Thread: Bang the Machine

Great Puma (Level 12) Gamereviewgod's Avatar
    Toledo, Ohio and likely writing a review.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Gamereviewgod
    PSN
    Gamereviewentity
    3DS Friend
    3136-6571-2996

Default Bang the Machine

I remember reading about this in a magazine (I believe GMR). Supossedly, it's a DVD about Street Fighter II tournaments in the early 90's. I can't find it anywhere, not even E-bay. Anyone have it/know where I can get it???

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Re: Bang the Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Gamereviewgod
    I remember reading about this in a magazine (I believe GMR). Supossedly, it's a DVD about Street Fighter II tournaments in the early 90's. I can't find it anywhere, not even E-bay. Anyone have it/know where I can get it???
    I don't believe BTM has been released on DVD yet; a friend of mine saw it at a film festival in San Fran a couple months ago, so it's probably still making the film-fest rounds. I'm very curious to see it myself, as the hardcore fighting-game guys -- with the welcome exception of Jason Wilson, a really nice guy -- are a little wacky and a little scary. Perhaps not shocking, as their primary interest is in "virtually" beating the shit out of people.

-- Z.

Cherry (Level 1) Eternal Champion's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

the hardcore fighting-game guys -- with the welcome exception of Jason Wilson, a really nice guy -- are a little wacky and a little scary. Perhaps not shocking, as their primary interest is in "virtually" beating the shit out of people.
    Very astute! I'm glad someone else out there noticed that. It got really bad when MKII really took off--I would go to arcades and see puffed-up testosterone-overdosed thugs trying their hardest to look threatening crowded around a machine, plunking their quarters down...I'd look at the round number, and it would be "75"...ugh.
    I just wanted to play the game. Luckily, they had Samurai Shodown on a big screen, and once in a while someone would interrupt my game, and I usually thwarted their attempts.

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Heh, I thought this was going to be a thread about people who get pissed playing games and rock the machine back and forth out of rage. I seen one arcade regular do it all the time on the SFII machine.

Cherry (Level 1) Eternal Champion's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Back to the topic at hand, banging the machines--

I got into Samurai Shodown in 1993-94 in the gameroom at the student union at UW Milwaukee. A narrow hallway off the bowling alley, it was a grungey thing off by itself. Once you left the pool floor it was like another world...usually 1 or 2 punters banging away. That NEO-GEO machine got so much abuse from us punk kids, and it was always the same group of punks...Nick & George, wherever you are...cigarette burns, melted plastic from placing a burning ciggie on the panel while we played...we beat the console up so much we were able to lift up the control panel and click the credit switch!! Regardless, I still spent gobs of dough on that game, it was 25c a game...man oh man, THOSE WERE THE DAYS!! I think they still have some games there, but that old machine is long gone, but they still have the NEO GEO MVS with Metal Slug and Bust a Move.

They also had various versions of SFII, including the original SFII...I think I bruised my hand from banging on that fucker...