Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New PS3 firmware fiasco (2.42)....has it affected anyone here?

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

No problems here. My girlfriend and assorted guests have played thirty hours or more since the update and everything is A-OK.

Banned
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    bow to postulio
    PSN
    MofoicDisaster

Quote Originally Posted by Frankie_Says_Relax View Post
    For what it's worth, more often than not the PS3 firmware updates usually include new, free features, and for a completely free online service, the PSN store has really come into it's own in terms of being streamlined and organized. (Much more organized than XBL these days ... what a freakin' mess of categories the blades and sections are over there, I can't WAIT for the re-design!)
    dude... are you kidding? the psn store is a complete cluster fuck of uncategorized shit. xbl isn't perfect, hell its far from perfect, but its still eons ahead of psn.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Quote Originally Posted by Poofta! View Post
    dude... are you kidding? the psn store is a complete cluster fuck of uncategorized shit. xbl isn't perfect, hell its far from perfect, but its still eons ahead of psn.
    It's hardly a "clusterfuck".

Have you seen it since it's been updated (twice now) from it's old internet browser form?

I'd hardly call it disorganized either.

Two main selections Games / Videos (TV, Movie, etc.)

From the games section you've got

• New Releases
    • Downloadable Games
    • All A-Z
    • Add-Ons
    • Demos
    • Trailers
    • Themes/Wallpapers
    • Staff Picks

and each of those selections breaks down into easily navigatible sections which include everything from chronological releases, to A-Z listings, to Genres.

It also helps navigating the "New Release" area that each item icon on the PSN has it's own color-coded and labeled bar at the bottom explaining what it is (VIDEO/THEME/WALLPAPER/MUSIC/TRAILER/DEMO/GAME).

And, it's all on ONE screen in ONE store, not spread out between practically THREE (or more) separate blades/sections like XBL (ie, you can find game videos randomly in NEW RELEASES, or GAMES, or GAME VIDEOS, or VIDEO MARKETPLACE) sorry man, but in it's current state I think XBL wins the prize for being a clusterfuck.

I can't even count the amount of times I've been pissed off to no end to see a game like Street Fighter II Turbo HD, or Penny Arcade in the NEW RELEASE section only to find that the only thing there is a fucking 100 point GAMERPIC.

And what the hell is the deal with the XNA Demos? Is the download section for those supposed to be some kind of "secret code"?? ... You have to like, go to your XBLA Arcade section and hit the Y button? How about giving the creators some credit and giving them their own freakin' labeled section!

XBLA needs a serious graphical overhaul and re-organization, and I'm sure MS knows that, which has to be one of many reasons they're revising the 360 menu interface.

Don't get me wrong ... I love the content on XBL, I just want MS to get their shit in order and get it organized, it's GROWN out of control, and it simply needs to be revised just like PSN was to great success IMO.
    Last edited by Frankie_Says_Relax; 08-06-2008 at 07:45 AM.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I always knew that your blind but that proves it,

I find the PSN store is 100x better to find stuff than 360 store, especially with how slow 360 store is, it's just brutal.

"With Great Power Comes Great Responisibility"
    Wanting to Collect full set of Super Nintendo Games as well as Dreamcast Games.

http://users.ign.com/collection/Lothars

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No problem here on my 80 gig since I got the 2.42 firm update

Proud owner of a PS3, Xbox 360, Nintendo Wii, PSP and 3DS

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Dude, yer nuts. End of story.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Did some testing last night with watching some movies and didn't have any problems. I'm going to side with "super small hairline cracks" causing my previous problems and I'll make more of a point to carefully inspect each disc I get in the mail before I watch 'em. I guess the going theory is that the mail sorting machines are causing problems because BDs are more susceptible to cracking than DVDs? Hrm.

At least they don't scratch as easily.

Still no problems with games.

Ryu Hayabusa (Level 16) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Oobgarm
    PSN
    Oobgarm
    Steam
    Oobgarm

No problems here. Movies and games work A-OK.
    RIP bargora, you will be greatly missed.That is how we do things on Giedion Prime.

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

Just to cover most bases on this issue, I ran a used copy of the Silent Hill movie that I picked up on Blu Ray last year (but never got around to watching) and played an extended game of Warhawk (Blu-Ray version) online and experienced absolutely zero issues with the system shutting down or flaking out.

I suppose only time will tell, but I've been very careful with my firmware downloads and very lucky with my lack of hardware issues with the PS3 so far.

If people are experiencing outrageously long download times on the PSN for things like firmware - that is, not "uniform" downloads with slow but evenly spaced out percentage increases, I'd STRONGLY reccomend changing your routers channel #.

I had mine on the default channel for the better part of a year and couldn't believe how awful the PSN's download speed was ... until I changed the channel to 1 and the DL speed increased by 25 to 50 percent. Could have been unreleated, but, again, everything I've read about corrupt firmware problems calls out bad/slow DL connections.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Could have been unreleated, but, again, everything I've read about corrupt firmware problems calls out bad/slow DL connections.
    That or people should download the firmware directly and update from there. Or plug their PS3 into a router (either as part of a wireless bridge or just right by the modem).

Aside from microcracks in discs which I guess are hard as hell to see, only a few retail discs have had problems...I think the latest Harry Potter was one of them? Apparently you had to mail in the disc to get a proper replacement.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

It sounds like most people aren't experiencing problems...which is great. I'm still going to hold off using my PS3 until I can back-up my PS1/PS2/PS3 save files.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

no issues here, and I've played PS2+3 games, blueray, and regular DVD.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

No issues for me after playing Soul Calibur IV for over 25 hours since upgrading to 2.42. But I haven't tried any Blu-Ray movies since the update.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Of course, why the PS3 doesn't do a firmware verify post download is beyond me.
    No kidding. That is elementary! It should also ask people when to install and please not to be turning off the PlayStation 3 or parachuting into a thunderstorm with the PS3 strapped to your back else you have a brick.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sudo View Post
    I've never had any problems updating my firmware, and it usually downloads extremely fast.

How fast is fast? Mine seems to take around 15-20 minutes for a firmware update every time. Pisses me off to no end. On the upside...no issues at all.
    scooterb: "I once shot a man in Catan, just to watch him die."

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

i downloaded the new update and watched Silent Hill on Blu-ray last night and no problems.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Young_Machete

Well I had a slight problem with SSDHD and Drake's Fortune, they both seemed to take a minute to load, which is even stranger for SSDHD since it's running directly off the drive. I'm starting to think that SSDHD was acting that way because of a background download and Drake's Fortune it's self had just been updated (which has problems of it's own), since I had no problems afterward.

I've noticed ever since 2.40 that a lot of people are complaining about problems and were trying to blame Sony in some way for their system crapping out on them. I'm sure a large majority of them are either doing something they aren't supposed to be doing (i.e. messing with firmware), or are just outright mistreating their system and want to blame someone for their ignorance.

Breaking Bad 3x02 - Caballo Sin Nombre