Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Secret of Evermore: Which Version?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Question Secret of Evermore: Which Version?

I mainly collect Japanese-version games of games I like. I like Secret of Evermore, but that game wasn't released in Japan.

So I have two choices: The NTSC-U/C (USA/Canada) and PAL (Australia/UK) versions.

Which should I get?

PAL version pros:
    - Super Famicom-style cart
    - Possible bug fixes

PAL version cons:
    - 50hz
    - Possible black borders (above and below)

NTSC-U/C version pros:
    - 60hz (i.e. full speed)

NTSC-U/C version cons:
    - Ugly-style cart
    - More existing bugs if the PAL version had bug fixes

I assume the Australian and UK versions are the same, apart from different regional details in the manuals.

Note: I own a Super Famicom but have no plans on getting a PAL or NTSC Super Nintendo.
    Last edited by layzee; 06-29-2008 at 07:48 AM.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

I'd go with the USA version just on the basis that it's far easier to play it on a NTSC Super Famicom. Plus the possible speed and border downgrades aren't worth it, especially when we're just talking cosmetic differences and possible differences in bugs that weren't bad in the first place. From what I remember about the bugs, you really have to go out of your way to progress in the game the wrong way.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Or if you really want to be silly buy both an NTSC and PAL copy. Then switch the cases and boards. So you have an NTSC copy in a cartridge that will match the rest of your collection. (:

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

After thinking about it deeply for three years, I have decided to get the PAL UK version.

My reasoning is as follows:

・ If I plan on playing the game (and I have in the past and I will in the future), it will be done on an emulator, with a "Secret of Evermore (Europe)" ROM, a computer, and a big HDTV. Therefore, the black border that plagues PAL games is a non-issue and my physical copy is just for collection purposes. The PAL bug fixes (if any) while nice, is also mostly irrelevant. I also deem the PAL Hz speed downgrade as insignificant.
    ・ American (NTSC-U/C) style Super Nintendo carts are fucking ugly. I don't consider myself a "style over substance" person (not that there is anything inherently wrong with style), but I find USA carts so fucking ugly to the point that I have to precede the word ugly with an expletive.

Side-note: I play my cart-based games as ROMs on emulators because:
    ・ My save files can be backed up. I can make multiple copies of save files on multiple PS1/PS2 memory cards but I can't do the same with save files on battery-backed carts. Maybe, technically, I can but it's a lot of trouble.
    ・ As a "perfect game" (or as close to perfect as it can get, taking into account time, effort and sanity constraints) gamer, my save files (and the hours I invest in them) are worth more than the physical games themselves. This point also links with the above point.

SoE-wise, my priorities are as follows:

1) NTSC-Japan Secret of Evermore. If this existed, it would make things a lot easier for me (i.e. I would have bought it by now and this thread wouldn't exist). I, for one, think this game would be worth releasing in Japan. I imagine it would be called 「エヴァーモアの秘密」 or 「エヴァーモア秘密」. If I was crazy/ingenious, I might even use a subtitle. The full title name would become 「エヴァーモアの秘密: 聖剣伝説外伝」. Like Seiken Densetsu: Final Fantasy Gaiden (for the Nintendo Game Boy), "Evermore no Himitsu: Seiken Densetsu Gaiden" might even become its own spin-off series. A spin-off of a spin-off. I would market it as "America's answer to Seiken Densetsu 2!" while pointing out the positive gameplay changes/differences (alchemy magic system, time travel ala Chrono Trigger, etc...). They can use this game in Japanese English-as-a-second-language classes to help make language-learning fun while at the same time learning American culture and hopefully not outdated pop culture. And prehistoric, Ancient Greece, medieval and future culture for that matter. Like Seiken Densetsu 2, the main character's names would be listed in the manual but blank as default in the game. In the manual, the main character's name would become 「ヒーロー」and the dog's name would be 「ポチ」. Hmm, looks like I went of on a tangent there. Back to the thread topic:
    2)
    Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    Or if you really want to be silly buy both an NTSC and PAL copy. Then switch the cases and boards. So you have an NTSC copy in a cartridge that will match the rest of your collection. (:
    Unfortunately, I do not have the tools, skills or expertise to do such a thing. I also do not wish to buy multiple copies of the game. Lastly, though I would probably be too lazy to do it, I might consider it if I did have the tools and skills.
    3) PAL-UK (United Kingdom) Secret of Evermore.
    4) PAL-Australia Secret of Evermore.
    5) NTSC-U/C (United States/Canada) Secret of Evermore.

Anything anyone else want to add before I commit to my SoE purchase?

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie2B View Post
    I'd go with the USA version just on the basis that it's far easier to play it on a NTSC Super Famicom. Plus the possible speed and border downgrades aren't worth it, especially when we're just talking cosmetic differences and possible differences in bugs that weren't bad in the first place. From what I remember about the bugs, you really have to go out of your way to progress in the game the wrong way.
    How does one go about playing a USA cart on a Super Famicom?

And if anyone knows, how does one go about playing a PAL cart on an SFC?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you're doing it strictly from a collecting purpose, wouldn't you get it CIB? Then you don't have to worry about your opinion of the cartridges being ugly. The NTSC boxes definitively look better than the PAL counter-parts, or maybe that's subjective as well.

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

doesnt the PAL version suffer from the same problems that Terranigma does? as in it wont work on an NTSC console without a rare and stupid expensive action replay that MUST be a certain later model...?

just read your above post....ya buy it then if youre not even gonna use it.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Heh, I hardly think Secret of Evermore can help anybody learn culture or history.

What I don't get is if you spent three years to make this decision, why didn't you ever confirm if the PAL version does indeed have any bug fixes or not? Personally I'd assume not until I heard otherwise. I can understand wanting to get the PAL cart for aesthetics (well, in concept; I don't think US carts are that ugly and I prefer the way they're flat and can stack or line up neatly), but if you're going to play via emulation, why play a gimped version just because it MIGHT have fixes for bugs that you MIGHT (but probably won't) come across in the US version?

As for playing SNES games on a SFC, I only have experience with the vice versa scenario, so I don't know how exactly the SFC slot is or if a SNES cart could fit in it at all. But all you'd need is a pass-through device at most. With a SNES, you don't need anything at all since SFC carts fit just fine if you remove the two plastic tabs from inside the slot.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Heh, I hardly think Secret of Evermore can help anybody learn culture or history.
    What I don't get is if you spent three years to make this decision,
    Actually, I didn't, I was just being jokingly hyperbolic.

why didn't you ever confirm if the PAL version does indeed have any bug fixes or not? Personally I'd assume not until I heard otherwise. I can understand wanting to get the PAL cart for aesthetics (well, in concept; I don't think US carts are that ugly and I prefer the way they're flat and can stack or line up neatly), but if you're going to play via emulation, why play a gimped version just because it MIGHT have fixes for bugs that you MIGHT (but probably won't) come across in the US version?
    Like I think I mentioned above, the existence or non-existence of bugs (my assumption of bug-fixing is just a general PAL assumption based on past experiences, e.g. Suikoden II), the black borders (gone via emulation), and the slight speed decrease (not noticeable for games that don't emphasise speed, probably still not noticeable even if so) are insignificant in the big picture. Certainly, back when I had an Australian Super Nintendo and an Australian Secret of Evermore, I didn't notice anything, speed-wise.

These are simply (small) factors listed to help differentiate between releases and to help my decision-making.

As for confirming whether the PAL version actually fixed any presumably existing bugs in the NTSC version, I don't actually care enough to check. I have other insignificant things to attend to. For example: http://www.digitpress.com/forum/showthread.php?t=153690

As for playing SNES games on a SFC, I only have experience with the vice versa scenario, so I don't know how exactly the SFC slot is or if a SNES cart could fit in it at all. But all you'd need is a pass-through device at most. With a SNES, you don't need anything at all since SFC carts fit just fine if you remove the two plastic tabs from inside the slot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Parodius Duh! View Post
    doesnt the PAL version suffer from the same problems that Terranigma does? as in it wont work on an NTSC console without a rare and stupid expensive action replay that MUST be a certain later model...?
    Vice versa as in playing SFC games on a SNES console? Oh, I thought you had experience in playing NTSC-U/C carts on a Super Famicom since you said it's "far easier" to do so. Maybe I misunderstood.

Anyway, it looks like I will be buying a PAL SoE without having a practical way of testing and playing the cart (same situation if I buy an NTSC-U/C SoE).

I'm fine with that. Hardly a unique situation.

just read your above post....ya buy it then if youre not even gonna use it.
    Yep, it's called collecting. Though I will be using it, just in a different and better way (think music CDs and EAC+LAME).

Quote Originally Posted by Drath View Post
    If you're doing it strictly from a collecting purpose, wouldn't you get it CIB?
    Of course, the box and instruction manual are required.

Then you don't have to worry about your opinion of the cartridges being ugly.
    Maybe so, but I still have the knowledge that the ugliness is still there, just hidden inside the box. I can't live my life whilst having that knowledge.

The NTSC boxes definitively look better than the PAL counter-parts, or maybe that's subjective as well.
    I just had a look and they all look pretty similar to me. They all use the same cover art. The only difference is the differentiation and/or the placement of the logos/text. How do you think the NTSC boxes look better?

Speaking of cover art, now that I think about it, SoE's cover art, unlike other SNES cover arts during that time, was not shit, which is surprising to me. Maybe it's because it's not a Japanese game in the first place (i.e. you can't ruin/bastardise/butcher something that doesn't exist)?

The cover art reminds me of Tenchi Souzou's (Terranigma) cover art in the sense of scale and the smallness of the human figure, relative to his surroundings (in this case, the big big-eyed bug). Which makes sense because overall, the protagonist in this game is relatively insignificant, he's just a random boy from Podunk that got caught into something that exceeds his temporal comprehensions. It is the environment that he travels in that is important, whether it's the Greek Temples (with the enigmatic background music), the hustling and bustling marketplace, the labyrinthine pyramids, or the slick and clean futuristic technological world of Omnitopia.

The bosses are figuratively just as large as the world the boy travels in, and about 20 times larger than himself, as stressed by the cover art. In that sense, it invokes the spirit of Wander to Kyozou (Shadow of the Colossus).

If Secret of Evermore was released in Japan, the illustration can take full advantage of the clutter-less, minimal logo/text landscape orientation of Japanese SFC boxes.

So I think it is to Secret of Evermore's credit that the cover art designers did not decide on a cover that consists of a badly drawn 3D model of the boy carrying a bloodstained bone while posing in an aggressive stance with an angry face, as if the same thing that pissed Kirby off also pissed him off; his dog by his side, just as angry but with more blood from shredding the person that pissed his master off (lots of rage and anger a requirement in cover art I think); and finally, a big-breasted sexy-looking (but uncanny valley territory 5 years later) female posing seductively while wearing not much. The twist of course, is that she doesn't even appear in the game. Just a cynical attempt to maximise the quantity of potential Secret of Evermore customers, I guess it works.

To Secret of Evermore's credit indeed.

And that's my second tangent.
    Last edited by layzee; 05-31-2011 at 11:35 AM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Now I didn't read everything in this thread very closely but... if it were me

I would track someone or several people down to have a reproduction cart, box and manual made in the japanese super famicom style. Possibly using the "best"/patched rom image or just the US version.

__________________________________________________ ___

[ Severely Outdated Game Collection Pics ]
    [ My Multi-screen MADNESS!! ]

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Well, what I meant by "far easier" is that it's easier for those in NTSC countries to play NTSC games, whether American or Japanese, than to get PAL games working on our systems and TVs. Like Parodius Duh! said, you'd need a specific kind of converter to play PAL games on an NTSC system or vice versa, and even then I hear that stuff is often very glitchy. I have several games that came out in Europe but not the US that I still bought in Japanese just because I'd rather deal with Japanese text than the headache of PAL games.

Although if you're in Australia, then I suppose it would be easier to stick with PAL, unless all the stuff you own is already NTSC.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by StealthLurker View Post
    Now I didn't read everything in this thread very closely but... if it were me

I would track someone or several people down to have a reproduction cart, box and manual made in the japanese super famicom style. Possibly using the "best"/patched rom image or just the US version.

Hmm, an interesting proposition. Sounds like it would take a fair amount of labour and money though.

Actually, you just reminded me that I need to buy Radical Dreamers (Chrono Trigger sequel), which is missing from my collection.

Since you seem to know a bit about reproduction carts, do you know if they sell Radical Dreamers, a Bandai Satellaview game, as a Super Famicom cart (and compatible with Super Famicom consoles), with the original Japanese text?

Probably a big ask because it's not exactly a financially viable method of making profits.

Best case scenario however, is for Square-Enix to re-release the game on a different console similar to how the digital-only Sega-Net Phantasy II: [insert character here]'s Adventure games were re-released on the PS2.

Then I don't have to go through the trouble.
    Last edited by layzee; 05-31-2011 at 12:12 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by layzee View Post
    Hmm, an interesting proposition. Sounds like it would take a fair amount of labour and money though.

Actually, you just reminded me that I need to buy Radical Dreamers (Chrono Trigger sequel), which is missing from my collection.

Since you seem to know a bit about reproduction carts, do you know if they sell Radical Dreamers, a Bandai Satellaview game, as a Super Famicom cart, with the original Japanese text?
    It might be possible, I do have a reproduction JPN SFC cart of the BS Zelda remake (no box yet though).

I'm not too thrilled about the sticker label on that Zelda cart, but that could "easily" be redone. Probably whenever I get around to sourcing someone to make a proper JPN SFC style box (but I'm in no hurry).

BTW, it's actually easier to find someone that will do the actual reproduction cartridge for you than it is to find someone that can do the artwork and print a high quality reproduction box/manual.

... and yes it can be very expensive. The reproduction Nightmare Busters I bought is up there with some of the most expensive, authentic JPN SFC games I've purchased.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

BTW, it's actually easier to find someone that will do the actual reproduction cartridge for you than it is to find someone that can do the artwork and print a high quality reproduction box/manual.
    I'm happy for someone to just transfer the Radical Dreamers ROM onto a blank SFC cart. Labels, boxes, instruction manuals are not necessary since they never existed in the first place.

I like my stuff to be physical.

... and yes it can be very expensive. The reproduction Nightmare Busters I bought is up there with some of the most expensive, authentic JPN SFC games I've purchased.
    I've never heard of Nightmare Busters. A quick search shows that NB is an unreleased Super Famicom game by Japanese developers Nichibutsu.

If it's unreleased, then how come it comes with boxes and instruction manuals like the ones shown in the photos? Or was it planned to be released but ended up not but someone managed to get a hold of the official box/manual and digital assets (e.g. artwork) and duplicated it?

Or is the whole thing (box art, game label, game manual) custom made? If so, then that's impressive and looks like the real thing (if it did exist).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Or is the whole thing (box art, game label, game manual) custom made? If so, then that's impressive and looks like the real thing (if it did exist).
    Yeah it's completely custom, original artwork and layout.

Bell (Level 8)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    5 Posts

According to this site, the only bug fix in the PAL versions was one that essentially gave the Bazooka infinite ammo in the US version.

Famicom Pirate Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'm happy for someone to just transfer the Radical Dreamers ROM onto a blank SFC cart. Labels, boxes, instruction manuals are not necessary since they never existed in the first place.

I like my stuff to be physical.

I've never heard of Nightmare Busters. A quick search shows that NB is an unreleased Super Famicom game by Japanese developers Nichibutsu.

If it's unreleased, then how come it comes with boxes and instruction manuals like the ones shown in the photos? Or was it planned to be released but ended up not but someone managed to get a hold of the official box/manual and digital assets (e.g. artwork) and duplicated it?

its an unreleased game from FRENCH developers arcade zone which super fighter team has bought the rights too and will be officially releasing (although I couldnt wait any longer and bought a repro too)....and that Nightmare Busters SFC repro is stupid expensive (and everything is 100% custom reproduction...box, manual, etc.)..... some dude had one up on ebay recently for like 400.00 bucks ...just get a US repro or sfc version repro cart only for like 40.00.....
    Last edited by Parodius Duh!; 05-31-2011 at 04:56 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

its an unreleased game from FRENCH developers arcade zone which super fighter team has bought the rights too and will be officially releasing (although I couldnt wait any longer and bought a repro too)....and that Nightmare Busters SFC repro is stupid expensive (and everything is 100% custom reproduction...box, manual, etc.)..... some dude had one up on ebay recently for like 400.00 bucks ...just get a US repro or sfc version repro cart only for like 40.00.....

There were a couple that went up for auction on Yahoo Japan (box, manual, cart, tray, card etc). Roughly 200-300ish USD a piece. That's where I got mine.

Originally these went for about 200 USD. Fudoh over at shmups was able to score 2 from that original batch. Yeah that's still pretty high, but I think it's a "fair" enough price. At 400 USD though that's just typical Ebay gouging as usual. I hardly buy anything from there gamewise anymore. Everyone just thinks their crap is gold encrusted with diamonds. lol

I also pre-ordered one from the Super Fighter Team, but it's taking them some time to roll these out. Plus I prefer the JPN SFC total package. Goes better with my collection.

Last edited by StealthLurker; 05-31-2011 at 06:39 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SparTonberry View Post
    According to this site, the only bug fix in the PAL versions was one that essentially gave the Bazooka infinite ammo in the US version.
    Cheers, at least that supports my "PAL version game fixes bugs from NTSC-U/C version game" point.

I also previously asserted that Secret of Evermore's bugs (if any, and there are), like most games, would be insignificant and rare to come across. However, after browsing SoE's game walkthroughs at GameFAQs and its associated message board, I conclude that not only are there quite a few bugs in the game (in regards to quantification, this could even be "upgraded" to some bugs), but the bugs that do exist can even be game-ending (i.e. you can no longer trigger the event needed to progress through the game).

its an unreleased game from FRENCH developers arcade zone
    I stand corrected.

Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

Secret of Evermore definitely is glitchier than the average game, and its glitches are definitely of significance. We're just lucky that they're not really easy to trigger. If you're progressing through the game like normal, you're fine, but attempting to go where you're not supposed to can be a recipe for disaster. Although based on SparTonberry's link, the European version didn't address any of those and only fixed the one glitch that didn't really matter, haha.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I also pre-ordered one from the Super Fighter Team, but it's taking them some time to roll these out.
    As noted, SFT claims the version of Nightmare Busters they plan to release is not the same and in general will be different (possibly improved) over the leaked ROM version that these reproductions have been using. To be honest, even if the aesthetic of the SFC style cartridge is more appealing, I don't think it's worth $300 especially not over the potential normal retail price the SFT release will be. Sorry to derail but even with the lengthy waiting from SFT, it makes more sense to go that route - what's the rush anyway?
    Whaddya mean invalid parameters?!

9,000 gigs of ram and it still can't answer a simple question!