Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: DP MYTHBUSTERS : Blowing in NES Cartridges

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    The difference is in the way the cartridges are inserted. Genesis cartridges, SNES cartridges, N64 cartridges, etc. are inserted vertically. That results in minimal pin bending. However, NES games are inserted horizontally and pressed down. Each time a game is pressed down into position, the pins inside the NES are bent slightly. Over time, the bending gets worse and worse until games stop working.

Am I right?
    That makes sense. But I'd imagine that would bend the pins back quite a bit, far more than tiny globs of spit would be able connect. Maybe at first it'd be enough to make a difference, though, but I guess we'll never know until someone does a real experiment.

Also, in my experience it was only certain games that needed to be blown into. Some would work fine yet others I'd have to blow in like crazy. If the pins were bent back, it should effect all cartridges equally.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by blue lander View Post
    Also, in my experience it was only certain games that needed to be blown into.
    Not all NES games use all the pins (if indeed any do), so either the internal NES connector isn't making firm connection with all of them, or individual games have dirty pins.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Just for the record, as a kid I often blew into VCS cartridges when they misbehaved, and saw positive results (at least short-term) then.

This wasn't exclusively an NES phenomenon.

And I never saw anybody blow into the cartridges before I started doing it. I just deduced that there were a bunch of contacts on the cartridge, they probably had to connect to a bunch of corresponding contacts inside the VCS, behind the mysterious dust-blocking door, and maybe some dustspeck was blocking the contact. So I'd blow, and try to blow in a way that would get past the plastic dust-guard at the top of the cartridges, as well as blowing into the cartridge slot, trying to get past the dust cover there as well.

(Edited to correct typos.)
    Last edited by NoahsMyBro; 06-05-2008 at 09:44 PM.
    "A 'Radical Centrist' ??? Isn't that like being a Take-No-Prisoners Pussy? " - Stephen Colbert
    My Resume
    My Blog

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I remember blowing into my 2600 games all the time. When the carts aren't seated right, instead of the blinking blue screen like on the NES, the 2600 gives you that hip pinstripe pattern with the high pitched whine.

I blow on my DS games occassionally. Logically, I know it doesn't really do anything, but it's just second nature at this point.

...word is bondage...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Sweater Fish Deluxe View Post
    Logically, I know it doesn't really do anything, but it's just second nature at this point.
    Hooray for gross rituals!

Some people run disk defragmenter every night, other people make sure they can be buried with their games, I suppose.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by NoahsMyBro View Post
    Just for the record, as a kid I often blew into VCS cartridges when they misbehaved, and saw positive results (at least short-term) then.

This wasn't exclusively an NES phenomenon.
    I did the same thing with an intellivision cartrige recently. It wouldn't play for anything so I blew in it and it started right up.

There seems to be a pretty large corrilation between a huge number of individuals, each of whom seems to have discovered it on their own, for this to be a placebo effect. (I'm not sure if that's the correct term in this particular case but it was used in a previous post)

On a semi-related topic. My brother once who couldn't get a NES game to work after multiple attempts, even after blowing, filled the slot with hand lotion. I got mad at him when he did it but the game worked perfectly the first try.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    There seems to be a pretty large corrilation between a huge number of individuals, each of whom seems to have discovered it on their own, for this to be a placebo effect.
    You're right, placebo effect isn't exactly the right word, what you're looking for is called "confirmation bias." There's been people who've blowed on them carts and didn't get anything, so they blew again, and in any case do you think they put the cartridge back in the same way even on their first try?

But I'm inclined to believe it's possible the myth works, but I'm just sayin'.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Could also be "spurious correlation" or possibly even non sequitur. But the point is...it sure does seem to work more often than not by more than enough people. That would be an interesting experement. Might even be a good one to submit to Mythbusters. Have they done a video game myth yet?
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    Could also be "spurious correlation"
    True!

But the point is...it sure does seem to work more often than not by more than enough people. That would be an interesting experement. Might even be a good one to submit to Mythbusters. Have they done a video game myth yet?
    I'd be interested to see if they'd take it, since - for the reason I had before - the scraping not-really-ZIF socket of the NES makes it hard to replicate results with any accuracy.

You're right, though. I think this is the bigger myth of the two, although what Frankie's testing is indeed worthwhile.

That and nothing blows up, and you know how we'll feel when they strap a stick of dynamite to an NES.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Oscuro View Post
    That and nothing blows up, and you know how we'll feel when they strap a stick of dynamite to an NES.
    That's true...but I'd be all for them blowing up a Barbie game or Legend of Kage or something though.

I think what Frankie's doing is an important part of the overall experiment. And as he said...he'd like it if somone else took up the rest. It would be great if the Mythbusters did it. Someone should submit this thread to them...it might make it to TV.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

For the record, if somebody would like to send me a clean, working toaster NES with reliable pins I'd be more than happy to stick both cartridges in them at the end of the test and see what happens.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    ...while I'm certainly committed to finishing this one month test, I should have know that doing anything of this nature on the internet would have been filled with this much general conflict, conjecture, and general stupidity.
    Fixed.

I appreciate what you're doin', Frankie.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by 5thman View Post
    Fixed.

I appreciate what you're doin', Frankie.
    btw...I think what your doing is awesome as well. Just think, the real Mythbusters get people complaining about the way they do things all the time so your in good company.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Sorry if this was answered already, But what is the best way to clean old nes cartridges? Or at least, a really good safe way?

I've used windex and a q-tip. That always seems to get it working. Is that safe?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

99% isopropyl alcohol is what you want. Windex is specially formulated to clean windows and I imagine it will leave some residue. The alcohol, on the other hand, will evaporate almost immediately.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    For the record, if somebody would like to send me a clean, working toaster NES with reliable pins I'd be more than happy to stick both cartridges in them at the end of the test and see what happens.
    But the Toaster wasn't the one that's known for reliability problems...I've got a pretty reliable (couple of) NESes, but I'm afraid I can't ship one out for free...

...on the other hand, if you were to ship out the cartridges I'll stick them any ol' place you please...no guarantees on what happens after that though ;P
    Last edited by Ed Oscuro; 06-05-2008 at 07:46 PM.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

But the Toaster wasn't the one that's known for reliability problems...I've got a pretty reliable (couple of) NESes, but I'm afraid I can't ship one out for free...

...on the other hand, if you were to ship out the cartridges I'll stick them any ol' place you please...no guarantees on what happens after that though ;P
    They're all yours man. PM me your details and I'll ship them out for testing when it's over.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

But the Toaster wasn't the one that's known for reliability problems...
    The top loader was the one known for reliability problems? Oh my, I hope I missed something.

Doesn't....
    Toaster = first version NES
    ?

Why does it seem people are making this thread harder than it needs to be?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MachineGex View Post
    Doesn't....
    Toaster = first version NES
    ?
    Toasters have slots on the top. That would make the top-loader the toaster and the front-loader the...microwave?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2600 View Post
    Toasters have slots on the top. That would make the top-loader the toaster and the front-loader the...microwave?
    A pizza oven.

Honestly though...I've always been confused by this as well.