Thread: Sega Master System Ports vs Arcade Originals

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Sega Master System Ports vs Arcade Originals

I would like to know if my nostalgia is clouding my judgment here. SMS was my childhood system but I really think some of the arcade ports rival or even better their arcade counterparts.

Wonder Boy In Monster Land - This one is pretty close. I think I like the graphics better on the SMS overall, but I hate that the difficulty is so toned down. I like to play the Mark III version because the difficulty is cranked.

Hang On - Graphics are way better in the arcade but I always found the SMS port more fun to play.

Shinobi - Maybe the best example of an arcade port on SMS. The graphics may not compare but I really think the SMS has better game play. Its def alot different of a game, the arcade is more fast paced shooting, while SMS has a more strategic feel to it.

Space Harrier - Arcade version wins here hands down, but I am still impressed with the SMS port overall.

After Burner - Arcade wins this one too.

Quartet - I like SMS version better, love the music!

Outrun - SMS just cannot do the arcade type scaling, but the SMS is a great port considering hardware.

Anyone care to add?

I didn't include newer titles like Golden Axe and Eswat because I never played them much on SMS.
    My System History in order of purchase: Coleco Vision - Master System - Genesis - Game Gear - Sega CD - 32X - Saturn - Nomad - PS1 - Dreamcast - PS2 - DS - PS3 (60GB) - PSP - 360.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    9 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    megasdkirby
    PSN
    megasdkirby

The SMS version of Eswat plays similar to the arcade contrary to the Genesis version. Many levels are there, though not all.

Arcade wins hands down, there is no question about it. But the SMS version is ok in it's own right.
    Proud owner of a Neo 25 Neo Geo Candy Cab!

Pac-Man (Level 10) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've heard several people who like SMS Double Dragon. Sure the stages and whatnot where close to the arcade version, but the actual game was nothing like it, and it was pretty damn bad. The NES game wasn't a very faithful port, but it was a great game.