Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Multi-Platform Console System done (Phase 1: N64)

Retro game console modder bacteria's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Multi-Platform Console System done (Phase 1: N64)

I have created a portable console system which is a console system of two halves, one half contains a PSone screen, joysticks and button controls, the other half is the console system which inserts into the screen section like a large cartridge, in a way so that both parts interact with each other.

This system is currently complete with a modded N64, I will be making other systems like SNES, Megadrive, SMS, Jaguar, Gamecube, Playstation 1 also integrate into the same base unit over the next months.

This is a unique system as it makes console systems integrate into a base unit like large cartridges...

Please have a look at my website to see a video of the system and how it works, and to see step-by-step guides to making such a system.

www.modded-by-bacteria.com

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default hmm...

Very cool. I have some doubts as to how well it will control, and may have chosen a different color, but I couldn't have done it so...very cool...

The N64 controls should work for all those other systems too. Is that why you started with the N64?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The shell looks very nice so far.

Nintendo and Sega use totally different analog technology from Sony and Microsoft.
    That might complicate things a bit.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    GnawRadar

I agree that it is very cool and it is a good starting point. It looks a little unfinished but I'd like to see what else you can blend together to get some cool creations. Out of curiosity, what are the dimensions? Obviously it won't be as small as a DS or PSP, but I'm just curious to how big it actually is.

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When you described it as having a joystick, I imagined something like and actual arcade stick that you would play with it sitting in your lap or something. I think that might have been a better design to go with given how large this thing is. It can't be very comfortable to hold. The Lynx I was bad enough.

It's a great idea, though. Have you seen the OneStation system? It's basically the same idea, but they only released a few system architectures for it and most of them (other than Genesis) had built in games instead of a cartidge slot for games. Coule have been really really cool, though. I wish that they'd at least put out Atari 2600 and Master System carts for it, either of which could have been done easily.

...word is bondage...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Trebuken - The joystick used is a generic one, a pot, which is used in almost all joystick conrollers, including PS1, GameCube, PS3, etc.

The colour of the system is quite neutral, as it had to compliment the colours of all the various controls.

Kedawa - No issues, as I used a third party N64 controller (see my site, in "Modded Components"). Joystick can be used for any console using a joystick.

GnawRadar - Without CNC equipment or vacuum forming equipment, this is about as good as you can make a system by hand. Dimensions (system designed to take full-sized console boards): 27cms x 21.5cms. Considering everything the system has inside it, it can't be less wide.

Sweater Fish Delux - A joystick is a joystick, the ones used here are the same as you use in your console controllers (Xbox, whatever). It is comfortable to hold and use the joysticks and controls - it was designed to be so! Using a large arcade joystick would be crazy for this.

OneStation is just a restricted emulator system, it doesn't use original console hardware and game cartridges.
    Last edited by bacteria; 07-09-2008 at 12:40 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

awesome work cant wait to see more systems interface with this thing! Also i love the detailed guides on how to do all of the necessary mods to create your own.
    For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

DP Feedback Thread
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ight=mrsparkle

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is brilliant!

I think it's fantastic that you can sit down with some tools and old consoles and build such a cool handheld/portable system - the idea of making it a "multi-console" unit is doubly impressive. It's old-school hardware hacking in the noblest tradition, and bloody wonderful! I can't wait to see the next console addition!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

manage to tack a 32x, or sega cd on this thing and youll have at least one potential customer . btw the fact that your going to include jaguar rocks. though i can't imagine how your going to cope with a 17 button controller haha.
    For lucky best wash, use Mr. Sparkle.

DP Feedback Thread
    http://www.digitpress.com/forum/show...ight=mrsparkle

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ElPrivon

im intrigued by the ingenuity of it all despite its impracticality, im liking this alot lol got a thing for ideas that are so crazy they're brilliant, keep us posted

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by EX-Soldier View Post
    im intrigued by the ingenuity of it all despite its impracticality, im liking this alot lol got a thing for ideas that are so crazy they're brilliant, keep us posted
    Inretrospect to this above "immortal" (), I am also intrigued by the inhostel and impeccable acts of immoral idears of empathy?????????????

Banned

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    ElPrivon

Quote Originally Posted by Tommy View Post
    Inretrospect to this above "immortal" (), I am also intrigued by the inhostel and impeccable acts of immoral idears of empathy?????????????
    owned???

Luigi (Level 20) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts

Brilliant idea! Good luck with it!!
    My Gaming Collection (Now at Google Drive!)

Apple (Level 5) Sweater Fish Deluxe's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by bacteria View Post
    OneStation is just a restricted emulator system, it doesn't use original console hardware and game cartridges.
    Actually, the OneStation doesn't use emulation at all. Very much like your design, the main unit is just a screen and controls with all of the hardware coming on the game cartridges themselves.

Theoretically, any system could be plugged into the cartridge port, though making a cartridge that contained the guts of an actual system (instead of the on-a-chip architectures used in the released OneStation carts) and had a real cartridge port (or CD drive?) would make it pretty huge compared to the OneStation system itself.

...word is bondage...
    Last edited by Sweater Fish Deluxe; 07-09-2008 at 04:08 PM.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

The paint job looks very ... custard-y.

Almost makes me hungry for cream-filled-pastries.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by MrSparkle View Post
    manage to tack a 32x, or sega cd on this thing and youll have at least one potential customer . btw the fact that your going to include jaguar rocks. though i can't imagine how your going to cope with a 17 button controller haha.
    I'm not selling the system - takes hundreds of hours to make it - literally!

I tried some Jaguar games on Jaguar hardware, I did a simple mod to wire the video plug into composite and audio cables to go into my television. I was really disappointed by the quality of the games and graphics, the only game I really liked was Wolfenstein, so for my Jaguar system I will hard-wire the game cart to the system. I have enough buttons on my system to work all the controls and extra ones for the Jaguar keys like save for the game. I had thought of making buttons out of the back for the many Jaguar buttons, or making the system half stick out 2cms more at the top of the case by making the alteration to the system case section, which would house all the extra buttons, (an add-on) but there isn't much need for this when I only like one game on it!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Made a case for the case, uploaded details on my website!

I am pleased so many people like my system, thanks!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Uploaded a short video playing the N64 game of Pokemon Puzzle League on my system, thought you might be interested. This game uses the D-pad, which is not usual for the N64:

YouTube link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-WMl4OEGnA

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

It would be cool if the yellow stick could act as an extra N64 analog stick, so you could play games that use dpad+analog control schemes, like Bangai-O.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by kedawa View Post
    It would be cool if the yellow stick could act as an extra N64 analog stick, so you could play games that use dpad+analog control schemes, like Bangai-O.
    Would be very easy to do, however I have never played a game that needs to use the D-pad and joystick at the same time.