Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Secret of Evermore: Which Version?

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

I think the only one I accidentally triggered was getting stuck in Verminator's room, and that wasn't a big deal. As I recall, you could just reset and replay that part properly. (For some reason, the first time I played, maybe I got lost, I entered Ebon Keep then walked all the way back through the secret path to the chessboard. Entered Ebon through the back, tried to leave and got stuck. I don't know if your game would be corrupted if you saved talking to the queen before defeating Verminator, but as I recall the only save point was to walk back through the secret path a third time, which sounds unlikely.)
    Losing the Windwalker was much more serious, but pretty unlikely someone would accidentally do it.

I think the other accidental one was loading a save that was made while a status-boosting spell was in effect would corrupt your stats. (it would load your normal stats, and then when the spell wears off, it would reduce and possibly underflow your stats. So you could get like 65K defense power. :P )

I recall Secret of Mana also had glitches related to saves made while stat/elemental boosts were in effect.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by fahlim003 View Post
    As noted, SFT claims the version of Nightmare Busters they plan to release is not the same and in general will be different (possibly improved) over the leaked ROM version that these reproductions have been using. To be honest, even if the aesthetic of the SFC style cartridge is more appealing, I don't think it's worth $300 especially not over the potential normal retail price the SFT release will be. Sorry to derail but even with the lengthy waiting from SFT, it makes more sense to go that route - what's the rush anyway?
    Well what people think is a "fair" price is definitely going to vary depending on a lot of factors. I think it's great that SFT is going to release a game that is somewhat different from the ROM floating around. Regardless, I was planning on having both so I'll keep my SFT pre-order as well.

Actually, it was not really so much that "I couldn't wait" for the SFT release... more along the lines of I thought the game as it was seemed pretty good as-is, the quality of the reproduction was very high and most of all it was in the style that matched my tastes. In addition, there aren't too many of these popping up all the time so when I had a chance to pick one up, I did. Lastly, once you've started collecting for the NeoGeo AES, you get a little "de-sensitized" on sticker shock for other platforms. Sure you still have to take relative pricing for a platform into consideration, but some anomalies I can make an exception for here and there.

__________________________________________________ ___

[ Severely Outdated Game Collection Pics ]
    [ My Multi-screen MADNESS!! ]

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi all, first time poster here.

I live in the UK but purchased an NTSC Super Nintendo as I believe it to be the superior machine because of the 60Hz output and the fact that there are no borders on my games. Also the tab removal mod allowing me to play Super Famicom games was a big plus point for me.

I recently found out however that PAL SNES games will also run on my system but will output in 60Hz also as it is console dependant rather than cartridge (unless of course it is PAL optimised then it will run too fast). With that in mind I have decided to purchase a PAL Secret of Evermore cartridge as I have been waiting too long for a US version to come up on Ebay at a reasonable price.

What I want to know is will a PAL SoE cartridge work on a US machine with a region converter? I know that certain games will not and give you an error message saying "This games pack is not designed for your Super Nintendo blah blah" as I found out recently when I purchased Smash Tennis and was stung for a massive 99p!! I know that Terranigma, also, is the most famous game for this experience.

I have two converters at present but will probably sell one on Ebay at some point. One is called "Game Master" and the other is called "Super Fighter (or Fire) Pro". I have no plans to do a region mod on my SNES at all.

So will it work?

Your help is appreciated.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

What I want to know is will a PAL SoE cartridge work on a US machine with a region converter? I know that certain games will not and give you an error message saying "This games pack is not designed for your Super Nintendo blah blah" as I found out recently when I purchased Smash Tennis and was stung for a massive 99p!! I know that Terranigma, also, is the most famous game for this experience.
    It will play on US Super Nintendo. Just checked it a minute ago.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi Dred

Thanks for the reply. Can I just confirm that you are using one of these bog standard region converters like the ones I have and not one of the special ones like the Honey Bee or Action Replay 2/3?

Sorry to be anal just want confirmation before I go hunt down a copy.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, I'm using just a standard Fire converter.

Cheers:]

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Lo and behold, 2 years after I made this thread I finally bought Secret of Evermore... NTSC-USA version, not PAL (UK/Aus) version as I originally intended.

The reason I decided to get the NTSC-USA version is that I found that there is a converter that allows you to play American SNES games on a Super Famicom console. So if for any reason, a Japanese gamer in the Japan in the 1990s wanted to play, science-forbid, an American SNES game, then he/she can do that. A rare breed indeed. So is the converter. In contrast, it will most likely be even more of a major bitch trying to get a PAL game running on an SFC console.

My copy of SoE includes the following:

1. Box
    2. Game cart
    3. Instruction manual
    4. Double-sided poster #1 (world map on one side, "ancient artifacts" artwork on the other side)
    5. Double sided poster #2 ("stained glass" artwork on one side, Squaresoft game advertisement on the other side)
    6. "Nintendo Power Super Power Club" fold-out advertisement
    7. Secret of Evermore Official Guide advertisement/registration card
    8. "Consumer Information and Precautions Booklet"

Am I missing anything?

Actually, I didn't realise it when I bought it, but I am missing the inner white cardboard that holds the game. Is it "flattenable" (saves postage costs)? By flattenable, I mean for example, Japanese Nintendo Game Boy Advance games where both the external box and internal cart-holder white cardboard packaging can be flattened without damaging it, and still be "built up" afterwards. Unfortunately, the SoE box is both shorter on the long side and wider on the short side so I can't use a standard SFC internal clear plastic cart holder.

I still need the Secret of Evermore guide books, I believe there are two of them. Are there anything particularly interesting in both of the guide books? For example, staff interviews, rare/uncommon artwork that can't be found anywhere else, music sheets, etc...

And I have given myself a new project: translating the Secret of Evermore instruction manual into Japanese. (wtf)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

6 months later, I have gotten myself a converter device that allows me to play American SNES games on a Japanese Super Famicom console. I bought it solely for Secret of Evermore. An interesting thing is that the Japanese seller I bought it from is or was obviously learning English using English language video games. In this particular case, Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest (USA version). With the help of, I assume, his English language teachers/tutors, he/she even "published" a mostly accurate English translation of the American FFMQ instruction manual.

Only until after I cleaned the converter using isopropyl alcohol did I notice that on the back, it says to NOT do what I just done. I don't know whether I made the situation better or worse, but thankfully it still works with both games (SOE and FFMQ), albeit with a decent amount of cart slot adjustment and rebooting.

I also recently began translating the Secret of Evermore instruction manual from English into Japanese. Needless to say, it is significantly more time consuming than the other way around (J to E) and also requires a wholly different mindset. I can do the whole manual mind you, the main issues are having natural-sounding Japanese (as a non-native and being non-fluent, that is near impossible) and time (E to J is more mentally exhausting than J to E). As for why, I just want to.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

isopropyl alcohol is what most people use and it works fine.
    Supposedly Nintendo only recommended water because they didn't want the kids drinking it or whatever stupid thing they might do that might cause someone to point blame at the one with TEH MONIES. :P