Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dragon Quest X is now a MMORPG for Wii and Wii U...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Default Dragon Quest X is now a MMORPG for Wii and Wii U...

Interesting, yet not that surprising...

http://kotaku.com/5106136/dragon-quest-x-coming-to-wii

I'm just thankful Square Enix is putting the series back on consoles. DQVIII is one of the best RPG's ever made (IMO). If they return to that artistic style and orchestrated music, DQX could be legendary.
    Last edited by heybtbm; 09-05-2011 at 12:35 PM.
    "One of the ways I gauge a DS game is by recharges. "...Tycho (Penny Arcade)

Pac-Man (Level 10) mailman187666's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

I found out about this today and am very pleased to hear the announcement. They are talking about DGX before we even get our DQ9 here in the states though. We should technically still be excited for 9.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Tempest 2084
    PSN
    Tempest 2084

They're announcing the sequel before the next game is even out? Geez, how about finishing the one you've started before announcing the next one?

I just hope they don't go overboard with the motion controls. DQ: Swords was fun, but the controls needed work and your arm was burning after only an hour or so. You can't do that for a 40+ hour RPG...

Tempest
    --- www.AtariProtos.com ---
    All Your Prototypes Are Belong To Us!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by mailman187666 View Post
    They are talking about DGX before we even get our DQ9 here in the states though. We should technically still be excited for 9.
    DQIX isn't even out in Japan til March. Weird that they're making two at the same time.

Pear (Level 6)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Saw this coming a mile away, unfortunately. I guess I'll be re-buying a Wii when it comes out.

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

I'll buy this game. I won't buy a Wii. I've played barely any games that I've actually enjoyed for the system.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I couldn’t care less about this series, but the timing of the announcement does smack as being pretty strange and even a little arrogant. Get 9 out, and then tell us about 10!
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Yo Joe! Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post
    Xbox LIVE
    ladyjaye75
    PSN
    ladyjaye75

Heh, I'm still waiting for DQV and VI to come out here (2 more months till Dragon Quest V)...

And why the hate on the fact that DQIX is coming out on DS? DQVIII was an old-school RPG with cel-shading... I like being able to play RPGs on the go, and the Wii isn't currently on my to-buy list.

Either way, looks like Squeenix is repeating history by shunning Sony this time around.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Quote Originally Posted by Lady Jaye View Post
    And why the hate on the fact that DQIX is coming out on DS?
    Not hate, just disappointment. For starters, how about the tiny screen and shitty speakers? The DS is best suited for remakes and retro ports, not A-list RPG franchises. The ability to take the game "on the road" is nice, but not enough to forgive the sacrifices that have to be made to fit the game on the DS.

I'm sure DQIX will be a great game, but not as great as it could've been on a console. Once DQIX and DQX are released I think the distinctions between the two will be more than obvious. After year or so when people are familiar with both games, I think the percentage of people who prefer the DS presentation over the Wii will be very small.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Well I'm with Lady too, while I'm sure I'll enjoy a 3D DQX just like I enjoyed DQVIII, I still prefer the old school sprite style in turn based RPGs, which I'm guessing DQIX will most likely be since it's going handheld.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    BuckyBKatt
    PSN
    Bucky_B_Katt

I really wish that this was coming for the 360/PS3 just because of all the extra features it could have, online, DLC, achievements. I'll still be buying it for the Wii I'm just not a big fan of the idea.

Also the Wii-mote isn't designed for extended gaming IMO.

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by RCM View Post
    I couldn’t care less about this series, but the timing of the announcement does smack as being pretty strange and even a little arrogant. Get 9 out, and then tell us about 10!
    Considering one's a handheld game and the other for home console I wouldn't call this arrogant or strange. It's a reassurance that the DS release is just a one off.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    Considering one's a handheld game and the other for home console I wouldn't call this arrogant or strange. It's a reassurance that the DS release is just a one off.
    DQIX is a true sequel in the series, regardless of platform. If it breaks sales records, which is possible given the series and platform, expect more to follow. Maybe more direct sequels on future handheld hardware, and almost certainly more spin-offs on DS.

We all knew DQX was coming, but as far as I know it's not standard practice to formally announce sequels to titles you've yet to release. That's what raised my brow. And yeah, they can be arrogant, they can be whatever they want; it's DQ after all, but still...
    I don't want you to hate me, I want you to want to hate me - GamersUniteMagazine.com

Lvl 99 Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    3 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    Nymphomatic

Quote Originally Posted by RCM View Post
    DQIX is a true sequel in the series, regardless of platform. If it breaks sales records, which is possible given the series and platform, expect more to follow. Maybe more direct sequels on future handheld hardware, and almost certainly more spin-offs on DS.
    My point was so many people were alarmed by the prospects of the flagship series moving to handheld, that the Wii announcement reads more as fanning the flames than anything else.

Not to mention with so many different developers actually producing these games (arte piazza, level 5 I know have worked on the series to date) and taking into consideration the amount of time it takes to actually finish a game it's not surprising to hear *something*. While IX is slated for next year, who knows what stage of production X is in.

As you said, we all knew X was coming. It's not like they're hyping it with screens and info before IX is out the door. They're just cluing us in to the system we can expect it on. I don't think that's premature.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Daria View Post
    My point was so many people were alarmed by the prospects of the flagship series moving to handheld, that the Wii announcement reads more as fanning the flames than anything else.

Not to mention with so many different developers actually producing these games (arte piazza, level 5 I know have worked on the series to date) and taking into consideration the amount of time it takes to actually finish a game it's not surprising to hear *something*. While IX is slated for next year, who knows what stage of production X is in.

As you said, we all knew X was coming. It's not like they're hyping it with screens and info before IX is out the door. They're just cluing us in to the system we can expect it on. I don't think that's premature.
    I understood your point, and don't think there's any real way to measure how alarmed the public might be.

More than that, it's not like the only major series with multiple developers. Anyway, I got your point, hope you got mine.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    The Shamemaker
    PSN
    heybtbm
    Steam
    The_Shamemaker

Dragon Quest X is a MMORPG. For Wii and Wii U.

How "massive" it will be is unknown at this time.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/119/1192545p1.html

Good news is if you play by yourself, AI will fill in the other characters. So many unanswered questions. I really don't know what I think about this yet.
    Last edited by heybtbm; 09-05-2011 at 12:39 PM.

Pac-Man (Level 10) Rickstilwell1's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts
    PSN
    TheGameCollector

Quote Originally Posted by heybtbm View Post
    Dragon Quest X is a MMORPG. For Wii and Wii U.

How "massive" it will be is unknown at this time.

http://wii.ign.com/articles/119/1192545p1.html

Good news is if you play by yourself, AI will fill in the other characters. So many unanswered questions. I really don't know what I think about this yet.
    So basically, it is possibly the first MMORPG that also has an offline 1-player mode that shares the same areas as the online version?
    [quote name='Shidou Mariya' date='Nov 17 2010, 10:05 PM' post='4889940']
    I'm a collector, but only to a certain extent.
    Not as extreme as Rickstilwell though.[/quote]

Strawberry (Level 2)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

This is interesting at the very least. I wonder if it will be kind of a PSO-style approach where you can play offline with your character and then bring them online? It didn't work for PSO due to hacking but technology has progressed...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Dragon Quest has never disappointed for me, though it worries me if it is heavily weighted on being a MMORPG.
    <Evan_G> i keep my games in an inaccessable crate where i can't play them

Crono (Level 14) Custom rank graphic

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    15 Posts

You can play a few hours of the game’s opening offline, the FAQ answered, but afterwards players are required to connect to the Internet. Square Enix also says the game will have a usage fee, but the price has not been determined.
    http://www.siliconera.com/2011/09/06...est-x-offline/

I also speculate that the Wii version will be delayed until the Wii U version comes out. The Wii version will come out a month later.
    Everything in the above post is opinion unless stated otherwise.