Thread: P Moore Interview Pt 1-3,DC End,Xbox End,Buying Nintendo,Fixiating On Sony,Rare Sucks

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default P Moore Interview Pt 1-3,DC End,Xbox End,Buying Nintendo,Fixiating On Sony,Rare Sucks

I just thought this was an interesting article to include in todays news threads. As the title says, Peter looks back on struggling to try and make the Dreamcast a contender in the next gen war(at the time): http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/ne...-system/?biz=1

Also be sure to read the attached "Guardian" link for more insight into this story.

Edit: Now Parts 2: http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/ne...on-sony/?biz=1 and Part 3: http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/ne...-past-rare-by/ of the interview are up. Peter dishes on Acquiring Nintendo, why they had to abandon the original Xbox so early, fixiating on Sony and why Rare is no longer a premiere developer.
    Last edited by The 1 2 P; 09-17-2008 at 01:49 PM.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Clownzilla

I think that Sega needs to team up with Apple or Samsung and make a new system. I'm sure that both of these partners would LOVE to get into this money making market and they both have the funds and technology to make it work all while Sega would have the huge backlog of intellectual property and game programming expertise.
    Wherever politics tries to be redemptive, it is promising too much. Where it wishes to do the work of God, it becomes not divine, but demonic.

Pope Benedict XVI

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Thanks for the link.

Best part is how the 2k sports name came about, at least he's honest

The Dreamcast really was one of those systems that almost had it. Wish it had turned out better though, long live the DC!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    E Nice Geo

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by Clownzilla View Post
    I think that Sega needs to team up with Apple or Samsung and make a new system. I'm sure that both of these partners would LOVE to get into this money making market and they both have the funds and technology to make it work all while Sega would have the huge backlog of intellectual property and game programming expertise.
    Wasn't Microsoft intersted in buying Sega awhile back but Sega didn't want that so instead chose to merged with Sammy instead? Had they gone with Microsoft wouldn't that have basically brought them back? Perhaps not that simple but seeing as how they were from the days of Dreamcast to the merger to present day...was it the best choice to make? Then again, it's Sega.
    Murk: We will bring you Bob Barker. We will bring you the limp and beaten body of Bob Barker! - BTVS

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

A really sad story .... SEGA always represented that edge of gaming that could and never will be matched. Now, SEGA lost all the magic and is playing to win the green shit more than create a gaming experience.
    Las calles no son basurero, POR FAVOR TIREN LA BASURA EN SU LUGAR !!!!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

I really respect Peter Moore and think he has made some really wise decisions in his career and has been at the fore front to some of the most pivotal moments in gaming.

I think like Trip Hawkins he has a vision but that vision has yet to become reality. It seems like those two guys have always pushed things forward, but only enough to be inspirations but never enough to be the top dogs.

I think Moore and Hawkins should team up and do something together but at this point I think most of what both of them have strived for has almost come to fruition, it would be nice to see them step in this next generation though and get the ball rolling.

Pushing the envelope is what it is all about and I like the gradual steps they seem to take with converting one form of media into another and doing it fairly well and just enough to cater to all gamers.

I think there is still many untapped outlets for making games without gaming becoming full on virtual reality and if virtual reality does eventually "i'm sure it will" come to be mainstream then I would like to see these guys leading it cause I think they have what it takes to enter gaming into that void.

This might be a little left field, but I don't think i'm the only one that feels this way....maybe I am.

Anyway yeah, Dreamcast is/was very ahead of its time.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eskobar View Post
    Now, SEGA lost all the magic and is playing to win the green shit more than create a gaming experience.
    You see, it's because of people like you that Sega fails. You don't bother to check out their solid gold when it comes out because you write off all of their modern work as total failures. You're the target market for the Yakuza series and you completely shun it because it's not titled, "Shenmue 3".

It's because of people like you that games like Outrun 2006, Rez, Virtua Fighter 5 and Ghost Squad under perform. Hopefully you pull your head out of your ass in time for Valkyrie of the Battlefield.

You know why they keep churning out shitty Sonic game after shitty Sonic game? Because they sell. Maybe if their better first party properties would actually move some units then they'd have more incentive to further explore them.

Hey, if you can't get behind their solid original IPs or great PS2 retro packs, at least they're publishing some respectable third party software from Monolith (Condemned 2) and Gearbox (Aliens: Colonial Marines) not to mention having bought out The Creative Assembly (Total War series).

DP's favorite trollbait Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FoxhackDN
    Steam
    Foxhack

I love my Dreamcast.

I just wish they'd gone with DVDs instead of GDRom discs. If the system had had DVD playback, it would've kept going for a lot longer... but I guess the license was just too costly to add to the system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmond Dantes View Post
    I can't tell if we're discussing My Little Pony or Neon Genesis Evangelion anymore.
    eBay Auctions / GameTZ profile / DP Feedback / Youtube / Twitter / RateYourMusic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Angry Wtf ??????

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    You know why they keep churning out shitty Sonic game after shitty Sonic game? Because they sell. Maybe if their better first party properties would actually move some units then they'd have more incentive to further explore them.

Hey, if you can't get behind their solid original IPs or great PS2 retro packs, at least they're publishing some respectable third party software from Monolith (Condemned 2) and Gearbox (Aliens: Colonial Marines) not to mention having bought out The Creative Assembly (Total War series).

WTF !????

Do you even know what i like ??????

Did you even read what i wrote ???

I totally agree with you !!!!!!!!!!

When did SEGA started to release poor games ? ... after they left the hardware business. That's when they began to lost their magic and became playing to get the money before the gaming experience synonymous of SEGA.

It's because people like me that SEGA has survived ... did you bought the overpriced saturn on its launch ?? ... or did you feel cheated when your 32x was abandoned by SEGA ?? ... did you pay full price for games like seaman ??? .... i now that SEGA produces much more shit now because i BUY that shit and it pisses me to lose confidence in my favorite console developer.

I absolutely love SEGA and one of my favorite games of all time is REZ and Jet Set Radio. Both games are a brilliant example of what SEGA was.

Those great games have become almost extinct and Ryou Ga Gotoku is one of those brilliant games that only SEGA can produce.

Please read before attacking me.
    Last edited by eskobar; 09-16-2008 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Addition

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Unhappy :(

Quote Originally Posted by Kitsune Sniper View Post
    I love my Dreamcast.

I just wish they'd gone with DVDs instead of GDRom discs. If the system had had DVD playback, it would've kept going for a lot longer... but I guess the license was just too costly to add to the system.
    I do not think that was SEGA's fault ... pirates are to blame, no matter the system, they always find a way to make money with the IP of another company.

The same goes for the people that buy pirate games .... and yes, Mexico is full of that shit ...

I really get angry just thinking about the last days of the Dreamcast ... that console was very well designed.

Pac-Man (Level 10)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    jdotaku

peter moore is brilliant I've always felt. MS buying sega would be brilliant then maybe I could finally get Shenmue 3 on my 360!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Default :D

Quote Originally Posted by otaku View Post
    peter moore is brilliant I've always felt. MS buying sega would be brilliant then maybe I could finally get Shenmue 3 on my 360!
    At least you should be happy that Microsoft bought Shenmue 2 for the XBOX ... damn it, they made me spend much more to get the PAL shenmue for DC ..

Should be interesting to read or hear comments of Bernie Stolar about the failure of the Saturn ... and why the hell he gave that hidden booth for Working Desings in the 97's E3 that broke the relations between them and SEGA, along the premature announcement of the Dreamcast ...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by eskobar View Post
    Should be interesting to read or hear comments of Bernie Stolar about the failure of the Saturn ... and why the hell he gave that hidden booth for Working Desings in the 97's E3 that broke the relations between them and SEGA, along the premature announcement of the Dreamcast ...
    Working Designs' booth wasn't hidden, it was just tucked a little bit to the back a bit, over in the corner. You couldn't miss it if you were walking towards the Virtual On setup and it's not like Working Designs had anything to show anyway other than a Sega Ages video, a monitor showing Magic Knight Rayearth (I think) and some unfinished Lunar videos (which at the time was so comically delayed and late that no one thought it was coming out anyway). Vic Ireland is just a big fucking crybaby and at that point Working Designs was completely irrelevant to Sega.

I mean, when they do finally release the final Saturn game (Magic Knight Rayearth), they never actually manage to completely sell out of it for the remainder of the time that they were in operation. That's a damn near 10 year span right there.

The Dreamcast wasn't announced premature, either. They just took too damn long to launch it in the US. It didn't get the best of receptions in Japan (the TRU I was at didn't even sell out on launch day, IIRC...though the launch lineup didn't really help), but that sucker sold like fucking hotcakes when it initially launched in the US....nearly a year later.

If you want to talk premature, let's talk about the amazingly stupid surprise launch of the Saturn. The only ones who won out on that were Sony and Nintendo.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by roushimsx View Post
    If you want to talk premature, let's talk about the amazingly stupid surprise launch of the Saturn. The only ones who won out on that were Sony and Nintendo.
    This is the only thing that i agree with you ... the Saturn was rushed and had a very primitive interface, just look at the save file storing system

I disagree with the WD booth, it was disrespectful to treat them that way; Vic Ireland may be a crying bitch but the devotion and quality of its products was beyond anything on the system and only below SEGA. I was fortunate enough to be in the 97 and 98 E3 for my Job and i do not know if the pulled some of their products because of that announcement.

i have always believed that the LUNAR games were an obvious SEGA exclusive, but i do not have the facts or press material to confirm this. That announcement sure made a lot of people trade their saturns inmediately for PS, remember the EB and babbages TRADE IN Saturn campaing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

We had a tremendous 18 months. Dreamcast was on fire – we really thought that we could do it. But then we had a target from Japan that said – and I can't remember the exact figures – but we had to make N hundreds of millions of dollars by the holiday season and shift N millions of units of hardware
    I was always perplexed by the cancellation of the Dreamcast. Why did they jump ship when they actually had a success? I think this quote explains it a bit. I'd like to hear more about this, and if it was really based on US figures not meeting X, or if it had more to do with Japanese and European sales (as DC was less popular outside of North America). Or I guess a combination, where the X is what US sales would've needed to be to make up for lackluster performance in Japan and Europe. But if they were thinking about Japanese sales, they had really bad timing -- January 31, 2001 was less than two months before the release of Sakura Taisen 3. I remember Sega ended up re-starting production of Japanese Dreamcast systems after the system had been discontinued, due to high demand.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheShawn
    Please highlight what a douche I am.

Lamer Gamer Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Geoffvdl
    PSN
    Geoffvdl

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    I was always perplexed by the cancellation of the Dreamcast. Why did they jump ship when they actually had a success? I think this quote explains it a bit. I'd like to hear more about this, and if it was really based on US figures not meeting X, or if it had more to do with Japanese and European sales (as DC was less popular outside of North America). Or I guess a combination, where the X is what US sales would've needed to be to make up for lackluster performance in Japan and Europe. But if they were thinking about Japanese sales, they had really bad timing -- January 31, 2001 was less than two months before the release of Sakura Taisen 3. I remember Sega ended up re-starting production of Japanese Dreamcast systems after the system had been discontinued, due to high demand.
    I think, from the evidence littering various interviews and articles strewn about This Great Internet, that Sega only really cared about how their products were doing in Japan, never realizing that Europe and North America were going to be more important over time. I mean, they went a whole, what, year and a half between the death of the Saturn and the release of the Dreamcast without a viable console in North America? That's the year and a half that saw everyone buy a Playstation or N64. What is known for truth is that Sega had been losing money for years prior to the Dreamcast launch in the US; Isao Okawa was funding Dreamcast development out of his own pocket at one point. Not a sign of a healthy platform holder. I loves me some Sega, but they were managed by fucking idiots.

This is all conjecture and guesswork, of course. We'll never know. However it happened, the games from the Dreamcast era are fantastic. And to this day, every once in a while they knock another one out of the park(Valkryia and Yakuza, for example).

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Bump for adding parts 2 and 3. Very interesting read and make sure to read the attached "Guardian" link for the full interview.
    ALL HAIL THE 1 2 P
    Quote Originally Posted by THE 1 2 P
    Why? Once you've seen one partially-exposed butthole you've seen them all.