Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGenesis View Post
    *Bow Down*

I have always wanted a Sharp X68000
    The X68k had many great games and did many ports the best.
    With normal side scrolling and vert scrolling arcade games, the X68k does conversions/posts the best, and much closer to perfect than any of the consoles. R-Type X68K is not of the highest quality, it could've been better, but is still closer to the arcade than the PCE / TG-16 HuCard or PCE CD versions.

One look at Street Fighter II Champion Edition though, would put to rest any doubts about X68K ability, as that game is near-exact to the arcade, closer than the Saturn or PlayStation versions that came out years later, and it's the PS1 version that we have on Capcom Classics Collection for Xbox, PS2 and PSP.

However with Sega's 'SuperScaler' 2.5D games such as Space Harrier, Super Hang-On, AfterBurner II and Thunder Blade, the X68K is not able to do perfect ports, since it lacks a 2nd 68000 processor and the bittler/scaling chips of Sega's highend 16-bit arcade boards, but X68K still does very good translations, much better than what the MegaDrive/Genesis could do with same (or similar) games, and also better than what the Amiga could do, and especially FAR better than what the Amiga usually got (slightly upgraded ports of Atari ST games).

ON TOPIC,
    I am looking forward to getting this on my Xbox 360. I cut my teeth on R-Type for the Turbo Grafx-16 as a child - paid $70 for it back then and played it for months non stop… best $70 i spend!
    Yes R-Type for TurboGrafx-16 was a killer app, and indeed it cost $69.99, even years after release. In 1991 it was still that expensive, maybe even in 1992. I was fortunate enough to get mine for free, for puchasing a TG-16 in fall 1990. Like Sega, NEC had those free game rebate things, and surprisingly, R-Type was one of the choices. I had a very merry Christmas in 1990 because UPS delivered it on the afternoon of Christmas Eve! What a treat that was.

It would be nice to see some X-Multiply on the XBLA too (wishful thinking)
    Yep. As of now, X-Multiply is only on Japanese PS1 & Saturn along with Image Fight.

I would really love to get Konami's Xexex on XBLA, that was a stunning game, better than R-Type II or R-Type Leo IMO. Doubtful Xexex will ever come home (maybe it was released on PSP in Japan?).
    Last edited by parallaxscroll; 12-07-2008 at 05:39 PM.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Quote Originally Posted by parallaxscroll View Post
    Yes R-Type for TurboGrafx-16 was a killer app, and indeed it cost $69.99, even years after release. In 1991 it was still that expensive, maybe even in 1992. I was fortunate enough to get mine for free, for puchasing a TG-16 in fall 1990. Like Sega, NEC had those free game rebate things, and surprisingly, R-Type was one of the choices. I had a very merry Christmas in 1990 because UPS delivered it on the afternoon of Christmas Eve! What a treat that was.
    R-Type was the only one never to drop in price. Ordyne and Space Harrier were at first $69.99 but those price were reduce after a while and I was able to get both at $39.99 each and in the summer of 1991, I break down and buy R-Type (as well as Alien Crush @ $19.99) for full price. I was not lucky to get a free game in those promotions as I bought my TG-16 originally in the spring if 1990 for a whopping $199.99 at K-Mart - (I did get two free SMS games - Ys and Spellcaster - when I bought my Power Base Converter back then)

Quote Originally Posted by parallaxscroll View Post
    Yep. As of now, X-Multiply is only on Japanese PS1 & Saturn along with Image Fight.

I would really love to get Konami's Xexex on XBLA, that was a stunning game, better than R-Type II or R-Type Leo IMO. Doubtful Xexex will ever come home (maybe it was released on PSP in Japan?).
    I only finally got to play X-Multiply on the Arcade Gears disc on the Saturn about 5 years ago… and it was quite a pleasant discovery as I did not know of the game prior.

As for Xexex, it would be nice to have this game on home console. It is included in Salamander Portable for the PSP, but the d-pad on PSP can have issues (though mine seems to be fine other have complained about theirs)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

R-Type Dimensions for February
    Tozai's HD revival gets Xbox Live date.
    by Martin Robinson, IGN UK

UK, February 2, 2009 - R-Type Dimensions, the HD revival of the classic 2D shooter series, has been confirmed for a global release and is expected to land on Xbox Live Arcade later this month.

Developed by Tozai, the game is an HD remix of R-Type I & II, adding online co-op to the mix as well as the enhanced visuals. Shoot The Core carried word of the release date, and Microsoft has since told IGN that the game is on schedule for a European release, and that precise timings will be unveiled later today.

The game was looking in good shape on the floor of last year's Tokyo Game Show, where we managed to grab a brief hands-on.
    http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/950/950021p1.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I was going to get this until I heard it was 1200 points.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    Parallax-Scroll

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/950/950114p1.html

R-Type Dimensions: History Reborn
    Tozai talks with IGN about doing justice to a classic.

by Erik Brudvig

February 2, 2009 - R-Type Dimensions will release this Wednesday, February 4 on the Xbox Live Arcade at a price of 1200 Microsoft points. We first took a look at the game back in October at the Tokyo Game Show where the first concrete details were handed out, but since then have not heard much on the classic remake. With the impending release, IGN recently spoke with a few key members of Tozai, including Sheila Boughten, President, Scott Tsumura, Chief Advisor, and Brett Ballow, Executive Producer, about the studio's history with R-Type and what we can expect out of the download.

R-Type is an arcade shooter that was first released to arcades way back in 1987. It came to be known as a classic, thanks in no part to its legendary difficulty. Its follow-up, R-Type II, saw a more limited release in the US a couple of years later. Both games have been ported to numerous systems over the years, most recently to the Nintendo Wii's Virtual Arcade. R-Type Dimensions is not a simple port, however.

Shiny new graphics.
    Tozai was founded in 1996 but originally only focused on IP licensing between Japan, the US, and Europe. "A couple of years ago we decided that we wanted to move into developing games, particularly for online and Microsoft services," said Boughten. Those years have not been put to waste. While most Xbox Live Arcade games have a development cycle that is much shorter and cost effective than full retail releases, Tozai has been working on R-Type Dimensions for over two years.

Such an investment makes releasing R-Type on a smaller service such as the XNA Community games impossible, but it also means R-Type Dimensions won't be a quick and dirty port -- something the Live Arcade has been plagued with. The team's history with the franchise drove them to make something that the old fans would enjoy while still having the flash to draw in new gamers

"I always loved the franchise just because it was so well designed and looked so beautiful," said Ballow after recounting his near failure to finish college because of the game. Purchasing his own arcade cabinet was the only way Ballow could avoid flunking out, he claims. Tsumura has an even more involved history with the franchise. Tsumara, who has been working in the videogame industry since 1978, followed Ballow's story by telling IGN, "Coincidentally, when I was in Japan I worked for Irem Corporation, the IP holder of R-Type, and I was involved in R-Type development and also mainly sales."

And so, after years of work, R-Type Dimensions is nearing release. The package contains both R-Type and R-Type II, both with completely reworked visuals. There is now an option for on-the-fly swapping between the original, classic 2D graphics and the all-new 3D look. Just hit a button and you can move back and forth from one look to the other without pausing the game -- a first for the Live Arcade.

Tozai has also added a co-operative mode for two players that can be played locally or online. "It doesn't really make it any easier," says Ballow. The co-op mode is good for casual or first-time gamers because it makes the experience less overwhelming. R-Type is a classically hard game and the team hasn't changed that formula -- all of the enemy patterns remain intact -- though an infinite continue mode has been added for those who simply can't beat the game on limited credits.

Tozai is also hard at work on another classic remake, Lode Runner. Development on that game is going well, we're told, with the work nearing completion. Be on the lookout for more news on that release in the near future.

Kirby (Level 13) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man, that looks gorgeous. I haven't seen a remake look this sweet in 2D detail since Ultimate Ghosts N Goblins. Yet I agree, that price tag is ouch.
    These cartridges are dirty as hell and I'm not going to take it anymore!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Quote Originally Posted by norkusa View Post
    I was going to get this until I heard it was 1200 points.

It won't stop me

I support all shooters to come out…

and for me,
    1200 points($15) <<< $70
    I gladly paid $70 for the TG-16 back in the days, I'll submit and pay 1200 points…

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Considering the amount of work this must've taken, $15 sounds just about right. I'm looking forward to this release. I'm not especially a fan of the series, but I enjoy shooters and will gladly buy it.

Peach (Level 3) Princess-Isabela's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

question remains, will you spend $15 on it,
    it feels a bit steep for sure.
    especially when classic shmup like Ikaruga was $10...
    I bought it already, but probably many people won't and it will drop in price soon.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Princess-Isabela View Post
    question remains, will you spend $15 on it,
    it feels a bit steep for sure.
    especially when classic shmup like Ikaruga was $10...
    I bought it already, but probably many people won't and it will drop in price soon.
    Yeah, spending $10 on Rez and Ikaruga is a no-brainer but I just can't pull the trigger on a $15 R-Type. I had no problem buying SF2 HD Remix for $15 since I'm a big fan but $15 for a shump seems kinda steep for just a casual R-Type fan like myself.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I played the trial vers. earlier today and I have to say, it fits up there with SF2 HD Remix. Hands-down, a fantastic remake!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Word on the street is that this game has 'inverted controls'? - also, controls CANNOT be configured.

Can anyone tell what button does what?

I'm plan on playing on arcade stick and I am curious if the button config will work out.

Thanks to those who are able to shed light on what could be a serious issue…

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by TurboGenesis View Post
    Word on the street is that this game has 'inverted controls'? - also, controls CANNOT be configured.

Can anyone tell what button does what?

I'm plan on playing on arcade stick and I am curious if the button config will work out.

Thanks to those who are able to shed light on what could be a serious issue…

A or LT = Fire
    B or RT = Rapid Fire
    X= Call/Recall the pod
    Y = switches between 2D/3D mode whenever you want

Yes, it's true, the game's control config cannot be altered.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    ubersaurus

I've no idea what inverted controls would mean for this game. Up is up, down is down.
    Check out the Kleppings!
    Make Way For Madness!
    "9 is a poor man's 11, and 11 is a Baker's Ten."
    Infinite Lives

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Sonic R 0
    PSN
    SONICr

Quote Originally Posted by MegaDrive20XX View Post
    A or LT = Fire
    B or RT = Rapid Fire
    X= Call/Recall the pod
    Y = switches between 2D/3D mode whenever you want

Yes, it's true, the game's control config cannot be altered.
    Thank You! It looks as if that will work out ok with the arcade stick. I can see where it could pose an issue on the controller though…

Quote Originally Posted by ubersaurus View Post
    I've no idea what inverted controls would mean for this game. Up is up, down is down.
    By inverted, I meant like switched around - like how Mega Man Collection is on the Gamecube or Alex Kidd in Miracle World… where the outer button is the action button and the inner button is the secondary button.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Man the high def graphics are bad ass. It looks like a really great remake. I feel guilty playing in infinate mode. Trying to beat it on the original settings was where the stripes were earned.

15 is steep but seeing how the brand isn't a every six month rerelease I think it is worth it.
    neo geo system

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When it hits $10, I'm there.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I personally don't like the 3D graphics at all. It might have to do with that R-Type didn't have the best 2D sprites either to serve as a base. But a lot of the models just look like quickly extruded shapes that really lack in the depth department. Maybe it's just not my taste.
    Wii: 8285 8147 1575 6278

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been enjoying the first game a good bit, but R Type II is just as meh as I remember it

Hopefully a patch comes out at some point that allows players to remap controls. Such a silly omission and considering the Hori FightingStick EX2 is pretty much the most popular 360 stick, it's silly to force the players to play with the preset configuration. It's still usable, but I'd much rather be able to use B for fire. Both Trigger Heart Exelica and Ikaruga supported remappable controls...so...yea...

Slowly relearning the game on infinite mode and hoping to be able to work out a 1CC on Classic mode. Don't know if I'm ever going to really put the time into doing the same for the second game, because I've never really liked it. The first game gets points for nostalgia and I really loved both Delta and Final, but the rest of the R Type games really aren't my cup of tea.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The game looks great. Truthfully, $15 isn't too bad for a double pack Live Arcade game like this. Still, after playing the demo, I decided I didn't want to buy the full version.

R-Type just isn't my series. I never played an R-Type game until R-Type Final. While R-Type is a good shooter series, my tastes run more toward games like Gradius, Darius Twin, Raystorm, Thunderforce, and Strikers 1945. R-Type is a bit more slow and deliberate than I like my shooters.

But I would have probably gone ahead and purchased it had I not already had the R-Types disc for the PS1. I like the disc, but I don't play it much. I decided I'd save the $15 and just play the PS1 disc, even though the remixed graphics called to me with such a sweet siren song.

But when I found out Raiden Fighters Aces was being offerred for pre-order on Amazon for $30, I couldn't put in my pre-order fast enough.