Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Security bits/screwdrivers

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Security bits/screwdrivers

I'm looking to get a set of security bits or screwdrivers, but I'm not sure what sizes I'll need for each system and games. Basically, I want to be able to open up any system or game, I just need to know what bits are required for each.

Also, would it be better to get bits or the actual screwdrivers?
    And has anyone ever found these in actual stores (Radio Shack, Home Depot, Lowe's, etc) or are they only found online?

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    SirCyan

Quote Originally Posted by NES_Rules View Post
    Would it be better to get bits or the actual screwdrivers?
    I've found that bits work best, especially on systems such as the Xbox, where you'll be dealing with multiple screw types on one system. It's become second nature for me to just reach for the container of bits, slide a new one into the driver, and continue on.

Then there's the practical nature of it, in that bits obviously take up far less room than the same number of screwdrivers would.

On the other hand, there are a *lot* of cheap bits out there. A lot of them will strip very easily. It seems that it's a case of quality increasing with price, so I'd recommend going to your local quality hardware store (i.e., not Wal-Mart and buy a professional set.

As for security screws (NES, SNES, Wii, DS, et al), there do exist bits for those as well. I've only found them online, however. A tri-wing screwdriver bit is probably too much of an obscure item for any local hardware store to stock, unless that's a popular bit regionally somewhere. i.e. Robertson is a popular bit type in Canada, but virtually unknown in the US.

Now if I could only maintain a clean workbench as well as I maintain a set of screwdriver bits..

-RS.
    My: Collection | DP Feedback | eBay Feedback | FS/FT Thread
    RoadRunner X BBS; oldschool dialup BBS!
    Web: http://rrx.ca, Telnet: telnet://rrx.ca.
    Amateur Radio Callsign: VA6RRX

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Tri-wing is dirt cheap on dealextreme.com

1.49 with free shipping or something like that, and they take Paypal.

Great Puma (Level 12) Custom rank graphic
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    10 Posts

NES, SNES, Gameboy/Gameboy Color, and N64 games are held together with 3.88mm security screws. Sega games and every Nintendo console except for the NES and Wii use a 4.5mm security bit. Nintendo handhelds, GBA games, and the Wii/DS are held together with a triwing bit.

You could always use the "melt the pen and press" technique, but if you need it more than once, it's best to get one.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Is the tri-wing used more on modern systems (PS2 and newer)? I'm more concerned with the older stuff since I don't really have the knowledge to repair anything newer.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these bits:
    I think I'm leaning towards #2 since it does look longer than the others which is always good, I don't know about the quality of any of them.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

The only store where I've found security bits was a Sears hardware, otherwise online is the only place your likely to find any. My tri-wing came from a local electronics store. All my other bits I made myself by using a dremel on old flathead bits I had laying around. Pretty easy and cheap to make but I'm sure it's not for everyone.
    "Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Tri-wing handles Gameboys and DSs.

As for bits, unless you are starting a business almost any set will be okay for occasional use. In my experience I have never found a real quality set of security bits, only average ones, but they have functioned just fine.
    They call me Ha-do-ken, cause I'm down, right, fierce.

www.LANgaming.net
    www.RetroGoggles.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been using and loving my 3.8mm and 4.5mm bits for opening up most NES and Genesis games, but it seems some Genesis and Tengen NES games need a different bit.
    I searched everywhere for these bits but I can't find anything, primarily because every search just turns up the more common bits. Anyone know a place that sells these? Or at least a search term I can use to differentiate them from the other bits.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I have never needed to take apart a Tengen game. I will check it out tonight and let you know if I find a solution.

www.LANgaming.net
    www.RetroGoggles.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    hawtxdawg360

Tengen NES games used a torx screw. (The third screw is behind the rear label.)

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Here you go. I threw together a walkthrough of opening a Tengen cart with pictures. Let me know if I can be of any more help.

http://www.retrogoggles.com/?p=130

www.LANgaming.net
    www.RetroGoggles.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I've been using and loving my 3.8mm and 4.5mm bits for opening up most NES and Genesis games, but it seems some Genesis and Tengen NES games need a different bit.
    I searched everywhere for these bits but I can't find anything, primarily because every search just turns up the more common bits. Anyone know a place that sells these? Or at least a search term I can use to differentiate them from the other bits.
    I found a very nice set of bits on DealExtreme.com that has the bits for the Genesis and Tengen carts as well as the tri-wing bit you need for GBA games (and others).
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3723
    Plus, there are bits that will come in handy for other stuff as well.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I found a very nice set of bits on DealExtreme.com that has the bits for the Genesis and Tengen carts as well as the tri-wing bit you need for GBA games (and others).
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3723
    Plus, there are bits that will come in handy for other stuff as well.
    Wait, does that include that weird small-star-with-raised-pin-in-the-center screw that the all the Genesis Accolade carts I have use? That'd be interesting.. is that a 'security torx' or something?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    Wait, does that include that weird small-star-with-raised-pin-in-the-center screw that the all the Genesis Accolade carts I have use? That'd be interesting.. is that a 'security torx' or something?
    It does. I wasn't expecting it to, but once I got it I was pleasantly surprised to find that it opens up the Genesis carts as well. It's the same T10 torx bit that opens the Tengen NES games. AFAIK, not all T10 bits have the raised center, I don't know if there's a special name for it though.

Insert Coin (Level 0)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Cyan View Post
    I've found that bits work best, especially on systems such as the Xbox, where you'll be dealing with multiple screw types on one system. It's become second nature for me to just reach for the container of bits, slide a new one into the driver, and continue on.
    The exception to this is the Xbox 360 controller. I have the proper security bit, but the bit/driver is too wide to fit in the recessed hole that holds the screws on one side of the controller. The security bit I have for opening NES/SNES games has also been a bit tight on some NES cartridges. I've gotten them all open, but it was a bit of a pain.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

It does. I wasn't expecting it to, but once I got it I was pleasantly surprised to find that it opens up the Genesis carts as well. It's the same T10 torx bit that opens the Tengen NES games. AFAIK, not all T10 bits have the raised center, I don't know if there's a special name for it though.
    That's pretty cool, that'd be nice. What about the very strange screw type that some EA Genesis games use, though?

I mean, of the EA Genesis games I have, they use three different kind of screws:
    -Standard Phillips
    -Gamebit
    -the one I'm talking about, with these three wedges in the screw at diagonal angles... sort of like a triwing, but not connected in the center.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

For under $10 (may have even been under $5, don't remember) I bought a case filled with various bits at Microcenter a couple of years ago.

According to their website, they have a store in NE Ohio. I've used the bits to open up my XBox, so I know whatever was necessary for it was included. I think tri-wing bits are present also, but haven't ever used them so I'm not sure.
    "A 'Radical Centrist' ??? Isn't that like being a Take-No-Prisoners Pussy? " - Stephen Colbert
    My Resume
    My Blog

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by A Black Falcon View Post
    That's pretty cool, that'd be nice. What about the very strange screw type that some EA Genesis games use, though?

I mean, of the EA Genesis games I have, they use three different kind of screws:
    -Standard Phillips
    -Gamebit
    -the one I'm talking about, with these three wedges in the screw at diagonal angles... sort of like a triwing, but not connected in the center.
    I didn't know those existed, but I looked at an EA game and see exactly what you're talking about. There isn't a bit that fits perfectly in this kit, but there is one that does come close enough to work in a pinch, I was able to open up the game without a lot of trouble.
    In this picture, the one that is between the triangle and the star is the one I'm referring to,

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    62 Posts

In this picture, the one that is between the triangle and the star is the one I'm referring to,
    Is that one a spanner bit?

I've made my own pretty easily by dremiling old flathead bits and they can open many cartridges and systems.

"Game programmers are generally lazy individuals. That's right. It's true. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Since the dawn of computer games, game programmers have looked for shortcuts to coolness." Kurt Arnlund - Game programmer for Activision, Accolade...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by jb143 View Post
    Is that one a spanner bit?

I've made my own pretty easily by dremiling old flathead bits and they can open many cartridges and systems.

Yes, that's it. The size is just right to fit between two of the three slots in the screw and you can slowly turn the screw. I may try making one like you said as it's not the thickest of metal on the tips and feels like it may snap with some pressure.