View Poll Results: Has a video game ever made you cry?

Voters
59. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I cried like a baby

13 22.03%
  • Just once, but....

6 10.17%
  • Not quite, but held back a few tears

11 18.64%
  • Not really, but I have felt "moved" a few times

20 33.90%
  • Nope, games don't affect my emotions at all

10 16.95%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Has a video game ever made you cry?

Strawberry (Level 2) Streetball 21's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAges View Post
    Shenmue 1.

Ididn't cry, but the story moved me.

That's right, I brought it up.
    Same here. Especially the beginning of where they kill his dad. Also the beginning of Shenmue II when he's on the ship, heading to Hong Kong.

Oh yeah, and Lan Di will pay!!!!!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerboy View Post
    3. Zack and Wiki's ending (teared up, if you haven't played it, shut up)
    That was a good ending. I definitely wasn't expecting that to happen.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time also had a touching ending, especially when Princess Zelda took the ocarina from Link and sent him back in time to be a child again.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Blitzwing256's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    blitzwing256
    PSN
    blitzwing256

some of the dreams in lost odessey brought me pretty close, some really depressing stuff in there.(damn good story element though)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    Cloud121D
    PSN
    Cloud121
    Steam
    Cloud121D

Major Spoilers ahead......

Final Fantasy IX: Ending. I didn't cry, but it did move me quite a bit. The single greatest ending in video game history, and I just wanted to stand up and cheer at the very end. Everytime I see the ending, I always applaud with the rest of the crowd when Zidane and Garnet are reunited.

Final Fantasy X: Ending, where Tidus says goodbye. Saturday, June 1, 2002 at around 5:00 PM. I cried well into the credits, and even past them (I skipped the part where you see Tidus swim towards the screen). I don't think I regained my composure until around 5:30 - 5:45 PM.

Phantasy Star II: Nei's Death. I had already known it was going to happen thanks to being spoiled by it countless times over the years. But when I finally saw it for myself in March/April 2003, my jaw just dropped. "What the hell just happened?!" I screamed at the TV. I didn't cry, just shocked.

Phantasy Star IV: Alys' Death, and getting Megido. Again, just like Nei, I already knew it was going to happen. I still cried quite a bit. I was never a big fan of "Her Last Breath" but it playing alongside what was happening on screen changed that. Then, when you go to get Megido on Rykros, and you have to face Alys as Chaz, and the same song plays... I was literally screaming at the TV "I don't want to fight her! I can't! I won't!"

Lost Odyssey: Several of the flashbacks (most notably, the first one with the girl at the inn), and Kaim's daughter's death. I actually stopped playing after the funeral, just because that was such an amazing scene, and so heartfelt, and played with your emotions so well, I was afraid the rest of the game couldn't match it. I'm sure it will though, as I do plan on resume playing it pretty soon.

Metal Gear: Guns of the Patriots: Raiden's Ending. Raiden is my single favorite character out of the entire series (SoL Raiden, though GotP Raiden is a close second), and finding out about Rose and Campbell is what drove me to keep playing. It pissed me off as well. I wanted to know what Raiden thought. And to see Raiden sacrifice himself for Snake against Arsenal Gear was great (though the voice acting was kinda poor). I was afraid he was dead, and I just about stopped playing. But I kept going, just because I knew they wouldn't kill off one of the most important characters that stupidly. And to hear him call out Rose's name made it even better, as it proved he still loved her. Then to find out Raiden was alive, and help Snake make to GW's core on Arsenal Gear, had me on my feet.

When it got to his ending, I was happy to see him human again, and then to see Rose come up, I just thought "Oh great, she's just here to see how he's doing", but I was still happy to see them together again. Then the revelation....

I cried, I cheered, and I was the happiest man alive. Seeing Raiden have a happy ending was amazing. That was all I cared about the whole game was Raiden. All I wanted was for him to be happy. To find out she faked everything for the sake of protecting their child, and to protect him stunned me, and had me in tears. And seeing them all together in the mirror just made me stand up and cheer. Raiden was finally happy. Free from the Patriots, and together with the woman he loved for so long, and his son John.
    Last edited by Cloud121; 07-03-2008 at 12:18 AM.
    My Game Collection
    "I am only what you see me as." - Obsidian Rose

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Never cried, but the closest I got was the ending of Persona 3. Probably because you get to know everyone so well in that RPG... and then.. *sigh* Probably would have cried but I beat the game in front of my roommate/best friend and there would be no end to hearing about that.

Also was moved by FFX. Everyone was pretty much lovable in that one so it was a hard goodbye.

Also same for FFVIII, except only Selphie and Rinoa were lovable. Still, the ending, and especially the ending theme "Eyes on Me", were quite dramatic and melancholy. Excellent ending though.

Super Moderator Moderator
    Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    111 Posts

When I was an emotional teenage girl, a few RPGs made me shed a couple tears. The ending to Lufia II since I hadn't been spoiled by the first game, a few different parts in Chrono Trigger, etc. These days I occasionally get a little choked up by some especially moving parts in games, but no crying.

But just a year ago or less I watched the final episode of David the Gnome for the first time ever, after not seeing the show since my childhood, and it turned me into complete mush. Go figure.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

The end of Metal Gear Solid: 3 got me this close to crying: I had the lump in the throat, the blurry vision, the trembly lip...

The 'good' ending of Bioshock got me good, too. It just seemed right, to me, and left me immensely satisfied. Very well done.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Panzer Dragoon Saga

One of the greatest, most emotional and inspirational, yet heart wrenching endings ever created.

***SPOILERS***
    The end of this game had me balling like a baby. It really parallels the characters from the Berzerk anime and manga. Edge and Azel work for opposing sides and are enemies. They fight each other several times during the game and eventually wind up alone together and have to work with each other to escape. Then slowly throughout the game they start to understand what each is trying to accomplish and they grow closer to each other (similair to Guts and Casca). Just before you enter Sestren at the end of the game, Edge and Azel say their goodbyes because they don't know what is going to happen. They dont know if they will ever see each other again. That scene where they say good bye gets my blood pumping, my heart pounding, and tears start to form. But NOTHING can prepare you for the ending scene after the credits! Thats when I always let go and sob like a little baby.
    *** END SPOILERS***

I still curse SEGA to this day for creating one of the most beautiful, touching, cliff-hanger endings ever told. Instead of giving us a huge, over blown, epic, ending... *cough* Final Fantasy *cough*... SEGA chose to write the story and show us the last page and just as you were reading the final paragraph they turn out the lights! Sometimes Less is More and this is a prime example. It still tears at my heart 10 years later!
    If a god is willing to prevent evil, but not able, then he is not omnipotent. If he is able, but not willing, then he must be malevolent. If he is both willing and able, then why is there evil? If he is neither able or willing then why call him a god?

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmmm...

While I have been moved the only times I have cried are in frustration...Landstalker...oh so great but the controls....Oh My God...it still irks me...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I like this thread, but it's getting dangerous for me to read. Two different people have discussed the endings of two different games that I'm about to play, and I had to avert my eyes as quickly as I could before the ending was ruined.

A video game has only made me cry once, and that was the ending of Earthbound. Oddly enough, I've beaten Earthbound at least five times (probably more), and it only made me cry once--the second-to-most-recent time I beat it.
    Feedback thread here

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    rhettoric
    PSN
    rhettoric

Never cried, but there's been a few instances of deep emotion. The beautifully rendered ending of NiGHTS and many different sequences from FF7.

Oh, and Astal gets me choked up too - such a tenderly told storybook of a game.
    Last edited by grolt; 07-03-2008 at 01:34 PM.
    "Enduro" is a symbolic journey through life via the media of a race.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

How could anybody not cry at the ending of Fantasy Zone?

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

When I was like 6 and would replay a hard part over and over and never won, I'd get frustrated and cry. My mother would be like "ok thats enough, shut it off."

Other than that I never cried because of a storyline or anything like that. I did feel some form of emotions when reading some of the flashbacks in Lost Oddysey. Other than that, I never really got too emotionally involved in any games story line. RPGs, I'd say, would probably have the most affect on people due to its story driven nature.

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The first time I beat Ninja Gaiden for the NES I went on my hands and knees, thanked God and cried like a woman.

Videogames never made me cry although I played a lot of RPGs. Probably it is my age. The older you get life pokes a lot of holes in your heart. 'Emotional' game situations pale in comparison to real life problems and sufferings.

Videogames are still more about challenges than emotinal identification with the story. Movies and novels make me cry sometimes.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by calgon View Post
    ...I remember finishing that right before I took my sociology final my freshman year in college and actually having a lump in my throat the entire time.
    That sounds like how I used to study for finals as well
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Zeno2112

No. Although I used to make my younger cry all the time when I'd on the ol' Atari 2600. He never minded losing to me on Combat so much, but Indy 500 was technically his cart, and it drove him crazy that I pwn3d his mewling 10-year-old ass .

Usually the emotional cycle I feel at the end of a game goes something like:

"I beat it! Yay!"
    "Whew..."
    [emptiness]
    "What's next?!"

Pretzel (Level 4) miaandjohnrule's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    OriginalRope

Damn, There are a ton of spoilers floating around in this thread. Video games have never made me cry but I have been moved by several over the years.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

It was Klonoa: Door to Phantomile for me.

SPOILERS!!!!

During the end sequence, when Huepow got seperated from Klonoa, and the music that played during that sequence...no matter how many times I see it, it makes me cry. It was so touching yet so sad, it was one of the few moments I have ever cried...and I cried like crazy, nearly non stop. It was hysteria...

*sniff*
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

mostly just in anger when I was younger and would fail. I have felt moved (even near to tears) by games before

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    E Nice Geo

When I first played Snatcher, Harry's death. Yeah, it was a cliched death scene but it did what it was supposed to. It didn't make me cry but had that feeling in my throat.
    Murk: We will bring you Bob Barker. We will bring you the limp and beaten body of Bob Barker! - BTVS