Thread: Cocktail table pricing

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

Default Cocktail table pricing

I've got a chance to pick up a cocktail table arcade machine from a local burger joint nearby... the guy has agreed to sell it, but we are a bit on different levels concerning price (honestly, neither of us really know about arcade machine value). It's a multi-game table, has things like Pac-Man, Galaga, Galaxian, Burgertime, you get the idea. He mentions that it takes cards of some sort... sorry my arcade knowledge outside of dropping in a quarter and whooping ass is a bit slim. The coin mechanism doesn't work (main reason for sale apparently) and cosmetically it's seen better days.

So I'm asking the arcade gods for advice on what might possibly be my first dive into the world of coin-op... what would be a decent price to settle on so neither of us gets shafted?

EDIT: Looks a bit like this:

Wants:
    Starflight Starmap and Code Wheel
    Starflight II Starmap
    Got these for sale or trade? PM ME!!!

Don't do it...or,do. (shrugs) Custom rank graphic
    On permanent vacation from this bullshit.
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    FlyingBurrito76
    PSN
    FlyingBurrito76

While I'm not quite the pricing expert, I can tell you this from experience -

remember to factor in the cost of any potential repairs (just about anything cosmetic that you're going to attempt to repair outside of T-molding and paint probably isn't going to be as cheap as you'd expect it to) and if it's something that needs repairs that you're not capable of doing yourself - you're probably going to have to pay somebody who can for their time to help you fix it.

Do your best to gather the cost of the potential repairs/refurbishment before you come up with a figure to offer the current owner.
    "And the book says: 'We may be through with the past, but the past ain't through with us.'"

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Coin Mechs are probably one of the easiest things to replace on a game. I'm surprised he would sell it just because the coin mech is out. If it is a multicade like you say, minimum value on it would be $800.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

Is it a new one (like that one - they're actually still making them) or an old cabinet with a multicade board put in it (like a 48 in 1)

If it's a beat up cocktail with a 48-in-1 board then the board sells for about $100 on its own and I wouldn't pay more than 300 for the machine... so $400. Keep in mind DreamTR actually RUNS an arcade so he'd know better than I would - but that's just my opinion

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

Quote Originally Posted by DreamTR View Post
    Coin Mechs are probably one of the easiest things to replace on a game. I'm surprised he would sell it just because the coin mech is out. If it is a multicade like you say, minimum value on it would be $800.

The one that works (looks like the one I am interested in) has a game selection screen like the one above, so I am assuming that this one has that as well. There are maybe 8 games on the working one. Hopefully I can get 'em to fire the thing up so I can get a GOOD look at what I am waving my money towards.
    Wants:
    Starflight II Starmap

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

I bought my Ms Pac Man Coctail Table from a Flea Market....Pretty beat up for $250.00(orig was $350.00)..It was tested there but I could see it had issues.
    Nonetheless this machine is a Holy Grail to me so I wasn't passing it up.I would of restored it from the ground up...I've always wanted to own one and running into one in a flea market I almost Pooped myself..

I don't know everything but enough on how to fix them..A Newer type machine will be much easier to fix as it won't have so much wiring.
    The older.original machines have lots of fuse block issues..

It cleaned up well but I had to put in:
    $180.00 New Glass and Overlay
    Thought it needed a Monitor but making Monitor Adjustments fixed it.
    Coin Door I replaced but I took it off of another Midway machine/looks the same

New Board $100.00..bought original Ms Pac Man Board to keep the machine original...Sold broken board
    I put 4 corner protectors on it and special bottom edge protectosr that I make up..Keeps feet from tearing up the bottom area..
    ...........I also added wheels to it that are hidden..The machine looks like it's on the ground but it can roll if I need to move it.

I need to install a new cooling fan..

Otherwise I love owning it..It's a Keeper...

check here for prices on things.
    http://www.pac-man.com/mspacman/cocktail/out/

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v2...t=e2b3b0f4.pbw

Authordreamweavervisionar yplusactor Arcade Antics's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Sabz5150 View Post
    It's a multi-game table, has things like Pac-Man, Galaga, Galaxian, Burgertime, you get the idea. He mentions that it takes cards of some sort... The coin mechanism doesn't work (main reason for sale apparently) and cosmetically it's seen better days.
    My two cents:

How beat up is the cabinet? Non-working coin mech is no big deal, but beat up 48-in-1 conversions are a dime a dozen. If it looks shabby and has one of those $95 multigame boards in it, it's really only worth the hardware and that board. Personally, I'd recommend passing on it unless you can get it for $300 or less. It all depends on how much you want it though, maybe to you it's well worth double that price. Like anything else, the market will dictate what he can get for it, and right now you can't turn around without tripping over one of those multicabs.

Another thing to keep in mind is that beat up but working JAMMA cabs are relatively easy to find and usually inexpensive. If you were so inclined, you could find one, buy one of those multigame PCBs, and you'd have the same end product for around $200. Mileage may vary of course based upon what kind of cabinet you want, condition, etc.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arcade Antics View Post
    My two cents:

How beat up is the cabinet? Non-working coin mech is no big deal, but beat up 48-in-1 conversions are a dime a dozen. If it looks shabby and has one of those $95 multigame boards in it, it's really only worth the hardware and that board. Personally, I'd recommend passing on it unless you can get it for $300 or less. It all depends on how much you want it though, maybe to you it's well worth double that price. Like anything else, the market will dictate what he can get for it, and right now you can't turn around without tripping over one of those multicabs.

Another thing to keep in mind is that beat up but working JAMMA cabs are relatively easy to find and usually inexpensive. If you were so inclined, you could find one, buy one of those multigame PCBs, and you'd have the same end product for around $200. Mileage may vary of course based upon what kind of cabinet you want, condition, etc.

If you can buy cocktail multicades for $300, you'd be a very rich man. They ALWAYS hit more than double that price. I was just at an auction 2 weeks ago where things are supposed to be cheap and they were hitting $750-850.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    SkaarDragoon

If you have an 8 game selection it's probably one of those newer licensed ones - but still I wouldn't go over 400

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If you can buy cocktail multicades for $300, you'd be a very rich man. They ALWAYS hit more than double that price. I was just at an auction 2 weeks ago where things are supposed to be cheap and they were hitting $750-850.
    I didnt post that people sell complete cocktail machines for $300 though. The post was that folks who frequent this forum might want to trade a few dollars for the effort of tracking down pieces to put together their own because it's relatively easy to do. Which is exactly why you see so many dealers doing just that - they put $200 into a multicade box and try to sell it for $750 and up. If the OP hadn't considered that it's doable with a little legwork, now he has that option to consider before going forward with the machine he found.

Doesn't surprise me that they went for that price at an auction. Like anything else, it depends on the regional market and the buyers.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Arcade Antics View Post
    I didnt post that people sell complete cocktail machines for $300 though. The post was that folks who frequent this forum might want to trade a few dollars for the effort of tracking down pieces to put together their own because it's relatively easy to do. Which is exactly why you see so many dealers doing just that - they put $200 into a multicade box and try to sell it for $750 and up. If the OP hadn't considered that it's doable with a little legwork, now he has that option to consider before going forward with the machine he found.

Doesn't surprise me that they went for that price at an auction. Like anything else, it depends on the regional market and the buyers.
    That's the thing though. Like with anything you need to "know how to do this", and it being a service, it makes no sense for the guy owning it to get lowballed to oblivion with a $300 offer on a multicade. I mean, you can get almost anything "sourced" at cost if you know where to look, and no one would buy retail, but I understand this is a different story. I would never offer someone something like that for what it could "cost", because it's not including time and labor to get the thing up and running correctly from the start with all the changes that need to be made (converted) from an existing one..I would offer $500, meet somewhere in the middle.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts
    PSN
    Sabz5150

Excellent, I've got a bit more knowledge going into this now. If I do plunk down for the table, you guys will know about it
    Wants:
    Starflight II Starmap

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

That's the thing though. Like with anything you need to "know how to do this", and it being a service, it makes no sense for the guy owning it to get lowballed to oblivion with a $300 offer on a multicade. I mean, you can get almost anything "sourced" at cost if you know where to look, and no one would buy retail, but I understand this is a different story. I would never offer someone something like that for what it could "cost", because it's not including time and labor to get the thing up and running correctly from the start with all the changes that need to be made (converted) from an existing one..I would offer $500, meet somewhere in the middle.
    Sorry, I see where the confusion is now.

I didn't mean to suggest he should offer $300, and looking back, I can see where it might read that way. I meant maybe the seller would just offer it up for $300, not that the buyer should offer $300, and agree with everything you posted.

ServBot (Level 11)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

The seller just might if the reason why he is selling it is because it won't take coins anymore. That would be a heck of a deal!

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

If it doesn't accept coins any more, there could be quite a few reasons why. Broken coin mech is actually least likely. Bad switch could be culprit, or even blown input on the board.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

From the OP's posts, it seems he hasn't actually really spent much time with the machine in question. Before making ANY kind of offer, have the seller turn it on and let you mess around with it. Look for oddities when it's starting up, anything strange with the display, controls, etc. It sounds like you're just starting to lean into the hobby, it's best to start out with a machine that you can learn with (fix things as they go bad rather than start below a mess of parts).

I bought a Galaxian cocktail for $500 last summer and haven't regretted it once. I had the chance to observe the machine operating and play the machine over the course of an entire weekend (California Extreme) so I felt confident parting with my money and paying more than some would pay. I've had to do a little work on it (mainly cosmetic stuff, reworking a lamp, installing a coin mech, replacing a control knob, etc.) and I need to replace the power switch (broke the sucker from normal wear so it's hardwired right now), but all that was small stuff that was fun to diagnose and repair.

Speaking of which, since most of the arcade experts are here... Anyone know of a good source for a replacement power switch for a Galaxian cocktail? It uses a pushbutton switch with a really long stem. Last time I had it out I read it needed to be rated for something like 6A which seemed overkill to me. I figure the answer will be "look at the switch or your schematic and replace it with the same" but a fast answer would be great.

RACES MINI MOTORCYCLES Videogamerdaryll's Avatar
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    4 Posts
    Xbox LIVE
    TSMMR 47
    PSN
    Player 47

Default David

Try
    The Real Bob Roberts

Not sure if he has the switch but he may be able to get it..

http://personal.msy.bellsouth.net/b/o/bob147/

or
    http://www.betson.com/
    http://www.happcontrols.com/

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

I'd just replace the switch with a SPST switch. Get it at most any hardware store.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    12 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Peale View Post
    I'd just replace the switch with a SPST switch. Get it at most any hardware store.
    Thats what I figured. I was going to toss one of these in with my next parts order since it looks like it would fit the mounting hole perfectly. Finding a switch with a small enough pushbutton to fit through the mounting plate has been the problem. I do have one more electronics supply store to check first however. Thanks!

Apple (Level 5)
    Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Peale View Post
    If it doesn't accept coins any more, there could be quite a few reasons why.
    Probably because even the machine knows how worthless they are.