Thread: Atari 2600 Zellers games not in DP guide?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Default Atari 2600 Zellers games not in DP guide?

I found a couple of 2600 carts today that do not appear to be listed in the DP guide. Upon closer examination, they're all Zellers games, as listed at http://www.atariage.com/company_page...mFilterID=2600 - but most of the ones listed there aren't in the DP guide at all. Is there some reason why that is, or is it just because they're unlicensed pirates?

FYI, the games are all loose, but I'd be quite willing to sell them if anyone's interested. (Time Warp is sort of spoken for already.)

"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Insert Coin (Level 0) Omegamatrix's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Yeah, they are all Zellers games. I didn't see then in the guide either, but maybe I'm looking in the wrong place. FYI there are 18 Zellers titles, going by the boxes alone. AtariAge has the entries misplaced for Sea Hawk and Scuba Diver under PAL (they are NTSC). I seem to recall an entry in DP's guide for Tank City as a Zellers cart, but this is incorrect. I own this particular cart and it is PAL, and not released by Zellers.

The thing is these style of carts were released all over the world, but mostly in PAL countries. What makes a Zellers cart a Zellers cart is it is NTSC and came with a box with Zellers printed in the top right corner. And, oh yah they were sold in Zellers stores.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by Omegamatrix View Post
    I seem to recall an entry in DP's guide for Tank City as a Zellers cart, but this is incorrect. I own this particular cart and it is PAL, and not released by Zellers.
    Yup, and Time Warp is in there as a non-US "Funvision" cart.
    "There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge." --Bertrand Russel (attributed)

Insert Coin (Level 0) Omegamatrix's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Funvision, Ultravision, K-Tel, 2600 Compatible, Zellers, Hi-Score / Action Hi-tech, etc.. are all connected under the big umberalla of Bit Corp.

In Canada Funvision carts were released in a baby blue box. These are extremely rare carts, and exceptionally hard to find in the box. The make Zellers titles look as rare as Combat carts. Anyhow Time Warp was released by Funvision. I can confirm this as I scanned my box for Atarimania.

http://www.atarimania.com/detail_sof...D=15454&MENU=2

Notice the Halley's Comet label underneath. This was only from the Funvision carts sold in Canada.

Time Warp was also released by Zellers of course. Much easier to find then the Funvision one, and IMHO a hidden gem in the 2600 library.