Thread: What's the easiest way to mod ps2 to play jap-import games?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default What's the easiest way to mod ps2 to play jap-import games?

I wanna buy some japanese games i saw and was wondering how or where i can purchase the device or software?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The simplest method would be to purchase a japanese PS2.

Everything is tricky and pricey. A standard Magic 3.1 mod is very difficult, not cheap, and alters the way the PS2 needs to be turned on. It's a Pain in the ass, but it works. It also has the effect of making it possible to play backups of games you own.

A japanese PS2 would be easier IMO. maybe not cheaper.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Peach (Level 3)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Ghsqb

Do a search with Google on Messiah 2.
    That would be your best best.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That does seem like a better chip than the magic. It has features that are better, and looks easier to use after modification.
    ... for your gaming and iPod service needs http://www.oldschoolgamer.com/ For all your Video Game console and iPod upgrade/repair needs!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Not sure what is so hard about remembering to tap the power for ps2 games or hold the power down for 2 seconds for psx games and movies.. anyway..

There are several chips that are easy to install and quite legal now that a loophole was found with flashable bio's mod chips. (MOD chips have to be flashed with code to work therefore the manufacturers pass the buck of breaking the "law" to you.)

The problem with moding the PS2 is not in the chip as many are super easy to install now, its in getting the PS2 apart and back together again. The PS2 is built like a notebook computer.. there are like 4 paper thin ribbon cables to the DVD drive alone. Makes the PSOne 6 wire chips seem like a cakewalk.
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    petewhitley

Not sure what is so hard about remembering to tap the power for ps2 games
    Tap the power? Hmmm... I must be out of the loop on that. Let me know that technique, I'm going to Japan next month and I'll bring back all sorts of goodness if there's an easy and free way to play imports.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

When a system is modded with a magic 3.1, you have to tap the power once to get it to boot PS2 games, and the game MUST be in the drive ALREADY when the PS2 is powered on. (means you mus turn machine off after changing games, and turn on again) To Boot DVD's and PS1 games you must hold the power button on until the blue eject light comes on, then release. Sometimes, to switch back to PS2 mode, I have to flip the switch at the back of the machine.

All in all, it works. Howvever, it does not function as 'elegantly' as it did pre modded. Games must be already in at power on. It used to "just work", now that it's modded, you have to do everything just right. Don't get me wrong, if you need the mod to play imports, it's a way to go. I did mine to see if I could. I could. Now I have a modded machine, that has no use for the mod. Guess I oughta buy some imports!

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

My 2 cents, since no one has mentioned it yet...Radeon you were right, the Swap Disc and Flip Top is crap. It works with the game that I have (DoDonPachi 3) but the game has a boss rush mode and an art gallery that I can't access because the system needs to reboot in order to load those modes. So I can play the main game fine, but I can't access the goodies.

I've also heard Soul Calibur II won't work with this set up and Psyvar (another shmup) won't work either. Nice idea, but I have to say I'm convinced that a chip or a Japanese PS2 is the way to go.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by omnedon
    When a system is modded with a magic 3.1, you have to tap the power once to get it to boot PS2 games, and the game MUST be in the drive ALREADY when the PS2 is powered on. (means you mus turn machine off after changing games, and turn on again)

This is incorrect, you only need to reset the machine when inserting a game. Say you just got done playing Xenosaga dvd-9 rip and want to play DC2, you would eject xenosaga, insert dc2 and tap the reset/power button.

At least that is what I hear...

*WALKS AWAY BACKWARDS...SLOWLY*
    Fear your thoughts because they become your words
    Fear your words because they become your actions
    Fear your actions because they become your habits
    Fear your habits because they become your character
    Fear your character because it becomes your destiny

Therefore: Thinking and nurturing positive thoughts, at any point in your life, can change your destiny.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I called this place near me yesterday and they said that they have a mod where you replace the top of the system with the other one and the drawer then has a flip up door attached to it or somethin?you guys heard of this thing?It's $60 they also said they can mod it internally for $120 does this sound like a good deal?And where online can i get prices for jap ps2?

Ladd Spencer (Level 17) Captain Wrong's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Captain Wrong
    PSN
    Captain Wrong

Yeah, that's the mod I just posted about as being crap.

And those Flip Top lids are only $30 bucks on-line, so I'd think about getting anything done somewhere else unless you want to overpay. There's not $30 worth of labor in that replacement.

Even with the Swap Discs, you're talking $50 total, and believe me, it's not worth it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

*WALKS AWAY BACKWARDS...SLOWLY*

Hmmm. I'll try that. I do think however, I may have been happier overall if I'd gone with a Messiah over the magic. Next time I'll try the Messiah.

I have no problem being corrected. It's when I'm insulted and treated like a criminal that I get my back up. I wubs you Raedon!!

:P

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Wrong
    Yeah, that's the mod I just posted about as being crap.

And those Flip Top lids are only $30 bucks on-line, so I'd think about getting anything done somewhere else unless you want to overpay. There's not $30 worth of labor in that replacement.

Even with the Swap Discs, you're talking $50 total, and believe me, it's not worth it.

So in your opinion whats the best thing to get the job and be able to play most jap games?All of the games i want are like $69.99 since they're either new,or unreleased and I don't wanna be stuck with a high dollar game I can't even play.