a video game cartridge was not a process that was devoid of some type of reaction that could ultimately be harmful to the electronics, and yet I still meet people deeply entrenched in this hobby that swear up-and-down that no long-term damage could possibly ever come from it.

If I for some massochistic reason I decided to continue this experiment longer than a few months, trust me, it would likely become some type of endless lifelong struggle akin to convincing moon-landing conspiracy theorists that that actually happened.

I deal with enough frustrating things about this hobby that this minor scientific venture was enough for me. If anybody else wants to continue the research, be my guest!
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 02-20-2012 at 11:39 AM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

^^^ might just do that. I'm on my way to local game store to pick up a dozen SNES sports titles in order to do some"sperimentin"...